Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 07-01-2010, 4:58 PM

Default Ak help: Need to press of fsb/gas block

Well I just picked up my saiga 7.62x39 today. I am looking at converting it to an ak-104 style rifle. I already purchased the proper front wight gas block combo from kvar a few weeks ago. I am going to need someone to press off the front sight and gas block for me as well as install the new one. Is there anyone located in the bay area that does good work? What does this normally cost? I am normally the type of person who buys in the configuration that I want, but the arsenal model is unavailable at this time, plus the hassle of having to middle man it. Besides I got the saiga on a smoking deal to boot. Also my final question is I have not acquired a press on lower hand guard retainer, as I do not know what diameter I need? Does anyone know what diameter I need and where I can track one down? I have been looking and no place has the one with the sling mount in stock at this time. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2010, 5:20 PM

you can buy any Romy LHGR, the AKM one with the sling loop on the side and cleaning rod hole works fine. check to see if your FSB and GB have dimples on the sides, if it does then you need to cut off the parts, on most of the 09 built saigas they pressed a dimple in the FSB and GB to hold it in place since thats easier to do.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae13291 View Post
you can buy any Romy LHGR, the AKM one with the sling loop on the side and cleaning rod hole works fine. check to see if your FSB and GB have dimples on the sides, if it does then you need to cut off the parts, on most of the 09 built saigas they pressed a dimple in the FSB and GB to hold it in place since thats easier to do.
The FSB and GS do not need to be cut off, you risk damaging the barrel if you start cutting.
I use a 7/32" or 1/4" ball end mill and drill just half way through the metal then press off as normal. The gas block usally has 1 pin to hold the forend, that needs to come out.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:33 AM

I believe saiga barrels need to be turned down in order for the ak104/5 gb/fsb combo to be used...
Old 07-02-2010, 1:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova View Post
I believe saiga barrels need to be turned down in order for the ak104/5 gb/fsb combo to be used...
Some do some don't, won't know untill you measure everything up.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 07-02-2010, 1:49 PM

^Interesting...every saiga barrel ive measured with digi calipers was too "thick"
Old 07-07-2010, 9:29 AM

Ok so I just got back from vacation and have some stuff to add to this. Well my rifle is infact dimpled at the gas block and fsb. It is an early 09, strangely built on my birthday of all things. Anyways my issue is that I do not have the proper tools or experience to do this properly. And I do not do enough work like this to justify the expense of buying the tools to do it myself. So is there anyone located in the bay area who can accomplish what I need for a reasonable price?
Old 07-08-2010, 11:48 PM

You need to find a build party near you.

Try contacting zmefly. He's the AK guru in your area.

BTW I've been looking to do the same to my Saiga .308
Please update if you are successful.
Old 07-09-2010, 8:39 AM

Thanks. I am just a little frustrated because no one can really give me a clear cut answer. I mean it is cool if I had the knowledge or tools to do so but since this is a one time ordeal I just need to get it done. Honestly I am not even adverse to paying to have it done. My major problem is that my work has me working all sorta of strange hours especially during the summer. So attending a build party may not work for me. I guess I am on my own at this point.