Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-14-2010, 2:59 PM

Default Colt Gold Cup serial number question...

Can anyone tell me if this serial number would be a series 70 or 80 ??

Serial number:#SN254XX

I need to know asap and colt is closed.

thanks,
Jay
Old 05-14-2010, 3:09 PM
Veteran Member

Go here and look it up...

http://www.proofhouse.com/colt/gc45.htm

Looks like the 70 series begins with 70N...with the numbers you provided it seems like yours pre-dates both of those series....not sure if you left out the preceding numbers/letters.
Old 05-14-2010, 4:01 PM

I think it is a pre-70 series. Looks like it was produced in 1968. Anyone know how these compare to the 70 series functionally. It is finished in bright stainless and I love stainless guns.
Old 05-14-2010, 4:23 PM

I don't know if this will help, found it at: http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/nm.htm

Colt National Match Chambered in .45 ACP, these were basically Government Model pistols with hand honed actions, match grade barrels, and exceptionally fine blued finish. They were manufactured between 1933 and 1941. Their serial number range will be within C164,800 C215,000. These pistols came in both fixed sight and adjustable sight models.

Gold Cup National Match Introduced in 1957 in .45 ACP, the Gold Cup National Match was fitted with a match grade barrel, collet-style bushing, flat mainspring housing, long adjustable stop trigger, a hand fitted slide with an enlarged ejection port and adjustable target sights. It had the gold medallion in the grips and "NM" suffix on the serial number. These pistols were manufactured between 1957 and 1970.

Gold Cup MKIII National Match Chambered in .38 Special rimless, this pistol was like the Gold Cup National Match. Serial numbers have "NMR" or "MR" suffixes. These pistols were manufactured between 1961 and 1974.

MKIV/Series 70 Gold Cup National Match Chambered in .45 ACP, these pistols have a flat mainspring housing, accurizer barrel and bushing, adjustable trigger, target hammer, solid rib and Colt-Elliason sight. They were manufactured between 1970 and 1983.

MKIV/Series 70 Gold Cup 75th Anniversary National Match Similar to the Gold Cup Series 70, except it was built as a commemorative for Camp Perry in 1978. Only 200 pistols were built.

Gold Cup MKIV Series 80 National Match Chambered in .45 ACP, this pistol has Colt-Elliason adjustable rear sight, wide groove adjustable target trigger, under cut front sight, flat mainspring housing, and hand-honed internal parts. In 1992 they were modified to accept 8-round magazines. These pistols were manufactured between 1983 and 1996.

Variants:

Stainless Gold Cup National Match Same as Gold Cup but built in stainless steel with a matte finish between 1986 and 1996.

.38 Super Elite National Match This is a two-tone gun having a stainless slide and blued frame which was a special edition by Accu-Sports.

Bullseye National Match Chambered in .45 ACP, this pistol was hand built, tuned and adjusted by Colt gunsmiths for precise match accuracy. It includes factory installed Bomar sights, a carrying case and 2 extra magazines. Manufactured from 1991 through 1992.

Presentation Gold Cup Chambered in .45 ACP, this pistol is like the Gold Cup Series 80 National Match but adorned with a deep blue mirror bright finish and accented by a jeweled hammer, trigger and barrel hood. Supplied with oak and velvet custom case and Manufactured between 1991 and 1992.

There is more at that website.

Have a great weekend!
Old 05-14-2010, 6:02 PM

If it's stainless it should be a Series 80. Lock the slide back & see if there is a firing pin block. If no = 70 if yes = 80

http://www.m1911.org/safety2.htm
http://www.m1911.org/safety.htm