Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 07-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Banned

Default Colt New Frontier vs. Ruger Single Six?

Which would you choose and why? Is the New Frontier best compared to the Single Six or the Bearcat?

I was a single action revolver have been borrowing a Single Six and it seems rock solid and shoots well but it doesn't feel all that great in my hand. I haven't found a Colt to try yet.

Finally, is the Colt New Frontier pretty much indentical to the Peacemaker except for the sights? If not, which would be best for a set of large hands? Thanks.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have 4 Colts (3 are pristine) and 3 Single Sixes. I only shoot the one Colt because it is hammered finishwise. The Rugers are my sons favorite trick guns. He can twirl them and do the roadhouse flip. As for shooting the Colt is my favorite. It has a 7" barrel.
Old 07-31-2010, 3:01 PM
Banned

This topic is sure a difficult one to find information on via the web. I wish I could find both weapons in the same place so I could compare them.
Old 07-31-2010, 3:41 PM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Looking at the questions I am assuming you need a 22lr sa revolver.

For a 22lr I think it boils down to which one feels better to you, both Colt and Ruger are great guns.

If I assumed wrong and you need a centerfire sa revolver. I would choose the Ruger for the beefier frame and the ability to digest hotter loads. There is nothing wrong with the Colt NF and I used to have one in 45LC. I would feel worst if I scratch up the Colt vs Ruger !!
Old 07-31-2010, 4:22 PM

I received a Ruger Single Six for my birthday when I was a boy... the most exciting gift since the Chipmunk .22 rifle I received as an even younger boy. Well made pistol and lots of fun to shoot.

My father has a Bearcat propped up on a bookshelf over his desk. Cute little gun...not sure he has ever even fired it. Too small for a person with large hands, which you stated you have. Pretty tiny little thing.

I have never handled a Colt New Frontier, though I have put a few rounds through my father's Single Action Army, which is (of course) a beautiful pistol.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 07-31-2010, 5:28 PM
Veteran Member

One is a great revolver,the other is a Ruger. Pete
The problem is HEADSPACE between the ears!
Obama for 8 years will be the worst thing to happen to
our country since the Civil War.
Old 07-31-2010, 5:29 PM
In Memoriam

Both guns are "scaled down" for smaller hands. The COlt is a collector's piece, the Ruger a workhorse. If you want a gun for the safe, get a COlt. If you want to shoot it until the cylinder falls out, get a Ruger.
Old 08-01-2010, 6:09 PM
Calguns Addict

I've owned both. In a blued gun the Colt is finely finished and a good looker, the Ruger is a solid work horse. Between the two I'd pick the Colt. However the Ruger is available in stainless steel and that makes it more desirable for me. I sold both pistols but I bought another Ruger to replace the one I sold. I wont be selling this one.

Thanx, Russ
Old 08-01-2010, 6:12 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

I'd get the Colt and shoot it too! Guns and cars are worthless to me unless they are used for their original purpose. I just can't buy a gun to sit on and not shoot ever.
Old 08-02-2010, 7:34 AM

The biggest difference that I can tell, operationally, is that the Ruger (New Single Six) has a transfer bar making it safe to chamber 6 rounds while the Colt should always have the last chamber empty. But I haven't shot either yet so I don't know if that is a practical issue.
Old 08-02-2010, 8:59 AM
Veteran Member

I have a stainless single six and a blued single six. The stainless has the rosewood grips which are wider than the black synthetic grips that come on the blued ones. Each give the gun a completely different feel, I like the synthetic grips while my son likes the rosewood. I recommend you find a shop that has one of each in stock so you can see how they fit your hand. There are also a ton of aftermarket grips available for the single six.
Old 08-02-2010, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynoch View Post
I was a single action revolver have been borrowing a Single Six and it seems rock solid and shoots well but it doesn't feel all that great in my hand. Which would be best for a set of large hands?
I love my Single Six, but the stock grips were too small for me. I got a cheap set of aftermarket grips from CDNN that are larger, and now the gun fits me fine, plus they look decent. I even got another set for my Blackhawk. One caution: some minor fitting is required.

It doesn't appear like they have the ones that fit the Single Six currently, but here's the same ones for the Super Blackhawk: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/woodsupblacc.html
Old 08-02-2010, 7:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bob View Post
The stainless has the rosewood grips which are wider than the black synthetic grips that come on the blued ones.
Darn it now I need the black grips for my SS model........

Thanx, Russ
Old 08-03-2010, 1:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bob View Post
I have a stainless single six and a blued single six. The stainless has the rosewood grips which are wider than the black synthetic grips that come on the blued ones. Each give the gun a completely different feel, I like the synthetic grips while my son likes the rosewood. I recommend you find a shop that has one of each in stock so you can see how they fit your hand. There are also a ton of aftermarket grips available for the single six.
Great feedback, thanks. The SS I borrowed has the stock wood grips. They felt very "short" in my hands -- the butt end of the grip was sorta digging into my palm.