Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions > CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting) This forum is for storing and or easy accessing useful or important threads.

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 6:17 PM

Just got my approval
Old 11-02-2010, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinger View Post
Just got my approval

Sweet! Congrats!

Semper Fi!

Old 11-02-2010, 9:38 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Excellent to hear.

Not that we predicted anything like that...

But Sac is STALL ISSUE! We were always wrong!!!!

Yet, CCW issuance in Sac. Keeps. Getting. Better.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 11-02-2010, 9:43 PM
Banned

BTW happy belated 14,000th post (), Gene.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:35 PM

My son sent an e-mail this morning for an app drop off appointment and was e-mailed back with a couple of hours that the next available time was January 12th.

I was shooting a Glock when shooting a Glock wasn't cool.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Justice View Post
My son sent an e-mail this morning for an app drop off appointment and was e-mailed back with a couple of hours that the next available time was January 12th.
And yet I called in a few weeks ago and got setup for Jan 13th. No call to move up my appt either.

Old 11-03-2010, 1:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugerdaddy View Post
Where? What are the details? That's bad news if true. Gives CCW a bad rep.
Well, here's Idiot #1 : http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=356205

And Idiot #2 happens to be someone that I know (and who knows me) and it would 'not be in my best interests' to out her. As far as the details go, she was "in a hurry" while getting into her car at a local mall parking lot. While rushing to get her bags into the trunk of the SUV, her pancake holster came loose from her belt (which was loose to begin with). As she fumbled with it, she pulled the Glock23 out of the holster and grabbed it while simultaneously putting her finger on the trigger. Long story short, the pistol discharged, causing the 160-grain bullet to travel through the right side of the rear seat, clear through the front passenger seat, the glove box, and the firewall. The bullet was recovered in the engine compartment. This woman's 2 children were at a birthday party that day, and had they NOT been, they would have been at the mall that day with her. The eldest child almost always sits in the right-rear & the youngest always sits shotgun.

*FACTORY-CERTIFIED ARMORER IN SACRAMENTO*http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=393331 GUNS 4 SALE: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=923745 WILSON COMBAT MAGS------ http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=928518
Old 11-03-2010, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonic View Post
Well, here's Idiot #1 : http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=356205

And Idiot #2 happens to be someone that I know (and who knows me) and it would 'not be in my best interests' to out her. As far as the details go, she was "in a hurry" while getting into her car at a local mall parking lot. While rushing to get her bags into the trunk of the SUV, her pancake holster came loose from her belt (which was loose to begin with). As she fumbled with it, she pulled the Glock23 out of the holster and grabbed it while simultaneously putting her finger on the trigger. Long story short, the pistol discharged, causing the 160-grain bullet to travel through the right side of the rear seat, clear through the front passenger seat, the glove box, and the firewall. The bullet was recovered in the engine compartment. This woman's 2 children were at a birthday party that day, and had they NOT been, they would have been at the mall that day with her. The eldest child almost always sits in the right-rear & the youngest always sits shotgun.
this should go in another thread.
Old 11-03-2010, 3:57 PM

Just got my approval letter today as well Cant explain how happy i am right now!!!! Thanks CGF, SAF, Gary, and all the other amazing people who have selflessly fought for our rights and continue fighting.
Old 11-03-2010, 4:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Congrats. I've only heard of one of us here turned down in the last few months so I think most everybody with a clean history should be motivated to apply.

The DOJ says my report was done on 10/23 but SSD apparently doesn't have the certified report yet as I don't have my letter from them telling me to bring my training, etc. information in.
Old 11-03-2010, 5:04 PM

Just got my DOJ clearance letter today. I had the live scan done on October 15th.
Old 11-03-2010, 5:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Traffic Violations?

Did anyone with a recent approval have any traffic violations listed on their application?

I had a "California Stop" in 2008 which I wasn't too worried about. But, I am currently waiting for my vehicle registration to arrive in the mail. It expired while I was renewing on-line, was notified I had to SMOG it (first time on this vehicle, so I wasn't paying attention and overlooked that), and got it SMOGed yesterday. Today, of course, I got pulled over for expired registration, the CHP gave me a "fix-it" ticket which will be cleared before my appointment Nov 18.

Does anyone think these two traffic violations, though minor, might cause a disapproval? Thanks.

"A city's strongest tower of defense is brave men" -Alcaeus
Old 11-03-2010, 5:39 PM

I applied 9-30 with 1 speeding ticket from a year ago and I've not received an approval letter yet.
Old 11-03-2010, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Did anyone with a recent approval have any traffic violations listed on their application?

I had a "California Stop" in 2008 which I wasn't too worried about. But, I am currently waiting for my vehicle registration to arrive in the mail. It expired while I was renewing on-line, was notified I had to SMOG it (first time on this vehicle, so I wasn't paying attention and overlooked that), and got it SMOGed yesterday. Today, of course, I got pulled over for expired registration, the CHP gave me a "fix-it" ticket which will be cleared before my appointment Nov 18.

Does anyone think these two traffic violations, though minor, might cause a disapproval? Thanks.
I'd be surprised if it did.

Semper Fi!

Old 11-03-2010, 6:31 PM

Quote:

This is what the problem seems to be in Placer, so I would be really interested to see what people here in Sac are experiencing. Please don't be shy... if you got a permit and have tickets, let us know!
Old 11-03-2010, 6:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Needless to say. If you get denied for any reason notify Brandon or Gray.
Old 11-03-2010, 6:54 PM

I got an e-mail this morning from Amber saying she had an opening for Dec 16th. Let the process begin...
Old 11-03-2010, 7:19 PM

Got my approval letter today Thanks to ALL for your hard work fighting for our rights.
Old 11-03-2010, 7:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It would be worthwhile, at some point, to close this thread and move the Sacto discussion to the Sacto thread in the CCW forum. Also, we would love to compile an anonymous list of past arrests/convictions which *did not* result in a CCW denial. This would help tremendously in understanding GMC contours at present.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 11-03-2010, 8:13 PM

I had a speeding ticket in nevada county 9/09 which did not prevent me from obtaining an approval.
Old 11-03-2010, 8:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
It would be worthwhile, at some point, to close this thread and move the Sacto discussion to the Sacto thread in the CCW forum. Also, we would love to compile an anonymous list of past arrests/convictions which *did not* result in a CCW denial. This would help tremendously in understanding GMC contours at present.
What Brandon is saying here is of vital importance guys! 'Anonymous' being the key word, as we all know no one here wants their colorful past to be all over the web. However, if all of you that have any issues (no matter how major or insignificant) would just list them - even if it is for an unnamed acquaintance *and an APPROVAL was the result* - you will effectively be helping hundreds, maybe thousands of CCW applicants who are being discriminated against. Right now the Sheriff and his committee are of the belief that if a person has certain arrests 10, 15, or even 20 years in their past (without any convictions, and has NEVER been a prohibited person), that person is apparently incapable of being of good moral character. It is almost akin to a 'permanent black list' and it is unconstitutional. Not to mention it makes good, law-abiding citizens feel 'dirty,' 'guilty,' and causes some to second-guess the way they have been living their lives for so long within the eyes of the law.

*FACTORY-CERTIFIED ARMORER IN SACRAMENTO*http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=393331 GUNS 4 SALE: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=923745 WILSON COMBAT MAGS------ http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=928518
Old 11-03-2010, 9:11 PM

I have my appointment tomorrow morning!
Old 11-03-2010, 9:15 PM

Quote:

the application says to put down any " moving violations" or accidents ? I have a couple fix it tickets but they didnt show on my DMV print out. It only showed how many points I had on my license. Points equal moving violations right?
Old 11-03-2010, 9:38 PM

Hi all, on the Sac Sheriff's Intro Letter to all CCW applicants Amber wrote "Please bring two forms of identification, as well as check or money order..." Do they really ask for a second form of ID other than a valid CA Driver's License? Would like to know before tomorrow morning, please and thanks Calgunners!!

"With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity."
Keshavan Nair
Old 11-03-2010, 9:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Someone else mentioned that the second form of ID was never asked for but I took in my car registration anyways when I went a couple of months ago. It wasn't asked for from me either.
Old 11-03-2010, 9:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samonya View Post
the application says to put down any " moving violations" or accidents ?...
Interesting, I didn't notice that wording. I'll check it out. If that's the case, I won't even list the "fix it". Thanks.

"A city's strongest tower of defense is brave men" -Alcaeus
Old 11-03-2010, 10:31 PM

Hey all, I have my appointment tomorrow with Amber to turn in my application and had one question. I was with some friends one night and we got "busted" trying to relieve ourselves in an alley. We were arrested and released the same night and all charged with malicious mischief, breaking and entering and possession of marijuana (one of my friends had to go #2 and took the fence off the rollers trying to get to a toilet in the back, and some marijuana was found in the glovebox of the car, I was riding shotgun at the time). Anyway, we had to show back up in court before a judge and I can't remember which charges stuck and which were dropped (2 of the 3 were dropped) and we were told that we were on voluntary probation and could not come back to Santa Clara County for at least 2 years. The problem for me is I don't recall if I was 17 or 18, or even if that matters and what 1 charge stuck was. How should I respond to the question on the application regarding my history? I'm 36 now, but I really don't want to be dishonest at all. Should I explain that to Amber, not list anything or ?

Any help would be appreciated on this guys.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Right now the Sheriff and his committee are of the belief that if a person has certain arrests 10, 15, or even 20 years in their past (without any convictions, and has NEVER been a prohibited person), that person is apparently incapable of being of good moral character.
Please define "certain arrests".
Old 11-03-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2shootstuff View Post
Hey all, I have my appointment tomorrow with Amber to turn in my application and had one question. I was with some friends one night and we got "busted" trying to relieve ourselves in an alley. We were arrested and released the same night and all charged with malicious mischief, breaking and entering and possession of marijuana (one of my friends had to go #2 and took the fence off the rollers trying to get to a toilet in the back, and some marijuana was found in the glovebox of the car, I was riding shotgun at the time). Anyway, we had to show back up in court before a judge and I can't remember which charges stuck and which were dropped (2 of the 3 were dropped) and we were told that we were on voluntary probation and could not come back to Santa Clara County for at least 2 years. The problem for me is I don't recall if I was 17 or 18, or even if that matters and what 1 charge stuck was. How should I respond to the question on the application regarding my history? I'm 36 now, but I really don't want to be dishonest at all. Should I explain that to Amber, not list anything or ?

Thanks!

I'd reschedule my appointment and then do the requisite research (which you should've done before you got to this point), so you can put the proper information down. You're going to look like a dope if you try and hash it out with her at her desk.

Semper Fi!

Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 PM

Yeah, I thought about that but didn't know how to go about the process. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
Be honest.
Aside from the fact that you posted your interview date and age, you are going to get a background check done. If it's in your record, it will be found, if it's not in your record, don't worry about it causing a denial.
It was 18 years ago, it was stupid kid stuff and it was non violent. You will have the opportunity to explain your situation during your second interview. Wouldn't it be stupid if being dishonest was the reason you were denied? Good moral character is being honest.

Edit: I agree with the bronze, reschedule and have the info. Why turn in an incomplete app?

Last edited by tiki; 11-03-2010 at 10:52 PM..
Old 11-03-2010, 10:51 PM

That's what I was thinking too Tiki, thanks for the positive words of encouragement. I'll be honest and see where it takes me. Thanks!
Old 11-03-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too Tiki, thanks for the positive words of encouragement. I'll be honest and see where it takes me. Thanks!
You can lead a horse to water...

Make sure you let us know how that works out for you.

Semper Fi!

Old 11-03-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I agreed with thebronze on rescheduling it. :-)
Go get your info first. Don't look silly.

Last edited by tiki; 11-03-2010 at 11:19 PM..
Old 11-04-2010, 4:57 AM

Any suggestions on how I can find out what the charge was? Would I need to pay for a DOJ background check and how do I go about that? Thanks
Old 11-04-2010, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Any suggestions on how I can find out what the charge was? Would I need to pay for a DOJ background check and how do I go about that? Thanks
Google is your friend. Search for California Criminal Records.
Old 11-04-2010, 7:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki View Post
Please define "certain arrests".
Arrests that the Sheriff may decide puts you in the 'bad' moral character category. They can also deny you for whatever reason, then - if / when you appeal said denial - they can change their reason for denial to something completely different if they are determined not to grant you a CCW. It has recently happened.

*EDIT* This is no reason not to apply. It is simply a fact about how an applicant may be scrutinized if there is a past arrest history. The worst that can happen is a denial. Someone here^v has stated that this type of post "scares" people into not applying, which is utterly absurd, not to mention FUD. We are all smarter than that. As far as me "sort of implying" (WTF is THAT?!?)"shadyness" on the part of the SSD, just take that for what it is worth: nothing.

If you are not a 'prohibited person,' by all means apply! If the end result is a denial, contact CGF and/or Brandon Combs. You are backed by good people here & a very solid organization. And keep the donations coming! It's paying off more than we ever dreamed it would.

Last edited by supersonic; 11-06-2010 at 11:38 AM..
Old 11-04-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Arrests that the Sheriff may decide puts you in the 'bad' moral character category. They can also deny you for whatever reason, then - if / when you appeal said denial - they can change their reason for denial to something completely different if they are determined not to grant you a CCW. It has recently happened.
You stated that "Arrests that the Sheriff may decide puts you in the 'bad' moral character category." Well, are you talking about something other than what is already listed on the application?

You are making a blanket statement that sort of implies that you feel there is something shady going on. Well, what arrest are you talking about?

I was hoping your "has recently happened" statement was a link to something that details what has recently happened, but it wasn't. You are making statements that appear to be speculative. This is no different than someone posting that they heard something from someone that said something was going to happen. Tell us what it was and why you believe it contradicts the posted policy.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

The problem is that if you've been arrested, that means you've come into contact with Law Enforcement under less than ideal circumstances. If you've been arrested, cited, whatever, and it's been recorded as a contact, that all can paint a picture of someone who isn't predisposed to following the rules... and if you can't follow the rules, then what's to say you won't cause problems while carrying a firearm?

I would imagine that is what a Sheriff will look at when determining if you're a person of "good moral character".
Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSDGuy View Post
The problem is that if you've been arrested, that means you've come into contact with Law Enforcement under less than ideal circumstances. If you've been arrested, cited, whatever, and it's been recorded as a contact, that all can paint a picture of someone who isn't predisposed to following the rules... and if you can't follow the rules, then what's to say you won't cause problems while carrying a firearm?

I would imagine that is what a Sheriff will look at when determining if you're a person of "good moral character".
Yeah but just because you've been detained doesn't necessarily mean you were guilty of the crime. Perhaps one was wrongfully detained and or exonerated.