Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-17-2006, 9:42 PM

Default Personal Underground Shooting Range

Ok..this has been on my mind for a while ..I've got a big flat lot in an urban area, lots of space. I could easily put a 25 yard personal range underneath my lot. Anyone ever heard of this? Am I dreaming? Would the regulatory hoops be huge? Advice welcome.
Old 04-17-2006, 9:52 PM

I think I saw a movie where people get a permit to build a wine cellar or similar storage place then later on convert it to whatever that suits their need.

I think that the ventilation is one of the most important thing to consider. Maybe you can drop one of the containers into the ground with additional support on celing and walls.

I would imagine it would be tough to do in california with quakes and all.

Just an random thoughts.
Good luck.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

An aquaintance of mine built a "wine cellar" and behind a hidden door is his boy's room, complete with a single 25 yard lane. You can't even hear it when the door is closed. Very, very cool. Also very, very expensive.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:50 PM

Arnold Schwarzenegger has one in his basement in So Cal house (mansion).

If it's a residence you might have trouble if your home owner's insurance co. finds out.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:50 PM

I gotta get me a 'wine cellar' too

I know a couple in Willits who built a 'wine cellar' while building their new home. The 'wine cellar' was in the garage. Funny how a wine cellar can double for a grease pit!

Take soil samples and have them analyzed.
Check around (unless you already know) about springs and the water table where your property is at.

Things to consider:
1) Water (its like cockroaches, you just can't seem to keep it out of your house)
2) Ventilation
3) Some sort of baffle system to ease the noise on you
4) earthquakes
5) people parking things on top of it
6) government spy planes flying overhead and using ground-penetrating radar and thermal imaging to document your devious deeds!
Old 04-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Elvis built his own indoor firing range. Don't know if it was at Graceland or one of his other houses. There were years when Elvis always packed, even when onstage (in his boot).
Old 04-17-2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley
Elvis built his own indoor firing range. Don't know if it was at Graceland or one of his other houses. There were years when Elvis always packed, even when onstage (in his boot).
i think it was in his living room.. have you seen all the T'V's that guy shot
Old 04-18-2006, 1:18 AM

Visit http://rangeinfo.org
You'll be reading for days
Old 04-18-2006, 2:26 AM
Calguns Addict

If you really have the big bucks, build a room suitable for a bowling alley. It has similar requirements- noise, ventilation, and access in the rear.

Then build it as a 25 yard wine cellar

A friend of mine just built huimself a 5000 sq ft. house with a 7 car underground garage- with enough $$ anything is possible.

My idea for a cheap one is just to make a 3'x3' tunnel of concrete under a house with a small 9'x9' room at one end, and a wire-type target system at the other. Say it's for a custom aquarium water plumbing or something. Then you have a small access hatch at the far end, and a good backstop. You shoot with the gun in the 3x3 hole. It should be nice and quiet, and cast in concrete, near indestructible.

Or add a big septic tank right next to your basement- when all construction is done, connect the two with a small tunnel- voila! Instant range!

-Dave
Old 04-18-2006, 5:52 AM

I'm looking for the semi-cheap option too..I'll be looking at that rangeinfo.org..My main concerns are noise and what-if someone finds out - am I in the slammer for the rest of my life or what?!!?
Old 04-18-2006, 7:31 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I saw on www.dreamhomesmag.com a house in LA/OC for about 7 million that had its own indoor range.
Old 04-18-2006, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW2000
I saw on www.dreamhomesmag.com a house in LA/OC for about 7 million that had its own indoor range.
Low, are you from LS2? Truck guy arent you?
Old 04-18-2006, 8:59 AM

I saw a deal on TV awhile ago where some female country singer has a fully done up shooting range under her house. Several lanes, completely finished with wood panelling and all. VERY well done and I can say I was TOTALLY jealous. I forget who it was though, figures.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Don't skimp on the backstop. You might wanna be able to shoot rifle calibers for fun now & then.
Old 04-18-2006, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGarrison
Low, are you from LS2? Truck guy arent you?
Yep, one and the same.
Old 04-18-2006, 7:42 PM
In Memoriam

If that urban area you are in has a city with city limits, you will most likely be violating the law to discharge a firearm in the city limits and especially in a residential neighborhood, if that's where you are. You would have to get it permitted if it proved feasible.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:11 PM

This can be done...and it doesn't really need to be underground. Most, if not all, firearms manufacturers, ammunition manufacturers, etc, have some type of indoor test range, underground or otherwise.

The real issue here that you need to be aware of, is the very real hazard to your health from lead contamination. If you use the range much you will be at a severe risk for lead poisoning.
Old 04-19-2006, 1:20 AM
shopkeep

As cool as the idea of an underground 25 yard range is, it will always be cheaper to aquire property in the country for this use. Not to mention cleaning up all the shell casings and continually leaving 1000+ casings in your garbage can each week or so just looks damn shady heh!
Old 04-19-2006, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopkeep
As cool as the idea of an underground 25 yard range is, it will always be cheaper to aquire property in the country for this use. Not to mention cleaning up all the shell casings and continually leaving 1000+ casings in your garbage can each week or so just looks damn shady heh!
hahaha.. ya what would the trashguy think man
Old 04-19-2006, 6:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Does anyone have any useful information, I am interested in what kind of expense, and difficulty it is to do this. I think it would be cool to have an underground range. I can walk into my backyard, and shoot my guns, but if I had and underground range, I could shoot anytime of day or night.
I could put at least a hundred yard underground range in depending on expense.

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 04-20-2006, 1:51 AM

Visit http://rangeinfo.org/ , all seems very usefull.

As for expense/difficulty,
building an underground range is nothing more than
building some kind of cellar/basement.
You get a permit from city/county if you need one
and build yourself a basement.
You add adequate ventilation (vent at both ends),
maybe some soundproofing,
bullet trap/backstop and you've got yourself your own range.

As for cost of construction, try
http://www.construction-cost.com/
it all depends on your design needs,
choice of material ...
Old 04-20-2006, 10:21 AM

I would say that if you have land enough, in the right place where you could just go into the backyard and shoot, you could build a semi-underground range.

You would wind up with a long 'bump' in your yard, but the excavation costs should be less, as well as the engineering being less complicated.

From personal experience, if you have a building long enough for your range requirements, and large enough to accommodate a small inside structure, you can build a soundproof shooting chamber.

Think of a paintbooth... just longer... with similar ventilation requirements... and soundproofing. ETA - penetration-proof walls/ceiling/backstop.

Since you're likely to ventilate to the outdoors, you need to figure out how to diffuse the report while the vents are running, or shoot without the vents and turn them on after... say, like when you're checking your target.

I, for one, cannot even begin to address the lead issue.
I suppose you could find info on contaminate rates from shooting and figure out what your acceptable exposure time would be before needing the vents on?

The NRA has two large binders on range building.
One is for outdoor ranges, the other is for indoor ranges.
When I purchased the outdoor binder for our pistol club, I think it cost me around $45.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

I've heard rumor there are a couple homes in RPV that have them. Rumor says 100yds too! They've got the land and the money up there so I wouldn't doubt it.

A government is a body of people usually notably ungoverned.

-Shepard Booke
Old 04-20-2006, 2:05 PM

I wish I had the range-in-a-trailer that the Navy Seals have. I wonder what the cost of one of those trailers is.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have shot numerous times at private residences in Cali, all outdoors in areas where you are far away from the nearest neighbor, using the earth as backstop. That would be optimal in my opinion to trying to build an underground range at your residence.

On that topic I have heard a few pointers on other threads. One is concussion. If you are shooting in a tight space that concussion is going to be felt on you. Of course the other issues of importance are ventilation and lead contamination. The ventilation and what it seems like from the request, concealability to near neighbors will be a challenge.

I much have had the idea of a having a spread and building a "barn" of sorts that actually is an indoor range. That way you can better contain lead and ventilation away from the residence. I have heard this will cost a bit of money to construct properly.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

Could you perhaps recoup the expenses later on, by selling your backstop earth to a lead refinery?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA_FAL
I wish I had the range-in-a-trailer that the Navy Seals have. I wonder what the cost of one of those trailers is.
I have been in the trailer range they have down at the Coronado base. It is cool that it is mobile, but it isn't that great. Really cramped (duh) and the guy who was showing me around said the ventilation isn't so great in there.
Old 03-23-2009, 4:50 AM

Default Design for underground rifle range

Should you be interested I have designs for an underground range that would be cost effective, safe, and no trouble to your surrounding area. I designed it for a tactical training facility so they could save space. If you are interested, send me your email and I will send you the details on receiving the design package.
Old 03-23-2009, 5:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopkeep View Post
Ever hear of reloading?

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 03-23-2009, 5:22 AM
C3 Leader

I asked the same question a couple months back...
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=148769
I went on a 911 call at a house in Bradberry, So Cal, and the guy was telling us all about it! Made me feel like a little kid at Disneyland when I saw his collection!

Check Out...http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/applications/gun.asp

Good Luck!
Old 03-23-2009, 7:06 AM

Most states have laws against discharging a firearm inside a municipality except at a range, so you would almost certainly need to get your home zoned as a range.

Its really just a long skinny basement with maybe a concrete roof. As others have suggested you could potentially just bury a concrete pipe and shoot through that.

I would be a little concerned about ventilation as lead dust is not a trivial problem. A proper ventilation system with HEPA filters and all to catch the lead dust might cost more than the rest of the setup.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old 03-23-2009, 7:58 AM

Not very helpful to the OP, but I remember when I was a kid, my dad had his own makeshift indoor range in the basement of our house (in CT). He had setup a bunch of old mattresses, plywood, and such as a backstop.
Old 03-23-2009, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra_one View Post
Should you be interested I have designs for an underground range that would be cost effective, safe, and no trouble to your surrounding area. I designed it for a tactical training facility so they could save space. If you are interested, send me your email and I will send you the details on receiving the design package.
Holy necro-post! Check the date of the original post: 04-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Old 03-23-2009, 9:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
If you use the range much you will be at a severe risk for lead poisoning.
Documentation please. There's a TREMENDOUS amount of hysterical FUD going around about lead contamination.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
Documentation please. There's a TREMENDOUS amount of hysterical FUD going around about lead contamination.
thats true.

most of the lead that is a real problem comes from the primer. unfortunately it is near your face when you shoot so you can easily inhale it.

for most adults, a small amount of lead ingestion is not a huge deal. it can be a huge problem for infants and very young children though, as it has demonstrated effects on brain development.

you really need to have air flow past the shooter at sufficent velocity to pull the lead dust away from the shooter.

there are also issues with cleaning the range. obviously a broom just stirs it up. so, use a dust mop and sweeping compound with the ventilation on. or use a swiffer type product so you don't just stir up the dust. or buy a hepa vacuum cleaner.

keep in mind it is possible to get some lead contamination even if you have good air flow so maybe changing your clothes and showering after a shooting session is in order, especially if you have children in the home.

clothing can be deleaded using special high phosphate detergents made for that purpose.

blowing your nose after a shooting session is also an important lead hygiene issue with indoor shooting.

sticky mats at the entrance/exit of your range will reduce the amount of lead you track in off the range.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by berg View Post
Holy necro-post! Check the date of the original post: 04-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Two weeks, three years, same diff.

Last edited by berto; 03-23-2009 at 12:51 PM..
Old 03-23-2009, 1:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
Two weeks, three years, same diff.
What's a trip is you see the thread up and that you posted to it, and wonder what??? Then see you did 3 years ago.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 03-23-2009, 2:06 PM
Veteran Member

Old post but a good one, nevertheless.

There are lots of discussion on this subject, but who cares. It's like reading an American Rifleman or Popular Mechanics magazine that's 10 years old. It's still good reading.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=138993

"You know the real difference between you and me?"
"Yeah. Denial."

Toys I'm looking for (PPT/used): Ruger P93 (compact), Thompson Contender receiver and barrels

Stuff for sale:
WTS Beretta Tomcat Parts Kit Formica Sample Case
Old 03-23-2009, 2:35 PM

i have heard of one. From what i remember he got permits to build a detached garage, built his long hallway under the the pour area then used some foam square over the opening to the hallway to close it up. After every thing was built and passed inspection he broke out the area over the opening. Voila off the books underground range. I dunno if the guys were just pulling my leg about it but it seemed possible and i trust their word. As far a noise they said with the range door open and the garage door closed it sounded like some one using an impact wrench or something.
Old 03-23-2009, 5:21 PM

With real estate the way it is right now, I bet it would be cheaper just to buy a few empty acres outside of town, rent a little tractor to build up a dirt mound backstop, and you've got a range, not to mention private campgrounds. Later on you could build a house on the land, and your tenants can pay your range mortgage for you.