Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:53 PM

Default Has flying hot brass burned you & broke skin?

When I get rained on by hot brass, either from my gun or on the line at the range or in a handgun class, it doesn't really bother me. I can still feel the hot brass hitting me, but it doesn't hurt in any way, nor has it ever left any damage to my skin.

My wife went shooting with me the day after 4th of July (Monday). A shell casing hit her collar bone from my Glock 19 (9mm Federal FMJ casing... nothing special, same stuff hitting me all afternoon). She said it hurt when she got hit with it, but I told her to suck it up and to keep going. Later that night, it was pretty red but I figured it was just from the hot brass.

I went out of town Tues morning and came back Friday night, and took these pictures that night night (4 days later). Not sure if she just has weak skin or if that particular casing was really hot for whatever reason, but this was the outcome. It actually looks worse in person, but I took these pics with my iPhone and cleaned the up the best I could.

Has this happened to anyone else, getting burned this bad from a shell casing and with skin having to grow back?

Old 07-14-2010, 1:01 PM

Ouch...

The worst I've had are shell casings leaving tiny burn marks on my arms. I would stand with my arms folded behind a buddy who'd be shooting... and every once in a while a casing would land in the crevice made by my folded arms. Since it has time to sit on my skin in the same spot it burned a bit.... but I've never seen anything like that before.
Old 07-14-2010, 1:12 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I've been cut by an unlucky piece of spinning hot brass. I've only done the "hot brass dance" once.
Old 07-14-2010, 1:25 PM

Maybe it's because the skin on her collar bone is stretched tightly. Otherwise the casing would just bounce off. BTW, aloe is supposed to be good for burns.
Old 07-14-2010, 1:28 PM

Worse one that I got was a fresh piece of hot .223 brass went down my collar and stuck to the back of my neck. Yes, it left a fat red mark and a welt to go with it. Being as it was on the back of my neck I never actually saw it but my daughter was amazed at how big and nasty it was. It was about 1/2" or so across, the length of a 223 shell and it left a blister that was kind of nasty, so yes I have been burned by brass but it was rifle brass which typically is considerably hotter.
Old 07-14-2010, 1:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFJ80 View Post
Has this happened to anyone else, getting burned this bad from a shell casing and with skin having to grow back?
Yes. The good news is that the skin grows back. The bad news is that if the burn is not clean or cleaned (scrubbed) by a Dr. there very well could be a nice little black mark (AKA a tattoo) left after the skin grows back if the shell casing that hit had some soot on it.

Guess how I know this?
Old 07-14-2010, 2:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I had one land right on the rim of my shooting glasses (and stay there)
It gave my eyebrow a nice little "love mark".

I was not amused.

In my other "stupid things I've done", I let my bare arm touch the barrel of my AR after dumping 4 30 round magazines as fast as I could while in Nevada.
I still have the beauty mark from that on my arm. My only regret is it didn't brand the Noveske logo into me....

DONATE TODAY!!
Old 07-14-2010, 2:13 PM
Calguns Addict

I have burns on my right forearm because Imma lefty and some of my guns drops the shells instead of kicking it. I shoot tuck mostly and it lands right on my inner elbows...Im looking at it right now...I have 4 burn marks. lol.

Talka bout burns...my sis-n-law went shooting with us over the weekend. we shot over 500 rounds...she finally decides to shoot the xd. her first shot the brass went into her bra!! OUCH!
Old 07-14-2010, 2:23 PM
CGN Contributor

my 11 year old daughter has a nice brand from a hot .223 round on her right forearm....she is very proud of it!
Old 07-14-2010, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif_slim View Post
Talka bout burns...my sis-n-law went shooting with us over the weekend. we shot over 500 rounds...she finally decides to shoot the xd. her first shot the brass went into her bra!! OUCH!
Yeah, my wife was originally wearing a tank top but I told her she'd better change it for a t-shirt or she's going to have a good brass catcher there. She wore a t-shirt but with a low collar, so that helped keep brass out of her bra but didn't help so much in this situation.

She told me that night that next time she's wearing a turtle neck to the range .
Old 07-14-2010, 2:25 PM

Worse I got was from a 22LR after emptying a mag on those vicious paper targets. I (unknowingly) rest my forearm on an empty casing that was still on the bench. Needless to say, I got a nice imprint of the 22 case complete with the rim. It puffed up immediately & when I got home I punctured it to let the fluid out.
Old 07-14-2010, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif_slim View Post
I have burns on my right forearm because Imma lefty and some of my guns drops the shells instead of kicking it. I shoot tuck mostly and it lands right on my inner elbows...Im looking at it right now...I have 4 burn marks. lol.

JK
Old 07-14-2010, 2:33 PM

Yup. I was wearing a v neck and some hot brass went down my collar and stuck. Had to do the dance to get it out but it left a welt that eventually scarred right where the v was. Not a good time.
Old 07-14-2010, 2:43 PM

I have Oakley M Frames and the spot where the frame and the ear pieces connect rides off of the face just enough to allow 9mm rounds to get stuck between the skin and the ear pieces. This has happened twice and I've received similiar burns but never from momentary contact. Did it get stuck under clothing or just hit the skin and fall?
Old 07-14-2010, 2:47 PM
Bringing up the average.
CGN Contributor

I have a Desert eagle 50AE that spits the shells directly out of the top and with the recoil they hit me right in the forehead. I went shooting with my dad and brother, when we were done 2 of us had bloodyforeheads and the other a black mark where shell/s hit.
Old 07-14-2010, 2:57 PM

I looked left at the range, just in time to catch a case from the stall next to me right in the forehead. Only the back edge hit, but it did break skin and left a little burn.
Old 07-14-2010, 3:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Never been burned that badly, but it does demonstrate why wearing shooting glasses and a brimmed hat while shooting is so darned important. Imagine if that round had hit her eye, or due to lack of brimmed hat slipped down inbetween eyeglasses and your eye.

Hope it doesn't scar.
Old 07-14-2010, 3:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

ive had one land on my bare forarm and leave a little burn the shape of the case and one half moon cut on my forehead from an odd eject
of a 30 carbine that had the case mouth chamfered so it was as sharp as the metal ferule on a pencil that had the eraser pulled out
Old 07-14-2010, 5:04 PM
Veteran Member

It's part of life
Old 07-14-2010, 5:06 PM
Jonathan Doe

I have couple of scars from hot rifle brass.
Old 07-14-2010, 5:14 PM

The worse burn I had ever received was a .45 casing that landed between my sunglasses and my right eye leaving a burn line from my eye lid leading down to my cheek. At one point it looked like a permanent scar but with neosporin and 10 days of healing it went away.
Old 07-14-2010, 5:15 PM

Yep.I had a few hot 5.56 go down the back of the collar on My flak vest.Nice burns on the back of the neck
Old 07-14-2010, 5:16 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Flying brass is part of shooting. I told my wife to wear a tshirt or shirt with long sleeves. She of course ignored me. Brass went right down the front of her shirt and all gun safety went out the door. I had to grab the gun and force her hand to aim downrange while the sizzle wore off. Now she wears proper attire.
I had so much brass bounce into my face, arms, neck, legs that i dont even flinch anymore. I had a guy dumping his AK next to me and his shells either bounced on my table or hit me. I ignored it all.
I did feel bad when my Saiga 12 was pelting folks 10 feet away with shotshells. They made me move to the rightmost lane.
Old 07-14-2010, 5:20 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Location: Live in NorCal and work in SoCal...Gun laws in CA are terrible.

As hot as it is a tank top is not what to go shooting with. I usually shot with a long sleeve t-shirt or one of my motorcross jerseys.
03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
Southwest Sales Manager -SolidWorks.
Old 07-14-2010, 5:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

When my GF's nephew was stationed at Pendelton about 2 years ago...we went to see him and he had a burn from a shell casing (don't remember what caliber but I seem to recall .223) that was gonna leave a scar at the base of his neck...said it got caught between his collar and skin....it was pretty nasty.
Old 07-14-2010, 6:04 PM

Burned? Yes. Broken skin? No.
Old 07-14-2010, 9:12 PM

Oh yes....

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=305726

"Environmentalists look at the gun, the car and the jet engine as instruments of Satan, but the mosquito has killed more than all three put together." Jeremy Clarkson, on the green movement

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-14-2010, 9:49 PM
Calguns Addict

The M16A1 was very unfriendly to left handed shooters which I am. At BT at Ft. Knox KY with my trusty XM16E1 in the fox hole shooting position I got two ejected cases down my shirt collar where they stuck to my skin. The Drill Sergeant behind me saw what happened and told me to keep shooting so I did. They left deep burn marks that stayed for quite awhile. When my relay stood down he told me to button the top button on my fatigue shirt from now on when shooting. It was hard to qualify Expert with ejected cases hitting my cheek if I snuggled up on the stock but I did anyway.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 07-14-2010, 9:57 PM

one time my friend and I were shooting our 10/22s next to each other from seated positions at a table. His gun ejected a .22LR shell onto the table and as it landed i assumed a bench rest position and caught the shell inbetween my left forearm and the table. There was still some residual powder burning in it (dirty/crappy ammo). It burned so bad I pulled my arm up immediately and it suck to it with the melted skin and flesh so I had to pull it off. It was a really bad burn through all layers of skin. I still have a 22LR brass case imprint on the underside of my forearm.
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:05 PM

Once a hot piece of brass landed in my shoe and gave me a nice blister on my ankle.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

At an indoor range,had .45 brass from the shooter next to me land in my shirt collar.Smelled the burn at the same time I felt it.Left a small scar.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:52 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I watched a guy at an IDPA match bounce a shell casing off the barricade next to him and actually have it land between his glasses and his eye. I'll give him kudos, though, because when he freaked and reached up to rip his glasses off his face, he had his finger off the trigger and kept the muzzle downrange.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:29 PM

my brass has landed in between my classmates glasses and eye. Only got his lid thank god

NRA MEMBER
Old 07-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

I had some .45 brass eject and land on the top of my eye pro. That was interesting.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My mother once got a hot casing stuck to her arm. She finished off the mag before removing it.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

Selling a bunch of C&R and other rifles here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=20061212
Old 07-15-2010, 8:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Yep. but nothing terrible. round wiggled its way down my shirt and got stuck at my belt line.

Aaron. yous till have a scar from that 45acp rim on your cheek?
D1.1 1F/G, 2F/G, 3F/G unlimited range, Steel SMAW
I can make custom shooting targets and paracord accesories. PM me.
Old 07-15-2010, 9:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hot summer day at Los Altos Rod & Gun 40yd tin can range. Shooting my AK, using steel case ammo. Had a case bounce off the chicken wire partition and came in through the top of my glasses, landing between my eyebrow & eye lid. I couldn't get the glasses off fast enough. Had a burn mark for a week.

Old 07-15-2010, 9:47 AM
Super Moderator

Man, you guys have it bad. I've been hit by flying brass, but lucky enough such that I've never really been badly burned.

Turby
Old 07-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Had a shell pop out of my 22/45, bounce off the range divider, and go down from the top of my prescription glasses until it lodged on my cheek right under my eye. Burn was deep red in the perfect shape of a .22 case. Since then I always wear goggles over my glasses.

"We are number one, all others are number two or lower." - The Sphinx

"Why does every discussion of culture always degrade into a discussion of burritos?" - GoZoner
Old 07-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Valar Dohaeris

My dad had a .45 ACP casing come straight up and smack him just above the eyebrow, made a neat little crescent moon cut, but no scar or burn.

Big Ammo Sale!
Harris Bipod and Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope for Sale