Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 07-06-2010, 6:35 AM

Default My Sig 522 SWAT Review

I just took my new Sig 522 SWAT to the range today, here is my review.

Pros: Not 1 jam firing about 300 rounds, using Federal 36 grain, hollow point. Trigger pull was very nice. Fired great with the stocked folded. Very accurate. Works great with Magpul BUS iron sights. Easy to clean afterwards. This was a huge plus after owning a 10/22.

Cons: Besides cost the only complaints that I have is the usual "for that price it should come with iron sights", but more importantly it was damaged in shipping. As I picked up the rifle I noticed the case was slightly damaged on one side. I didn't think much of it until I tried to sight in the rifle. I noticed that the front rail didn't match up to the receiver correctly, see attached picture look just left of T21. This made a huge difference since the front sights were to the left rear sights. I think that it was hit on right side and bent the front rail just slightly. I will contact the FFL dealer and see what he has to say about this today. I know that this is a rare thing and that it should not affect anyone's decsion to buy this rifle.

Overall I think it is a great rifle and really enjoy shooting it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sig 522.jpg (94.4 KB, 282 views)
Old 07-06-2010, 1:29 PM

Since it has a full rail, there isn't any issue with needing an adapter for the MBUS like on the standard model right? I read people having to buy $200 iron sights but if there isn't an issue with the MBUS on the SWAT I'll spend the extra money. I'm a newb to all things tacticool and I'm really tempted to get a 522 SWAT.
Old 07-06-2010, 4:49 PM

No, there isn't any issue with these sights. I was very impressed with them. I got them on Amazon for about $100, see the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Magpul-Sight-P...8463507&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/MAGPUL-MBUS-FR...8463507&sr=8-2
Old 07-06-2010, 6:08 PM
Calguns Addict

I saved $150 on the regular 522 over the SWAT version and then paid it back plus $50 for Samson sights that fit it but I am still $50 ahead on the Swat version even if I got cheap sights for the SWAT--but I have Samsons. I am happy to spend another $20 for the rail kit if I need to, but I am only going to add an RD and maybe magnifier.

Either way works if it's what you want--just reminding you that the math involved doesn't show it to be the bargain you think..

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-- John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Last edited by advocatusdiaboli; 07-06-2010 at 6:21 PM..
Old 07-07-2010, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the info. I think I'll spring for the SWAT from my local range, I need to pay them back somehow for all the free range time they give me
Old 07-07-2010, 10:30 AM

get RED DOT Sight on sale for $89....Everywhere $125-199
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23

This is same as Sig Sauger mini red dot sight
Old 07-07-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper4usmc View Post
This is same as Sig Sauger mini red dot sight
"same" as in function and performace? physically it's not quite identical to Sig sight but it's not as expensive either.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasushi View Post
"same" as in function and performace? physically it's not quite identical to Sig sight but it's not as expensive either.
Often, all these sights are made in the same factory in China, but to different specs for different customers and price points

acutally SRP on Bushnell is $5 more then Sig Sauer mini red dot/
http://www.shopbushnell.com/detail/BSN+731303
http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/Sho...&productid=286

Last edited by sniper4usmc; 07-07-2010 at 12:55 PM..
Old 07-07-2010, 1:04 PM
Banned

These are not the same sight - for one the sig has 3x the battery life and while it's got a 4 moa to the 3.5 on the srp the brightness adjustment and definition on the red dot is better - and you dont have to take your hands off fire control to operate the sig. I've had alot of other clones and they don't match up to the sig, many of them have a 3 hour battery life if that.
Old 07-07-2010, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy_clothing View Post
These are not the same sight - for one the sig has 3x the battery life and while it's got a 4 moa to the 3.5 on the srp the brightness adjustment and definition on the red dot is better - and you dont have to take your hands off fire control to operate the sig. I've had alot of other clones and they don't match up to the sig, many of them have a 3 hour battery life if that.
maybe u should read the reviews.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/...ot-731303.html

I don't think Bushnell have 3 hr battery life...I rather have Bushnell for $89 vs Sig $200+-....u worried about battery life? CR2032 batteries are cheap
Old 08-16-2010, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis121 View Post
I just took my new Sig 522 SWAT to the range today, here is my review.

Pros: Not 1 jam firing about 300 rounds, using Federal 36 grain, hollow point. Trigger pull was very nice. Fired great with the stocked folded. Very accurate. Works great with Magpul BUS iron sights. Easy to clean afterwards. This was a huge plus after owning a 10/22.

Cons: Besides cost the only complaints that I have is the usual "for that price it should come with iron sights", but more importantly it was damaged in shipping. As I picked up the rifle I noticed the case was slightly damaged on one side. I didn't think much of it until I tried to sight in the rifle. I noticed that the front rail didn't match up to the receiver correctly, see attached picture look just left of T21. This made a huge difference since the front sights were to the left rear sights. I think that it was hit on right side and bent the front rail just slightly. I will contact the FFL dealer and see what he has to say about this today. I know that this is a rare thing and that it should not affect anyone's decsion to buy this rifle.

Overall I think it is a great rifle and really enjoy shooting it
The Rails on my 522 SWAT do not match the receiver either, almost identically to yours. How much grief did it give you when trying to sight it in (I haven't sighted it yet). Did you contact the the dealer about it? What did he say?
Old 08-18-2010, 5:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowaltski View Post
The Rails on my 522 SWAT do not match the receiver either, almost identically to yours. How much grief did it give you when trying to sight it in (I haven't sighted it yet). Did you contact the the dealer about it? What did he say?

Don't mount the FS on the rail, put it in the gas block dovetail. The setup
in the picture works fine on my SIG 522(with MI sights). Pete

The problem is HEADSPACE between the ears!
Obama for 8 years will be the worst thing to happen to
our country since the Civil War.
Old 08-18-2010, 6:16 PM

I had a bit of trouble sighting it in. Luckily the rear sight that I used had enough adjustment. My dealer, Colby @ CGM Firearms, said that if I wanted to send it back he would take care of it. I am still deciding. I heard that it might take a few months to get it back from Sig, and there is no guarantee they will do anything about it.