Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 07-03-2010, 4:48 PM

Default Rimfire Firing Pin - Marlin 795

I noticed today while I was doing the second cleaning that the firing pin seems to be hard to get freed up. I like to flush it with solvent and blow it dry, then I shake it back and forth so I can here it clicking. Then I know it has free movement with no debris. It seems not to free up so after more flushing I took a good look at it and it seems to have a minor bend to it. It does move freely now after more cleaning and has not FTF except for bad rounds, 4 out of around 400. Always make a good hard strike.

So it functions fine, even better after some break in.

Should I get a new pin, only had it out twice. Also noticed the breech block surface, on the side you cant see of course, seems porous or almost pitted. Works fine but want to keep it that way.

BTW, only have dry fired it 2 times, after cleaning to un-cock it.

Meyer Auto Service - Hesperia, CA

Last edited by Donny1; 07-03-2010 at 11:16 PM..
Old 07-04-2010, 1:48 AM

I use compressed air to make sure all the solvent & crud is removed from the firing pin channel.

I also noticed the same about the breech block surface. More so on one side then the other. It's a cheap gun, so I guess I'm not too surprised. Cheap or not it shoots very well.

I just keep the gun well cleaned and lubed so it will last and it seems to also ease my worries.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigma View Post
I also noticed the same about the breech block surface. More so on one side then the other. It's a cheap gun, so I guess I'm not too surprised. Cheap or not it shoots very well.
It does shoot great but, being cheap is one thing, QC is another. It's like comparing a Honda to a Ford. For years Japanese cars were built from lighter, cheaper materials, but to much tighter tolerances and they outlasted bigger, heavier, stronger American cars 3 to 1. Not really the case anymore, there about the same now.

It's how its made, not so much what it's made from, mostly.

I did a side by side comparison of My Model 60 which is maybe 15 years old and the new 795. The breech block on the 60 is not porous or pitted looking. The difference must be in the quality when it's cast, materials used, etc. The firing pin on the 60 is perfectly straight. I imagine it's been dry fired a lot more since I'm not the first owner.

I no I only paid $109 after rebate but how much per unit could it cost to make it as good as the 60? $5?, $10? I don't think it would change the attractiveness to add that to the cost.

I will be contacting Marlin with a tactful critique and to let them know about my minor level of disappointment in the hopes they might send me a new firing pin, or maybe the breechblock/pin assy.

The pin should not be bent and I don't care if it works. There is no reason for it.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:27 AM

as long as its firing then leave it, i hear dry firing a rimfire is really bad. i have had my marlin for some time now, i clean it like every 1500 to 2000 rounds shot. it still functions fine. i notice that if i clean the entire rifle and lube it well i will get more jams till i guess the lube dries up.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae13291 View Post
as long as its firing then leave it, i hear dry firing a rimfire is really bad. i have had my marlin for some time now, i clean it like every 1500 to 2000 rounds shot. it still functions fine. i notice that if i clean the entire rifle and lube it well i will get more jams till i guess the lube dries up.
LOL, sounds like a torture test. IMHO when it gets dry and the parts are contacting each other your going to have wear. I only had mine out twice and around 500 rounds total. Out twice, cleaned and lubed twice. I can leave a dirty gun. If I don't do it when I come home I have to do it the next day. No brush down the barrel though unless I see some build up, just some solvent, dry and then a light coat of oil.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:12 PM

i dont treat all of the guns we own that way, just my little .22, its a great rifle, i noticed these rifles really dont like the oil. everytime i oil mine it tends to jam and then after 10 rounds it functions flawless. after maybe 1000-1500 rounds it starts jamming again and thats when i clean it. i use all the hyper rounds and all, still no problems.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:56 PM

Default Firing pin pics

Hers some pics of the bent firing pin and breechblock surface.

Old 07-13-2010, 9:47 AM

Remove the pin, place it on an anvil, and hammer flat. Then replace in bolt.

I'd also suggest polishing the bolt's outer surfaces...makes it slide a lot better, fewer problems with FTE's due to short powder loads in cheap Remington bulk ammo
Old 07-13-2010, 1:52 PM

^^^ good idea on the polishing, i dident think of that. im gonna do that to mine.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shrek View Post
I'd also suggest polishing the bolt's outer surfaces...
What's best to use to polish the metal?