Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:16 AM

Default Magpul MOE Handguard

Ive read some reviews and so far its been pretty good. Im not sure if im a fan of adding a quad rail so....Im thinking this would be a good option so i can add my knights armament front grip possibly a tactical light on the side. Any opinions?..durability, fitment etc.. Oh and does the handguard come with the rails for adding these things?
Old 07-28-2010, 12:20 AM

Gotta buy rails but they are cheap
Old 07-28-2010, 12:21 AM

good to know
Old 07-28-2010, 12:37 AM

These will be my next purchase once they come out with the mid length version sometime in September. There are attachments for rails and even a cutout pressure switch attachment that can make these very versatile.
Old 07-28-2010, 1:14 AM

I am also not a fan of aluminum quad rails. I dont need free float hand guards. I like plastic hand guards because the dont absorb heat and they are light weight. A small rail for a verticel grip and a small rail for a light and I am good to go.

Here is my MOE on my new Stag Model 8 piston AR. Clean, simple, cool to the touch. My version of a K.I.S.S. rifle. (btw they do come with internal heat shields) I had to dremel a little bit of material to get it to fit on a piston AR.

Last edited by Average Joe American; 07-28-2010 at 1:17 AM..
Old 07-28-2010, 1:17 AM
Veteran Member

I love my MOE's. Durability and fitment/lockup are great. I have a MVG vert. grip on mine and I get no wobble at all. I supposed if I torqued on it a lot I could, but normal use I don't get movement. Also, the size is much nicer than stock handguards.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

yeah they are sweet, they have zero movement once they are on. Either get a friend to help you with the delta ring or get the tool. I almost lost 2 finger nails trying to do it alone but I got it
Old 07-28-2010, 11:33 AM

oh awesome....i think thats a winner. I dont understand the point of all the rails when theres only so much u can attach?
Old 07-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

I am still waiting for the mid-length moe handguard...
Old 07-28-2010, 11:44 AM
In Memoriam

I like this fore end -- I love the way it feels WITHOUT rails.
I think that's the beauty of it. Once you start adding rails, you might as well have gotten one of those uncomfortable four rail deals. I'm putting it on my Riflegear upper:

Old 07-28-2010, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1989 View Post
I love my MOE's. Durability and fitment/lockup are great. I have a MVG vert. grip on mine and I get no wobble at all. I supposed if I torqued on it a lot I could, but normal use I don't get movement. Also, the size is much nicer than stock handguards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse700 View Post
yeah they are sweet, they have zero movement once they are on. Either get a friend to help you with the delta ring or get the tool. I almost lost 2 finger nails trying to do it alone but I got it
How did you install them to not have any wobble? I have MOE handguards on my first AR assembly and there's a bit of wobble/movement on my handguards after the install. Any hints to eliminate the wobble? Thanks.
Old 07-28-2010, 1:19 PM
Veteran Member

I pulled the delta ring back, pulled out my old handguards, put the new ones in, and the ring didn't quite seat all the way forward. I pulled it forward. I basked in the newfound beauty of my rifle
Old 07-28-2010, 1:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballdad View Post
How did you install them to not have any wobble? I have MOE handguards on my first AR assembly and there's a bit of wobble/movement on my handguards after the install. Any hints to eliminate the wobble? Thanks.
my no wobble probably has something to do with how hard it was to pull the delta ring back far enough, the thing is wedged in there super tight. Im running the rifle gear upper BTW and the delta ring is pretty tight.
Old 07-28-2010, 1:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freagan View Post
I am still waiting for the mid-length moe handguard...
Also waiting for the mid-length. RifleGear says "Coming Soon - Summer 2010" and BravoCompanyUSA has it listed as "Out of Stock."
Old 07-28-2010, 1:45 PM
Banned

September 15th is the expected availability for the mid length from midway usa and I'm sure others at this point too.
Old 07-28-2010, 2:13 PM

I like them as well. But I just discovered that the AFG does not fit well onto the MOE handguard. They are not compatible. Kinda dumb if you ask me!!
Old 07-28-2010, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Pilot View Post
Also waiting for the mid-length. RifleGear says "Coming Soon - Summer 2010" and BravoCompanyUSA has it listed as "Out of Stock."
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy_clothing View Post
September 15th is the expected availability for the mid length from midway usa and I'm sure others at this point too.
It was suppose to come out "Summer 2010" but looks like September 15th is the new release date. We'll see..

Quote:
Originally Posted by salazar44 View Post
I like them as well. But I just discovered that the AFG does not fit well onto the MOE handguard. They are not compatible. Kinda dumb if you ask me!!
I believe Magpul is coming out with a AFG2. Its suppose to be slimmer so it'll fit some quad rail handguards. So it should work with the MOE handguards.
Old 07-28-2010, 3:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy_clothing View Post
Midway just keeps bumping it back every couple weeks. It said July at one point.

If this latest (2016) assault weapon (semi auto) ban passes... I will simply install hydraulically actuated rotating bolts, and jimmy slap triggers. They can't regulate what they don't understand.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1153858
\_(ツ)_/
Old 07-30-2010, 5:31 PM

early next year is a more realistic release date if the way magpul released some new items this year. stuff that was supposed to be out in feb werent out on time and some of the colors still arent available like the MVG and RVG are only in black. i call magpul once a month about the MVG in fde and they say in another 4 weeks for the last 3 months. i realy like magpul products but they are very optamistic on the release dates.
Old 07-30-2010, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-NewYawker View Post

why is that guy wearing a fake kevlar helmet???

"I don't know we made brownies. And I think we're dead. Time is going by really really really really slow."

-Former cop, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnZb5wi_jsU
Old 07-30-2010, 10:11 PM

I'm waiting for the midlength handguards too.
It is so nice to drop mags freely even though I do that now with my featureless AR and AK it is not the same as the real thing. Like Coca Cola here in the US compared to Mexico with real sugar not corn syrup!
Old 07-31-2010, 1:19 AM

Love the way it feels in comparison to rails. Fit and finish are great.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:23 AM

I love my MOE setup. It feels much more natural in the hand than rails or a standard grip, with the waist being a bit lower.

I don't plan on adding rails to mine, but I may very well tack on a light to one side, depends how I decide to go with this gun.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:38 AM

I'm still sort of on fence between the MOE and slim older style carbine handguards. Leaning towards Magpul though.

The big fat M4 handguards are no-go.

كافر - Infidel

NRA PATRON MEMBER
Old 07-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Calguns Addict

I have used them on several carbines. I like them. A lot. They are not, and never will be as solid as a real rail system. But I already have a couple tacti-cool rifles. There are only so many lights, bipods, grips, grappling hooks, bottle openers, lasers, phasers and tasers you can slap on a gun before you start looking like a mall ninja. At this point most of mine that have a MOE on them have nothing, or one rail on the bottom for a grip or a light. That's about it. And they work just fine for what they do. Better than most of the other plastic handguards out there. For the $25-30 they normally cost, they are well worth it. You get an improvement in ergonomics and looks for a fraction of the cost of a decent rail system. And as many of the other posters have noted, they seem to "fit" most people's hands better than the standard hand guards do.

-Mb
Old 07-31-2010, 4:59 PM

Hello Everyone,

The MOE is a great handguard. Looks way better than the traditional carbine handguard. I have a quick question about installing the rails on the side. I got the Magpul rails and installed it on the upper half of the MOE handguard. When I went to re-install on the rifle, the two halves won't fit. After a close look, it seems that the allen screw is too long and interferes with the fitmet of the heat shield. Am I missing something here? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2010, 11:27 AM

I have Magpul stocks/grips on all my AR's, even the .308's. I like them a lot, but I prefer the YHM free float on my 16" mid-length rifles as it isn't that heavy and it balances out the weapon nicely during "multi fire". Also, it doesn't get hot enough to matter even after many, many rounds fired, AND they are HALF the cost of many of the other comparable quality guards.