Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 04-06-2006, 8:58 PM

Default Conventional Manual Combo or Electrical Keypad Lock?

Is there any downside to getting one of electrical keypad safes? Or should I just stick with the normal manual dial combo type safes?
Old 04-06-2006, 8:59 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by insinuasian
Is there any downside to getting one of electrical keypad safes? Or should I just stick with the normal manual dial combo type safes?
The only downside is if you let the batteries go low and the lock doesn't click. The manual dials are a very bad choice if you're keeping your "go-to" gun in a safe. The electronics aren't a perfect option, but they're a lot better than manual for ready access.

I keep a handgun under my pillow, and my shotgun and rifles in an electronic safe.
Old 04-06-2006, 9:18 PM

So then I would assume that these electrical locks BEEP or something when the battery life is getting low? What type, and how long do these batteries last?
Old 04-06-2006, 10:48 PM

I saw Browning's exhibition booth at this last Shotshow. And this are two of their safes that caught my attention:
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...59C&value=004F
You need a remote control to access the safe. Pretty neat IMO.

This is the other one:
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...59B&value=004F
I don't like electronic safe systems but I will be willing to try this one. The only downside of Browning's safes is that they are not exactly cheap.

Last edited by Pablo; 04-06-2006 at 10:50 PM..
Old 04-07-2006, 1:47 AM

I have a Sentry electronic lock.
It takes 8 AA batteries.
I use NiMh rechargeables (1800-220mAh) and get 4-6 months out of them at a time.
When they do go totally dead, you can lift the panel and use a key.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo
This is the other one:
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...59B&value=004F
I don't like electronic safe systems but I will be willing to try this one. The only downside of Browning's safes is that they are not exactly cheap.
I've been thinking about replacing my standard S&G electronic lock with that one on my Browning Medallion Safe.
Old 04-07-2006, 2:23 PM
Veteran Member

Another downside of some electronic locks is that they lock you out after a certain number of attempts. The Gunvault locks do this after 3 attempts.

This can be a pretty big problem if you don't practice fumble recovery a lot. Here's the scenario that got me started on this.

- Wake up at 2 am, go to work the buttons on the Gunvault, and screw up the combo due to sleepy confusion. Usually, I'd miss a button push, as I've got the beeps turned off on mine.

- I'd start the next combo try without clearing the previous fumble, so it would fail too. This would leave me with one more try and an increasing sense of panic, which doesn't bode well.

What I do now is practice clearing a bad combo when I'm half asleep. To do this on the GV, you keep pressing the buttons after a fail until the red light flashes, then you can key in the combo again. I always open it on the second try now, and fumble recovery is second nature after a few hundred practices.

I also keep the key close at hand, but well hidden, in case of the other problems that can get you - electronics failure, dead battery, broken parts, whatever. This is another thing to practice - grabbing the hidden key and opening it up at 2 am.

I consider bedside safe practice just as critical as practicing with the gun itself. Strong hand, weak hand, various failures, bad angles, etc.

max
Old 04-07-2006, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammaton76
I keep a handgun under my pillow....
hope you dont have a bad dream
Old 04-07-2006, 4:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto
hope you dont have a bad dream
Well, when most folks say they have a handgun under their pillow, they're talking about a handgun with a loaded chamber. When I say I have a handgun under my pillow, I mean that I have a handgun with an empty chamber and loaded magazine, which I check on a regular basis (every few days, I know, should be every night before I go to bed) to make SURE the chamber is empty. It's really hard to accidentally slip and rack the slide on a 45, inserting a round into the chamber, in your sleep, NOT get the sheet caught in it and prevent the slide from closing, and lastly, after all that, manage to somehow pull the trigger while sleeping.

It's not to say it's impossible, simply that the chances of all that happening are very remote. The chances of someone choosing to break into my dwelling are considerably higher.
Old 04-07-2006, 9:23 PM

I just keep my sig 239 and 3 extra mags in a cheap little DAC Sportsafe next to my bed. I only have a three button combo, and I can access it as I'm waking up (working in EMS has taught me how to function pretty well right out of a deep sleep). I keep my Surefire M4 right on top of the safe, so I can grab it right after I grab the gun and swing out of bed.

I keep one in the chamber with a full mag and the gun "de-cocked"
Old 04-08-2006, 11:13 PM

Default Electronic keypads and EMP (Electromagnetic pulse)

An electromagnetic pulse caused by an atomic explosion/weapon, Solar Flare or Alien invasion could knock out the electronics..Cutting you off from your guns when you need them the most...
Old 04-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas_223
An electromagnetic pulse caused by an atomic explosion/weapon, Solar Flare or Alien invasion could knock out the electronics..Cutting you off from your guns when you need them the most...
The only thing an EMP could do to my safe, is DELAY my access to my firearms by about one minute. My safe, and I believe more or less all electronic safes, have a key as a backup unlock method - just lift the keypad, insert the key, and twist.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammaton76
The only thing an EMP could do to my safe, is DELAY my access to my firearms by about one minute. My safe, and I believe more or less all electronic safes, have a key as a backup unlock method - just lift the keypad, insert the key, and twist.
My cannon does not have a key backup. Would the kep backup make the safe more easy to crack? I mean, key locks are more easily picked I thought.

I am not worried about an EMP though. Maybe I should be, but I'm not. I like the convience of an electronic safe. As mentioned, it is quicker to get into, it uses ATM technology, there is a delay of five minutes (at least for mine) after 5 failed attempts, I can choose a combination that is more easy for me to remember, and I can change the combination at any time (like Christmas when I hide my boyfriend's gift in there).

The electronic ones may be less "safe" than the manual one but after weighing the pros and cons, the electronic one is what I went with.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, virtually all key locks you'll find on a bedside safe are easier to pick than electronic locks. It takes practice to do it quickly, though, and not many people are any good at it.

The bigger risk with a bedside safe is that someone will just carry the safe off or pry it open. Unless it's bolted to something really solid, with big honking hardware, a pry bar will either tear it loose or pry it open pretty durn quickly.

My bedside safe is to provide fast access and keep the gun out of the hands of my kids' friends and casual burglars. For high security, there's the big safe.

Regardless, it's important to plan for what would happen if your bedside safe jammed. Backup keys, backup guns in less accessible, well hidden locations, whatever floats your boat.

max
Old 04-09-2006, 5:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnote
My cannon does not have a key backup. Would the kep backup make the safe more easy to crack? I mean, key locks are more easily picked I thought.
Really? Interesting, I thought they all had some kind of backup. But yes, it would provide a second means for the safe to be unlocked, therefore it'd be inherently less secure since there are twice the number of methods to break into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnote
I am not worried about an EMP though. Maybe I should be, but I'm not. I like the convience of an electronic safe.
*grin* I think most of the folks who get worried about EMP are a bit over-enthusiastic. After all, if EMP hits, it's not like you won't be likely to have the time to cut into it with an acetylene torch, which doesn't need power in the first place.