Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-25-2010, 7:33 PM

Default AK draco pistol problems/experiences

Hey everyone,

Today was the first day at ASR with my draco. I have to say, i left quite disappointed.

Accuracy- couldn't hit a six inch peel target at 50 yards!! Maybe like 2 out of 10 rounds made it in, and this was from sitting!!! :S The draco feels quite useless at the moment. I'm hoping my inbound sling set up with grip plate makes this a lot better. (I owned a Saiga and could hit the 200 yrd plates off hand standing 1/3 times so at least know how to work the AK sights, but this draco....) Do you hold the handguard or prefer the mag for gripping?

Malfunctions- MANY MANY today. Lots of near double chamberings or bolt hang ups. Sometimes a nice slap on the bolt handle forward would work, othertimes a case neck would get carved up really bad and I couldn't sworn the round was already half way being chambered before I did this. I looked at a lot of the fired ejected casings and a lot of the neck or bodies looked SERIOUSLY chewed up.

There were times when the feeding was so messed up (potential bulgarian ten round mag problem?) that the bullets got seated WAY deeper into the case on FTF's. Thankfully I noticed each and every one of these before I decided to rechamber them. Poor guy I handed the pistol to, to test the accuracy had one of these and I felt pretty bad as he looked a little concerned about shooting it anymore.

Is this just a break-in period that all ak pistol owners go through? Did I get a lemon? And for those who have the sling set up, did your accuracy improve at all?
Old 07-25-2010, 7:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Ouch. I wonder if its a lemon. I don't have a draco but I'm sure others will chime in and tell you if your experiences were shared or not.
Old 07-25-2010, 7:51 PM

Sounds pretty bad. I would contact the company you bought it from. If they can't help you, Century will usually try to correct it. My Draco has FTF problems too. It comes from the bolt riding the top of the hammer to hard. I'm going to take off a little material from the hammer, and that should correct it. Hope you get yours working up to par.
Old 07-25-2010, 8:04 PM

Thanks for the comments so far guys. And donkeypunch (HAH nice name), you may be right. Now that you mention it, the bolt hangs up right where I think the hammer is. Ill have to look into that!

It just sucks majorly when you have this cool looking pistol that has to constantly be flipped over, screw drivered for mag releases and then have the receiver cleared of blocked casings etc.

Really hoping this is just a break in issue......
Old 07-25-2010, 9:05 PM

did you fully dissemble, inspect, degrease, and re-lube the pistol before firing it?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeypunch0420 View Post
Sounds pretty bad. I would contact the company you bought it from. If they can't help you, Century will usually try to correct it. My Draco has FTF problems too. It comes from the bolt riding the top of the hammer to hard. I'm going to take off a little material from the hammer, and that should correct it. Hope you get yours working up to par.
Be very careful if you do this. You take off a little too much the hammer won't be caught by the disconnector and you'll have hammer follow or out of battery discharge, but those are rare.
I would polish the hammer but don't change any of the angles, and polish the carrier on the bottom also.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:55 PM

on the topic of these pistols, i saw one of these pistols for sale on henderson defense and it described it as being a "single shot." Does this mean you have to manually cock the bolt after every shot or does it simply mean that it is semi-automatic?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by speleogist View Post
on the topic of these pistols, i saw one of these pistols for sale on henderson defense and it described it as being a "single shot." Does this mean you have to manually cock the bolt after every shot or does it simply mean that it is semi-automatic?
Sledded 0 round mag with a mag lock. The only way any type of non rostered pistol can be shipped into CA do to the drop test requirement.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Sledded 0 round mag with a mag lock. The only way any type of non rostered pistol can be shipped into CA do to the drop test requirement.
so you can just buy another mag that isnt butchered and itll work as a semi auto?
Old 07-25-2010, 11:15 PM

and also, does this qualify as a pistol or rifle?
Old 07-25-2010, 11:19 PM

@speleogist yes and yes as pistol
I bought my draco a few months ago and it has been working flawlessly for me so far, give it a hundred more rounds and if it still has problems I'd probably take it to a gunsmith
Old 07-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Mine runs fine, no problems that couldn't be traced to a single bad magazine. Not the most accurate pistol you'll ever shoot, but mine will put 10 rounds in the black on a 25 yard pistol target from a rest. With a Trijicon Reflex sight, Vinz sling plate and a bungee sling, I'll throw a couple of rounds out of the black offhand.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:12 AM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by speleogist View Post
and also, does this qualify as a pistol or rifle?
It's a pistol.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 07-26-2010, 4:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Be very careful if you do this. You take off a little too much the hammer won't be caught by the disconnector and you'll have hammer follow or out of battery discharge, but those are rare.
I would polish the hammer but don't change any of the angles, and polish the carrier on the bottom also.
Do this. That will take care of the bolt hang up. If not, change out the FCG with a G2.

Also change out the magazine. That is usually the problem with the feed.
Old 07-26-2010, 7:50 PM

Thanks for the responses guys, i'll be careful with the hammer polishing.

These pistols are just really cool looking but make me feel so embarrassed when I can't even put anything on target or make the darn thing work. The ultimate "tacticool" feeling, except its the bad kind.

I dont know how much attention I like being drawn to me either. I think just about everyone thought I was shooting an illegal firearm. I had what appeared to be an off duty cop tell his friend (who was standing next to me) that there was no way what I had was legal and that his friends would pick me up if they saw that.
I kept reciting to myself PC 12276.1 in preparation for some sort of LEO encounter LOL.

At least the range officers know whats up!!! The nicest one came on by and commented that all I needed was a 75 round drum to let er rip! HAH that was a good one. I wish.

We'll see how the draco VM-1 sling plate helps things. I'll update this thread to see if my off hand shooting improves. I have a feeling it will, as it just feels so awkward holding the pistol closer than you know you should but cant help doing because holding it out any farther is just too heavy. Parallel tactical needs to get these things off backorder already!!
Old 07-26-2010, 7:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I can CONSISTANTLY (+75%) hit the 200 and 300 yard gongs with my homebuilt AK pistol from a rest. If I was just standing and holding it, I doubt that I could hit a 6 FOOT target a 50 yards with any consistancy.

If you want to come out to my place, we can trouble shoot and fix your pistol.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 07-26-2010, 8:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeteemongo View Post
Thanks for the responses guys, i'll be careful with the hammer polishing.

These pistols are just really cool looking but make me feel so embarrassed when I can't even put anything on target or make the darn thing work. The ultimate "tacticool" feeling, except its the bad kind.

I dont know how much attention I like being drawn to me either. I think just about everyone thought I was shooting an illegal firearm. I had what appeared to be an off duty cop tell his friend (who was standing next to me) that there was no way what I had was legal and that his friends would pick me up if they saw that.
I kept reciting to myself PC 12276.1 in preparation for some sort of LEO encounter LOL.

At least the range officers know whats up!!! The nicest one came on by and commented that all I needed was a 75 round drum to let er rip! HAH that was a good one. I wish.

We'll see how the draco VM-1 sling plate helps things. I'll update this thread to see if my off hand shooting improves. I have a feeling it will, as it just feels so awkward holding the pistol closer than you know you should but cant help doing because holding it out any farther is just too heavy. Parallel tactical needs to get these things off backorder already!!
Not to start a pissing match but if the LEO really thought it was that illegal I think something would have happen right there and then. Just remember why it's legal and carry the flowchart with you. If I heard that at the range, I would walk over and educate the person. I actually did that at chabot while test firing one of my aks. I let them know it's 100% legal because of XYZ reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach1 View Post
Z gets around. lol
Old 07-26-2010, 9:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z ME FLY View Post
I let them know it's 100% legal because of XYZ reasons.
Sadly, some have an axe to grind and will take it anyway and tell you that the courts will figure it out. No sweat off their brow...even if they know you are right. If you don't want the hassle, shoot in places "below the radar" with your non "pc in california" gun.
Old 07-26-2010, 9:26 PM

IMHO ar/ak pistols are novelty items, i'd never EVER want to take one in a SHTF situation, they are very hard to shoot quickly and accurately.
Old 07-27-2010, 8:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
Sadly, some have an axe to grind and will take it anyway and tell you that the courts will figure it out. No sweat off their brow...even if they know you are right. If you don't want the hassle, shoot in places "below the radar" with your non "pc in california" gun.
I don't go that far but if someone is questioning if what I am shooting is legal, I let them know it is legal because of XYZ reasons. If a police officer seriously thinks you have something illegal at the range why won't they do something right then and there? It doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't do anything or call it in. Not saying that they should do that since it would be a hassle for us with legal weapons but I am just saying.

That's why I hardly ever shoot at the ranges. If I go to the range i.e. Chabot I just test fire my build, 50-100 rounds then that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach1 View Post
Z gets around. lol
Old 07-27-2010, 8:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Accuracy: First thing to get is a Hogue rubber AK grip. The grip that comes with it is horrible and is very hard to hold on to. The Hogue grip is a huge improvement.

Mounting a sling to wrap around your arm will definitely help. I also swapped out the lower handguard for one that is fatter at the bottom. This helps you hold the front of the gun down against the vertical kick.

After some practice shots was able to put 10 rounds inside an 8" bull at 50 yards. My Draco does have a bipod, but I do not think that using a bench rest would be any less accurate.

For the feed problems, start with using a few different mags before doing any gunsmithing on it.

Along with the flowchart, I do carry the zero round mag with (but not in) the gun.

tim
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 08-11-2010, 11:26 PM

Out of the box My Dracoused to and still hits the 100yd gong at ASR easily. You may need to adjust your sites or work on your marksmanship skills to get the hang of things. Sandbag or rest the Draco on something stable and try again. You should be rather pleased with the results. You should be able to hit the 100yd gong standing with practice
Old 08-12-2010, 9:27 AM
Veteran Member

hammer ride is common, especially on new guns. lap/polish the hammer and carrier. lube with a good grease. i use hitemp brake grease. it should break in in 2-300 rds. i've had new builds so tight it acted as a BHO.