Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:11 PM
TheAyatollahofRocknRolla!
CGN Contributor

Default S&W date of manufacture by serial number (and other S&W revolver questions)

So, I understand that there is a book that allows the owner to look up manufacture dates of S&W's based on their serial number. I saw this on another forum, and since I didn't want to cheat on my favorite forum, I was wondering if anybody might have access to this book and be able to help me out (since I really have no use for the book, and I work three jobs, so money is tight).

My father recently gave me a S&W 586-1 6" (with the "M" stamp) that he bought some time ago. I was curious as to when it was manufactured.

Hopefully this can help out others as well, and if there is already a thread for this, I apologize. I did do a search but didn't go too terribly far back.

Thanks!

I love my Country, but I (fear) my government.

"We have transformed ourselves into a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers" - Unknown (to me)

Last edited by Dooligan; 08-11-2010 at 4:57 PM.. Reason: need more help
Old 07-28-2010, 12:32 PM

I know Taures has one, but I think the only one sw has is a mail in one where you have to contact sw. I'm sure theres a sw guru that would know or have a "cheat sheet", I'd like to know on one of mine as well.
Old 07-28-2010, 2:57 PM

Try to e-mail S&W the serial number. They would probably look it up for you....
Old 07-28-2010, 3:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

SW is notorious about not manufacturing guns in serial number order. However, I have a Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson at home and would be happy to take a quick look for you. PM me the serial number (you can "x" our the last couple of digits) and I'll see what I can find out.

IIRC they started making L frames in the 80's.

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 07-28-2010, 3:05 PM
Veteran Member

Great guns. 1980 to 1988. The 581-1 started in 1986. PM me with the first 5 of the SN and I'll try to give you as much info as I can.

And yes, I have THE book.
Old 08-11-2010, 2:51 PM
TheAyatollahofRocknRolla!
CGN Contributor

Another question for those who know about the S&W 586.

There are two small "pins" that are in the cylinder that are used to ensure the ejector rod collar falls neatly back into place.

One of them has worked it's way out on my gun. Is this something I can fix with a replacement and a little loc-tite, or should I take it to a gunsmith?

Anyone know the name of these little (maybe 1/4" long) pins so I can find a replacement?

Thanks!

I love my Country, but I (fear) my government.

"We have transformed ourselves into a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers" - Unknown (to me)