Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-20-2010, 4:40 PM

Default Hungarian AMD-65 FEG Reciever

Does anyone have any experience with these TGI built AMD-65's I've been seeing online? All the reviews i've seen say good things about them, especially the FEG recievers but in the past I've heard nothing but bad things about TGI itself. I've never had or shot any TGI guns but I was curious what everyone thinks about these, they seem like a good deal if the gun is as quality as the reviews say

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AKAGUN-AMD-2.aspx

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/3115
Old 07-20-2010, 8:37 PM

I posted info on them here.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=77&t=129819

My muzzle brake was slightly off, but I corrected it today, then put another spot weld to hold it on. I also added some ironwood designs grips for 922r so I could get rid of that god awful Crapco magazine.

I shot it last Sunday and there's not really much to say, it's an AK, shoots just like an AK, the cheek weld leaves something to be desired, but it'll probably never fail on me much like every other AK.

I got the rifle from centerfire, great customer service.
I got the grips from TGI, again, great customer service.

Last edited by slomofo; 07-20-2010 at 8:40 PM..
Old 08-09-2010, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomofo View Post
I posted info on them here.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=77&t=129819

My muzzle brake was slightly off, but I corrected it today, then put another spot weld to hold it on. I also added some ironwood designs grips for 922r so I could get rid of that god awful Crapco magazine.

I shot it last Sunday and there's not really much to say, it's an AK, shoots just like an AK, the cheek weld leaves something to be desired, but it'll probably never fail on me much like every other AK.

I got the rifle from centerfire, great customer service.
I got the grips from TGI, again, great customer service.

im not really concerned with the fit and finish, as long as it functions
Old 08-09-2010, 4:36 PM

It functions well, I got a cheek piece from amd65tech.com last friday and shot the gun yesterday. With the cheekpiece, accuracy is up to par with any other AK. Just like Saigas, all parts are new, barrel is chrome lined, and it's a top notch AK. Fit and finish being of no concern to you is a good thing because this is by far the ugliest AK there is, but it is a good shooter. The muzzle brake on these is effective, but it is considerably louder than any other AK I own. The noise isn't really a problem for the shooter, but guy standing next to you may not like it.

Also worth mentioning; stock closed doesn't meet the 30" OAL to be California legal, so I think you might have to third party this one in if you really want one.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:28 AM

I own one and like it quit a bit after a few changes. First these guns are imported as single stacks and machined out to take double stack mags. Mine with combloc mags has no wobble typical of say a century wasr which has the same thing done to them. They come with factory chrome lined barrels which are very nice, new, and shiny. The original FEG receivers are very nice. The fit and finish on these guns is factory and very nice as well. That being said the wire stock is the biggest downside to these. It was very hard for me to get a good sight picture from off hand with the factory as is stock. I did the same thing slomofo did and went to amd65tech.com and ordered the riser as well as the sling adapter. I also went ahead and ordered some para-cord to wrap the stock and riser in. With the riser in place and the para-cord wrap this gun is about a hundred times more fun to shoot, and makes getting a good sight picture as easy as any other ak on the market. As said earlier you need to pin the stock open. Check in the gunsmithing section there is a thread on how to do this. I sent mine to henderson defense and had them middleman it.

With all this praise, I do have but one gripe and that is with 922r compliance on these. They ship with a tapco g2 trigger group as the only installed compliance parts on the rifle. Keep in mind the rest of the rifle, including barrel, receiver, and everything else is factory Hungarian. TGI used the mags to make up the rest of the compliance parts. As we all know American mags for combloc guns are just awful. I replaced the pistol grips with iron wood stocks so far. Sadly I still need two more compliance parts, because these do not take traditional handguards and rear stocks and the pistol grips only count as a single us made item despite being two on the rifle. Your only options is to replace two of these if you want to use combloc mags: the gas piston with a US made one, add a us made floor plate to your existing mags, or add a us follower to your mags. The gas piston is a pain in the *** by all accounts. So this leaves you with the other two. Sad thing too because I wanted to run 10rd combloc mags without having to add anything to them in order to keep price down.

With all that being said with a little work I think the rifle is definitely a different and interesting piece to add to any collection. I honestly enjoy shooting it, and wouldn't trade it for a thing.

Last edited by 13204u; 08-10-2010 at 11:31 AM..
Old 08-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Banned

I'm planning to get one in the next month. Seems like it'll make for a great Trunk Gun.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

That gun has a 16" barrel, the brake is not needed but is an easy 922r compliance part.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 08-10-2010, 2:32 PM
Banned

I don't think the barrel is 16" alone. The one I saw at the Houston show uses the extended brake to hit the 16" legal length which is why it is welded on.
Old 08-10-2010, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
That gun has a 16" barrel, the brake is not needed but is an easy 922r compliance part.
The barrel is more like 12 inches, I don't know the exact length, that's just a guess. There's about a 4 inch long thread protector welded onto the end of the barrel and the brake sits on the end of the thread protector. The actual barrel ends about an inch aft of the front sight post just like every other 14x1LH threaded AK barrel.
Old 08-10-2010, 7:39 PM

What you guys are being confused by is the century built guns versus the TGI guns. The TGI's are actual imported units that are as I described above. The century units are built from parts kits. They use NDS receivers, and US made non chrome lined barrels which are 16" in length. An easy way to tell the century vs the TGI is look where the front sight base sits on the gun. The TGIs have 12" barrels and the FSB is literally next to the gas block, while the century units have the gas block far out front due to the aftermarket barrels. The TGI rifle have a 4" extension/muzzlebrake put on them, and since it is attached to a foreign barrel it does not count as a U.S. part toward 922R. See below for examples:

Century arms rifle:

TGI rifle:

SBR version: