Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Default How do I attach a sling on this?

I have a 3-point sling, but there are no sling mounts on the front. Need solutions!

The only idea I have is get a little rail section to bolt to the side of the handguard, then attach an attachment point to that.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2010, 11:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Your kidding right? Please say yes.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Your kidding right? Please say yes.
Sadly...no

Nothing is coming to me.

I've never had to deal with having no attachment points on the front end.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:31 PM

I think Chuck Norris would use paracord... Nice rifle, I really like my Millet DMS- only wish they could be smaller.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks. It's been good to me so far, but I'm taking some courses pretty soon, so I need a darn sling on there.

I'm diggin the scope as well. I find that it's really easy to look right over the top of it, still see the dot, and it's right on the money. Almost like a regular red dot style sight.

I'll look into the paracord thing. guess I should do some research.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsk9 View Post
I think Chuck Norris would use paracord... Nice rifle, I really like my Millet DMS- only wish they could be smaller.
paracord is an awesome idea!
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
Old 07-20-2010, 12:01 AM

You can do a single point by adding an attachment like the Magpul ASAP on the buffer tube or add rear sling attachment on the buttstock. They sell rail mounts for the MOE hand guard in front and just add the sling mount to that.
Old 07-20-2010, 1:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droppin Deuces View Post
Sadly...no

Nothing is coming to me.

I've never had to deal with having no attachment points on the front end.
Have you tried looking at a couple of the hundreds of websites that carry crap for AR's?

I do stuff AK style, basic, dirty, but functional, the KISS method I'll say.

Get some paracord and use that , or get a couple of hose clamps a short chunk of picitinny rail and a screwdriver. the answer should come pretty quick.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 07-20-2010, 1:08 AM
Banned

single point sling off the rear plate

paracord around the FSB and a bit of paracord in one of the grooves of the MOE stock

one of those two options or buy a new sling
Old 07-20-2010, 7:46 AM

I've seen a couple of adapters for a "slick" forend. One that might work for you is a strap that wraps around the front of the handguard, with a ring on that sits on the side. Looks clunky, but it does stay in place. It might not work with that finger stop at the bottom of the handguard there.

Depending on your setup, you might want to give the 3-point sling a couple of careful runs. I tried one from SpecterGear and found out that the inner strap tended to get in my way for the bolt catch.
Old 07-20-2010, 7:58 AM

http://ergogrips.net/item-detail.cfm...TOKEN=78363943
http://www.opticsplanet.net/galco-ba...ck-btl-ra.html

Last edited by frigginchi; 07-20-2010 at 8:01 AM..
Old 07-20-2010, 8:04 AM

http://www.gearsector.com/browse/cat...y-rail-mounts/
Old 07-20-2010, 8:09 AM

i'd use a 3 point sling in which the front has a velcro strap that goes around the handguard. they were pretty common on usgi m16a2s.
Old 07-20-2010, 9:54 AM

Single point slings are legit, i'd go with that for this setup

F.T.W
Old 07-20-2010, 10:15 AM

ease up on the guy fellas, or were you never new to something sheesh
Old 07-20-2010, 10:35 AM

Magpul ASAP

Magpul MOE Rails

Magpul RSA

RSA Pic
Orange CA 92869
714-532-4867
T - F (11 - 7pm) Sat (10 - 5pm) - closed Sun & Mon
Old 07-20-2010, 10:38 AM

How about one of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=59173

You could attach a railed sling attachment sling to this.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Calguns Addict

The thing I like about the 3-point style is the verstility. I don't like how the single point slings just hang there and that's it. It just seems to be more of a CQB thing, and I don't really see myself doing much of that. With a 3 point sling you can wrap or grip the thing in such a way that it helps stabilize everything when you're standing or kneeling to take a shot.
I'm not worried about it covering the bolt release.

Quote:
i'd use a 3 point sling in which the front has a velcro strap that goes around the handguard. they were pretty common on usgi m16a2s.
The sling I have does have a strap that can be wrapped around the handguard, but it's way too bulky.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Slings just aren't something I'm terribly familiar with.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saber View Post
How about one of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=59173

You could attach a railed sling attachment sling to this.
That was one of the first things I saw(GG&G makes a nice one), but the sight that's on there now is rail mounted, so there's not enough room to put anything through the opening.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

I would do away with the 3 point and get a single/double point sling like the Magpul MS2 or 3 when it comes out but there are other single/double slings out there just do your research before hand. Get either the Magpul ASAP or the Noveske Receiver End Plate with Quich Detach Sling Swivel Mount.

When combined with a single point sling you can switch from strong to weak hand shooting w/o getting tied up like you would with a 3 point. For the forend attachment point you can get Magpul Moe picatinny rail and attach it to your forend.

Then you should either wait for the Magpul RSA rail attachment or just go buy a Troy rail sling attachment point. If your going to be doing a class there going to have you switching from strong to weak handed shooting almost for sure and that's where the single point really shines IMO.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 AM

3 point sling is the arguably the worst option of all out there. Look at the quick adjustable two points (e.g. Viking Tactics and Vickers) and the single points.

I'm guessing you will like the quick adjustable 2-points. If you want to use your sling as a shooting support the 3-point won't do it for you (and neither will a single point). The Viking or Vickers 2 points will work well for this (I prefer the VTAC for this purpose because of how super smoothly & easily it adjusts).

Also remember if your forend isn't free floated or you attach the sling to your barrel, slinging up tight will change your point of impact.

ETA, with a 2 point I'd attach to your buttstock at the rear and the foreend in front. When using the sling as a shooting support it usually works better attached back there than to the receiver end plate (YMMV of course).

Last edited by esskay; 07-20-2010 at 11:46 AM..
Old 07-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Magpul makes short rails that can be attached to the MOE forend. You could mount one on the side of the forend and then use a Midwest Industries swivel that is designed to attach the rail to the rifle. Then you have the necessary attachment point.

My personal preference are 2 point slings. 3-point slings get in the way of the controls. That is pretty much my only complaint about them tried them out for a few years before switching to single point slings, which were a very short lived expierience for me. Didn't like them at all. Single point slings nail you in the junk when transitioning to your handgun and allow the sling to constantly be in the way when not shooting. You have to dedicate all kinds of attention to it or it flops around bounching into kneecaps and other things around you. For competition they are great. For real life not so much. The need to shoot from the support side does not come up as often as the single point sling causes the rifle to be in your way. Since you can quickly and easily drop your support side arm through the 2-point sling and use it as a single point sling around the neck in order to shoot from the support side, it's not really an issue to switch shoulders with either sling. So the benifits of a single point sling do not measure up to the drawbacks.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 07-20-2010 at 12:27 PM..
Old 07-20-2010, 2:17 PM

magpul moe polymer rail, and one of these:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=3...UNT_SLING_LOOP
Old 07-20-2010, 7:17 PM

+1 on the Vtac

http://www.vikingtactics.com/prod_sling_VTAC-MK1-a.html

I will Never use another sling again.,., simple 2 point sling., comfortable., versatile.,

See it in action
http://www.vikingtactics.com/pop-instr_video.html
Old 07-20-2010, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
My personal preference are 2 point slings. 3-point slings get in the way of the controls. That is pretty much my only complaint about them tried them out for a few years before switching to single point slings, which were a very short lived expierience for me. Didn't like them at all. Single point slings nail you in the junk when transitioning to your handgun and allow the sling to constantly be in the way when not shooting. You have to dedicate all kinds of attention to it or it flops around bounching into kneecaps and other things around you. For competition they are great. For real life not so much. The need to shoot from the support side does not come up as often as the single point sling causes the rifle to be in your way. Since you can quickly and easily drop your support side arm through the 2-point sling and use it as a single point sling around the neck in order to shoot from the support side, it's not really an issue to switch shoulders with either sling. So the benifits of a single point sling do not measure up to the drawbacks.
What type of matches do you compete in? In the 3-gun matches that I shoot, you will rarely see slings of any kind in use, much less single points which are even more rare. Most matches will not allow shooters to sling a hot gun for safety reasons (similarly they usually won't allow re-holstering a hot pistol). Also, on a multiple gun stage, you will typically have to pick up or deposit various different guns, so you can't take the time to get into or out of a sling anyway.

Here's an example -- you start the stage with shotgun in hand, you shoot shotgun targets, then you deposit the safe shotgun in a dump barrel. You grab your holstered pistol and shoot pistol targets. Then you deposit the safe pistol in a box on a table. You then pick up your AR and shoot rifle targets. Or the reverse, or any permutation thereof.

So maybe you might sling up if you had a rifle only stage, and even then only if you felt it might give you an advantage as a shooting aid. So in that case you'd go for a two point type of sling, not a single point.

You might also have a sling on the rifle, and use a "hasty sling" position from time to time without actually getting fully into the sling. Again you'd likely use a 2-point for this. But this is not common and generally speaking 3-gunners do not run slings.

I have shot a couple matches where in the course of fire, you might start with a loaded rifle, shoot it until dry, then dump it (slung) and transition to your holstered handgun while moving around and finishing the stage. In this example, I used a two point sling for better control of the slung rifle. Another example, I started with an unloaded rifle slung, shotgun in hand. Shot the shotgun targets, dumped it, and transitioned to the rifle to finish the stage. Again used a two point sling to more tightly control the weapon while running around.

That being said, with proper technique you will not castrate yourself when transitioning a single point, but once you need to start moving afterwards it can surely be a pain especially if you are in a hurry! My preference is a two point sling (VTAC is my favorite) for general use. Inside my home and for other situations where you might have a lot of support side transitions & unconventional positions, I'd opt for a single point (Magpul with ASAP plate my favorite for this).
Old 07-20-2010, 8:28 PM
Vendor/Retailer

i cant help you about attaching a sling but i love the look of that rifle.

www.SUPERIOR-DEFENSE.com
FFL07|SOT02
NEW SALES | OUT OF STATE TRANSFERS
G19's | G17's | Shield's | Aero Gen 2 Lowers |AERO AC-15 | SIG MCX
* KNIGHTS ARMAMENT DEALER *
INFO@SUPERIOR-DEFENSE.COM
ORANGE, CA
Old 07-20-2010, 9:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING_PALM View Post
i cant help you about attaching a sling but i love the look of that rifle.
Thanks I initially wanted to start with a Ruger, but I'm completely happy with the way this thing has turned out. I'm glad I saved the extra $600 or so for ammo!

Thanks again for all of the input, guys. I think I'm sticking with the 3-point for now. It's just what I'm most familiar with and makes the most sense to me. I've got lots of ideas for sure now with all of the links.
Old 07-21-2010, 6:51 AM

The handyman's secret weapon.......duct tape!