Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:18 PM

Default LA area fishing charters...

Me and my dad are wanting to go fishing , and I was wondering if anyone has any good experiences with any local charter companies to speak of or recommend. Looking for like a day or 3/4 day trips out on the ocean, leaving from LA or Orange counties. Any info is MUCH appreciated. TIA!
Old 03-14-2006, 2:56 PM

I fished on dana wharf in dana point, years back. I don't remember what boat, but we caught bass and others had yellow tail.

My friends and I were planning a fishing trip in newport. Davey's Locker in newport. I don't think we will ever go.

I would like to fish on the same boat if you do go.
Old 03-14-2006, 3:09 PM
glen avon

try www.allcoast.com for info.

IME they are all the same, it's just what you get familiar with. redondo, 22nd street, long beach, davey's locker, dana, H&M, etc.
Old 03-14-2006, 3:25 PM

Default Bearth 55 long beach

I have been out of bearth 55 in long beach the Victory, Liberty, or native sun have good capt always go out of there here is ther web page
http://www.longbeachsportfishing.com/
Old 03-14-2006, 5:50 PM

Thanks for the replies so far! Good info to have.

If/when I schedule, I'll post up here. It'll be the first couple of weeks in May.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:00 PM

Here is another link that might help..
http://www.usafishing.com/
Old 03-14-2006, 11:05 PM

Go on the Betty-O! I forgot where they are located, I think Marina Del Rey, but the captain always found fish for us when I went. This was when I was still fishing for rockcod, yum yum!
Old 03-15-2006, 1:35 AM

Here are a couple sites I visit to see what's the bite like and to try to increase my chances of actually catching something. You might need to further click on the individual landing to see what boat caught the fish. It's the slow time of the year and most landings aren't getting enough customers to send out more than one boat it seems.
http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/...ck_totals.html
http://biteson.com/newlandings.html
Old 03-15-2006, 8:15 PM

The Freedom out of 22ed street is pretty good... I went on a 2 day trip last year and had a great time... Tommy the Capt. is a real good guy and his crew is very helpful if you need it...
Old 03-15-2006, 11:33 PM

My brother used to work the boats out of both MDR and 22nd street.

The Freedom, phantom, Betty-o, spitfire, and all the rest are fairly good.... some are in better condition than others, but they all get you out to fish.

With technology today, finding fish out there is not too hard... Most of the good Captains now the good spots, and their radar can find the schools of fish with relative ease. I'd say go 3/4 day moreso than 1/2 day, since you will be able to get out farther, or hunt a bit more, if needed.
Old 03-16-2006, 7:51 AM

I go out of San Diego in the summer for albacore and yellowfin. The 1 1/2 day trips are usually pretty hot from july to sept for tuna. Very fun if you've never caught 1.
Old 03-16-2006, 4:15 PM

Another vote for spending the extra time to charter out of San Diego. Check out the Producer.
Old 04-12-2006, 3:40 PM

What you need to do is check the fish counts in the local paper sports section. Then decide who's catching what and how many per angler. Then you can decide where to go. I would say wait another month for it to get better and for a 3/4 day I would recommend Newport of Dana Point. Good crew and captains. I fish out of both a lot during the summer months and have a blast. You can also consider the twilight trips, they can be really good locally.
Old 04-12-2006, 4:15 PM
glen avon

go out of OC to SCI for all day rockfishing, yeahbuddy, I just went and we had a great time. or further south, san diego, ensenada is even better.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Banned

Gone on a few charters on the 'New Del Mar', out of Marina Del Rey. Good crew, good food, and the 'New Del Mar' is a much nicer boat than the old 'Del Mar'

Can't remember the pier location, they are on the south end of the Marina off of Fuji Way - cneter of this map:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...te=ca&zipcode=

A pic from the last trip

Old 05-08-2006, 12:25 PM

I finally got my act together and got 2 spots on the R&R out of MDR for the 3/4 day for this coming Sat. morning at 7. I'll report back here when all is said and done. Wish us luck! Get cho' fish on foo!!
Old 05-08-2006, 12:35 PM
glen avon

looks like lots of nice rockfish. I went out a coupla weeks ago on a different boat and that's what we got. dee-licious.

what gear will you use?
Old 05-13-2006, 7:46 PM

Oh yeah baby! Came away with 3 pounds of various rockfish...barber poles, couple of good size groupers, some starrys, a few boccacio. Totaled 3 pounds of filets. Wife hooked us up with this paprika olive oil, orange juice, sherry vinegar and dijon mustard sauce over a bed of spinach. YUMMY!!!

For the price ($40), the crew of the R&R was great, the boat was nice, ful kitchen and they cooked us breakfast too. Recommended if youre looking for a charter.

Now I need some new tackle!
Old 05-14-2006, 7:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by resistor
Oh yeah baby! Came away with 3 pounds of various rockfish...barber poles, couple of good size groupers, some starrys, a few boccacio. Totaled 3 pounds of filets. Wife hooked us up with this paprika olive oil, orange juice, sherry vinegar and dijon mustard sauce over a bed of spinach. YUMMY!!!

For the price ($40), the crew of the R&R was great, the boat was nice, ful kitchen and they cooked us breakfast too. Recommended if youre looking for a charter.

Now I need some new tackle!

NICE Resistor!!!!!!

+1 for San Diego. Its worth the trip for the amount of fish. You have to do at least 1.5 or 2 days. I heard that the Enterprise is in H&M?? did anybody hear that? I like the Enterprise when it was at 22nd landing.

for local, just wait and read the newspaper. around june or july, the fishing season will be in full swing!!

maybe we should have a "calguns.net fishing trip?"
Old 05-14-2006, 11:25 AM

3 pounds? That isn't very much. Last 4 years out of H&M fishing on the Diawa Pacific 1-1/2 day trips I brought home over 100 pounds of Tuna every time. Donated a bunch to the local homeless shelter.1st class boat and have never had a bad trip out on it.
Old 05-14-2006, 1:37 PM

Well, considering that a tuna grows to about 100 times the size of a rockcod, that is not too bad. Also, there are no limits on tuna, unlike rockcod.

Yummm....rockcod
Old 05-16-2006, 3:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I just go on my little 19 footer. i usually go out of Newport and usually go catch halibut. I jsut caught soem sea bass last time out but the motor started to eat a rod bearing so i had to head in. Im getting it fixed now so ill be going back out soon enough
Rob
Old 05-16-2006, 3:33 PM

Thumbs up

I think it would be cool to have a calguns multi day tuna trip
Old 05-16-2006, 4:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechandy
I think it would be cool to have a calguns multi day tuna trip

i'm in!!!! i havn't been on a multi day trip in some time. longest is 5 days for me on the Shogun. Never will I fish that boat again!!
Old 05-16-2006, 4:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob454
I just go on my little 19 footer. i usually go out of Newport and usually go catch halibut. I jsut caught soem sea bass last time out but the motor started to eat a rod bearing so i had to head in. Im getting it fixed now so ill be going back out soon enough
Rob

Rob,

have you tried launching out of alamitos bay? its much better than newport. the boat ride to open water is like 10 minutes. not like an hour at newport. that sux for the rod bearing!!
Old 05-16-2006, 6:18 PM
Well used Member
CGN Contributor

1.5 day charter out to the outer banks is the way to go. Here is a link for the San Diego fleets. http://www.sdfish.com/links.shtml Just scroll down to charter boats. Get 10 to 14 people and charter the "Alicia" out of H&M landing for $225 to $160 a head, less during the week. This is as good as some of the cattle boat's prices. The trick is finding 10 to 14 people to join you. You will find tuna. As the season progresses you can fish locally with good results. This is even cheaper since you're only paying for 3/4 or full day.

I really don't like the cattle boats, too many morons crossing lines etc. Another option is to contact a captain with a 6 pack license. They can take 6 people out at a time. Perfect for small groups. Seaforth offers this package. Call around, there are others. Just watch out for the fuel surcharge BS.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."--Plato
Old 05-17-2006, 4:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschronic
Rob,

have you tried launching out of alamitos bay? its much better than newport. the boat ride to open water is like 10 minutes. not like an hour at newport. that sux for the rod bearing!!

I usually Launch at long beach marine stadium but last time I went with a buddy of mine who races jet skis professionally his truck was broken into. I have launched at dana point cause its literally 2-3 minutes then youre out
Im still bent about the bearing. damn thing is gonna cost 2800$ to repair. im putting a new motor in it
Another reason i bought my boat ( we had jet skis but both me and my wife lost intrest in them) was so i can start fishing again. I may not be able to get huge game but hey this thing is gonna pay for itself in 3-4 years of having fun on it. besides no matter what repairs I have to make from now on its still beats the $$ I woudl be loosing on a new boat ( depreciation, repairs etc)

Rob

Last edited by Rob454; 05-17-2006 at 4:08 PM..
Old 05-17-2006, 7:05 PM

Sounds like a fun idea. I would be good for 3 spots on a day and a half boat.
Old 05-22-2006, 5:11 PM

Depending on the dates I'd be in for 2 spots on a 1 1/2 day trip
Old 05-22-2006, 5:47 PM

man this brings back memories. I used to fish every weekend until i moved back to the states. My boss just got back from June Lake, i should shoulda gone with him.