Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 03-21-2006, 6:22 AM
Banned

Default Home defense

I'm looking for a shotgun that I can use for home defense. I'd like to know if anybody has any suggestions on what I should buy. I'm by no means an expert in the realm of firearms, so I thought I'd ask here. A handgun is not an option for me, as I am not 21. Also, I cannot afford to spend more than $500.

Can anybody help me?
Old 03-21-2006, 6:47 AM

I think everyone would agree when I say the remington 870 check the other threads this has been discussed good luck
Old 03-21-2006, 7:06 AM
Banned

Thanks, I was looking at that one as well as the Benelli Nova Tactical Pump. Do you have any opinion on that particular shotgun? Maybe I'm stupid for going for aesthetic appeal, but I like the looks of the Benelli. It just looks scarier to me.
Old 03-21-2006, 8:36 AM
glen avon

Quote:
Originally Posted by denalion22
I think everyone would agree when I say the remington 870 check the other threads this has been discussed good luck
I would not agree. Mossberg got the military contract, not remington.

get a mossberg combo, both barrels for the cost of the 870.

nothing wrong with the 870, for sure, but the mossy is just as good and a much better value.
Old 03-21-2006, 8:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen avon

nothing wrong with the 870, for sure, but the mossy is just as good and a much better value.

I've got nothing against Mossberg, and nothing special for the 870, but..

The Beretta 9mm got the contract too, and they're looking for a replacement because they made a mistake.

The 870 is so widely used by law enforcement over so many years that you almost have to place it above the Mossy on that alone. Who really cares if you get another barrel for the Mossy? we're talking about $300, not my Benelli M1014. Since his budget is $500, he could get an 870 HD gun, then in a few weeks buy another type if he wants one. More is better.

In other words, if you want a good HD shotgun, get one, those models are cheap, and if you want a longer barrel, get another shotgun, I personally wouldn't want a longer barreled pump, so I would never use the extra barrel on the Mossberg.

Last edited by TonyM; 03-21-2006 at 8:49 AM..
Old 03-21-2006, 8:58 AM

Mossberg is a real deal/steal with their combo deal (comes with 18"bbl and 26"bbl)) setup at Big 5 ($239 and under). Plus extra bbls are real cheap on ebay and such. This budget brawler will serve you well...

That said, i would spend the extra $60 or so for the remmy express HD or find a used wingmaster or police model. I think its more than a touch nicer(than the mossy).... Personally, when i faced the choice for favorite HD shotty, a reg. 870 express fit the bill (i prefer the lighter bbl than on the police model)- and this 870 is 100% proven to me, from clay to paper, head to toe (and yes, have both mossy and remmy)-

The fact that the military went with the lowest bidding contractor doesnt mean we all have to
Old 03-21-2006, 9:24 AM

Correct me if I am wrong here but isn't the mossy that won the contract different than the 500 combos sold at Big5? I thought the Mossberg 590A1 is the unit that won the contract. It has a thicker barrel, 8+1 and a bayo lug...

Not trying to discount mossberg (I have a combo) but I do believe that the version for sale at Big 5 and the mossy that won the contract with the military are two similar but different weapons.

I was sort of bummed to find out that the remington 870 has a magazine tube extension available while the mossberg does not. Although with either you can purchase a knoxx industries kit ($200-$250) that will allow you to interchange their proprietary 6 or 10 magazines.

All this being said get the one you like the best or just go and buy both
Old 03-21-2006, 12:21 PM

Mossberg has its 590 used by the military. The Remington 870 is widely used by law enforcement. You'll find the mossberg 500 will do the job as will the Remington 870. It becomes a preference choice after that. The moss holds a little more than the 870 but the 870 has some heft to it to absorb the recoil and feels less "clanky" than the moss 500. Both have a wide aftermarket array of stocks and accessories. If I could have just one shotgun it would be the Remington 870. You might also want to consider the Winchester 1300 Defender. Choices, choices.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Remington didn't get the contract because they didn't enter. Their police contracts could be in jeopardy if they lost. Winchester got underbid.

Nobody underbids mossberg.

The military version has a metal trigger guard and thicker barrel than the Big 5 version. Folks at the tactictal shotgun forum of shotgunworld.com have had trouble ordering the military version, so you may not have the option of getting a mil-spec mossberg.
Old 03-21-2006, 1:45 PM

Quote:

To be honest with you the mossberg makes a great product but the remington 870 is far superior over the mossberg. I mean for christ sake the military will use anything that is cheap, and we can thank the lovely liberals for that. The military just signed a new pistol contract with Ruger. Yes Ruger I would rather use a knife to protect myself then a Ruger, maybe I am a little superficial about the guns that I own. Whatever it is all personal preference. But I say Remington 870 all the way unless you want to spend alot of money for the benelli M1014 AKA M4. I know you said the Benelli is more scary, but I think My 870 is pretty damn scary, Sh*t I think any shotgun staring me in the face is scary

here is a pic of my 870

Last edited by denalion22; 03-22-2006 at 12:43 PM..
Old 03-22-2006, 1:04 AM

Quote:
To be honest with you the mossberg makes a great product but the remington 870 is far superior over the mossberg. I mean for christ sake the military will use anything that is cheap, and we can thank the lovely liberals for that. The military just signed a new pistol contract with Ruger. Yes Ruger I would rather use a knife to protect myself then a Ruger, maybe I am a little superficial about the guns that I own. Whatever it is all personal preference. But I say Remington 870 all the way unless you want to spend alot of money for the benelli M1014 AKA M1. I know you said the Benelli is more scary, but I think My 870 is pretty damn scary, Sh*t I think any shotgun staring me in the face is scary

here is a pic of my 870
How heavy is your shotgun?

ETA:Now that I think about it you have around $2000 invested on that gun, right?

Last edited by Pablo; 03-22-2006 at 1:07 AM..
Old 03-22-2006, 1:19 AM
Banned

Well, it appears the Remington 870 is the preferred shotgun among the majority of you, so I think I will go with that route. Thanks to those of you who have given me your input, it's appreciated.

I just have one more question. What is the minimum barrel length for a shotgun? I'm thinking it's 18" but I just want to make sure.
Old 03-22-2006, 3:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
I would rather use a knife to protect myself then a Ruger

that sounds great you pick any knife you want and i will take the rugar. I gaurentee you will be lying in a pool of blood and i will have a new knife sure they are not all that accurate but i have about 2500 rds through my mini14 with no jams or misfires andabout 2k through my mini30 and the only jams i had were cheep 50rnd mag related. hell my mark77 in .300 win mag is hole for hole at 200m. maby i just like rugar caus my dad gave me a 10/22 when I was 14 and i still love it. anyway back on topic

i have a mosburg 500a, I got it on gunbroker (ebay is very anti gun) for about $200 shiped. and yes the 870 is a much beter gun but remember leo's use these things every day, you won't. the best part of a pump gun is that the crack of chambering a shell will leave most criminals running away with dirty underware. I am very happy with my mosburg but get a pump and PRACTICE with it. be comfortable with it. know the safety. put a bunch of rounds through it
Old 03-22-2006, 3:29 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Eh, I'm a happy M590A1 user - I've never had a failure out of it. I believe I have $470 in this shotgun, all told - $60 of it on the ATI stock and $10 on the shell holder.

I'm curious what the 870 has that the 590 doesn't. Is it just a 'feel' thing, or are there documented mechanical issues or something?
Old 03-22-2006, 4:56 AM

depends on your price the chinese make a great knock off of the 870 called the Parder. turners has them for about 175.00 If you have a lil more cash get the Mossberg 500. Big 5 has them for about 239 to 250.00. that is the best bang for your buck. I have a moss 500 and a rem 870. i like shooting the mossberg better. the 870 sits in my safe.
Old 03-22-2006, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo
How heavy is your shotgun?

ETA:Now that I think about it you have around $2000 invested on that gun, right?
It is not all that heavy. I mean dont get me wrong it is not super light but it is nto super heavy either.
Old 03-22-2006, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filefish
that sounds great you pick any knife you want and i will take the rugar. I gaurentee you will be lying in a pool of blood and i will have a new knife sure they are not all that accurate but i have about 2500 rds through my mini14 with no jams or misfires andabout 2k through my mini30 and the only jams i had were cheep 50rnd mag related. hell my mark77 in .300 win mag is hole for hole at 200m. maby i just like rugar caus my dad gave me a 10/22 when I was 14 and i still love it. anyway back on topic

i have a mosburg 500a, I got it on gunbroker (ebay is very anti gun) for about $200 shiped. and yes the 870 is a much beter gun but remember leo's use these things every day, you won't. the best part of a pump gun is that the crack of chambering a shell will leave most criminals running away with dirty underware. I am very happy with my mosburg but get a pump and PRACTICE with it. be comfortable with it. know the safety. put a bunch of rounds through it

I think you know what I was getting at. I just feel that the military does not look for quality, they look for a price tag, which is very unfortunate. Do to the fact our men and woman are out on the front lines everyday with crap, rather then the best equipment they are entitled too. Anyway No offense to you, but like you said personal prefrence.
Old 03-22-2006, 9:38 AM

Seriously, swing by the Big 5 on the weekends and try to catch a sale there. Also hold the shotguns too and see which feels best. You can usually grab the Mossy 500 for $219, the Remington for $260, and the Winchester somewhere in between those prices. Thats of course when they're on sale.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:05 AM
glen avon

Quote:
I think you know what I was getting at. I just feel that the military does not look for quality,...
not true, they have very stringent quality specs.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:39 PM

Quote:
not true, they have very stringent quality specs.
I guess that is a matter of opinion! But I have several friends that are in the military and the crap they have is horrible, and this is why I have sent three of them three different complete uppers 2 M4 and 1 SPR. Anyway this is something that we can go back and forth with. I choose to end it here and agree to disagree. I hope that we can both come to that conclusion
Old 03-22-2006, 5:31 PM

870, try looking around for a police trade in. By the way the military has used many different shotguns including the 870.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:18 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammaton76
I'm curious what the 870 has that the 590 doesn't. Is it just a 'feel' thing, or are there documented mechanical issues or something?
870 has a steel receiver, that's the main difference.

Back in the day, Mossberg 500s used a single action bar. This was a very poor design that encouraged the pump to wobble on the way back and bend the action bar. Gave Mossberg a bad name for quality that they have had trouble living down, even long after they went to a dual action bar set-up.

When you pick up an 870, it is very heavy compared to a Mossberg. Most of us equate weight with solid construction, though in this case it's really simply a choice of materials (steel vs aluminum).

I prefer the 870, because I prefer the heavier weapon. Any tangible differences in quality between the 870 and the 500 are covered by the almost $100 difference in price, but the Mossberg is still a perfectly satisfactory pump shotgun, and indeed a great value.
Old 03-24-2006, 7:06 PM

i like my mossberg mariner 870's are ok
Old 03-29-2006, 9:21 PM

Benelli Nova owner chiming in here.

I really like my Nova, but there are drawbacks. I've got the 18.5" tactical with ghost ring sites and the mag extension. At this point I've spent around $400 on it total, +/- $20 because I don't remember the various fees involved.

I think the Nova is the best base model shotgun around for the price. I mean how can you go wrong with ghost ring sites standard? However, the base model only has a 4 round tube, and 4+1 doesn't cut it for home defense IMO. With the mag extension, I'm up to 7+1 like everyone else (with 2.75" shells, that is).

And then there's the really important fact that you can't replace the stock. I *like* the monte-carlo stock it has. But there's no such thing as a folding-stock for a Nova and there never will be (unless some serious redneck gunsmithing is involved).

Finally, there just aren't that many accessories for the Nova. The recoil reducer is kinda cool, but not really necessary unless you plan on using 3.5" shells for home defense . But when it comes to side saddles, tac-lights integrated into the foregrip, etc. your choices are limited to non-existant.

If I had it to do over again... well I'd still get the Nova, probably. But I'll buy a Vang Comp 870 long before I accessorize my Nova any further.