Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-14-2010, 8:41 AM

Default S&W M&P: Any Good?

Interested in Calgunners' experience with Smith M&P auto pistols. How do ergonomics compare with 1911, Sig and HK? Fit and finish? Any reliability issues? Would really appreciate if we could limit discussion to actual experience rather than speculation.
Old 06-14-2010, 8:56 AM

While I have shot many guns, the M&P was the first gun I actually owned. There are far more knowledgable people here, but this is my experience.

My best friend from growing up became a deputy and carried a glock, so I had quite a bit of experience shooting his. I went to turners with every intention of buying a glock but I decided I should do the prudent thing and check out alternatives.

The clerk handed me an XD and I thought "wow, this feels so much better in my hand, I'm glad I didn't just buy the G17". I then asked if there were any other popular competitors and he handed me an M&P. I almost bought it right then and there because it felt PERFECT in my hand.

However, just to be sure I went to the range and put 50 rounds through an XD-9, 50 through an XD-40, 50 through an M&P-9, and 50 through an M&P 40.

It confirmed my original beliefs: I wanted the M&P. I went with a 9 so that I could get cheaper ammo to practice with.

Since buying my M&P I have put ~1500 rounds through it without one malfunction. I went through a training class where I shot over 200 rounds, dropping mags into dirty ground and just wiping them off on my jeans; still no problems.

I have also shot a 1911 and a SIG P226 since the purchase. I liked the 1911 a lot, but the grip was less comfortable to me than the M&P. The Sig felt good (better than 1911 imo), but still wasn't quite to the standard the M&P had set for me.

I put in an Apex tactical sear and carry spring (I did them myself with absolutely zero gunsmithing experience) which really smoothed out the trigger and gave it a better reset position. For $60 it was worth every penny.

It has been a great gun. Accurate and reliable.
Old 06-14-2010, 9:11 AM

Thanx, Crovax for that articulate review of your experience.
Old 06-14-2010, 9:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've been a 1911 guy for decades but I do love my M&P45! Part of the reason is that S&W designed it to mimic the ergonomics of the 1911. The grip angle is the same (or close to it), the width of the grip is roughly the same, the shape of the grip and the interchangeable backstraps allow it to fill the hand in the same way or fell slightly larger or smaller. The very low bore axis allows the much lighter M&P to feel like it has about the same or less felt recoil.

Where the M&P comes up short of the 1911 is the trigger. With a bit of work the M&P's trigger can be made quite good for a striker fired pistol, but nothing comes close to the perfection of a well tuned 1911 trigger. But for a fighting handgun the M&P's trigger is just fine and I'm impressed enough that I now own three. My original M&P45, plus a 9c and a 40c, and my M&P45 now occupies the place of honor next to my bed.

Reviews:
M&P45
M&P9
M&P40
M&P9c

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 06-14-2010 at 9:23 AM..
Old 06-14-2010, 9:19 AM

I have 2 M&Ps. I will post something I posted on arfcom.

Ok, I have always been a 1911 guy after carrying one in the military and owning several over the years. My favorite is a caspian frame and slide that I built over the past several years getting everything to my liking. So a couple of years ago I bought a M&P 45 just for the hell of it. I had a glock 22 for a while but hated it. After selling it I wanted to try the newest plastic wonder gun so I bought the M&P .45 when it was on sale and they were offering 2 free mags and the rebate check. Waited my 10 days and picked it up. Off to the range I went. Tried it and thought well ok, it shoots but nothing to rave about. Oh well, at least it fit my hand unlike the glock.

It became a permanent resident in the safe while my 1911 went out every time. When Apex came out with the DAECK kit and everyone started raving about it I decided to try it and see if it could help me like the M&P. Well, it did. I was pretty happy about the new trigger feel. I took it to the range and now it felt so much better. I liked it so much I went out and bought a 9mm version as well. Installed the kit in that too.

I must say those 2 are now my favorite pistols. They seem like they are easier for me to shoot than the other pistols I own. My 1911 still has the better trigger but it should with all the money and time dumped into it but I don't have to try as hard with the M&Ps to get good groups.

I have never shot a SIG (not left hand friendly) so I can't comment on those. I have a USP40 also and while it is reliable and accurate the ergos are not the greatest for me. I can't get my hand high enough due to the frame shape. The M&P just seems to fit my hand best and you can experiment with the 3 different size back straps.

I have not had one malfunction. I have about 700 rds though my .45 and 500 though the 9mm. No, I haven't cleaned either one of them yet. Going back to the range tomorrow to put more rounds though both of them.

The 1911 is thinner as it should be being a single stack mag. The M&P is a little thicker but not nearly as thick as a glock 21, The M&P wins out on weight over the 1911.

Fit and finish is the same as the other plastic wonder guns. They get the job done but no one will ever ohh or ahhh over it like a finely blued colt 70 series.

I do like the M&P series so much that I am going to jump through the hoops to get a 9MM L though an intrafamily transfer from out of the state.
Old 06-14-2010, 9:37 AM

Sholling and Chuck762-Very nice reviews. Really appreciate all the info. It's starting to look as if these Smiths are seriously worth checking out.
Old 06-14-2010, 9:40 AM
Internet Folk Hero
CGN Contributor

From the "tiny" end of the scale, I've got the compact version of the M&P in .40.
I originally bought this gun on a "too good to pass up" deal, where a guy at work was selling it for cheap. He didn't want to part with it, but got in trouble with the misses or something like that.
In any case, my first and every range experience with it thus far (about 1,200 rounds), has been pleasant surprise. The ergo is quite nice for my hands with the medium backstrap, and ok for my wife with the small backstrap.
The biggest surprise is the accuracy. It's way more accurate than I expect every time I shoot it.

On my wish list is the full size one in .40.

I'd say that for the money, you won't be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklon View Post
The inevitable explosion gets closer and closer, coming in little steps, but closer every day.
I say: "Let's do it and get it over with."
Old 06-14-2010, 9:53 AM

OK, Jason 2111. Appreciate it.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:00 AM

Quick post since I'm on break from work..
I'm a 1911 guy, just love everything about it, and how the sights come to my eyes rather than vice versa... Now, I've been eyeing an m&p for a while, and finally rented one, and I also love everything about that gun too! I shot very well and loved the feel of it. It's my next purchase
Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 AM

If you like glock style handguns, then I would definitely recommend the M&P.

I have been a Glock owner for a number of years now. A Glock 19 which I enjoy to shoot and use for IDPA. I had been wanting to upgrade the caliber of my weapon for a little while now to a .40 caliber. My personal preference is that they have better stopping power than the 9mm and a smoother recoil on top of it.

I went to my local range and but 50-100 rounds through ever .40 caliber the had to rent (Glock, Sig, XD, Kahr, S&W, etc.) and over a dozen handguns later I had come up with two that worked very well for me. S&W M&P 40 and Glock 27. They were the later of the weapons used but the best groupings which adding shooting fatigue into the mix definite told me something about these handguns.

After some online research into my top contenders, I ended up purchasing the S&W M&P 40. Some things that pushed me over the edge were grips, capacity, and barrel length. I have never been a big fan of the glocks grips since the 3rd gen (my glock 19 is 2nd gen), my fingers just don't fit right in the grooves. But with the interchangeable grip sizes with the M&P it's very easy to find one that just feels right. You could even change it between shooters as it takes all of about 10 secs to change it out. As far as the capacity, I know it a little unfair as I was comparing a sub compact to a compact size handgun, but even the M&P 40C has a 10+1 round capacity where the Glock 27 only has 8 or 9. Again, barrel length is a bit unfair comparison, but I felt the M&P was a better fit for me in the long run as both an IDPA and CCW weapon.

At this point, I still have my Glock 19, but if I continue to enjoy shooting the M&P as much as I do now, the 19 may be up for sale soon.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:08 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

An M&P40 Compact is my CCW gun (after shifting from a Glock 23). Love it, and zero issues with it.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:12 AM

IMC87, thanks for the quick blast on break & Onyx13, enjoyed your Glock vs M&P comparison.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:15 AM

OK Gryff! Holy smoke, I'm checking these Smiths out toot sweet! And sincere thanks again to everyone's lightning fast, reasoned, and informative responses!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:09 AM

While not experienced with a ton of other handguns, I have owned the M&P .40 for a bit over a year now and can tell you I have been very pleased with it. It has noticeably less (perceived by me) kick back than two Glock 9's (one older one newer) that I have plenty of range time with. "It fits my hand like a glove" is very true.
I can't imagine you would be disappointed with any of this class of firearm. Glock, Sig, S&W and others are well built and have built awesome reputations for good reason.
I like my M&P and I'd imagine you would like one too.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Calguns Addict

With the Apex add-ons, my M&P .45 became my all time favorite pistol. I really want a compact model now too.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 06-14-2010, 11:29 AM

I have a M&P9 and M&P9c

They are both great guns.

Here's me having some fun using my M&P9c.

Robinson Arms XCR 7.62X39

Gun Spot - Find any gun store or FFL transfer agent with this iPhone app.

Range Spot - Find almost any shooting range and training facility with this iPhone app.
Old 06-14-2010, 1:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have 2 Glocks (19 & 21SF). I have 4 HKs (USP .45, USPc .45, P2000sk, P30L). I have 2 Berettas (92FS Brigadier & PX4 Storm). I have 3 Walthers (P22 and a pair of P99s). Rounding out the collection: a Nighthawk GRP Recon, Springfield EMP, SIG P220 and... an M&P .45

My P99s will always be my favorites, I highly doubt any gun manufacturer will be able to come up with a gun design better than that during my lifetime. I've always favored my HKs above the rest of the family too. A few weeks ago, I bought and installed the Apex sear in my M&P. Just the sear. After shooting it 2 Saturdays ago, the M&P is now #2 behind my P99s. The difference a $40 part can make is nothing short of astonishing to me. Bone stock, they're very good guns. With one aftermarket part and about 5 minutes of work time with a punch, they become truly spectacular guns. I've already decided I'm buying 2 more M&Ps. One in 9mm and for the first time, I'll also be buying a .40S&W. That's how much I like these guns now. Oh, and obviously, I'll be putting Apex parts into them.
Old 06-14-2010, 3:28 PM

The only thing I don't like about the M&P, is that many times when you insert the magazine, the slide automatically releases forward. I don't have this problem on any of the guns I own, but its not something I prefer.

Other than that, my nephew really enjoys the fit in his hand. When I shot with it, I had no special feeling.
Old 06-14-2010, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icypu View Post
The only thing I don't like about the M&P, is that many times when you insert the magazine, the slide automatically releases forward. I don't have this problem on any of the guns I own, but its not something I prefer.
I have personally never had this happen. That is a safety issue and should definitely be looked at.

I would guess that if you called S&W they would gladly fix it.
Old 06-14-2010, 3:48 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:

Other than that, my nephew really enjoys the fit in his hand. When I shot with it, I had no special feeling.
You see that regularly happen on Glocks (usually during competition or drills where the shooter inserts the magazine with significant force). Some Glock owners actually consider this a perk (I don't though).

Personally, I've never seen it happen with my M&Pc.
Old 06-14-2010, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
I have personally never had this happen. That is a safety issue and should definitely be looked at.

My feedback is based on a few experiences on firing range guns. Actually I used a M&P 9 and M&P 40 at two different ranges on 3 occasions , but never owned one for this reason. When I asked the attendants they said it was common with the M&P, and also that those models have shot a few thousand rounds a week.

Sometimes I slam a mag into my Steyr or XD 40 and nothing happens which is the way it should be I think.
Old 06-14-2010, 4:01 PM

I own a M&P .45, I am now looking at getting a M&P .40 compact.

There is not much I can add, that has not already been said. I guess the only thing I can say, is go rent one and try it out.

Good luck in your search,

Brian

Last edited by Brian2217; 06-14-2010 at 4:09 PM..
Old 06-14-2010, 4:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
My feedback is based on a few experiences on firing range guns. Actually I used a M&P 9 and M&P 40 at two different ranges on 3 occasions , but never owned one for this reason. When I asked the attendants they said it was common with the M&P, and also that those models have shot a few thousand rounds a week.

Sometimes I slam a mag into my Steyr or XD 40 and nothing happens which is the way it should be I think.
maybe it is due to being a range gun, which means rounded slide catch. and the misuse of the slide catch to release to slide does not help either.
Old 06-14-2010, 4:09 PM
Calguns Addict

I love mine. I have the 9mm, and want to get the .45

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 06-14-2010, 5:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

This was discussed to death on the M&P board and is considered a non-issue and S&W will tell you the same thing.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 06-14-2010, 5:34 PM

I love my m&p. I am very pleased with it's performance and the overall quality of the gun.

You might want to check out the results of this torture test:
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=60501
The capitalist economic model is fundamentally flawed. It is not self sustaining, and can only maintain itself with constant growth. Obviously infinite growth is impossible, so the question is not whether the economy will collapse, but when.

Get your guns, ammo, and food while the stores still stock them. Prepare yourself now, because when the meltdown comes it will be too late.
Old 06-14-2010, 5:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

On the Magpul Art of the Dynamic Handgun DVD Costa demonstrates this technique with his M&P as well as a Beretta 92. When he inserts the mag with a motion perpendicular to the grip it remains open, when he hits it up and forward they both feed the first round on mag insertion.
Old 06-14-2010, 5:36 PM

Excellent gun, I sold my tricked out P229 in .40 after I bought my M&P 40 FS. It has the best recoil characteristic out of all .40 cal pistols I've ever owned, and I've had a lot. Never had any malfunctions with the weapon, the trigger smoothed up ALOT after dry firing a bit.

However, I got rid of it also due to it's "ergonomics". Whenever I drew the weapon I found my finger automatically land inside the trigger guard and that's a problem. Maybe it's because I'm used to Glocks but the risk of an accidental discharge is simply unacceptable.
Old 06-14-2010, 5:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

This is not a safety issue. It is very common. Check out

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showforum=59

My glock does that from time to time too. If you slam it hard enough or at a certain angle, the slide will close and load one round in the chamber.
Old 06-14-2010, 5:47 PM
Intergalactic Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I went through about 20 pistols a couple of years ago when i was looking for a 9mm. I chose the best 3, and put them through a semi-final. M&P Won.

I now own 3 of them (9mm, 9c, .45). They kind of grow on you.

Comfortable, accurate, reliable, easy-to-shoot.

Highly recommended.
COTEP #227

SAF Life Member

NRA Benefactor
Old 06-14-2010, 8:25 PM
Veteran Member

i think its funny when people name "capacity" as a selling point. Unless you are LEO, your capacity is 10.

If you don't like the price of something I am selling please feel free to move along... The market, not you, will determine what it's worth. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2010, 8:51 PM

Quote:
I think its great. Once the new mag is in I want to release the slide anyway. I hope my new M&P that I pick up next week will do it.

My Beretta also does it BTW.
Old 06-14-2010, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerGlock View Post
I think its great. Once the new mag is in I want to release the slide anyway. I hope my new M&P that I pick up next week will do it.

My Beretta also does it BTW.
Its a not so great feature to be honest, because if you get used to it, murphy will curse you and the one time you need that second mag, you will slam it home and the slide wont close. But you will be used to it closing automatically, so you will be on target with a still empty chamber..... its full of bad. That being said i still love the m&P series.
Old 06-14-2010, 9:23 PM
Now in AZ
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

My wife just bought an M&P .40 and loves it. It replaced her XD-45 Tactical and overall feels it is a significant improvement. The small grip fits her hand perfectly and the large grip fit me great. If I was't so dead set on getting a Sig P226 I'd get an M&P.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

I will add that I traded for a full size in 40 and really like the pistol. Great ergos, accurate, smooth shooting. I had my 220, 4506, and M&P recently on a trip with a bunch of friends and most felt the M&P fit and shot the best for them.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:10 PM

M&P are great firearms, particularly if you are looking for that type of platform that have interchangeable grips. The full size MP45 has the same grip size in S/M as the MP9 - never had the chance to compare the L size grips. Quite the feat if you ask me.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Banned

love mine, 6K rounds and counting and it's been flawless. I do get the occasional slide release when I slam a mag home under pressure, but it's been a benefit so far.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:25 PM

There is mine in the avatar. I have shot various pistols, but not everything. Mine is comfortable and easy to shot. It was also the recommendation from the guys at Defensive Firearms Training. www.dftraining.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt5811 View Post
Glocks are like Darth Vader dressed as Hello Kitty. They sit there looking all plasticky and harmless and when it's time to use the force, the Evil Dark Lord comes out and rules the galaxy.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
You see that regularly happen on Glocks (usually during competition or drills where the shooter inserts the magazine with significant force). Some Glock owners actually consider this a perk (I don't though).

Personally, I've never seen it happen with my M&Pc.

Heard about that happening to some Glock owners as well. I've never had that occur with any of my Glocks though, nor has it happened to any other Glock owner I personally know.

Bottom line is M&P is a go!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:10 AM

Go shoot one or buy one to find out. I have the M&P45 and it is second only to my Sig P220ST. As far as polymers go, I put my M&P above HK and Glock. And yes I own a few Glocks and HK USP's. The only thing that it is not better at than the HK and Glock is the trigger pull. It is on the heavy side but can easily be lightened. And it works fine for me since it's a HD pistol. But I love the M&P line. I have heard of certain issues with the M&P9 but not the 45. So far, my M&P45 has been flawless. No issues with anything including the magazine slam releasing the slide forward.

Last edited by RT13; 06-21-2010 at 12:29 AM..