Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-08-2010, 1:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Fairfield man arrested after allegedly firing cannon at his home

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BF9C.DTL&tsp=1

Fairfield man held for allegedly firing cannon

Henry K. Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer
July 8, 2010 01:48 PM Copyright .

Thursday, July 8, 2010

(07-08) 13:48 PDT FAIRFIELD -- A Fairfield man who allegedly fired a cannon at his home has been arrested on suspicion of possessing a destructive device, police said today.

Richard Curtis, 25, was arrested at his home on Vienna Court at about 12:30 p.m. Wednesday after police received calls that he had shot off a cannon, authorities said.

Police brought an armored vehicle to the home after being told that Curtis probably owned numerous guns. He was arrested without incident.

No damage was caused. It was not immediately known how big the cannon was.

E-mail Henry K. Lee at hlee@sfchronicle.com.
Old 07-08-2010, 2:06 PM
Veteran Member

If it was a blackpowder cannon, esp. a muzzle-loading one, I don't see how he could be in possession of a DD unless they believe he had explosive shells or something.
Old 07-08-2010, 2:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN ContributorCGN Contributor - Lifetime

http://www.thereporter.com/news/ci_15465114

A little more detail in this story; "No one was hurt when the device was set off and it appears that no projectiles were fired."

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."
Thomas Jefferson.
"a system of licensing the right of
self-defense, which doesn’t recognize self-defense as “good cause”
Don Kilmer
Old 07-08-2010, 3:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Is there even a law against firing off a cannon that has no projectile? The only thing I can think of is a noise ordinance.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 07-08-2010, 4:24 PM
Veteran Member

Default Just had a discussion about something like this

Just had this discussion last night at my BlackPowder meeting. It was stated that the NMLA would prefer that we keep it to 3 shots a minute max, or that they "BATFE" might have to consider it a destructive device. In other words if we take our time and cruise it's ok. I think it's kinda hard for some of the veteran cannoneers to go that slow.
Old 07-08-2010, 4:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

From what I read it was a big bang cannon that you can buy here,

http://www.bigbangcannons.com/

Fairfield is not known for having much common sense. My ex used to be a detective there.
Old 07-08-2010, 5:21 PM

geesh. can't have any fun anymore. I wonder if they ended up charging him with anything?

Also,
Quote:
Police brought an armored vehicle to the home after being told that Curtis probably owned numerous guns.
REALLY??? probably owning numerous guns warrants the armored cars being brought out....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Women teachers are "liberated and empowered." They are embolden so much by our current society that they can wave their vagina around like a flag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderThanDirt View Post
I treat all people the same until they open their big mouths and make me feel otherwise.
Old 07-08-2010, 5:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It wasn't me!!!! OK, I have fired a 3" gun at my old home but, I was living on 400 acres and only fired it once. I'm still wondering what everyone at Sherwood Country Club thought they heard that 5th day in July.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 07-09-2010, 10:35 PM

http://cbs13.com/local/cannon.fairfi...2.1797248.html

and the story continues...
I love all the catch phrases used to make him look crazy. After filtering out the garbage I think I would like to hang out with this guy

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry

Don't Listen to me, I had bad grades in high school....
Old 07-10-2010, 10:16 AM

Watch the video
what B.S. Pretty scary "cache" with that levergun and all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Women teachers are "liberated and empowered." They are embolden so much by our current society that they can wave their vagina around like a flag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderThanDirt View Post
I treat all people the same until they open their big mouths and make me feel otherwise.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
Watch the video
what B.S. Pretty scary "cache" with that levergun and all.
i cannot believe the best the could do was show a wooden box that said "explosives" is that a crime? that was a freakin toy cannon! this bs scares the hell out of me. if they can arrest him then im sure they could arrest 95% of the members right here on calguns too.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Calguns Addict

with the "cache of weapons" that included an "assault rifle" they busted him on "narcotics" and "IED".

okay then....

Those Fairfield PD boys really took down a hardened criminal bent on mayhem and destruction.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The cannon might be legal, but I guess the moral of the story here is to not do anything that would attract attention to yourself. That seems to be the best course of action.

Turby
Old 07-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

All of this over a freaking carbide cannon.
Calcium Carbide + Water = acetelyene gas
Gas + Spark = Boom.

Hell, we played with these things as a kid. I still have one at Mom's somewhere. Hmmmm. Shove a potato on the end and make a "plug" then fire it. Potato gun with a 45 foot range. More fun were using 3/4 to 5/8" wood dowels.

But today police would call that an "illegal weapon" or some such bulls--t.

One year, in the City of Sunnvale, a neighbor rolled a small howitzer and a "two pounder" into the bed of his truck and took it down to the nearby park on July 4th. He coordinated with the FD and the firemen were probably even more excited that us kids were (if that was possible). The two pounder he fired with just powder. But the knee-high howitzer did end up shooting a [steel] beer can filled with sand about 80 yards. Way cool. And when the PD showed up, they were like "hey, this is really cool!" -- no one thought a bit about arresting anyone or getting pi--y about it.

This country was born of war, in a revolution. Every year we celebrate Independence Day with fireworks. Those large blossoms and loud bangs emulate the cannon barrages. The "whistling" fireworks emulate the rockets and early mortars. Firecrackers remind us of Musket fire. I think it's a shame that our youth aren't given the chance to enjoy them first hand.
Old 07-10-2010, 1:13 PM
Calguns Addict

So if that AR looking rifle was indeed an AW, was he charged for it? I'm not seeing that in any of the reporting.

Also very curious... if the 'experts' determined he had illegally modified what is a toy for all intents and purposes (and that's what a carbide cannon is) how could the same experts not figure out how to "secure it"?

All this time I thought there was actual real crime and a gang problem for Fairfield PD to deal with. Apparently I was wrong since the lieutenant interviewed in the video makes a clear statement that it's the PDs responsibility to determine what is "not right to have in a residential area".

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

Last edited by BigDogatPlay; 07-10-2010 at 1:17 PM..
Old 07-10-2010, 1:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

not the country I grew up in anymore....
Old 07-10-2010, 2:24 PM

I'm very concerned. I own two of these cannon that I got from my Father-in-law. No narcotics in the house but considering they called the toy cannon an IED the narcotics in question may only be a bottle of prescription vicoden where the label fell off.

I guess I had better make sure I am well groomed before I shoot it off next time, I need to have a better looking mug-shot for the press release.
I am a member of the human race. All relevant information is to be found in my passport. And except when there is good reason for suspecting me of some crime, I will refuse to submit to police interrogation, on the grounds that any such interrogation is an intolerable nuisance. And life being as short as it is, a waste of time. Any infringement on my privacy, or interference with my liberty, any assault, however petty, against my dignity as a human being, will be rigorously prosecuted-Orson W.
Old 07-10-2010, 2:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN ContributorCGN Contributor - Lifetime

Seems as though I have about eleven months to build a little noisemaker
Old 07-10-2010, 3:58 PM

"A Fairfield man who allegedly fired a cannon at his home has been arrested on suspicion of possessing a destructive device, police said today."

Dang, I better leave the Taco Bell burritos at home
Old 07-10-2010, 4:08 PM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerpin View Post
I need to have a better looking mug-shot for the press release.

So you'll have a good looking picture of yourself when we donate to CGF on your behalf !!! LOL ....
Old 07-10-2010, 4:11 PM
Calguns Addict

More and more the Police spokespeople have to inject "feel" and uncomfortable" into their interviews with the press in order to justify their actions.
Old 07-10-2010, 9:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Total BS unless there is more to the story.

NRA MEMBER

Originally Posted by ar15barrels
Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
Michael Reagan
Old 07-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogatPlay View Post
So if that AR looking rifle was indeed an AW, was he charged for it? I'm not seeing that in any of the reporting.
yep, if he was in violation you bet yer money Fairfield, well, Solano Co DA would jump on it. but they had this to say
http://cbs13.com/local/cannon.fairfi...2.1797248.html
Quote:
Tony also explained that "Every one of them is a legal weapon; they were registered during the assault weapons ban of the 33,000 weapons registered in the state."

Which police say is true.
Quote:
All this time I thought there was actual real crime and a gang problem for Fairfield PD to deal with. Apparently I was wrong since the lieutenant interviewed in the video makes a clear statement that it's the PDs responsibility to determine what is "not right to have in a residential area".
Just to be fair(hehe) if he fired it off in the middle of the neighborhood and a few neighbors are noise sensitive, they "could" make a stink. But in America usually the PD or Sheriffs go there and asks the guy to knock it off if the neighbors are noise-sensitive, not arrest on sight.

Last edited by CalNRA; 07-10-2010 at 10:46 PM..
Old 07-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member

my cousin does civil war re-enactment and is a cannoneer and he fires his off a cannon on thanksgiving. why on thanksgiving, i have no idea.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:55 PM

The real message of this story? One had better fear the "experts" of any police agency who cannot figure out what a Big Bang cannon is. What idiocy.
Old 07-11-2010, 8:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalNRA View Post
Just to be fair(hehe) if he fired it off in the middle of the neighborhood and a few neighbors are noise sensitive, they "could" make a stink. But in America usually the PD or Sheriffs go there and asks the guy to knock it off if the neighbors are noise-sensitive, not arrest on sight.
Well that is pretty much what I used to do when I got sent to fireworks calls.

And thanks for the additional statement from the PD on RAW.... the story wouldn't load fully for me.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 07-11-2010, 10:37 AM

My, how times change...
Attorney Melvin Belli used to fire a cannon from the rooftop of his San Francisco offices every time he won a case.
Old 07-11-2010, 3:20 PM
Calguns Addict

So he was arrested because he made the police feel uncomfortable? He had a toy cannon, registered AWs, and some narcotics junk. I can understand the drug stuff, but weapons charges? Come on.
Old 07-11-2010, 5:16 PM

I think I will clean my cache of weapons today. Sorry I mean collection
Old 07-11-2010, 5:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
Is there even a law against firing off a cannon that has no projectile? The only thing I can think of is a noise ordinance.
Is a reason needed to be arrested these days?
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

Selling a bunch of C&R and other rifles here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=20061212
Old 07-11-2010, 5:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
Not much of one it seems.
Old 07-11-2010, 5:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalNRA View Post
Where is that America you're speaking of? Is it a country? How does one go about moving there?
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

Selling a bunch of C&R and other rifles here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=20061212
Old 07-11-2010, 6:25 PM

Hope he has a good lawyer. Sounds like he has a decent chance of winning, at least.

Tagging this one to see if anything else develops.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Revenue generating unless there is more to the story.

So a keg of black powder and length of green fuse is a no no?
Old 07-11-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Curtis was arrested for possession of narcotic paraphernalia and possession of an improvised explosive device.
You are all missing the point. With drug paraphernalia possession he wont be getting anything back. Doesnt matter how registered his AW is. If they can prove drug paraphernalia his goose is cooked.
Remember Legal RAW and drug paraphernalia = Felony non wobbler prohibited for life!!!!

This story only includes the canon because that is what scared the neighborhood and they needed a reason to go in the house once dispatch told police that there was a RAW inside. Drugs was a bonus and the destructive device is relevent only now with drugs to get the FED's involved so his California medical marijuana card is rendered useless. Legal Drugs + Legal Guns = Jail + life felony.
Old 07-12-2010, 1:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmaster View Post
You are all missing the point. With drug paraphernalia possession he wont be getting anything back. Doesnt matter how registered his AW is. If they can prove drug paraphernalia his goose is cooked.
usually with a drug bust there is always mentioning of "123 street value of xyz" was discovered in the raid. It could be vicotin with the prescription lost as far as we can guess