Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-14-2010, 8:05 PM

Default Real Magpul UBR vs China made UBR comparison.

Hey guys,

***Note: if you are using this to cross reference your UBR use this too, there are two versions of UBR now: http://store.magpul.com/downloads/counterfit_ubr.pdf One was made after the clone UBR debacle to easily differentiate. ***

I just purchased a UBR here on calguns, and having a Chinese one here at my house (It's my friends) I thought I'd post a comparison on the Real Magpul vs the Chinese one. I know there is something on Magpul's website in PDF form but first hand experience and other views are always helpful. I haven't seen another comparison, so please excuse me if this is out of line. This is a good way to tell if you have the real thing vs the China close though, if you've ever handled a real Magpul product, you'd be able to tell instantly.

The real one is on the top, the China made is on the bottom

What you get:

The real Magpul UBR comes with the Packaging, Manual, The stock, the receiver extension, Detachable doors, and a QD sling swivel.

The China clone comes with two cheek rests, packaging, the stock, detachable doors, receiver extension, another cylindrical like object with ports in the side (Not shown), a long screw (Not shown), and a QD sling swivel.

*Note The cylindrical like object and long screw has absolutely no purpose for real steel. I believe it is an adapter for Airsoft guns.

Packaging:

I've had the China UBR at my house for a while, so I dont rememer where I have the OEM packaging. The real UBR comes in a nice Magpul cardboard box. The China clone comes in a resealable plastic bag, with another bag enclosed with all the extras.

(I'd show you the outside but the calgunner put my address on it.)

Trademarks:

The china close provides two cheek rest. One of which is lower profile than the standard one, with Colorado spelled wrong. "Coorado" Chingrish anyone?

The other standard cheek rest, provides correct trademarks on the right side. However, on the left side the Chinese copy reads "Magpul Industries Corperation" while the real one reads "Magpul Ind Corp Patented"

Real:

Fake:

Last edited by The Vainguard; 08-08-2010 at 7:45 PM..
Old 06-14-2010, 8:06 PM

The integral doors on the UBR contain trademarks as well. The fake mispelled "UBR" and put "USR" instead. Good going.

Real on top, Fake on bottom

Real:

Fake:

Material, Color & Texture:

Material: The real one's material is the nice Polymer we know, love, and expect from Magpul. On the other hand, the china one is a plastic. I wouldn't say cheap, as it seems they tried, but they didn't try hard enough.

Color: The real one's color is a bit lighter than the fakes, and of course, matches all other FDE that is on the market (For the most part). The fakes, is a deeper FDE, almost like a lightish brown.

Texture: The real one's texture is very nice. The texture is very robust and strong and provides a 'pattern' of sorts which can be seen in the photo below. The fakes, is a smooth finish with a rougher surface than the real.

Real:

Fake:

Last edited by The Vainguard; 06-14-2010 at 8:09 PM..
Old 06-14-2010, 8:07 PM

The small and subtle but apparent fine details:

Nuts, screws, and bolts: The fake UBR's allen screws that bolt the doors to the UBR use a allen screw size of 2.5mm while the real one uses 1/8". The real screws also read "Magpul" on them, while the fake's screws do not have any markings on them.

Real:

Fake:

The back screw that mounts to the included receiver extension on the real UBR is a flathead while the fake uses a 4mm allen.

Stock settings:

The real one features engraved numbers, black. The fake features laser engraved numbers:

Real on the top, Fake on the bottom:

Stock pad:

The clamping arms for the buttpad color is also different. The real ones arms are black and the fakes are the same color as the stock, FDE.

Real:

Last edited by The Vainguard; 06-14-2010 at 8:10 PM..
Old 06-14-2010, 8:07 PM

Fake:

Also notable: The fakes allen screws uses 2.5mm a and the real one uses a 1/8" allen screw. The real and fakes buttpads are indeed interchangeable, however, if you put the real (Applies to the enhanced pad, did not try the standard) buttpad on the fake, it is hard to get to sit flush with the end of the stock.

QD Sling swivels:

The QD sling swivel that comes with the real one is longer than the fake and has a smooth glossy finish while the fake has a matte rougher finish

Fake on top, real on bottom

Retracting and mounting:

The real UBR stock retracts very smoothly, while the fake UBR stock, when you retract it you can feel the locking mechanism go over ever position which is why in the previous picture you saw lots of retracting marks on the bottom.

Mounting on the real one is very simple. You unscrew the receiver extension from the stock, break the UBR stock down into it's two halves, screw the receiver extension into your lower receiver and then you slide the stock on. Once that is done, you take the screw and screw it back in, then viola! it's done.

Mounting the fake requires one more step than the above. You must remove the screws from the cheek rest in order to slide it onto receiver extension.

Weight:

The real UBR is a bit heavier than the China made. I believe it's due to the increased amount of polymer on the real.

I know this was pretty boring to read if you read it all, but yeah. I just wanted this to be informative and detailed as possible.

Last edited by The Vainguard; 06-14-2010 at 8:10 PM..
Old 06-14-2010, 8:14 PM

Very cool, thanks for doing this!!

I have a question that I'm sure has been asked before, but how the hell can they get away with this??!! It's completely illegal!!

"Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James "Chaos" Mattis, USMC
Old 06-14-2010, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Boy View Post

I have a question that I'm sure has been asked before, but how the hell can they get away with this??!! It's completely illegal!!
It is indeed illegal. However, the clone companies are based in China/Hong Kong and are not under US jurisdiction so nothing can be done about it. I'm not sure what the laws are on importing counterfeits.. However, Magpul has their PTS division in Hong Kong, and I've heard they are doing a great job and doing their best to crackdown on companies who are replicating their items.
Old 06-14-2010, 8:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks for the heads up
Old 06-14-2010, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Boy View Post

I think the real question is... how much is the fake one?
Old 06-14-2010, 9:23 PM
Veteran Member

You pretty much covered what magpul says, It states the fake uses everything you stated except MP says the fake is made of substandard plastic. Is it just me, The fake looks larger in the first pic?
Jim
Old 06-14-2010, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telcolineman View Post
You pretty much covered what magpul says, It states the fake uses everything you stated except MP says the fake is made of substandard plastic. Is it just me, The fake looks larger in the first pic?
Jim
It's perspective of the photo. In reality, the real is ever so slightly larger. I think this is due to the amount of polymer present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserM4 View Post
It can be had between $80 - $130 bucks, though I don't condone the fake. I really do recommend the real over the china one, better in every way shape and form.

Last edited by The Vainguard; 06-14-2010 at 9:52 PM..
Old 06-14-2010, 9:50 PM
Veteran Member

Cool, Great info and patent infringemant. Glad it's not our problem
Jim
Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 PM

The fake one appears to be a clone of the Magpul PTS UBR, which is licensed by Magpul and designed for airsoft use only. The Magpul PTS UBR says "Magpul Industries Corporation" like the knockoff, which explains where they got that from. I think it also has an allen screw at the end, laser etched numbers, etc.
In other words, the knockoff is a knockoff of the official knockoff. Keep this far, far away from your real guns..
Old 06-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by series8217 View Post
The fake one appears to be a clone of the Magpul PTS UBR, which is licensed by Magpul and designed for airsoft use only. . . . In other words, the knockoff is a knockoff of the official knockoff. Keep this far, far away from your real guns..
lol, nice catch. That is weak sauce on their part, can't even copy the real thing.

I was aware of the surge of clone items on the market, but I didn't know the UBR was one of them. From the pictures & descriptions I'd have caught it for sure upon inspection, but nobody looks closely 100% of the time. Thanks The Vainguard for the leg work and education.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Great write-up... a little off topic, but I noticed your authentic UBR has the enhanced butt pad... how do you like it compared to the standard butt pad?
Old 06-14-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzstefan View Post
Great write-up... a little off topic, but I noticed your authentic UBR has the enhanced butt pad... how do you like it compared to the standard butt pad?
I like it better as in looks... I just got the UBR today so no range time comparison yet.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:51 PM

I'm guessing they didn't copy the UBR for the Airsoft line?
Old 06-14-2010, 11:56 PM

It included two methods of mounting (As stated in the OP, but not pictured). I'm guessing one is for airsoft, the other for Firearms.
Old 06-15-2010, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserM4 View Post
Actually I think the real question is why do you have the China vesion in the first place?
Old 06-15-2010, 7:29 AM

awesome write up...glad to know i have a real UBR =]
Old 06-15-2010, 7:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Excellent write up and pics
Old 06-15-2010, 8:05 AM

thanks for the detailed info.....much appreciated!
Old 06-15-2010, 8:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Its just a dang shame to have deregulated trade with china to allow for this kind of crap to take place at all. It sucks because everyone of these counterfeits that is bought instead of the real US made version hurts both the consumer and Magpul which employs some fine Americans.

The counterfeit market for gun accessories has gotten out of hand. You have to pretty much by from a licensed vendor or know your product before hand to make sure you are getting a legit product. Vendors have websites containing info about knock off warnings and the ones that I am aware of are Aimpont, Eotech, Trijicon, Leupold, Magpul, the list goes on and on.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Man that was some great Kool-Aid.......... hmmmmmm theres a hint of something metallic. Oh well guess I will get on with the voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTp View Post
So if you do ban me you will hear from my lawyer as to why you think you can violate peoples civil rights
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosinnagantm9130 View Post
Oh for ****s sake, now there are two of them.This is the type of **** anti's point to when they want to make us all look crazy.
Old 06-15-2010, 8:56 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Its just a dang shame to have deregulated trade with china to allow for this kind of crap to take place at all. It sucks because everyone of these counterfeits that is bought instead of the real US made version hurts both the consumer and Magpul which employs some fine Americans.

The counterfeit market for gun accessories has gotten out of hand. You have to pretty much by from a licensed vendor or know your product before hand to make sure you are getting a legit product. Vendors have websites containing info about knock off warnings and the ones that I am aware of are Aimpont, Eotech, Trijicon, Leupold, Magpul, the list goes on and on.

It's definitely frustrating to see the amount of counterfeiting going on in the gun market. In the end it drives up prices for the authentic since they won't sell as many.

I'm definitely wary when I look for optics myself.

Happy Shooting
Old 06-15-2010, 11:10 AM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Thanks for the write up !! The counterfeit market has gotten so bad that I am afriad to buy anything used. The Aimpoints, Eotechs, Leupolds, Magpuls, Bushnells, Troys, Burris, A.I.M.S. are just some of the fakes I am aware of. It used to be one can buy some great stuff used because there are always guys upgrading every year. Nowadays you have to be real careful to buy used stuff because the seller might not even know he has the fake product. Arrrrr .... frustrating !!!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

One more thing to add....the misspelled words and improper markings are not errors. Its done on purpose. About 8 years ago I was at a trade convention where this topic came up. This is a loop hole China uses to delay or stop US efforts to shut these companies down. It doesnt work and both US and China agrees the items violate our laws, but its a way to bog down the system and slow it allowing the manufacture to make some $$ before moving on to copy the next "hot" item. The companies hop around from item to item, one week company A produces item A, the next week they copy item B, while company B starts making item A. Both companies are owned by the same parent corp, but are insolated from US laws via China laws on manufacturing...its a nightmare and impossible to stop.
Old 06-15-2010, 4:59 PM

I just read in the Saiga forum that those who used the china clones were talking about the buffer tube not being strong enough to be used on real ARs.
OP have you tried using the clone on your AR and actually fire the weapon?
I would think that if this airsoft quality stock is good enough for real ARs then we would have heard a lot of users already?
Old 06-15-2010, 5:53 PM

Seeing stuff like this just makes my blood boil. There can never be fair trade in this world when the largest "trading partner" is a downright cheat.
Old 06-15-2010, 7:28 PM

[QUOTE=gemini1;4460220]
OP have you tried using the clone on your AR and actually fire the weapon?
/QUOTE]

Just mounted
Old 06-15-2010, 10:00 PM

Good writeup on this POS clone.

I wouldn't want one of these at ANY price (yes, even free is more than I'd be willing to pay to actually own and use one of these).

China has become the biggest thief in the world. They try to steal anything that isn't nailed down tight.

Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.

America's Largest Street Gang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qEr_mZf06Y
Old 06-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Sort of off topic...

Anybody got that link to the info about the chinese glocks that kaboom?
Old 08-08-2010, 7:26 PM

Another little important fact is the Cage code # found on every thing that is made for our government. Magpul parts say "Cage 1LX50"
Old 08-12-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl333 View Post
Thanks for the write up !! The counterfeit market has gotten so bad that I am afriad to buy anything used. The Aimpoints, Eotechs, Leupolds, Magpuls, Bushnells, Troys, Burris, A.I.M.S. are just some of the fakes I am aware of. It used to be one can buy some great stuff used because there are always guys upgrading every year. Nowadays you have to be real careful to buy used stuff because the seller might not even know he has the fake product. Arrrrr .... frustrating !!!!!
So true...its gotten to the point where I won't buy anything off ebay anymore and like you, I often wonder how much of what is being sold on all gun forums are the real thing.

vainguard...thanks for an excellent and timely comparison.
Old 08-12-2011, 8:00 PM

Thank you! I hate fake stuff! Whatever helps people recognize fakes is a good thing
Old 08-12-2011, 8:23 PM

I've had an airsoft knock off magpul type sling that was as good as the original. Got it for 10 bucks so I cant complain. Works as good as the $50 one. Just stay away from critical components.

I should mention It didn't have magpul logos on it. Just the same hardware.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:00 PM
NOT BANNED..yet
CGN Contributor

good to know!!
/thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Biden is only there so nobody assassinates Obama. He's like a bullet proof vest that drinks too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
It's right next to the part that says gays can get married and sluts get free birth control.
ΦΑ
Old 08-13-2011, 11:41 AM

Some people may have seen this, but check out this fake apple store in china

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=93586
Old 08-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the comparison! It's totally infuriating, but also kind of fascinating. The worst part is that it will drive up prices, eventually, and many large Internet distributors have been scammed themselves, which is a way bigger problem than just shady Gunbroker auctions. In fact someone was locked up last year for distributing counterfeit Eotechs in the LA area, so it's def illegal to sell the fakes knowingly.
Old 08-13-2011, 3:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Live in NorCal and work in SoCal...Gun laws in CA are terrible.

Fake suxors...I got fake XTR rails and a fake AFG from a show once...The difference is huge. I wish I could have a Magpul lawyer at the guns shows.
03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
Southwest Sales Manager -SolidWorks.
Old 08-13-2011, 4:21 PM
Veteran Member

aw magpul is a sad panda.
Old 08-13-2011, 7:30 PM

My experience has been.... buy at a gun show get fake parts.