Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions > CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting) This forum is for storing and or easy accessing useful or important threads.

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 8:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Look I'm not trying to be argumenative about the process but I thought with the information given on the application and SSN that they could pull up quite a bit of information on you pretty quickly, at least for California. And since we have no idea of why applications are out of order, is it slightly possible they might cherry pick the easier ones since they are getting backed up?
Old 09-10-2010, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

Is is possible that they're cherrypicking? Yes. Absent evidence to the contrary, it's definitely possible. My understanding is that they want those certificates to show firearms familiarity, or something along those lines. I was asked how often I go shooting, per year, for instance.
Old 09-10-2010, 9:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSDGuy View Post
Is is possible that they're cherrypicking? Yes. Absent evidence to the contrary, it's definitely possible. My understanding is that they want those certificates to show firearms familiarity, or something along those lines. I was asked how often I go shooting, per year, for instance.

I guess I should have explained how the Exposed Firearm Permit requires the same amount of training, by some of the same instructors with probably a few changes to differ CCW vs. Security, get Live Scanned and shoot the same qualification (I have qualified next to the CCW guys often) and even the permit looks the same which is the cheap green paper.
Old 09-10-2010, 9:54 PM

Quote:
While that's probably true (in re: proof of firearms familiarity) it doesn't explain the disparity in how apps are processed. Nothing happens between the time an app is turned in and the phone interview is done. All of the checks/investigations happen post-interview, AFAIK.

Why are some apps processed quickly and some slowly?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebronze View Post
While that's probably true (in re: proof of firearms familiarity) it doesn't explain the disparity in how apps are processed. Nothing happens between the time an app is turned in and the phone interview is done. All of the checks/investigations happen post-interview, AFAIK.

Why are some apps processed quickly and some slowly?

Let's say that they look at the first page of the application to check who has current CCW's and who does not, it may make their investigation a bit quicker to process the people who already have a current license or permit since they had a background check on them done semi-recently. It's just a possibility.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Better yet, maybe it's in alphabetical order and my name starts with an A
Old 09-10-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
Let's say that they look at the first page of the application to check who has current CCW's and who does not, it may make their investigation a bit quicker to process the people who already have a current license or permit since they had a background check on them done semi-recently. It's just a possibility.
That would assume there's a method to their madness. I think that's being too kind. I don't think they have one.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Then I'll consider my potentially quick processing pure luck
Old 09-10-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
Then I'll consider my potentially quick processing pure luck

Based on the information available, I think that's true. But good on ya.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Because SSD's process for getting these is AFU. There isn't any orderly/fair way that they're processing these things. I turned my app in at the end of the end of July and still haven't had my phone interview and yet someone that turned their app in three weeks after me, had their interview two weeks ago. I also know of a guy that turned his app in in Jan, was approved in April and cleared DOJ in May and still doesn't have his permit in hand.
Pretty far from seamless. If you're one of the few that it's gone well for, consider yourself very lucky.

But you're right about Amber.
Part in bold-I want to ask something. Are you saying that he got his approval letter from Sac Sheriff in April and did his livescan and passed that in May? Has your friend then taken his mandatory 16 hour course and passed that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
Testicles of steel, bladder of titanium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceflinch View Post
F the World Bank
F the UN &
F Obama

Sacramento Community Chapter Social Group... Join Here!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Since Amber is well aware of some of these delays, I'm a little puzzled why she told me on 9/2 that I should receive my call in 7 days, maybe 10 days because of the holiday. I wasn't holding my breath on that, though, and haven't had my call yet.

I had a training course 20 years ago that followed POST guidelines. Is that something that should get mentioned somewhere along the lines? I have yet to start my CCW training yet and am not in shape for that right now due to some recent injuries.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMama View Post
Part in bold-I want to ask something. Are you saying that he got his approval letter from Sac Sheriff in April and did his livescan and passed that in May? Has your friend then taken his mandatory 16 hour course and passed that?
Yes. He's done everything he needed to do.

Last edited by thebronze; 09-10-2010 at 10:35 PM..
Old 09-10-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger007 View Post
Since Amber is well aware of some of these delays, I'm a little puzzled why she told me on 9/2 that I should receive my call in 7 days, maybe 10 days because of the holiday. I wasn't holding my breath on that, though, and haven't had my call yet.

I had a training course 20 years ago that followed POST guidelines. Is that something that should get mentioned somewhere along the lines? I have yet to start my CCW training yet and am not in shape for that right now due to some recent injuries.
Same here. When I turned mine in at the end of July, she said I'd receive the call that next week. Still no call....
Old 09-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That would assume there's a method to their madness. I think that's being too kind. I don't think they have one.
You might be right about that...

Then again, perhaps they want to be more careful about issuing CCW's to folks that have the guard card + exposed firearms permit because that plus CCW = EP job possibilities. Greater earning potential.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Same here. When I turned mine in at the end of July, she said I'd receive the call that next week. Still no call....
I turned mine in and was told a week, and it was just shy of 2 weeks. Who knows how or why they choose who they choose to call and when...
Old 09-11-2010, 6:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You might be right about that...

Then again, perhaps they want to be more careful about issuing CCW's to folks that have the guard card + exposed firearms permit because that plus CCW = EP job possibilities. Greater earning potential.
That doesn't matter. A denial is a denial, and they don't want to deny people, lest they potentially join up with the Sykes litigation.
Old 09-11-2010, 9:50 AM
Veteran Member

Gray, I didn't say they'd deny... just perhaps they want to be more careful about it or find appropriate restriction wording so that the new CCW holder won't be able to use (or severely discouraged from using) the CCW for work purposes.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Gray, I didn't say they'd deny... just perhaps they want to be more careful about it or find appropriate restriction wording so that the new CCW holder won't be able to use (or severely discouraged from using) the CCW for work purposes.
It doesn't matter.
Old 09-12-2010, 9:24 PM

Could anyone clarify exactly what needs to be done after approval letter is received and training +range qualification is complete?

My instructor said that instructions are on the approval letter, but that is not the case. He said the paperwork can be dropped off with Amber Wong on Tuesdays 9-11am, so I will try to call and confirm tomorrow.

My wife is having eye surgery Monday and has a follow-up appointment Tuesday right in the middle of that time window. Wife comes first, but sure would love to get this process completed!
Old 09-13-2010, 8:36 AM

BTT
Old 09-13-2010, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I got the same line. The actual wait time, at least in my case and at least one other one here, was just shy of 30 days from when you drop your packet w/ Amber and when you get the interview call.
Old 09-13-2010, 6:53 PM
Veteran Member

Apparently you have to go in on Tuesdays to turn in your stuff. No one had told me that and I have emailed Amber twice to try and figure out what to do next. Glad CG is here for me, cause apparently no one from the Sheriffs office is. I just show up and turn in stuff to her?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Excuse me, I didn't realize you were posting from a Unabomer shack deep in the Angeles National Forest. Are you stirring coconuts, a la Gilligan's Island, to power that lap top?
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Bring in a bullet button and a mop. Ask him if he knows which is which.
Old 09-13-2010, 7:23 PM

I thought things were going good with permits being issued??? Sounds like more are getting out but it looks like a lot of folks are getting delayed for one reason or another. It seems obvious that Amber, well intended or not, needs some help.
Old 09-13-2010, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret Daniels View Post
I thought things were going good with permits being issued??? Sounds like more are getting out but it looks like a lot of folks are getting delayed for one reason or another. It seems obvious that Amber, well intended or not, needs some help.
Bret, I'm very sure that's true as I'm sure they're inundated with CCW apps.

As I stated earlier, there's no reason for the disparity in apps (people getting quick interviews vs. taking forever to get one.). There is no rational reason why it takes almost seven weeks to get an interview, when people turning theirs in after (when even more people have applied) get an interview within two weeks.

While I'm VERY glad that SSD is finally issuing, their system of issuance seems completely broken and not fair to all applicants.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I received my interview call today, 14 days after I submitted my application. It was brief and the Detective Wright was pleasant. I mentioned to him that there were some at CG that had question the method in calling applicants since some had reported waiting much longer than others. He told me that he handles all of the interviews and that his the oldest application on his desk right now is from 8/5 and that is because he had called the applicant but they had not called back. The next oldest application is from 8/26. He said he thought he knew who I was talking about when I said someone had reported waiting for quite a while and he said he had spoken to that applicant today. Was that you, thebronze?

The detective also said my application would be acted upon as soon as they have a third member for their committee.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Banned

And that third member will be selected in...
Old 09-16-2010, 4:44 AM

Quote:
I received my interview call today, 14 days after I submitted my application. It was brief and the Detective Wright was pleasant. I mentioned to him that there were some at CG that had question the method in calling applicants since some had reported waiting much longer than others. He told me that he handles all of the interviews and that his the oldest application on his desk right now is from 8/5 and that is because he had called the applicant but they had not called back. The next oldest application is from 8/26. He said he thought he knew who I was talking about when I said someone had reported waiting for quite a while and he said he had spoken to that applicant today. Was that you, thebronze?

The detective also said my application would be acted upon as soon as they have a third member for their committee.
No, that wasn't me. But I did finally have my interview this week (almost 7 weeks). He was correct when he gave you the information he gave you, because I had already had my interview at that point. I haven't wanted to give any info post-interview because of my criticism of SSD's process, so as not to have it effect my application (although I've probably given enough info that it wouldn't be too difficult if someone wanted to connect the dots).

Everyone else's narrative of their interview, jibed with mine.
Old 09-16-2010, 4:57 AM
Veteran Member

Default requirments

I think you need to be able to show you have a pet pig that can fly and you can shoot flames out of your butt at a moving target at 100 meters lol.
Old 09-16-2010, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
I think you need to be able to show you have a pet pig that can fly and you can shoot flames out of your butt at a moving target at 100 meters lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Sacramento would declare martial law sooner than they'd meet with Gandhi, Gautama Budda, and Jesus Christ if the three were packing heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Even people not from San Francisco can appreciate a good public spanking like this.
WANTED: G19. New or near new condition in Sacramento area.
Old 09-16-2010, 8:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No, that wasn't me. But I did finally have my interview this week (almost 7 weeks). He was correct when he gave you the information he gave you, because I had already had my interview at that point. I haven't wanted to give any info post-interview because of my criticism of SSD's process, so as not to have it effect my application (although I've probably given enough info that it wouldn't be too difficult if someone wanted to connect the dots).

Everyone else's narrative of their interview, jibed with mine.
I wonder why people are worried that exercising their 1st amendment right will result in retaliation on a state license.

Dorr v. Weber
Old 09-16-2010, 9:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Wait a minute... we're waiting on them to find another member for the committee? He never told me that. Dangit I was expecting my approval at the end of the month. That sucks. What recourse do we have if they drag this out past 90 days?
Old 09-16-2010, 9:23 AM

Default post interview

Had my interview a well and said they were waiting also on getting that comitee member, I used work in my GC as well as personal protection during recreation with family and was wondering.....Can the SSO or has anyone who has received permit lately encountered restrictions put on permit like....as in "you can CCW at job, but not any other time"?????
Old 09-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

I received a letter on Tuesday saying my fingerprints had cleared and to come into the Sheriffs office with all my paperwork for Amber on a Tuesday between 9-11am. I guess I sign off on final paperwork, hand her my range qualification stuff, and then in about a week she mails my permit to me. Not sure why she would have to wait a week if all my stuff is signed off and cleared, but just another waiting game. So I guess if I go in next Tuesday, I should have it by September 28ish. I would think I'd have it at least by October!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Excuse me, I didn't realize you were posting from a Unabomer shack deep in the Angeles National Forest. Are you stirring coconuts, a la Gilligan's Island, to power that lap top?
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Bring in a bullet button and a mop. Ask him if he knows which is which.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sactech View Post
Had my interview a well and said they were waiting also on getting that comitee member, I used work in my GC as well as personal protection during recreation with family and was wondering.....Can the SSO or has anyone who has received permit lately encountered restrictions put on permit like....as in "you can CCW at job, but not any other time"?????
Did you get a license like this? Did anyone else that you knew who applied?

Spill.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
Did you get a license like this? Did anyone else that you knew who applied?

Spill.
I have not received my license yet and dont personally know anyone who has received a restricted CCW, i just read on a few boards that they did.....not sure though; that was the reason I was asking. maybe im just being a worry wart, and anticipating my letter of approval/denial.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyourmile View Post
I received a letter on Tuesday saying my fingerprints had cleared and to come into the Sheriffs office with all my paperwork for Amber on a Tuesday between 9-11am. I guess I sign off on final paperwork, hand her my range qualification stuff, and then in about a week she mails my permit to me. Not sure why she would have to wait a week if all my stuff is signed off and cleared, but just another waiting game. So I guess if I go in next Tuesday, I should have it by September 28ish. I would think I'd have it at least by October!
How long ago did you have your phone interview? I had mine last week and am waiting on my letter of appoval/denial in mail.
Old 09-16-2010, 4:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6ATF View Post
BINGO
Old 09-16-2010, 7:07 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6ATF View Post
An amount of time necessary to keep a federal lawsuit at bay...

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 09-16-2010, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
An amount of time necessary to keep a federal lawsuit at bay...

-Gene
Damn, Gene. Tell them how you really feel.

Quote:
Sacramento would declare martial law sooner than they'd meet with Gandhi, Gautama Budda, and Jesus Christ if the three were packing heat.
Quote:
Even people not from San Francisco can appreciate a good public spanking like this.
Old 09-16-2010, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyourmile View Post
I'll see you Tuesday, got my letter today. I'll miss having my permit for the GRPC by a week, dang it.

Quote:
Quote:
Closed Thread