Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Nordyke: En Banc Dismissed, Remanded to Panel

All,

Nordyke was sent back to the 3-judge panel today; the original panel opinion was vacated and they are to reconsider the case in light of McDonald v. Chicago. The original panel is made up of Judges Gould, O’Scannlain and Alarcón.

Stay informed of the latest developments by following the Calguns Foundation twitter feed at http://twitter.com/CalgunsFdn.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Wow.
Can you remind us of the friendliness of each of these judges to our cause? Aside from the original incorporation decision? What do we expect? Nordyke for Dummies?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

For goodness sake....

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 07-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Banned

I suppose that's a good thing. Will they simply go with their initial decision, or will they say that, in light of McDonald, preventing guns at gun shows on public property is a violation of the second amendment?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Calguns Addict

OK, so that means it can be resolved quickly AND incorporation happens again 100% guaranteed. If it gets ruled on extra favorably, what's the possibility they'd try to en banc it again?
In Pennsylvania Your permit to carry concealed is called a License to carry fire arms. Other states call it a CCW. In New Jersey it's called a crime.
Discretionary Issue is the new Separate but Equal.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Calguns Addict

yeeeeeeehaaaa.....

So glad they acted quickly.

does this mean that Pena has the go ahead now?
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 07-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Peña isn't the one that was stalled, Sykes is.
In Pennsylvania Your permit to carry concealed is called a License to carry fire arms. Other states call it a CCW. In New Jersey it's called a crime.
Discretionary Issue is the new Separate but Equal.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
OK, so that means it can be resolved quickly AND incorporation happens again 100% guaranteed. If it gets ruled on extra favorably, what's the possibility they'd try to en banc it again?
The 3 judge panel will no longer be addressing incorporation it is settled law. It would seem, by the previous opinion (same judges and same facts) that the only thing they will be addressing is "sensitive areas" in light of the right to keep and bear arms being a FUNDAMENTAL right.
650-315-2210
Old 07-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
Peña isn't the one that was stalled, Sykes is.
No, Sykes is moving forward starting at McDonald + 60 days. Pena is the one that is waiting for Nordyke.
650-315-2210
Old 07-12-2010, 11:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I guess this means it's OK to find Sayre Weaver's sensitive places, but only in a parking lot.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Calguns Addict

The confusion on Sykes is natural. At one point (IIRC) Sykes was being held until after Nordyke but that was later changed to the McDonald + 60 days.

Do remember that these timelines are the times that the cases restart, not the time for the decision to be handed down.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

I seem to recall somebody predicted this?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...32&postcount=8

Old 07-12-2010, 11:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The panel at this point needs not consider the incorporation issue to reach their final analysis - that's done for them by McDonald. Ultimately, this will be an interesting opportunity for a circuit court of appeals to consider the meaning of "fundamental" as applied to firearms and related expressive conduct.

They could simply cut out the section on incorporation from the original panel opinion, insert a few McDonald cites and reissue but I would like to think that this panel, particularly, can read between the lines in McDonald regarding the Court's explicit rejection of certain forms of scrutiny (as found in both Heller and McDonald) and take a fresh look at the other issues presented in the case.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanDad View Post

Could you explain a little more? To me (as a non-lawyer) it would seem like what happened is not what you predicted.

Edit: I thought that you were saying that the ruling they initially made would effectively be the one which would finally be issued. What my fevered non-lawyer mind thinks happened is that they made their previous opinion go away and are officially starting anew - although with the benefit of the previous pleadings and information.

It could be that what you predicted equates to that - but to my inexpert reading it doesn't seem like it.

I'm looking for an education. . .

Last edited by OleCuss; 07-12-2010 at 11:29 AM..
Old 07-12-2010, 11:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
I guess this means it's OK to find Sayre Weaver's sensitive places, but only in a parking lot.
Oh. No. You. Didn't.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
Could you explain a little more? To me (as a non-lawyer) it would seem like what happened is not what you predicted.
Not exactly, but we won't know until we see additional orders (or an opinion) from the panel. However, his prediction that en banc would vacate and remand was indeed accurate.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbtrottr View Post
Wow.
Can you remind us of the friendliness of each of these judges to our cause? Aside from the original incorporation decision? What do we expect? Nordyke for Dummies?
Nordyke was originally a 1A case that argued the display of firearms at a gun show was expressive speech and was protected.

It had changed into an incorporation case (the details I do not know.) The 3 judge panel ruled that the 2A was incorporated against the state in an opinion written by O'Scannlain. This was the first time that a circuit court held the 2A incorporated! Yay! However; they ruled that the Alameda Fairgrounds were sensitive enough that the county could deny gun shows under the "sensitive area" doctrine in Heller. Gould wrote in his concurrence about the value of having an armed citizenry to help hold off invading forces (particularly in border states such as CA) until the militia can be called up or the military can respond.

In light of incorporation there were a couple CGF suits filed challenging the Roster and the CCW permitting process in CA.

The circuit stayed the Nordyke opinion and called in en banc, a very unusual action when neither litigant requested such. This effectively closed down incorporation in CA until they decided the case. They then sat on the case because SCOTUS took McDonald.

Since the original opinion addressed 2 issues. 1) is 2A incorporated and 2) does the fairgrounds qualify as a Heller "sensitive area" they will most likely only address the second question again. It is quite possible that they will find, in light of McDonald's emphasis of FUNDAMENTAL when discussing the right defined in Heller, that the fairgrounds are not a "sensitive area."
650-315-2210
Old 07-12-2010, 11:30 AM

This is great news!

Did the 3 Judge panel's original decision consider the sensitive places argument in light of the 2nd Amendment protecting a fundamental civil right?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Not exactly, but we won't know until we see additional orders (or an opinion) from the panel. However, his prediction that en banc would vacate and remand was indeed accurate.
Thank you!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:38 AM

I just can't wait until this is all behind us and we can have our fundamental god given rights back....

Old 07-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Wouldn't it be nice to have an order from the panel requesting the County to submit a brief describing what compelling interest the county has in denying gun shows access to the fairgrounds?
650-315-2210
Old 07-12-2010, 11:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

That there feller is pretty smart. But since the hold was not only lifted but the case was also sent back what does your crystal ball predict for the gun show in light of a fundamental right?

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 07-12-2010, 12:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTapCoke View Post
This is great news!

Did the 3 Judge panel's original decision consider the sensitive places argument in light of the 2nd Amendment protecting a fundamental civil right?
See, e.g., the panel's analysis on sensitive places pp. 4497-4501 (PDF 30-34); 1A pp 4501-4507 (34-40).

The original panel opinion is here.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
I suppose that's a good thing. Will they simply go with their initial decision, or will they say that, in light of McDonald, preventing guns at gun shows on public property is a violation of the second amendment?
This sort of decision to me looks a lot like a "Grant, Vacate, Remand". Two of the en banc panel's judges were on the original panel, and if they wanted the decision to remain the same, they would have either written a short per curiam opinion upholding the decision.

I think we're going to win Nordyke.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:17 PM

My crystal ball predicts things that are full of WIN. This news just made my day!

Thanks CGF!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Banned

Old 07-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
Wouldn't it be nice to have an order from the panel requesting the County to submit a brief describing what compelling interest the county has in denying gun shows access to the fairgrounds?
I just hope they don't remand to the trial court.
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria http://www.a-human-right.com/
Old 07-12-2010, 12:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty1 View Post
I just hope they don't remand to the trial court.
Which may actually be the better outcome for on point fact-finding as to evidence on sensitive places. However, I would lean (both in preference and in probability, though my first preference would be an outright win) toward an outcome where the original panel reissues minus incorporation, Nordykes petition for cert, SCOTUS GVRs with a per curiam and they go back to go up on the sensitive places issue (and possibly the 1A issue also) with some direction.

http://volokh.com/2010/07/12/gun-sho...okh+Conspiracy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Volokh
In early 2009, a 3-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled (in Nordyke v. King) that the Second Amendment was applicable to state and local governments. But the panel also ruled that a county ban on gun possession in county parks and fairgrounds was constitutional, because such property fell within the “sensitive places” exception to Second Amendment protection (announced by the Supreme Court D.C. v. Heller). Not long after, the Ninth Circuit agreed to rehear the case using an 11-judge en banc panel, and then put the case on hold pending the Supreme Court’s consideration of whether the Second Amendment was indeed applicable to state and local governments.

Today, the Ninth Circuit sent the case back to the original 3-judge panel, instructing the panel to consider it further “in light of McDonald v. City of Chicago.” But since the Supreme Court in McDonald v. City of Chicago (1) agreed with the panel that the Second Amendment was indeed applicable to state and local governments, and (2) did not opine on the scope of the “sensitive places” exception, I’d expect that the Ninth Circuit panel would just reaffirm its original decision. The gun show organizers will therefore likely lose, as they lost originally.

For my limited views on restrictions of gun possession on government property, see PDF pp. 87–91 of my Implementing the Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Self-Defense article.
To reiterate:

Quote:
The panel at this point needs not consider the incorporation issue to reach their final analysis - that's done for them by McDonald. Ultimately, this will be an interesting opportunity for a circuit court of appeals to consider the meaning of "fundamental" as applied to firearms and related expressive conduct.

They could simply cut out the section on incorporation from the original panel opinion, insert a few McDonald cites and reissue but I would like to think that this panel, particularly, can read between the lines in McDonald regarding the Court's explicit rejection of certain forms of scrutiny (as found in both Heller and McDonald) and take a fresh look at the other issues presented in the case.
Let's hope for the latter, and, in any case, a speedy resolution.

Last edited by wildhawker; 07-12-2010 at 1:12 PM..
Old 07-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
That there feller is pretty smart. But since the hold was not only lifted but the case was also sent back what does your crystal ball predict for the gun show in light of a fundamental right?
I think Nordyke stands as is (and the Nordykes are now free to challenge the "sensitive places" language that resulted in the ruling to SCOTUS- it truly is the case that never goes away.)

Old 07-12-2010, 1:04 PM

What differs in the Nordyke decision from the McDonald decision? Nordyke found the 2A incorporated against the State, then determined that the ban on guns on County property was not sufficiently restrictive to the fundamental right to warrant overturning the ordinance. Is it the level of scrutiny utilized in the Nordyke decision on the 2A infringement? I have not included discussion of the 1A portion of Nordyke, as I don't know that that portions is impacted by McDonald.
Old 07-12-2010, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallshot13 View Post
What differs in the Nordyke decision from the McDonald decision? Nordyke found the 2A incorporated against the State, then determined that the ban on guns on County property was not sufficiently restrictive to the fundamental right to warrant overturning the ordinance. Is it the level of scrutiny utilized in the Nordyke decision on the 2A infringement? I have not included discussion of the 1A portion of Nordyke, as I don't know that that portions is impacted by McDonald.
Exactly that - the scrutiny level changes dramatically when right is deemed 'fundamental'-. Once a right bears that label it is VERY difficult to impinge that right (IE: restrictions or barriers to exercising that right). Tests long used by courts such as rational basis & intermediate (heightened) scrutiny no longer apply. The court must use the strict scrutiny test which is much more difficult.

From aw.jrank.org:

Once a court determines that strict scrutiny must be applied, it is presumed that the law or policy is unconstitutional. The government has the burden of proving that its challenged policy is constitutional. To withstand strict scrutiny, the government must show that its policy is necessary to achieve a compelling state interest. If this is proved, the state must then demonstrate that the legislation is narrowly tailored to achieve the intended result.

Read more: Strict Scrutiny http://law.jrank.org/pages/10552/Str...#ixzz0tVPaDI86
Old 07-12-2010, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallshot13 View Post
The Nordyke court found that the ban on gun shows was OK, but allowed renactments of gun battles, ones that had the actors firing blanks. The three-prong standard they have to use now: The law is necessary to achieve a compelling state interest, narrowly tailord to meet that interest, and the least restrictive means to do so. How they let actors fire blanks during a show, but not let us look at guns at a show is hard for me to understand. But, there is no federal law banning gun shows.
Old 07-12-2010, 1:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
...an outcome where the original panel reissues minus incorporation, Nordykes petition for cert, SCOTUS GVRs with a per curiam and they go back to go up on the sensitive places issue (and possibly the 1A issue also) with some direction.
Oh yes, I forget the must lose to win strategy of Heller/McDonald. Here is to Losing (this round)!!!
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria http://www.a-human-right.com/
Old 07-12-2010, 2:01 PM

It's great to see things moving forward!
Old 07-12-2010, 2:09 PM
Veteran Member

This news is faster and better than I was expecting.
Old 07-12-2010, 2:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Damn, look what happens when I go out to lunch and get stuck in a meeting!

This sounds like great news.

I'm guessing that the origional pannel will move quickly thus un-sticking Pena fairly soon.

It will be great if Nordyke gives SCOTUS the chance to explicitly specify what a sensitive place is.

I think we are going to see some really great things come out of this and Don Kilmer is going to get paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 07-12-2010, 2:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Is this good? I thought there was some issue with this allowing Gorski to restart his destruction of gun rights in this state?
Old 07-12-2010, 2:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Just a word of warning?

I'm pretty sure there is as yet no ruling that the 2A restrictions require strict scrutiny. It would appear to be implied by the repeated statement in McDonald that the RKBA is "fundamental" and it would appear that SCOTUS was telegraphing that a ruling for strict scrutiny was expected - but it hasn't yet been ruled as the standard.

So while "rational basis" appears untenable, I consider it possible that a court could still try to apply intermediate scrutiny. I think SCOTUS would eventually slap them around over this - but they could still choose intermediate or some novel form of scrutiny for the time being.
Old 07-12-2010, 2:23 PM

Quote:
I think Nordyke stands as is (and the Nordykes are now free to challenge the "sensitive places" language that resulted in the ruling to SCOTUS- it truly is the case that never goes away.)
This is the case that never ends,
and it goes on and on, my friends.
Some people started suing it, not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue suing it forever just because...
Old 07-12-2010, 2:26 PM
Veteran Member

Default Sensitive zones

It seems to me that we will have to come up with a "Sensitive Zone" standard and perhaps that is where we will have to go.

First, what makes a "Zone" "Sensitive" that those who go into those zones have to waive a "fundamental right".

What makes the county fairgrounds sensitive?

Now, if a zone is sensitive and those who enter the zone have are now "gun free" and therefore stripped of their self defense rights, what are the people who are running the zone doing to provide security for the zones?

What are they doing to limit access and what are they doing to secure that bad people don't take arms into the zone? A open fairground with limited security, no gate screening wouldn't meet those standards.

I guess this also brings up equality under the law issues. Seems to me that if it is a public venue, why are gun owners being discriminated against.

Alameda county made an arguement that there was a shooting at the county fair, seems to me that they demonstrated that their security is inadequate and perhaps one could make the arguement now that since Alameda can't or won't provide effective security at the fairgrounds, the people who attend should be able to protect themselves.

Nicki