Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-30-2010, 10:08 AM
davy davy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 338
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default How much weight can one save by removing the front sight?

I have a front iron sight on a F-Marked base on my bcm upper. I'm thinking of all the ways I can to slim down the rifle. Does anybody pay enough attention to their rifles as to notice how much weight the rifle can loose by replacing the front sight and base with some kind of low profile, low weight gas block? Would the weight saving be worth the effort? My rifle weighed in at 7.6 pounds WITHOUT a magazine inserted. I need to put it on a diet.

That's without ANY accessories, only the optics (acog + mini red dot on top).
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-30-2010, 10:09 AM
tomd1584's Avatar
tomd1584 tomd1584 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SFV
Posts: 5,849
iTrader: 51 / 100%
Default

This should be helpful: AR parts weight chart
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-30-2010, 10:24 AM
davy davy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 338
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd1584 View Post
Wow, that's helpful. I wonder who went through the trouble of weighing all the different parts from the manufacturers to complete the picture. Thanks Tom.

LaRue's low profile gas block is by far the lightest in the group at only 1.5 ounces. But the chart didn't show how much the a front iron sight with the F-Marked base weighs. I still need that number to figure out how many ounces I can save by replacing it with LaRue's gas block.

It's really a matter cost vs. savings. I have to decide if the weight saving is worth paying Riflegear to replace the front sight with the gas block, as I don't have the tools to do it myself.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-30-2010, 10:34 AM
davy davy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 338
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Does anybody have any suggestions on slimming down my rifle? It's coming in at 7.6 pounds without a mag, which is not heavy, but I feel cheated because I don't have ANY accessories mounted on it. I don't mind having the weight, but I'm not getting anything in return from it because I didn't mount anything on it.

Here's the spec on it:

BCM BFH 16' midlength upper
Mega lower
Magpul MIAD grip & trigger guard
Magpul MOE stock
Some generic buffer without the "H" marking
BCM gunfighter charging handle
Daniel Defense Omega rail 9
ACOG + mini red dot

= 7.6 pounds

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-30-2010, 10:40 AM
tomd1584's Avatar
tomd1584 tomd1584 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SFV
Posts: 5,849
iTrader: 51 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
Wow, that's helpful. I wonder who went through the trouble of weighing all the different parts from the manufacturers to complete the picture. Thanks Tom.

LaRue's low profile gas block is by far the lightest in the group at only 1.5 ounces. But the chart didn't show how much the a front iron sight with the F-Marked base weighs. I still need that number to figure out how many ounces I can save by replacing it with LaRue's gas block.

It's really a matter cost vs. savings. I have to decide if the weight saving is worth paying Riflegear to replace the front sight with the gas block, as I don't have the tools to do it myself.

Look at line #67, looks to be 5.2 oz.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-30-2010, 10:44 AM
tomd1584's Avatar
tomd1584 tomd1584 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SFV
Posts: 5,849
iTrader: 51 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
Does anybody have any suggestions on slimming down my rifle? It's coming in at 7.6 pounds without a mag, which is not heavy, but I feel cheated because I don't have ANY accessories mounted on it. I don't mind having the weight, but I'm not getting anything in return from it because I didn't mount anything on it.

Here's the spec on it:

BCM BFH 16' midlength upper
Mega lower
Magpul MIAD grip & trigger guard
Magpul MOE stock
Some generic buffer without the "H" marking
BCM gunfighter charging handle
Daniel Defense Omega rail 9
ACOG + mini red dot

= 7.6 pounds

Thats really not too bad. Only thing would be to swap the ACOG/mini dot combo for a Aimpoint Micro. depending on what combo you have (and mount), you might save as much as +/- half pound.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-30-2010, 11:10 AM
yasushi yasushi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South O.C.
Posts: 572
iTrader: 123 / 100%
Default

I had a same issue with my middy built so I swapped out the barrel with a pencil barrel and replaced whe FF aluminum hand guard with standard plastic. It wasn't a huge difference in weight but it was easier to handle since the gun was no longer nose heavy. So to go further I replaced the FSB with the cut down base and took the RRA tactical comp and replaced it with a Voltor birdcage. I'm sure you can get even lighter by going with 14.5" barrel with pinned light weight hider.

With all the metal in the AR, other than barrel and other basic parts like FSB and lighter furniture I don't think there's much weight you can take off unless you start swapping them with polymer/plastic parts.

But the lightest build I had was a Cavalry MKII which is a polymer/aluminum frame lower attached to the BM Carbon 22 upper and the total package was bit shy of 4 1/2 pounds loaded. But then it was only .22
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-30-2010, 11:40 AM
davy davy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 338
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd1584 View Post
Thats really not too bad. Only thing would be to swap the ACOG/mini dot combo for a Aimpoint Micro. depending on what combo you have (and mount), you might save as much as +/- half pound.
So 5.2 - 1.5 = a saving of 3.7 ounces

I thought about replacing the ACOG with just a red dot, maybe primary's M3. But the magnification on the scope is very convenient, not only for shooting, but just looking around as well.

I think I can save 7 ounces by replacing the ACOG with a real aimpoint M3, plus the 3.7 = 10 ounces or so.

Not worth the trouble?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-30-2010, 11:42 AM
davy davy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 338
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasushi View Post
I had a same issue with my middy built so I swapped out the barrel with a pencil barrel and replaced whe FF aluminum hand guard with standard plastic. It wasn't a huge difference in weight but it was easier to handle since the gun was no longer nose heavy. So to go further I replaced the FSB with the cut down base and took the RRA tactical comp and replaced it with a Voltor birdcage. I'm sure you can get even lighter by going with 14.5" barrel with pinned light weight hider.

With all the metal in the AR, other than barrel and other basic parts like FSB and lighter furniture I don't think there's much weight you can take off unless you start swapping them with polymer/plastic parts.

But the lightest build I had was a Cavalry MKII which is a polymer/aluminum frame lower attached to the BM Carbon 22 upper and the total package was bit shy of 4 1/2 pounds loaded. But then it was only .22
I considered those polymer lowers, but I don't want to loose the durability factor so I didn't pursue them. Maybe replace the barrel, but that's $ right there as I can't do it myself.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-30-2010, 12:00 PM
tomd1584's Avatar
tomd1584 tomd1584 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SFV
Posts: 5,849
iTrader: 51 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
So 5.2 - 1.5 = a saving of 3.7 ounces

I thought about replacing the ACOG with just a red dot, maybe primary's M3. But the magnification on the scope is very convenient, not only for shooting, but just looking around as well.

I think I can save 7 ounces by replacing the ACOG with a real aimpoint M3, plus the 3.7 = 10 ounces or so.

Not worth the trouble?
Or go with a H-1, and save atleast another 4.8 oz between the two (depending on which mount you would go with for the M3)

Aimpoint models comparison chart
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-30-2010, 2:13 PM
davy davy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 338
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd1584 View Post
Or go with a H-1, and save atleast another 4.8 oz between the two (depending on which mount you would go with for the M3)

Aimpoint models comparison chart
I would like to, but I have never used either the H1 or a ML2/ML3. All that weight-saving on the H1 must come at a sacrifice? Does the sight picture suffer on the H1 in comparison to the full size optics like ML2/ML3?

Anybody tried both? If the H1 doesn't give anything up in sight picture/usability, then I may go with the H1. Thanks Tom.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-30-2010, 2:45 PM
tomd1584's Avatar
tomd1584 tomd1584 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SFV
Posts: 5,849
iTrader: 51 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
I would like to, but I have never used either the H1 or a ML2/ML3. All that weight-saving on the H1 must come at a sacrifice? Does the sight picture suffer on the H1 in comparison to the full size optics like ML2/ML3?

Anybody tried both? If the H1 doesn't give anything up in sight picture/usability, then I may go with the H1. Thanks Tom.

I personally like the smaller tube, since you shoot both eyes open with a red dot anyways. Less of the housing to obstruct the view.

It does make it a little difficult when shooting in certain positions, just have to get a good cheekweld.

I'll take that tradeoff. If you're in LA, i'd be willing to meet up one day and you can try my H-1.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-30-2010, 3:16 PM
pacrimguru's Avatar
pacrimguru pacrimguru is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,470
iTrader: 170 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
I would like to, but I have never used either the H1 or a ML2/ML3. All that weight-saving on the H1 must come at a sacrifice? Does the sight picture suffer on the H1 in comparison to the full size optics like ML2/ML3?

Anybody tried both? If the H1 doesn't give anything up in sight picture/usability, then I may go with the H1. Thanks Tom.
the H-1/T-1 series is much better. lighter weight with nothing else sacrificed.

your rifle as it is now weighs in at 7.6 lbs with an ACOG and Red Dot on it? that's pretty light already. if that's too heavy for you, i'd say, work out your arms.
__________________
AR Profiles: 1 | 2 | Past AR's: 1 | 2
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-30-2010, 3:19 PM
davy davy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 338
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacrimguru View Post
the H-1/T-1 series is much better. lighter weight with nothing else sacrificed.

your rifle as it is now weighs in at 7.6 lbs with an ACOG and Red Dot on it? that's pretty light already. if that's too heavy for you, i'd say, work out your arms.
I just feel a little robbed reading about other guys' sub 7 lb. AR with no accessories. How do they do it with a regular lower?

I haven't even added lights or vertical grip on it yet, and it's at 7.6 without magazine. If I put everything I want on it, it'll be in double digits territory.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-30-2010, 3:23 PM
shark92651's Avatar
shark92651 shark92651 is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 5,361
iTrader: 30 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
I just feel a little robbed reading about other guys' sub 7 lb. AR with no accessories. How do they do it with a regular lower?

I haven't even added lights or vertical grip on it yet, and it's at 7.6 without magazine. If I put everything I want on it, it'll be in double digits territory.
Lightweight barrel.
__________________

www.riflegear.com
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-30-2010, 3:51 PM
Josh3239's Avatar
Josh3239 Josh3239 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ventura County
Posts: 8,784
iTrader: 53 / 100%
Default

You could loose 3-4 ounces by switching the DD handguard to a TRX Extreme. Do you really use the rail space? That is why I switched, didn't use the rail space and wanted a lighter rifle.

I'd agree that if you want to loose some more weight an ACOG + reddot is too much. Those micro Aimpoint things are supposed to be great!

What muzzle device? Also, you could look into a lighter barrel or if it would weight less to chop it down and permanently attach a muzzle device.
__________________
Proud NRA Life Member As Of 2016


"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism, but under the name of liberalism they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program until one day America will be a socialist nation without ever knowing how it happened." Norman Thomas, American socialist
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-30-2010, 5:39 PM
railroader railroader is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: az and so cal
Posts: 2,862
iTrader: 64 / 100%
Default

What profile is your barrel? The reason I ask is you could send your upper to Adco and they could turn your barrel down under the hand guards which would save some weight. http://www.adcofirearms.com/ Mark
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-30-2010, 6:04 PM
killshot44's Avatar
killshot44 killshot44 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 3,898
iTrader: 28 / 97%
Default

Hmmm, must be the Lower that is the source of your weight. My 16" M4 only goes 6.25lbs with ACOG, unloaded....
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-30-2010, 6:06 PM
pyromensch's Avatar
pyromensch pyromensch is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: sacratomato
Posts: 6,841
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

just a "light" question. are you going on the space shuttle, where a couple of ounces might mean disaster?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-30-2010, 9:08 PM
Josh3239's Avatar
Josh3239 Josh3239 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ventura County
Posts: 8,784
iTrader: 53 / 100%
Default

What is wrong with the wanting to lighten your rifle? I switched from a MI 10'' FF handguard to a 11'' VTAC Extreme, even though the difference was just a few ounces it was a great decision and I can feel the difference. My rifle is much easier to hold and my arms don't fatigue as quickly. These rifles were made to be lightweight, that was one of the reasons why their were so successful, putting a bunch of junk on it that makes it weight the same as an LMG is crazy.
__________________
Proud NRA Life Member As Of 2016


"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism, but under the name of liberalism they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program until one day America will be a socialist nation without ever knowing how it happened." Norman Thomas, American socialist
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-30-2010, 9:22 PM
bjl333's Avatar
bjl333 bjl333 is offline
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 7,000
iTrader: 42 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
Does anybody have any suggestions on slimming down my rifle? It's coming in at 7.6 pounds without a mag, which is not heavy, but I feel cheated because I don't have ANY accessories mounted on it. I don't mind having the weight, but I'm not getting anything in return from it because I didn't mount anything on it.

Here's the spec on it:

BCM BFH 16' midlength upper
Mega lower
Magpul MIAD grip & trigger guard
Magpul MOE stock
Some generic buffer without the "H" marking
BCM gunfighter charging handle
Daniel Defense Omega rail 9
ACOG + mini red dot

= 7.6 pounds




Maybe trimming the barrel to light weight profile.
DD Omega to Carbonfiber freeflow w/ some polymar rails.
Not a whole lot more to safe unless you get rid of the ACOG + red dot for a Magpul Mbus set ... Just a thought !!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:33 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.