Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 04-13-2006, 6:14 PM

Default Channel Islands Bug opener

I wasn't going to post this again but the board has really grown this year so I thought I'd share this with some of the newer members.
Lobster season opens on 10/1 @ 12:00 am this year.
Hunting bugs is like easter egg hunting but slightly different and we PARTY.

We normally show up in Santa Barbara in the afternoon, check in on the boat,grab about 15 friends,do a fancy dinner,take over on of the local bars,crawl back to the boat,sleep while the boat takes us to the islands,wake up to a fancy breakfast and begin the hunt.
My personal best was a 12 pounder.
My favorite recipes are either BBQ w/ tons of butter basting or lobster ravioli.
We also limit out on rock scallops that are hocky puck size after you clean them.
This is the first year that I will be able to take the family out on opening day because these spots are always booked.
Limiting out should not be hard @ 5 lobster and 10 scallops each per day plus what ever fish you want to harvest.
Few spots left and I'd rather see them booked by gun nuts than liberals dorks.
4 1/2 days on a excellent large boat with culonary type chefs cooking for you is $650.
Please note: The only personal gain I have in this post is to keep the boat stacked with people that I can get along with so no wimps need apply .
Andy
Old 04-13-2006, 8:11 PM

Andy I gotta ask...

1. is there a DIR approved bug bag?

2. What flavor of kool aid goes with scallops?

Old 04-14-2006, 2:31 PM

Oh boy here we go.
Probably a good time for some to grab some popcorn.
Surly,
Kudos to you for having some insight.
Speaking strictly for myself.
I love diving.
I love diving the way I chose to be trained.
I get along with all divers that have a sence of humor.
I won't put myself in an unsafe situation or dive with an unsafe diver (kinda the same thing but can differ).
I will help a person with lesser skills work on their skills but I will never instruct.
I honestly don't care how people outside my group dive.It's just non of my business,even if they break rule #7 (#7 states that you gotta look cool).
Now to answer your questions.
Different dive plans might have different goals so with that in mind you might gear or rig up differently for them.
Might include specialty gear like a camera,deco bottles,DPV,recovery tools and maybe even my one handed spring loaded bug bag .
As a properly trained team (dressed in black and sporting 18W helios non the less) with decent skills my daughter and I have been called DIR even on bug trips.
That being said not all situations can be made into DIR dives.
Showing up hung over comes to mind but there are many more.
It's kinda like the saying "you can't polish a turd".
I'm as wild as they get,louder than most and I do it all sober so pass me the F_cking lemon flavored Kool aid so I can wash these scallops down 8).
BTW whatta ya think of these white sneakers?
Old 04-14-2006, 7:16 PM

Good for you Andy! I was jes' yanking your chain a bit.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote. I'm a strictly rec diver at this point, and a fairly new one at that. There are a lot of things I like about the DIR approach and would like to take the fundamentals class sometime soon.

Anacapa was beautiful today, btw. Vis could have been better, but considering that we got very little of the rain that was predicted, I was a very happy camper.
Old 04-14-2006, 8:00 PM
Banned

Andy,
I think I might want to go just to have a good time! I haven't been certified for over 10 years, and you know me, I have alot of stuff going on. But, $650 for 4 days is a helluva alot less than a reno trip. Got room for an observer/helper/photographer? PS: I love lobster and scallops!

Last edited by 11Z50; 04-14-2006 at 9:03 PM..
Old 04-14-2006, 10:54 PM

I dont even eat seafood but it sounds like a fun trip Im actually leaving for coszumel in the morning and hope to get some diving in.

"wildhawker
People generally do what they want, not what they can, or should."
Old 04-15-2006, 6:46 AM

Hey Toby,
Come on down.
Shelley and I would love to hang out with you.
She really onlys like to go because she doesn't have to do ****.The crew takes care of everything for you when your not underwater so she'll be hanging around on deck alot with a drink in her hand.
Old 04-15-2006, 9:57 PM
Banned

I'll pencil it in. I will keep you posted. BTW I'll be in Martinez again Monday-Thursday....