Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:05 AM

Default Got busted at Forest Road 1N09 East of Highway 330

My brother and I were shooting out their saturday. Then the rangers pull up. The long story short we got tickets for shooting bowling pins. The rangers said, "It's posted on the sign". Athough the sign said, "small wood targets are ok". Are we the ones in the wrong here?
Old 06-13-2010, 11:22 AM

aren't bowling pins made of wood? last time i picked one up in my hand, it didn't seem much bigger than a 2l cola bottle...
Old 06-13-2010, 11:25 AM

Did the bowling pins leave a bunch of plastic pieces each time they were shot? I am not saying you are in the wrong but maybe thats why they dont like bowling pins... ?
And what exactly does the ticket say on it for the infraction???
I pledge allegiance to the Eagle with the MP5 of the United Police States of America, and to the fallen Republic which once stood, the New World Order under our new overlords, divided, with tyranny and injustice for all.
Enthusiast
Old 06-13-2010, 11:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The plastic coating is exactly why they're banned there. The plastic doesn't breakdown in the environment and leaves a mess.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 06-13-2010, 11:41 AM

They are wood, they are not very big at all.
I think that is why they done like them. But now plastic came off at all!!
Also they could see that we had been picking up peoples trash as well as are trash .
Old 06-13-2010, 2:01 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Outside layer is plastic, so it is no longer a wood target. Sucks, but thats how I see it.

http://www.alliedbrassprocessing.com/
Professional Brass Processing Service of your 223/5.56, 300 AAC Blackout and 9MM brass at an affordable price
PM me about local dropoff and pickups
Old 06-13-2010, 3:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
The rangers have to justify their jobs.
Rangers gotta deal with people shooting and leaving all kinds of nasty mess behind.
Old 06-13-2010, 4:06 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

So I guess this is a kosher place to shoot, just be careful what you shoot at?

Seems like they should have given you a chance to clean up? But I suppose they have to assume you will leave junk behind. How do they feel about clay targets up there? What are the restrictions?

Scott
Old 06-13-2010, 4:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
The plastic coating is exactly why they're banned there. The plastic doesn't breakdown in the environment and leaves a mess.
Plastic photodegrades (breaks up in sunlights), so unless it gets buried it does break down. However it will stay around for a few years.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 06-13-2010, 4:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
So I guess this is a kosher place to shoot, just be careful what you shoot at?

Seems like they should have given you a chance to clean up? But I suppose they have to assume you will leave junk behind. How do they feel about clay targets up there? What are the restrictions?

Scott
Clay targets don't stay around long, they're made to break down when wet.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 06-13-2010, 4:47 PM

I guess I was lucky last year. I took out 10 inch stump to see how deep the bullets penetrate and the rangers made me pick it up and put it in the back of my truck.
Old 06-13-2010, 5:02 PM

wow.. seriously guys?!

The rules were posted that there should be no plastic targets in the SB National Forest. Guy brings bowling pins which we can all agree are plastic targets and he gets a ticket. This is clearly how things are supposed to work.

I can't believe how many of you guys bash on the forestry department because they try to keep things nice and clean to keep the place open. I understand the OP is "one of us" but lets all use a little common sense.
Old 06-13-2010, 5:25 PM

sucks to get a ticket, but now I know better than to bring anything plastic next time to BLM land! I usually bring bowling pins, and plastic framed target stands too! From now on, its wood and steel only

+1 for the forrest rangers

TURBOELKY
Old 06-13-2010, 5:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antihero47 View Post
wow.. seriously guys?!

The rules were posted that there should be no plastic targets in the SB National Forest. Guy brings bowling pins which we can all agree are plastic targets and he gets a ticket. This is clearly how things are supposed to work.

I can't believe how many of you guys bash on the forestry department because they try to keep things nice and clean to keep the place open. I understand the OP is "one of us" but lets all use a little common sense.
This.
Old 06-13-2010, 5:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
wow.. seriously guys?!

I just re-read the posts, I could not see where anyone was bashing the rangers. If nothing else, everyone agrees that the brothers broke the rules. Calm yourself.......
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 06-13-2010, 6:19 PM

They deleted the posts.
Old 06-13-2010, 6:37 PM

Buy some steel targets.
Old 06-13-2010, 7:18 PM

How much is the ticket by the way???
I pledge allegiance to the Eagle with the MP5 of the United Police States of America, and to the fallen Republic which once stood, the New World Order under our new overlords, divided, with tyranny and injustice for all.
Enthusiast
Old 06-13-2010, 7:45 PM
Calguns Addict

They have gotten very strict in this area because a few years ago, many people in the Running Springs / Smiley Park area lost their homes due to a fire that started near the shooting area and was blamed on shooters. The residents wanted to shut the entire forest down to shooting, and the Forest Service stodd up to them.

If we can't follow the rules, we will lose the ability to use the forest for shooting.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 06-13-2010, 9:51 PM

The ticket is only 60$
It's all good, I can see now i we just did not read the sign right so its are bad.
I have just never had a problem before ever.
Thanks all and I think i will just get some still targets and thats that
Old 06-13-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocprerunner View Post
The ticket is only 60$
It's all good, I can see now i we just did not read the sign right so its are bad.
I have just never had a problem before ever.
Thanks all and I think i will just get some still targets and thats that
Did they recently put up a sign? I remember there was a sign there, telling you that you're not entering the designated shooting area. It was shot up and someone took it down. DOH!
Old 07-26-2010, 7:50 AM

Old 07-26-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocprerunner View Post
Athough the sign said, "small wood targets are ok".
Did the sign say "No bowling pins"?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I bet it's the paint on the bowling pins, you're lucky the HAZMAT squad didn't come in and contain the area

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 07-26-2010, 12:56 PM

Well when it opens back up later this year, I'll be running by forest station to verify my targets are ok. Is cardboard considered paper? You sure would think so, but I'd rather take my target over there since I do have pvc as the legs.
Old 07-26-2010, 8:35 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

Please tell me they did not close this because some yahoo shot the sign up?

Scott
Old 07-27-2010, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Scott
looks like it might be b/c of fire season.
Old 07-27-2010, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
looks like it might be b/c of fire season.
Yep fire season. Their last day was 7-17-2010 for the season. I went by Mill Creek and they said it's hard to know when it will be back open, as soon as activity level is low again.

I'll start checking again in October

Last edited by cpt_majestic; 07-27-2010 at 10:27 AM..
Old 07-27-2010, 8:23 AM

How about pumpkins and watermellons? Okay to shoot?
Old 07-27-2010, 8:39 AM
Calguns Addict

One of our old favorite targets was to get a bunch of paper milk cartons fill them with water and freeze them overnight.
Big chunks of ice flying puts a smile on your face but then again we did have a few that just vaorized.

“In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.”
Publius Cornelius Scipio

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietam servitutem
"I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery"
Count Palatine of Posen
Old 07-27-2010, 1:53 PM

Quote:

Scott
Thats exactly why they close these places, some dbag has to be a tough guy and shoot the sign..
Old 07-28-2010, 8:36 PM
Veteran Member

I shoot up there sometimes. People bring stuff like pallets and other junk. After it's shot up they just leave it. The forest service in years past would keep a dumpster by the entrance by the main road. At least people could take their trash back to the dumpster. Now it seems like they just shoot it up and leave the trash because they don't want to haul it all the way back down the hill. That sign where you come in also says 16 designated areas to shoot. Well all the markers for the areas have been gone for about 2 years. Because one creek is too hard to get through there are only actually about 3 spots. One is handgun only and the other 2 you can shoot rifles but not very far. It use to great up there years ago before they had fire started by a shooter. Good places to shoot and you didn't have to go in as far. Mark
Old 09-01-2010, 11:55 PM

I found a description with phone number from this web site.
http://www.socalcamping.com/shooting/shoot_info.html

Forest Road 1N09 East of Highway 330
The Forest Road that leads to this remote fourteen site target shooting area is approximately one half mile from the City Creek Ranger Station on Highway 330. An Adventure Pass is required for all shooting areas on the forest. Because of the risks of starting a fire, only lead-core bullets are permitted. Steel core, armor piercing, or Teflon ammunition is not allowed. Shooters should call the Mill Creek Ranger Station (909-382-2882) for information on the fire activity level for the 1N09 area on the day they plan to target practice. If the Activity Level is at a 1 or 2, shooting is allowed all day. If the Activity Level is 3, shooting is allowed until 1:00 p.m. If the Activity Level is at 4 or 5, no shooting is allowed. Remember to help keep your National Forest clean by removing any target shooting related debris or trash.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
wow.. seriously guys?!

And how do you sir, HAVE ANY WAY OF KNOWING whether the OP was, or did, or was in the process of removing said objects he shot at? Where you there? Do you fully know the situation?

Whatever I shoot, I pack out. I don't trash the ranges...........enough of the Collectivist ideology, alright? At least give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

Besides, we all know that the Rangers aren't how they used to be 30 years ago, which was genuinely helpful to people in the forests. Now, just like the police in America, they are treating everyone like an enemy combatant who needs to have their money extracted from them whenever possible.

"If men were angels, no government would be necessary." - James Madison, Federalist No. 51 (1787)
Old 09-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member

So no old TVs then
Old 09-02-2010, 1:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleship View Post
So no old TVs then
No, that is trashing nature. Unless the range is already sufficiently trashed, and you pack it out, then I think it's wrong.

"If men were angels, no government would be necessary." - James Madison, Federalist No. 51 (1787)