Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-26-2010, 6:41 AM
Veteran Member

Default as if we didnt know

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3643567.story

Home > News > Chicagoland
City ready to reload with gun law if handgun ban is shot down
Aldermen set to consider new ordinance if high court overturns current law

Gun Control

U.S. Supreme Court

Personal Weapon Control
Richard J. Daley
Chicago City Council
Interior Policy

By John Byrne, Tribune Reporter

6:45 p.m. CDT, June 25, 2010

The Chicago City Council could consider new gun control measures as soon as Wednesday if the U.S. Supreme Court overturns the city's long-standing handgun ban Monday, Mayor Richard Daley said.

Daley, however, declined to provide specifics Friday on how his administration will respond. For months, City Hall has been drawing up plans after the justices heard the case and appeared to indicate they'll rule against Chicago.

"We already have our plans, but we have to wait for the decision just in case they have said something differently in the decision," Daley said when asked if the council will have a proposal to act on at Wednesday's meeting.

Daley has discussed several options if the 1982 handgun ban is no longer in effect. Chicago could require firearm owners to purchase insurance and receive training or maintain a registry of how many guns are in particular homes so that police responding to an address will know what they're up against.

"What do (police) do if you're pointing a gun at somebody? Is it a violation of a law? You have a right to a gun," Daley said at a South Side news conference to announce summer activities to keep kids off the streets.

On Friday, Ald. Edward Burke, 14th, suggested the city might be better off without the ban — if other legislation that allowed law-abiding residents to register handguns took its place.

Under the late Mayor Richard J. Daley, handguns could be registered, and a "huge number" were, Burke said. Then the city ban went into effect, and Burke said that led people who felt safer keeping handguns in their homes to begin flouting the law.
Old 06-26-2010, 7:00 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

This is why SCOTUS rulings need to be well defined rulings. Wording which leaves open interpretation, or is vague, will only assure the need for them to revisit the previous ruling for clarification.
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 06-26-2010, 7:07 AM
Veteran Member

Agree, Patriot . . . .which is why I dont think McDonald is going to do much more than clarify "possess" or "own." This should also settle the debate about whether the antis will keep on post McDonald.
Old 06-26-2010, 7:28 AM
Banned

Well it seems to me that a whole bunch of laws don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of surviving once McDonald has been decided. From what I've read, the handgun roster, the AWB, the .50 cal ban, loaded open carry, concealed carry, and a lot of other things exist because the legislators and courts said that we don't have a fundamental right to own a firearm. So, like a house of cards, I'm waiting to see how much of the house falls once that card is pulled. I suspect that a lot of politicians are going to be very disappointed.
Old 06-26-2010, 7:33 AM
Veteran Member

One hopes, road.
Old 06-26-2010, 7:38 AM
Do you like beer Senator?
CGN Contributor

"...maintain a registry of how many guns are in particular homes so that police responding to an address will know what they're up against."

You gotta love this guy Mr. Mayor, you need to fear what you're "up against" when dealing with the criminals in your city, not the law abiding gun owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I want to be Princess Anastasia today because I feel pretty
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner View Post
Kes is really just an errand boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I am NOT...anything other than a schmuck...
Old 06-26-2010, 8:15 AM

Just FYI, Mayor Daley and his goons ARE the criminals in his city.
Old 06-26-2010, 8:30 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

They are going to do anything and everything they can to create new laws that bypass the ruling. We know SCOTUS is going to leave it open for interpretaion...
Old 06-26-2010, 8:51 AM
Veteran Member

Right, gttur - -- - and the punk-in-chief stands to make at least one more SCOTUS appointment.
Old 06-26-2010, 9:04 AM
Banned

Wednesday? Come on, traitors, you should be ready to infringe and be in contempt of SCOTUS immediately after the ruling...
Old 06-26-2010, 10:03 AM

We will need to take a lot of pre-emptive offensive action after McDonald. If we just sit back on my laurels, we will end up losing ground.

"A retreat by the United States from Vietnam would be a Communist victory, a victory of massive proportions and would lead to World War III"
- Richard Nixon, May 1966:
Old 06-26-2010, 10:17 AM

Gun is the only issue in the city that will keep Daley relevant. Without it, he's nothing but just another insignificant mayor. He's doing everything he can to stay "relevant".