Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Banned

Default Open Carry in Times Magazine

Check this out.

http://www.time.com/time/photogaller...000412,00.html
Old 06-29-2010, 12:57 PM

That seemed amazingly evenhanded. So much so that I'm wondering what planet I was beamed to while sleeping last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullnshoot25 View Post
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardm View Post
That seemed amazingly evenhanded. So much so that I'm wondering what planet I was beamed to while sleeping last night.

I know, right?

Call me crazy, but I think this is a pretty good PR campaign. Women, minorities and people with generally good taste in guns.

BTW, NURSES= GOOD FRIENDS of guns. Seriously.
Old 06-29-2010, 1:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Wow...

That's

kinda

cool.

I'm surprised on the (good) coverage.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 06-29-2010, 1:10 PM
Banned

Anyone get the times magazine? This is some EPIC ****!
Old 06-29-2010, 1:10 PM

Quote:
"I had to load my gun one time," says Alaine, describing a moment when she feared for her safety, "and I was shaking. I don't know if I could have used it."
:facepalm

Get training, or leave the gun at home.
Old 06-29-2010, 1:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
My wife would say otherwise.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 06-29-2010, 1:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
My wife would say otherwise.
Maybe it is just the northern ones, because the southern ones here seem to be pretty on it...
Old 06-29-2010, 1:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioVI View Post

I'm sure she didn't mean "I don't know how to use it," I'm sure she meant "I'm not sure if I have it in me to witness the back of someone's head painting the wall behind them."

Using a gun for self defense is not an easy decision and I personally feel most people have no idea what it's going to be like the day they have to draw on someone and be a millimeter from pulling the trigger. At first I thought, "Oh sure, I could kill someone granted they were trying to kill or harm myself or my girlfriend. Then I would go light a cigarette and laugh about it until the cops showed up to pick up the body." I thought that until the day I actually had to draw on someone trying to enter my home. I have gone over the situation over and over again in my head to figure out, if I needed to, if I could have pulled the trigger. I do believe that I could have, but I'll tell you what, it left a real nasty taste in my mouth that day.

Just my .02

BTW, this is a GREAT article!

CLICK HERE for a San Diego County WIN!

CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training
Old 06-29-2010, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member

I especially like this:
Quote:
...because of the Supreme Court ruling, which suggests that the Second Amendment assertion of the right to bear arms supersedes local law, it seems unlikely that the state will be able to impose restrictions on the current open-carry law.
But I think their interpretation is a bit of a stretch.
Old 06-29-2010, 1:29 PM
CGSSA Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychGuy274 View Post
I'm sure she didn't mean "I don't know how to use it," I'm sure she meant "I'm not sure if I have it in me to witness the back of someone's head painting the wall behind them."

Using a gun for self defense is not an easy decision and I personally feel most people have no idea what it's going to be like the day they have to draw on someone and be a millimeter from pulling the trigger. At first I thought, "Oh sure, I could kill someone granted they were trying to kill or harm myself or my girlfriend. Then I would go light a cigarette and laugh about it until the cops showed up to pick up the body." I thought that until the day I actually had to draw on someone trying to enter my home. I have gone over the situation over and over again in my head to figure out, if I needed to, if I could have pulled the trigger. I do believe that I could have, but I'll tell you what, it left a real nasty taste in my mouth that day.

Just my .02

I had to draw on someone breaking into my grandmother's house, I don't know, maybe being ex-military is different, but I have zero doubt that if he hadn't retreated, I would not have hesitated and my hands weren't shaking at all.

I'm not trying to be all bravado and what not, but I think there has to be a hardwired mentality of "I will not hesitate to kill to protect myself and my loved ones". I believe that such a person who isn't beyond 100% certain they could kill to defend themselves or loved ones should not own a firearm for the purpose of self defense.

"A “right” entitles an individual to do something, and is not dependent on the graces of the government." - Alan Gura Ezell v. Chicago

"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." - Justice Louis Brandeis Dissenting, Olmstead v. United States
Old 06-29-2010, 1:30 PM
Veteran Member

Kinda makes me wanna strap on the XD and go for a walk lol
Old 06-29-2010, 1:32 PM
Veteran Member

Wow.....pretty fair!
Old 06-29-2010, 1:34 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
"I had to load my gun one time," says Alaine, describing a moment when she feared for her safety, "and I was shaking. I don't know if I could have used it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioVI View Post

I know Alaine very well, and I know a lot of her history. If she had to, she would. I think she was more thinking of the consequences and not a lack of will.

"A “right” entitles an individual to do something, and is not dependent on the graces of the government." - Alan Gura Ezell v. Chicago

"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." - Justice Louis Brandeis Dissenting, Olmstead v. United States
Old 06-29-2010, 1:39 PM

Thank you Pull.. i watched all of your videos on Youtube with your brother..... Great job...
Old 06-29-2010, 1:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Maybe it is just the northern ones, because the southern ones here seem to be pretty on it...
She's pretty tied into nursing and nurse leadership statewide; her experience over the years has been that nurses (and related interest/labor organizations) are generally hostile to guns. I'm sure that there are a great number of nurses, as in all parts of our culture, who simply lack exposure and context but would enjoy shooting sports or move away from anti-gun positions given the right conditions (she being one who now enjoys the sport, and also gun rights advocacy but previously did not).

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 06-29-2010, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc70 View Post
I had to draw on someone breaking into my grandmother's house, I don't know, maybe being ex-military is different, but I have zero doubt that if he hadn't retreated, I would not have hesitated and my hands weren't shaking at all.

I'm not trying to be all bravado and what not, but I think there has to be a hardwired mentality of "I will not hesitate to kill to protect myself and my loved ones". I believe that such a person who isn't beyond 100% certain they could kill to defend themselves or loved ones should not own a firearm for the purpose of self defense.

+1

Maybe us ex-mil guys are different though.

Part of the training and preparation for a person to carry a gun should be running scenarios through your head. What circumstances, and at what point, should you be using force. Have a mental "line in the sand" if you will, if they cross that line, there should be no hesitation in the manner of force that you use.

If a person hasn't thought that part out, maybe they aren't ready to carry a deadly weapon just yet.
Old 06-29-2010, 1:53 PM
Calguns Addict

It's a new world out there now!
Old 06-29-2010, 2:12 PM

I love the time magazine piece. Great pictures.

Old 06-29-2010, 2:18 PM

Wow! Gun-carrying everyday people that Time readers can identify with?

We must be winning the war, folks...
Old 06-29-2010, 2:24 PM

Default But...?

Did I miss the "blood in the streets" or "gun nut" or "paranoia" or "what about the children" references? Did guns really just get an almost positive portrayal in the MSM?

Holy cow, Batman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Sacramento would declare martial law sooner than they'd meet with Gandhi, Gautama Budda, and Jesus Christ if the three were packing heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Even people not from San Francisco can appreciate a good public spanking like this.
WANTED: G19. New or near new condition in Sacramento area.
Old 06-29-2010, 2:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
She's pretty tied into nursing and nurse leadership statewide; her experience over the years has been that nurses (and related interest/labor organizations) are generally hostile to guns.
This. Although my aunt (an RN) now owns a Smith+Wesson. Her 3 daughters however are all vehemently anti-gun and believe all the "you'll only shoot your family" lies. Family get-togethers are frequently interesting, as there's always the counterpoint of, "I've now had a loaded gun lying around my house for 9 years, and haven't shot anyone."

Overall, this is VERY good coverage. I'm glad they didn't cover any of us in Socal - too many men, too many white people. We'll only gain acceptance if it almost looks like white males are disinterested in it and/or actively oppose it.
Old 06-29-2010, 2:38 PM
Calguns Addict

If you go to google (left leaning) and type in GUN OWNER and look at the images they are all very PRO!
Old 06-29-2010, 3:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetalJacket View Post
We must be winning the war, folks...
We might be slightly ahead in the battle, but we've just begun the war IMHO.

As far as I'm concerned McDonald was the "shot heard 'round the world."

CLICK HERE for a San Diego County WIN!

CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training
Old 06-29-2010, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc70 View Post
I know Alaine very well, and I know a lot of her history. If she had to, she would. I think she was more thinking of the consequences and not a lack of will.
I am the women in the picture on the left... NOT ALAINE or what ever she is calling herself today. We came from all over the bay area for this girls day. I was just the unlucky one that sat next to her that day. I will be very clear. Anyone who wears a gun, owns a gun should be ready and willing to use it. It is not hip jewelry! I carry my gun daily. I am ready and willing to use it to protect life. Open carries or Concealed carries should think of the consequences BEFORE strapping on your gun. She does not represent the hundreds of Oc'rs I know.

Last edited by Kestryll; 07-05-2010 at 8:23 PM..
Old 06-29-2010, 3:56 PM

Quote:
She's pretty tied into nursing and nurse leadership statewide; her experience over the years has been that nurses (and related interest/labor organizations) are generally hostile to guns. I'm sure that there are a great number of nurses, as in all parts of our culture, who simply lack exposure and context but would enjoy shooting sports or move away from anti-gun positions given the right conditions (she being one who now enjoys the sport, and also gun rights advocacy but previously did not).
Remember 10-15 years ago where a gunman killed few doctors and nurses at USC County Hospital. It is good she is packed...
Old 06-29-2010, 4:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Remember 10-15 years ago where a gunman killed few doctors and nurses at USC County Hospital. It is good she is packed...
Indeed; patients, coworkers, the public (on-site storage of narcotics, anyone?)... all can pose real risks.

Old 06-29-2010, 4:10 PM

So this McDonald ruling will take away all that commotion caused by open carry and the attempt to ban? I thought it was already enacted and UOC was a no-no?
Old 06-29-2010, 4:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8_shooter View Post
I am the women in the picture on the left... NOT ALAINE or what ever she is calling herself today. We came from all over the bay area for this girls day. I was just the unlucky one that sat next to her that day. I will be very clear. Anyone who wears a gun, owns a gun should be ready and willing to use it. It is not hip jewelry! I carry my gun daily. I am ready and willing to use it to protect life. Open carries or Concealed carries should think of the consequences BEFORE strapping on your gun. She does not represent the hundreds of Oc'rs I know.
She may have been misquoted. I think just asking her would clear some things up. It wouldn't be the first time things have gotten mixed in translation.

Last edited by Kestryll; 07-05-2010 at 8:27 PM..
Old 06-29-2010, 4:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsleepyxx View Post
So this McDonald ruling will take away all that commotion caused by open carry and the attempt to ban? I thought it was already enacted and UOC was a no-no?
No on both counts. They will still try. They haven't done it yet
Old 06-29-2010, 4:31 PM

Good article shows the diffrent kind of people who carry and they did it in a very fair way
Old 06-29-2010, 4:41 PM

Quote:
I know, right?

Call me crazy, but I think this is a pretty good PR campaign. Women, minorities and people with generally good taste in guns.

Thanks hun, I am THE nurse.
My patient, Jeanie Starr, for more see TSN's coverage of Girl's day.

The photographer followed me for a day in the field.
As for 'Girls Day" at the spa, the quoted OC'r is/was a noob.

TSN came out and taped:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTBgW6AToTk
Thank you James ;-)
Old 06-29-2010, 5:38 PM

Default Trigger Happy Yahoo, Answer NO NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychGuy274 View Post

Just my .02

Thanks, that is what I meant. He asked if I was in a threatening situation would I shoot. I responded it was not that easy. I don't know if I could shoot, it would depend on many factors. Here is my response to the same on facebook. I regret I am not the trigger happy yahoo expected of open carry.

From Facebook:
"I would use the gun if forced to but would never take the idea of using a gun lightly. I would never use a gun unless I knew for sure I HAD to. I don't think any of us can be 100% sure we would just up and use a gun until that moment was the choice. I know how to use a gun and would use if when needed for protection. His question left a lot open." ... See MoreIf you were confronted in a situation that was threatening would you use your gun." My answer that I am not sure if I would or could use the gun because there are a lot of factors that come into play and it is not that simple. There is no clear answer to the question, is there? I can give a thousand scenerios and maybe a few would be yes I would use the gun. If I cannot safely get out of the situation without use of a firearm YES I would use a gun, If I can safely get out of the situation without it no I would not use my gun. If people of open carry feel differently then no I do not represent you only myself. I will always avoid using a gun unless forced to defend myself with lethal force. Lethal force is always a last choice for me.

Why not get back to the gun slinging yahoos conversation by saying I would always use my gun? I am not trigger happy and the answer is never simple. I hope to never shoot a single person in my life. Not an easy choice or answer. If it is a choice between me and someone else then the choice is easy. If I can point and get the person to back down no I would not shoot. If I have to disarm someone else from a loaded gun pointed at me I would use that gun against them or knife or any other weapon. This why I am going through the training I am to avoid and disarm so I have more defense choices beyond just a gun. I will not be a victim by choice or and easy victim and niether will my kids.

I will use the fastest method of avoidance and defense which may not be the most lethal but will defend myself and my children. That is the easiest answer I can ever provide. I will answer all others at that moment."
Old 06-29-2010, 6:20 PM
Veteran Member

The Blackhawk SERPA is really popular, did you notice that in 6/7 pictures the OCers were using a SERPA holster.
Old 06-29-2010, 8:07 PM

Probably because Blackhawk is an awesome company. I recently got a serpa hoslter with my xd through PPT but it was a lefty. I emailed Blackhawk and they are letting me exchange it for a RH free of charge!
Old 06-29-2010, 8:22 PM

Very nice to see such a positive light on the subject by a large and well known publication.

Me and my boys went to the donuts store and the man in front of us was open carry. He was with his young teen kids. I was very excited and going to say something...then he turned and I saw his badge on the other side of his belt.
Old 06-29-2010, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Huh? My wife will not even touch my gun let alone use it.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python2 View Post
Huh? My wife will not even touch my gun let alone use it.
Then I offer to take your wife to the range.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Most RN's I know, myself included, love guns. Which nurses are you folks talking to?

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardm View Post
I just had the same thoughts.

Great pictures too btw