Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-17-2006, 9:29 AM

Thumbs up Taurus PT-145 Range Report

I thought some of you might be interested in my review of the Taurus PT-145 in .45 ACP. I purchased this on-sale at Turner's last month and have put a little under 100 rounds through it at this point. Here's my Pros/Cons:

Pros:
  • .45 ACP: Magazine holds 10-rounds and I wanted something for CCW with more punch than a 9mm.
  • Lightweight/Size: This gun is actually smaller overall than my Glock 19 which I like to CCW with. It has a polymer frame as you can see.
  • Accuracy: As I bought this for a close-up defensive handgun from a CCW position, my range tests were at 7, 10 & 15 yards. Accuracy was better than I read as I was able to generally hit the 8" circle plates from the 7 & 10 yard distance, and easily rapid fire double-taps at 15 at a IPSC-size target with good hits.
  • Reliability: No malfunctions so far of ANY kind.
  • Safety: Manual safety. This was a big issue with my friend's Kahr as he didn't like not having a manual safety on it and now he is looking into this Taurus.

Cons
  • Magazine release: Perhaps it was my hand grip, but during one set, I was gripping the frame in such a way as to put enough pressure on the magazine release button to jettison the mag. An HK USP type mag release would be preferred on this pistol.
  • DAO (Double Action Only): I had never owned a DAO pistol til this one, and only fired a Kahr DAO recently. The trigger pull is LONG, but didn't seem to effect my accuracy. I would prefer a Glock type trigger (as I'm a long time Glock shooter.)
  • Spare Magazine Cost: Spare mags run $30+; twice as much as Glocks but I guess on average for most other manufacturer's magazines at full retail price.

Overall Review

I think this is a serious possiblity for an inexpensive, 45ACP CCW gun for close defensive shooting. Pros are more than Cons, with Cons being of minor importance depending. YMMV. Other PT-145 owners, please post your comments.

F.A.S. Out

Last edited by Forever-A-Soldier; 03-17-2006 at 9:33 AM..
Old 03-17-2006, 10:25 AM

i have bought this gun also from turners last month for the price and what it is its not bad at all.

i shot it at the range a few times and i like it..very nice for how compact it is.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever-A-Soldier[*
Magazine release: Perhaps it was my hand grip, but during one set, I was gripping the frame in such a way as to put enough pressure on the magazine release button to jettison the mag.

F.A.S. Out
Thanks for the review.

Would you say that your hand/glove size is medium, large, or extra large?

-tseth
Old 03-17-2006, 10:52 AM

I have a PT-111 that's on my CCW and I don't carry it any more and never will.

Why? The very same reason you described above.

I have carried it perhapps 20 times in a Kydex holster and a few times "mexican carry" and when i had gone to take it out and secure it after a days carry I find that the magazine release had been pressed at some point in the day about 50% of the time. The magazine is not lost from the pistol, but if i were to NEED the weapon, I would present it, fire once and the magazine would fall out durring recoil. My assesment of this is "NOT GOOD". I've heard others with the same problem. I suppose that a differant holster might cure the problem, but I'm not willing to spend time trying to fix a weapons flaw that I have to stake my life on.

Other than that and the long, stiff trigger pull, it's a nice weapon. I just won't put my life on the line with it.

Just my 2 cents. I hope it helps someone.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:57 AM

Be careful as I have read reviews that the frame is prone to cracking especially in the 45 models. Not so common in the PT140 and rarely in the PT111. When it came time to getting it repaired Taurus gave them a hard time. It is a the perfect power punch for conceal carry but not the best range gun IMO. The fact that it carries 10 rounds of .45 makes this gun worth taking the risk, just don't expect to shoot it every weekend.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the review.

-tseth
My hands are about a medium size.

F.A.S. Out
Old 03-17-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asintado
Be careful as I have read reviews that the frame is prone to cracking especially in the 45 models. Not so common in the PT140 and rarely in the PT111. When it came time to getting it repaired Taurus gave them a hard time. It is a the perfect power punch for conceal carry but not the best range gun IMO. The fact that it carries 10 rounds of .45 makes this gun worth taking the risk, just don't expect to shoot it every weekend.

Sorry for the caps but, THE FRAME CRACKING WAS ON THE OLD PT-145 MILLENNIUMS AND NOT THE NEW PT-145 MILLENNIUM PROS Please in the future, get your guns straight.

As for the gun, I picked up my new PT145 MilPro yesterday. I am really impressed with it so far, though the frame and the barrel are thin compared to other poly guns I have owned or handled. It does not feel cheap by any sense of the word though, but it is a really light gun to hold.

The fit and finish are excellent, but I did have to clean metal and grit out of the action. I dont know what it is about Taurus, but every gun that I have owned from them has grit left over from manufacturing for some reason.

Take down is a bit of a pain, being the instructions tell you to push the retaining pin out from the other side of the gun, but there is no access there. Must be old instructions from the non pros. To get the pin out, you have to pry it up. I use the feed lips of a mag, and it came out without a problem. Getting the slide off was strange too. You have to push it forward until is sticks, then pull the trigger and keep pulling the slide off. You get used to it, but at first, it is nothing short of WTF?

There where no instructions for breaking down the mags, but a little prying with a screw driver in the slot to pry the base plate back worked wonders.

I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but over the weekend, I plan on spending some time at the range to try it out.
Old 03-17-2006, 2:17 PM

For the money you pay a gun shouldn't malfunction like that at all. Fixing the problem doesn't make everything OK for the manufacturer. If you have access to testing and engineering capabilities like Taurus does then there's no excuse.
Old 03-17-2006, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseth
Thanks for the review.

-tseth

I have large hands and the girp is still comfortable, but I would not like to go any smaller.
Old 03-17-2006, 2:34 PM

Quote:
For the money you pay a gun shouldn't malfunction like that at all. Fixing the problem doesn't make everything OK for the manufacturer. If you have access to testing and engineering capabilities like Taurus does then there's no excuse.

Yes, and the recall on Glocks when they had rails shearing off during use reflects poorly on Glock as well. Should I tell you about the time I had to send my XD back to SA for a chipped locking block, or the other parts I had to replace on it?

Taurus had trouble with the old PT145s, but the new MilPros are a complete redesign based off of the 24/7. They have been out for years now, and there is little problem with them, as much as any other gun out there.

If I do have trouble with mine though, surely post about it.
Old 03-18-2006, 7:03 PM

Quote:
The fact that it carries 10 rounds of .45 makes this gun worth taking the risk, just don't expect to shoot it every weekend.
You go ahead and risk YOUR life on it because it holds 10 rounds. Mine only holds one if the 10 round magazine keeps falling out. I'd rather have a derringer. it holds 2 rounds. If it's not 100% reliable under the circumstances you expect to be in, then it's not worth carrying. I've had many 100% weapons, they DO exist. What bothers me is that it's not an isolated occurance, I understand those. There is no MANUFACTURER that's 100%, only the particular weapon. My PT111 is not.
Old 03-18-2006, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd457
You go ahead and risk YOUR life on it because it holds 10 rounds. Mine only holds one if the 10 round magazine keeps falling out. I'd rather have a derringer. it holds 2 rounds. If it's not 100% reliable under the circumstances you expect to be in, then it's not worth carrying. I've had many 100% weapons, they DO exist. What bothers me is that it's not an isolated occurance, I understand those. There is no MANUFACTURER that's 100%, only the particular weapon. My PT111 is not.

I shot my PT145 both two handed, off handed and one handed today and it has no issues with dropping the mag, though I have not carried it in a holster as of yet. It sounds like user error to me, just like the 1911 crew pushing up the slide lock on some guns. It takes practice to use anything proficiently. After all, practice makes perfect.
Old 03-18-2006, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd457
I'm only pointing out that it's hard to find a gun of that caliber as compact as the PT145 with that much capacity. To some people that's more than they can get out of any other gun out on the market. But then again you have to weigh those advantages with the cons of the weapon such as size, recoil, and operations issues.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:27 PM

i have a shoulder holster i use and i have never had a problem with the magazine falling out or anything.. no problems with it when iam shooting either.
Old 03-19-2006, 4:56 AM

Great report, I've had similar results with my PT145. I bought mine because it was the cheapest compact 45 I'd ever seen. I had never owned a Taurus pistol before.
It's been about a year now and a couple thousand rounds downrange and never had a single malfunction.
I carry it when I travel or when I am doing yard work etc. Basically anytime I would be concerned about damaging or potentially losing (checked baggage) my weapon. I'd much rather replace a $300 pistol than a $800 CDP.

One point of note, I had a Glock 30 which also holds 10 in the mag but I sold it after the PT145 proved reliable. The PT is substantially smaller than the G30 and is even more accurate in my hands.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTuffPaws
It sounds like user error to me, just like the 1911 crew pushing up the slide lock on some guns. It takes practice to use anything proficiently. After all, practice makes perfect.
It's not user ERROR, it's design error. Either in the mag release or the holster. It's hard to create "user error" when it's just in the holster on my waist. That's like saying guns go off by themselves when they're just sitting on the table. During my everyday movements (sitting, getting in and out of cars, etc) the magazine release gets pushed. It's not pushed during presentation I assure you.

I would consider that it's an issue with me or my one weapon if it only happens to me, but I've heard of others having the same problem and it was even posted by another earlier in this thread.

I can't argue with the cost/firepower issue. That's why I bought mine.
I can't argue with reliability either. Never a missfire or hick-up.

I just don't trust my life to mine. Anybody want to buy it?
Old 03-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

i shot a guys at the range one time, it just didnt fit too well in my hand. i was glad to blow off 10 rounds of his if it wasnt for the fact that it jammed on the 3rd round, over and over and over...he said he needed it too carry when at the club which raised big alarms in my head but then he said he was a security guard (he sure looked like it!) the funny thing is when he could barely hit the paper at 7 yards and i picked it up and put all 10 (except the 3rd) right through the head. theres another twist that ive been wanting to tell you guys for awhile but dont think im going to yet...
Old 03-20-2006, 2:04 PM

Well, this last weekend, I went to the range and put 100 rounds down range. 50 CCI Blazer Brass and 50 CCI Blazer Al. No problems feeding or ejecting at all. Had one light strike on one of the Blazer Al, but comparing the primer strikes to the other casings that I shot, it looked like a abnormally hard primer. Went off the sencond time through though. (I love CCI. If your gun can shoot them, you will never have trouble with light strikes.)

Funny thing is that my wife shooting my XD9 and Buckmark had one FTE on each gun, go figure.

What really impressed me was the lack of recoil with 230gr rounds. It was like shooting my XD9.

Being out of pratice and amped on coffee, my trigger work was bad, so my groups suffered, but everything landed on the paper with in a 2 foot group at 15 yards.

All in all, I am really happy with the little gun.
Old 02-03-2009, 8:22 PM

Thumbs up

Howdy from Texas, I found your forum by Googling for the Taurus PT145, so I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

I have owned a PT145 for a couple of years now, and overall I'd say it's a good handgun for the money. It's small and compact, easily concealed (I use a Bianchi 105 "Minimalist" holster in the small of my back) and I like the fact it holds 11 (10+1) rounds of .45 ACP. I've never had any problems with the magazine ejecting with the Bianchi 105 holster. My accuracy with it is definitely acceptable for short-range defensive situations. I'm more accurate with my Beretta 92FS and my Taurus 627 Tracker (.357 revolver), but then again they are more difficult to conceal.

My only complaint about it is that I don't much care for the double-action-only trigger. My advice is to practice with it as much as you can so you know exactly where to find the "firing point" of the long trigger pull. The trigger pull is smooth, it's just really long if you're used to SA/DA pistols.

I agree that it's a little bit of a pain to clean compared to some of my other handguns, but that's a minor nit. In my opinion this is one of Taurus's best pistols and it really shows innovation rather than just being a copy of another company's design.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:20 PM

I'm honestly not sure if mine is a "pro" or an older one... Now I have to check. It has a single action trigger with double strike capability.

I cary mine in a thunderwear holster and this gun disapears well in that role.

I honestly thought I was going to get a lemon when I picked it up used earlier this year for $250. I was looking for a XD45c, but could never find one for a reasonable price.

Things I like:
-Small size
-Light recoil
-Mag capacity
-Heine sights stock
-Accuracy is pretty good for what it is

Things I don't like:
-Soft touch only needed to drop a mag (replacement spring on the way )
-Safety is easily defeated if you aren't careful about trigger control (When firing, if you are not sure to release the trigger ALL the way out you can activate the safety BEFORE the trigger and subsequent trigger pull will result in discharge and I imagine a torn apart gun due to the safety locking the slide)
-My para P14 full cap mags will lock up but not feed...that's just being a tease!

All in all, I'm happy with it. I wouldn't let my wife carry it though due to the trigger/ safety issue.

Last edited by gunrun45; 02-04-2009 at 1:14 AM..
Old 02-03-2009, 11:38 PM

i have a 145, and it's not dao mine is a sa with second strike, and as for the mag release problem, i solved it with reversing the mag release button.

Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion
-- Edward Abbey
Old 02-04-2009, 9:45 AM
Veteran Member

Just FYI, there have been 3 or 4 generations of PT145s, all different.

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?p=3654671