Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:58 PM

Question Plotting an AR pistol build but have some worries

I was recently looking at PS90s and with the cost of them, decided that the AR57 was a much more viable idea as a college student that also has to pay for expensive camera and editing equipment.

Since I plan to be spending some time in California off and on due to working with certain models (cheaper to go to them than to pay for their travel and lodging), I want to be able to bring my weapons as well, especially since I like working with girls+guns and I'm already carrying thousands of dollars in precision optics and electronics. I have cali mags for my glock and my .458S rifle is cali legal right now (except I'm not sure about the bird cage on it) but I wasn't sure about this pistol build:

My plan is to use an 11" AR57 upper, an OLL receiver (most likely Noveske), and a hammerhead stock adapter to give it a rifle grip to be more in line with a PDW like the PS90's stock. BUT with the HSA, will the build be negated as a pistol? Does a pistol build have to have a pistol grip?

Also, I'm presuming the carbide tipped CMMG Striker Vortex I want to use is most likely verbotten in california?

If I end up SBR'ing this build because the HSA negates it as a pistol build and it's registered to an Oregon trust, will I be able to bring it into California should I end up moving there or establishing a residence? Can I establish a California trust to transfer weapons between or are there multi-state trusts?

If that's TL;DR, then:
11" ar57 upper+OLL receiver+Hammerhead Stock Adapter+CMMG Striker Vortex+10r FN mags=legal weapon to bring in from Oregon?
Old 06-27-2010, 5:37 AM

i thought you cant get striped pistol lowers
Old 06-27-2010, 5:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Here in California, you cannot build an AR pistol off a virgin OLL receiver. You either have to:
1. Be LEO
2. Have a completed, BB setup shipped to your FFL and meet roster exempt status
3. Buy one in a PPT that already has been DROS'd as a pistol
Old 06-27-2010, 7:32 AM
Veteran Member

guys, hes in oregon
Old 06-27-2010, 6:10 PM

With that particular upper you will need to install a Raddlock or some other type of maglock when in CA.

AR Pistols all need to have a maglock because the magazines are not housed within the pistol grip. The AR57 is unique in this case as the magazines attach to the upper and not the lower so your upper would need the magazine locked in.

Your idea sounds interesting to say the least, I would love to see it when it gets done.

Also, if you decide to go SBR I'm pretty sure it CANNOT be brought here.

MY AR Profile #1
Old 06-27-2010, 6:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukus View Post
With that particular upper you will need to install a Raddlock or some other type of maglock when in CA.

AR Pistols all need to have a maglock because the magazines are not housed within the pistol grip. The AR57 is unique in this case as the magazines attach to the upper and not the lower so your upper would need the magazine locked in.

Your idea sounds interesting to say the least, I would love to see it when it gets done.

Also, if you decide to go SBR I'm pretty sure it CANNOT be brought here.
Installing a mag won't really work, the AR 57 ejects through the magwell.

This is a very unique and would require a lock of some sort on the upper. I wouldn't do it unless you have bucks for a lawyer JIC. I would post in the legal forum and see what kind of answers you get there.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 06-27-2010, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
This is a very unique and would require a lock of some sort on the upper.
There is a bullet button designed for the ar57, I just didn't add that to the list because I recently came across it and didn't add it to my parts list on google docs.

I may not SBR it. I also debated adding an AFG-2 to it to make it an AOW.

Has anyone hacked off the back of an AFG to make it fit closer to the magwell? I don't like how it chicken winged my arm when I was trying it at the shop.

I also looked at the Fab Defense Mag Well Grip. Anyone know if that makes it an AOW as well?

I'll post in the law area in a few moments.

Last edited by Saakee; 06-27-2010 at 8:45 PM.. Reason: edit, typoed/wrong link
Old 06-27-2010, 8:12 PM
Banned

Almost impossible to get an SBR permit in Cali unless you own an armory company and supply guns to movie studios and the like.

California has its own permitting process and this is the problem - you have to have BOTH the ATF permit and the California permit.

That being said, there is *some* speculation that people moving in from out of state MAY be able to get SBR permits for weapons they already own. Not sure on this however. . .
Old 06-27-2010, 10:46 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saakee View Post
There is a bullet button designed for the ar57, I just didn't add that to the list because I recently came across it and didn't add it to my parts list on google docs.

I may not SBR it. I also debated adding an AFG-2 to it to make it an AOW.

Has anyone hacked off the back of an AFG to make it fit closer to the magwell? I don't like how it chicken winged my arm when I was trying it at the shop.

I also looked at the Fab Defense Mag Well Grip. Anyone know if that makes it an AOW as well?

I'll post in the law area in a few moments.
It will need a magazine lock and 10 round magazines to be CA legal.

The Magpul AFG should be installed away from the magwell as close to the muzzle end as possible.

Proper Magpul AFG install

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).