Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 06-10-2010, 6:50 PM

Default Hodge RD cleanup complete, pics posted

well the cleanup was a success. as successufull as 4 people and 1 truck can do.
thanks to Donny1 and his wife for showing. he is a great guy. and his wife out cleaned us all.

we hauled out 500lbs of trash to the dump not included in the weigh were 9 tired i dropped off and an america tires shop.
here are some pics

i really wish more of you could have shown. we barely made a dent.

Last edited by halon101; 06-27-2010 at 6:00 PM.. Reason: title change cleanup done
Old 06-10-2010, 10:29 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I need to double check my schedule but I think I am unavailable both weekends due to parents birthdays/ fathers day.
In all honesty I waffle between finding you disgusting and pitying you that your life is so void of anything substantial that you measure yourself by 'conquests' and who you know that can get you in where.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:42 PM

I want to check out the area and do a little shooting so why not clean up a little. I will follow the thread for the firmed up date and try and make it up there.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:18 AM

I might be in.

Is this a legal BLM area or what?

Will follow the thread.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:28 AM

The 26th would be better for me as I am picking up a new rifle at Turners on the 19th, after 4:37 pm of course.

Just a Marlin 795 but anything new gets me excited.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:33 PM

I race in that area, i am interested in helping out.

TAGGED
Old 06-11-2010, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny1 View Post
I might be in.

Is this a legal BLM area or what?

Will follow the thread.
Nope, but many people shoot there, and I have never heard of anyone having an issue. I have heard conflicting reports of shotguns being ok though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Just wish I knew what wood in your meat is suppost to taste like.
Old 06-11-2010, 4:54 PM

i have seen a couple of signs out there that say shotgun is legal off of wild wash road.
a friend had LE aproach him once out there and tell him to move further from the freeway. the east side is offroad only from what i have heard but west side is game on.

every saturday i have been there you see atleast 4 other camps shooting. its totally legal.

the spot where i shoot is getting really bad. i think a little shoot and clean would be fun.
Old 06-11-2010, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halon101 View Post
i have seen a couple of signs out there that say shotgun is legal off of wild wash road.
a friend had LE aproach him once out there and tell him to move further from the freeway. the east side is offroad only from what i have heard but west side is game on.

every saturday i have been there you see atleast 4 other camps shooting. its totally legal.

the spot where i shoot is getting really bad. i think a little shoot and clean would be fun.
Just because an leo tells someone to move further down doesn't make it legal. according to BLM and you can call the field office to verify, Hodge has been closed off for handguns and rifles since 2006. I think they just don't want to worry about enforcement. I have never had, nor heard of a problem there, but BLM will tell you it is illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Just wish I knew what wood in your meat is suppost to taste like.
Old 06-12-2010, 8:03 AM

hey Noah, are you interested in helping clean up?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah3683 View Post
Just because an leo tells someone to move further down doesn't make it legal. according to BLM and you can call the field office to verify, Hodge has been closed off for handguns and rifles since 2006. I think they just don't want to worry about enforcement. I have never had, nor heard of a problem there, but BLM will tell you it is illegal.

The portion of Hodge Rd just west of 15 is private property. If you continue west past the private property, you are in a rifle & shotgun zone. If you draw a straight line from Helendale to the 15, north of that is the rifle area (excluding private property and Barstow city limits).
East of the 15 north to 40 is shotgun only, because of the OHV area.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
hey Noah, are you interested in helping clean up?
I certainly am. That place is long overdue for a cleanup. I may be in AZ one of those weekends though. I'm not totally sure yet
Old 06-12-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5shot View Post
The portion of Hodge Rd just west of 15 is private property. If you continue west past the private property, you are in a rifle & shotgun zone. If you draw a straight line from Helendale to the 15, north of that is the rifle area (excluding private property and Barstow city limits).
East of the 15 north to 40 is shotgun only, because of the OHV area.
thanks for the info

its sounding like we might actually get some people out there to help.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:53 PM

The 26th is better for me but I can do the 19th if that's the date that is picked. Will there be a place to park and hitch a ride in? I won't be driving a truck out there so I would either need to carpool with someone from the SGV or meet someone out there and hitch a ride into the cleanup location.

Post or PM if anyone can help.

Thanks,

Paul (mtbryder)

Pelican Weapon Cases & Lights
Custom Foam Cutouts
Authorized Pelican Distributor / Reseller / Partner

pelicanarmory@gmail.com
Old 06-13-2010, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbryder View Post
Will there be a place to park and hitch a ride in?

Paul (mtbryder)
you can hitch a ride in my truck if you dont mind parking and leaving your car. right after you exit the freeway the road drops off to dirt, you can pull off there and park.

i am personally leaning toward the 26th and so a few more of you.
Old 06-13-2010, 2:19 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I have shot there yrs ago, but stopped since I heard conflicting reports from people that it is shotgun only.

http://www.alliedbrassprocessing.com/
Professional Brass Processing Service of your 223/5.56, 300 AAC Blackout and 9MM brass at an affordable price
PM me about local dropoff and pickups
Old 06-13-2010, 5:52 PM

Let me know of the date, the 26th is not good for me but if you decide on the 19th I can bring a 16 foot trailer that we can load up and I'll haul it to the landfill.
Old 06-13-2010, 6:53 PM

thanks challenger that sounds nice, that would do the job no problem.
i will let you know but it sounds like more people want the 26th
Old 06-14-2010, 12:14 PM

The BLM office said that area is shotgun only.
Old 06-14-2010, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csterl View Post
The BLM office said that area is shotgun only.
not too sure what question you asked them but i have a map
http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...narea_8x11.pdf

and i from what i can see if you exit at stoddard wells ohv and go north west of the freeway its out of the scatter gun only section....

i am pretty tired of the debate as to legality. if you dont think its legal dont show. i have been shooting there for years.
Old 06-14-2010, 4:11 PM

So as the mam legend goes, what are legal shooting areas?

BFO areas are ok but what about "wilderness" areas? Just curious.
Old 06-14-2010, 4:31 PM

Quote:
. if you dont think its legal dont show.
sorry let me correct myself.

please do show. just dont bring any guns.

like i said the place really needs a cleanup regardless of legality.
maybe if we can get it semi clean the idiots that mess is up wont be able to find it any more.

Last edited by halon101; 06-14-2010 at 4:31 PM.. Reason: miss spell
Old 06-14-2010, 4:39 PM

Quote:
not too sure what question you asked them but i have a map
http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...narea_8x11.pdf

and i from what i can see if you exit at stoddard wells ohv and go north west of the freeway its out of the scatter gun only section....

i am pretty tired of the debate as to legality. if you dont think its legal dont show. i have been shooting there for years.
That BLM map is correct. It follows the SB Co. Shooting Ordnance that we have established. East side of 15 is shotgun only (no slugs), West side is rifle/pistol & shotgun. It's been that way for at least 20-30 years. And tomorrow (6-15-10) the SB Co. Board of Supervisors will approve the updated County Shooting Ordnance, and it will still be a rifle area.
The only debate concerns the area on the west side just past the 15. It's always been private land, but the owners allowed people to shoot there for many years. Then some idiots started shooting up their transmission towers at the top of the hill, so they started posting the land and enforcing the trespassing laws. Stay off the private property and your good to go.

Old 06-14-2010, 5:18 PM

i love you 5 shot.
very informed and precise.

i hope to keep the are nice so we dont change any minds on letting us shoot there.
Old 06-15-2010, 9:42 AM

Hey halon, wasn't disputing whether it was legal or not, just passing on what the ranger told me. They said anything south of the 58/ 40 was shotgun only, I guess this was incorrect information. I usually go just north of Barstow a bit and if there is a spot that is closer (stoddard wells) that is great! If/ when you decide on a date for sure I will do my best to get out and give a hand, I love shooting out in BLM land and will do what I can to clean up after the idiots who leave the place trashed.
Old 06-15-2010, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csterl View Post
Hey halon, wasn't disputing whether it was legal or not, just passing on what the ranger told me. They said anything south of the 58/ 40 was shotgun only, I guess this was incorrect information. I usually go just north of Barstow a bit and if there is a spot that is closer (stoddard wells) that is great! If/ when you decide on a date for sure I will do my best to get out and give a hand, I love shooting out in BLM land and will do what I can to clean up after the idiots who leave the place trashed.
The "north of 40 & 58" is a good rule of thumb that will keep you out of trouble. The area where Hodge Rd is at is legal rifle/pistol/shotgun & night shooting. But just across the 15 is not.
Basically, if you stay north or 40 & 58, all areas are open to rifle/pistol/shotgun & night shooting. The exceptions are military bases, incorporated cities, Mojave Natl Preserve (hunting only), private property, Camp Cady, and Death Valley Natl. Park.
That leaves 1000's of 20,000 square miles in San Bernardino Co. open to recreational shooting. I personally, would find a nice quiet area and avoid the areas where groups congregate.

Old 06-15-2010, 3:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
off I15 north of victorville there is a really nice offroad area. the stoddard wells loop. i dont ride but i do shoot. i have been shooting there for years and i have never seen it this bad. its a discrace. thousands of shot shell hulls. at least 4 tires propand tanks shot up. furnature. last week i saw a hollowed out shot up big screen tv. the area i shoot has a reallt nice back drop 100yds. i always start out there then back up to my 300 hilltop to hillside.

i will be there either saturday 19th or 26th depending on participation on when you can make it to help clean up.

it is a dirt trail through desert road so no low riders will make it. but my 2wd tundra does it no problem.

let me know if you want to help clean up we can fill my truck.

i will be there just off the freeway at sun up to drive in.
I go out there at least twice a week and have also noticed a lot of junk beginning to pile up out there also. I hate it when people trash the land like that. When I go out there shooting I try to clean up other peoples bags of junk and ammo boxes laying around when I can.
Old 06-15-2010, 3:59 PM

I was there a couple weeks ago and even posted some targets on that big screen you mentioned. A ranger pulled up about 10 mins after we had started shooting and asked if we were the only ones out there. I told him we had just arrived and I hadn't seen anyone else. He told us to have fun and drove off to check around and a few mins later drove back up to the fwy. I was worried because I had heard conflicting statements as to the legality of shooting handguns there and when the ranger pulled up I was shooting my SP2009. Last few times I've been out there, there were some hispanic guys picking up the brass.

I'll try to make it out on whichever date you pick but leaning towards the 26th.
Old 06-15-2010, 4:02 PM

i am going to pick the date of june 26th saturday morning. i will be on the east side of the freeway off the hodge road exit at 5:30 to catch the sun rise at 5:43.

thanks

csterl thanks for the post i understand what you had in mind. i think the blm wants it to be shotgun only since there are alot of offroaders out there. 5shot mentioned night shooting, thats a little scarry with all of the people that are out there and the lack of visibillity. also sounds fun. maybe i will spent the night there.
Old 06-15-2010, 4:04 PM

last time i was there it was an old black man picking up brass. he said he was on a fixed income. almost parted with some but i need my reloads.

all the trash out there and its hard to find any brass. just shotgun and steel casings.
Old 06-15-2010, 5:06 PM

wow thats amazing, the last time i was there was about 3 years ago an aside from the occasional spent brass, shotshells, and metal scrap that has been rotting for years and basically rusted gone, there was not much. definitly not like you describe.
Old 06-16-2010, 9:57 PM
Calguns Addict

last time i was there (several years ago) there were two cars. one jeep and some unrecognizable lump of 80's crap.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Calguns Addict

BTW,

last time i spoke with the BLM about shooting in the high desert i was told anything south of HWY 58 is shotgun ONLY. i made a thread about it too. if i remember correctly hodge road south of the 58.

you may want to double check on the legality of rifles there. just cause tons of people do it doesn't make it legal.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=290437
Old 06-16-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplow View Post
BTW,

last time i spoke with the BLM about shooting in the high desert i was told anything south of HWY 58 is shotgun ONLY. i made a thread about it too. if i remember correctly hodge road south of the 58.

you may want to double check on the legality of rifles there. just cause tons of people do it doesn't make it legal.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=290437
See post #23. Shooting in unincorporated areas of San Bernardino Co. is regulated by county ordnance. Unincorporated areas include county land, state land, and federal land (excluding military bases and Indian reservations).

Old 06-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
See post #23. Shooting in unincorporated areas of San Bernardino Co. is regulated by county ordnance. Unincorporated areas include county land, state land, and federal land (excluding military bases and Indian reservations).
looks like the hodge road area is in the shotgun only zone. unless i'm reading the map incorrectly.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
looks like the hodge road area is in the shotgun only zone. unless i'm reading the map incorrectly.
Look at the map again. The purple cris/cross area is the shotgun area. West of the 15 it drops below the 40/58. Hodge Rd (west of the 15) is above the shotgun boundary, which extends east from the town of Helendale to the 15.
Then the boundary goes north along the 15 to the 40, east to 247, then south again for approx. 10 miles, and continues east to the 29 Palm Marine Base, follows the north and east boundary of the base, and continues east to the Riverside county line.

Old 06-17-2010, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Based on the map, if Hodge Rd falls in the white area then it's all good (minus the private land portion). If it's in the purple portion then it's shotgun only. It's hard to tell where Hodge Rd is on that map. I usually exit Hodge Rd, make a left, turn right at the gas line marker, and go for about 1m North.

I may work on the weekends you guys are doing this, but will post up if I'm free.

Thanks for planning this!

Last edited by Vtec44; 06-17-2010 at 12:42 PM..
Old 06-17-2010, 11:06 AM

BLM does not regulate the shooting in San Bernardino County. The Board of Supervisors, acting on the recommendation of the County Fish & Game Commission enacts the county ordnance that regulates shooting in the county.
Our commission just finished updating the boundaries for the new county shooting ordnance and map a couple months ago. The new ordnance is now on the Board of Supervisors agenda for approval.
The new ordnance does not change the existing boundaries for the Barstow/Stoddard Wells area. The boundaries are what I described in post #36.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
BLM does not regulate the shooting in San Bernardino County. The Board of Supervisors, acting on the recommendation of the County Fish & Game Commission enacts the county ordnance that regulates shooting in the county.
That's good to know. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2010, 3:18 PM

Default map

Quote:
Our commission just finished updating the boundaries for the new county shooting ordnance and map a couple months ago. The new ordnance is now on the Board of Supervisors agenda for approval.
The new ordnance does not change the existing boundaries for the Barstow/Stoddard Wells area. The boundaries are what I described in post #36.

How would I go about getting one of the updated maps? Thanks