Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-08-2006, 1:33 AM

Default Black Hills, Mk 262 Mod 1, 5.56mm 77gr. Ammo

I thought some of you might want to get some of this ammunition since it's not commercially available and it shows once in a while.

This is an article of the Mk 262 Mod 1: http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ammunition/mk262_080105/

That said, this are seconds meaning there might be cosmetic imperfections such as minor discoloration, dents or scratches but otherwise they function and perform with no issues.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=331532

BTW if anyone in the bay is interested just drop me a PM maybe we can split the shipping cost since I'm going to be getting some in the next few days.

Last edited by Pablo; 03-08-2006 at 8:33 AM..
Old 03-08-2006, 5:45 AM

Default Group Buy?

I must have Group Buys on the Brain , but I am working on pricing from the supplier for a Bay Area Group Buy. Will let you know what pricing looks like.
Old 03-08-2006, 6:33 AM
Veteran Member

Heh.... Now I foresee a flood of "Will this ammo work in my 1:9 upper I just bought?" posts. and "What does "maybe" mean?" follow-ups.
Old 03-08-2006, 7:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Interesting you posted the MK262 info. I've been working on a load that duplicates MK262 in my 18" MK12 Mod 1 Adco upper receiver.

My components are Hodgdon Varget powder, Sierra Match King 77gr bullets, Winchester SR primers, and Lake City 03 brass.

NOTE: The powder charge weights below may exceed SAAMI pressures. The powder charge weights below DO exceed Hodgdon's load data.

A ten shot aggregate of 25.0gr Varget yielded an average of 2753.6 fps.

A ten shot aggregate of 25.5gr Varget yielded an average of 2805.6 fps.

Both maintained just under 1 MOA groups. I'm going to try 25.3gr Varget this weekend to see if (1) the average velocity is between 2753.6 and 2805.6 and (2) if the grouping is the same. If so, I will settle on 25.3gr of Varget since a deviation in charge weight by +/- .2 gr during reloading will not result in a substantial accuracy deviation when shooting.

As far as the use of Varget, I may try a different powder, either commercial H335 of the military surplus version of H335 used in M193 and M855. The problem with Varget is at the amount being used, it is quite a compressed load (even when using a long tube powder funnel) and seating on the compressed load does affect the consistency of seating depth.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 03-08-2006, 2:13 PM
Veteran Member

those Varget charges are on the warm side

I use 24.5 gr. of RL15 with the 77s and RP 7.5s, accurate enough for me.
Old 03-08-2006, 2:26 PM

MK 262 ammo is definitely attractive for stash away SHTF/zombie ammo. But for what it costs I decided to just stick to stockpiling the black hills blue box 75 grain OTM. I get that for less than half of what the MK262 costs. Unfortunately, it's loaded to .223 pressures instead of 5.56 and it isn't sealed or crimped (though I heard black hills may have started crimping them recently) but I decided the cost savings outweighs that. One of the disadvantages of being a student I guess.
Old 03-08-2006, 2:37 PM

Perfect for my SPR twins

I've been using reman 69gr SMK, it will be interesting to see if these make any differences.
Old 03-08-2006, 2:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phish
those Varget charges are on the warm side

I use 24.5 gr. of RL15 with the 77s and RP 7.5s, accurate enough for me.
Yup yup. That's why I put a disclaimer in red, bold text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical Ted
I'm going to try LC cases, 77 gr SMK's, Ramshot TAC powder and CCI #41 primers. sometime this summer.

I even went so far as to order a cannelure cutting tool.
I've been reading good stuff about Ramshot TAC, so I too have been interested in trying TAC in 5.56 NATO handloads.

My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations

Last edited by ocabj; 03-08-2006 at 2:58 PM..
Old 03-08-2006, 2:57 PM

I'd stay away from H335 for trying to achieve the velocities of MK262, the stuff is temperature sensitive in my experience and a good cold weather load may not be good come summer time.

Lots of people seem to be trying to use TAC to build up MK262 clones but I don't know if it is temperature sensitive or not.

Varget is a good temperature stable powder in my experience and one I'd be tempted to stick with.
Old 03-08-2006, 3:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglygun
I'd stay away from H335 for trying to achieve the velocities of MK262, the stuff is temperature sensitive in my experience and a good cold weather load may not be good come summer time.

Lots of people seem to be trying to use TAC to build up MK262 clones but I don't know if it is temperature sensitive or not.

Varget is a good temperature stable powder in my experience and one I'd be tempted to stick with.
The reason why I like Varget is because I buy lots of it for use in .308 and 6.5x55 Swede, so it would be convenient to apply Varget in this case.

But... I would like to use a ball powder to avoid the compressed loads with the small case capacity. I have no qualms about the safety of compressed loads. My concern with compressed loads is that it affects the consistency of seating depth and can, in some cases, depending on the seating die and the bullet, put dents/marks in the jacket from where the seating die stem exerts pressure on the bullet.

Old 03-08-2006, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj
The reason why I like Varget is because I buy lots of it for use in .308 and 6.5x55 Swede, so it would be convenient to apply Varget in this case.

But... I would like to use a ball powder to avoid the compressed loads with the small case capacity. I have no qualms about the safety of compressed loads. My concern with compressed loads is that it affects the consistency of seating depth and can, in some cases, depending on the seating die and the bullet, put dents/marks in the jacket from where the seating die stem exerts pressure on the bullet.

Yeah, I can understand that. Have delt with what you speak of, the reason I personally like ball powder or short kernel stick powders is that it meters so easy.

TAC is a ball powder from what I understand so it might be worth a shot, especially if it is more temperature stable.

My 3 favorite powders for 223Rem are H335, H322, and AA2015 for my 40-55grn varmint slaying bullet loadings. Love being able to set the measure to a specific weight and throw charges without having to trickle to come up to the set weight.
Old 03-08-2006, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3par
Perfect for my SPR twins

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/321854-big.JPG
I've been using remain 69gr SMK, it will be interesting to see if these make any differences.

That's just gorgeous man!!! You have two amazing rifles there!!! But on that pic (the Mod-0), It seems that the Ops-Inc collar is to far behind. The suppressor is not touching the collar. How is that possible? All the SPR's that I have seen, the suppressor actually seats on the collar...
Do you have more pics? and can you tell us who build your rifle?

Thanks

Last edited by Pablo; 03-08-2006 at 3:50 PM..
Old 03-08-2006, 3:59 PM

Default 2500 Rds. Min

Well we would need 2500 total rounds ordered and pricing would be $30 for Box of 50. So that would be about $0.60 per round (not including shipping). Any interested please PM me, so I don't Hi-Jack this thread.
Old 03-08-2006, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo
That's just gorgeous man!!! You have two amazing rifles there!!! But on that pic (the Mod-0), It seems that the Ops-Inc collar is to far behind. The suppressor is not touching the collar. How is that possible? All the SPR's that I have seen, the suppressor actually seats on the collar...
Do you have more pics? and can you tell us who build your rifle?

Thanks
The fake can is where its supposed to be, the real suppressor sits in the middle of the cone neck area also.
The same guy who built the real thing did both for me. He is kind enough to machine a 1:1 copy of the Ops suppressor for me as a "crown protector" It's not even drill through.
Old 03-09-2006, 3:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Perfect for my SPR twins

I've been using reman 69gr SMK, it will be interesting to see if these make any differences.
Soooooo sweet!!!!

What scopes are they?
Old 03-09-2006, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JickoRicko
Soooooo sweet!!!!

What scopes are they?
Mod 0 has a Leupold M3 on it. The Mod 1 used to have the SS 10m but now has the MRT. I am just trying to be as close to the original Crane built spec as possible per the Crane armorer recommendation.

Last edited by SI-guru; 03-09-2006 at 4:13 PM..
Old 03-10-2006, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud
Well we would need 2500 total rounds ordered and pricing would be $30 for Box of 50. So that would be about $0.60 per round (not including shipping). Any interested please PM me, so I don't Hi-Jack this thread.
Mud, you can actually Hi-Jack this thread, I don't mind! Specially because the ammunition is already gone! It's sold out! So if you can get the some MK 262, count me in! I will take at least 500 rounds and if this group buy happens next month I can take 1000 rounds!
Old 03-10-2006, 7:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Where were you guys looking to get this stuff from anyway? The only Black Hills factory seconds of the MK262 Mod 1 loading I know about was using Nosler bullets. Since Sierra bullets are used in the actual production MK262 ammunition, the factory seconds with the Nosler bullets was most likely leftover runoffs that Black Hills was trying to get rid of.

Has anyone actually seen Black Hills factory seconds of MK262 using actual Sierra bullets?

Old 03-10-2006, 8:53 AM

Hey 3par,
I've been looking for a real SPR barrel for a while now. I got all the other parts for the build including the ops inc brake but having a hard time getting the barrel. Any help would be a appreciated.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:24 PM

The mod 0 has a compass lake SPR barrel. The mod 1 has a real SPR barrel made by Gene Barnett (without the government marking, of course).
I always thought the mod 0 handguard and front sight is the hardest items to find. I think they can't make the front sight anymore.
Contact Wes at mstn.biz for spr items.
Old 03-10-2006, 3:10 PM

I believe someone has a patent on thumb adjust front sight so PRI cannot make the original Mod 0 front sight after the first batch. Any PRI front now can only be top adjust by a wrench.
Old 03-10-2006, 3:29 PM

Quote:
You mean four prong front sight adjustment tool? That's what I use on the PRI folding front sight of my 6.8 SPC upper.
Whatever you say, I've never seen the gen II sight and don't care too much about it.
Old 03-10-2006, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
It works fine.

Yep, same as my PRI folding front. I like it alot, thinking about getting another for a non optic upper, just because I like it so much.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Those are good looking rifles. I just realized that at least one is built on a FAB10. Now I don't mind posting this, the latest evolution of my own as of last Friday:
[IMG]http://www.hunt101.com/img/385063.jpgNot exactly an SPR clone, but then again it started out in November 2004 as a collection of spare parts: The stripped FAB had been sitting in my safe since 2002 and one night after consolidating all my spare parts--including an pre-ban Colt MT6730 upper--I realized I had enough parts to build up a complete rifle. At this point what it needs is a longer barrel and better handguard.
Ted, if you decided to sell your handguard let me know.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM
Heh.... Now I foresee a flood of "Will this ammo work in my 1:9 upper I just bought?" posts. and "What does "maybe" mean?" follow-ups.
That's not funny, I was actually thinking that, but from what I understand I should stick to 65 gr with my 1:9.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigguy552
Hey 3par,
I've been looking for a real SPR barrel for a while now. I got all the other parts for the build including the ops inc brake but having a hard time getting the barrel. Any help would be a appreciated.

Are you talking about the real Ops-Inc. "12th series muzzle brake with suppressor collar". I have been trying to get one since December 24th (77 days so far) and no luck! As you can see I have everything else including the barrel but the damn Ops-Inc brake it's almost impossible to get! Can you share your source? PLEASE!!!

Old 03-11-2006, 1:05 AM

Quote:
The mod 0 has a compass lake SPR barrel. The mod 1 has a real SPR barrel made by Gene Barnett (without the government marking, of course).
I always thought the mod 0 handguard and front sight is the hardest items to find. I think they can't make the front sight anymore.
Contact Wes at mstn.biz for spr items.
In my experience the hardest item to locate is the Ops Inc muzzle break and the barrel since the real Douglas "premium" stainless 1X7 barrel use a proprietary A.M.U. chamber and the specs of the chamber have not been made public.

Wes, at MSTN is a great guy with an excellent costumer service. But his prices really suck! As Ted mentioned in his post a better option would be to go directly to David Dunlap (President of PRI).
Old 03-11-2006, 1:10 AM

ADCO sells a copy of it.

BTW, you do know ops inc is in NorCal, right ?

Last edited by SI-guru; 03-11-2006 at 1:26 AM..
Old 03-11-2006, 2:19 AM

Quote:
ADCO sells a copy of it.

BTW, you do know ops inc is in NorCal, right ?
I hear that, but I want the real deal since I read over at ARFCOM that ADCO's brake doesn't work as good as the real OPS-INC.

I actually knew about their location. They are like 4 hours away from where I live... I just wish they would sell me one of their brakes and let me see their suppressors!!!

Last edited by Pablo; 03-11-2006 at 12:11 PM..
Old 03-11-2006, 8:23 AM

As long as you guys have already taken this OT...enquiring minds want to know what this "mod 0" and "mod 1" are. Please illuminate the curious minds out here!
Old 03-11-2006, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I hear that, but I want the real deal since I read over at ARFCOM that ADCO's brake doesn't work as good as the real OPS-INC.

I actually knew about their location. They are like 4 hours away from where I live... I just wish they will sell me one of their brakes and let me see their suppressors!!!
Yah, he is a cranky old man. He doesn't do email or internet sales so I got them through Wes and the armorer. When he found out how much those guys sold his brakes, he got pissed and stop selling to them. Dude, just sell them yourself !

Omega,

Mod 0 was the original SPR design with PRI Gen I and ARMS rail (notice the thumb adjust front sight and the straight profile handguard and rail). It has many design flaws that require significant mod on the handguard itself to make it reliable.
The joke was in one of the shotshow demo, the mod 0 handguard came loose during a shooting session.

The Mod 1 was KAC parts based with much simpler assembly and lighter. It doesn't have a continuous rail like the ARMS rail so mounting optics with proper eyerelief became a concern and the Leupold MRT 3-9x was specifically design for it.

However, there were certain decision makers of one branch of the armed forces that hate KAC guts so PRI and ARMS were allow to have a second chance and the handguards were modified (weight lighten and mounting mechanism modified) to the current form and I believe they are actually considered Mod 2 or 0b ??.

HTH

Last edited by SI-guru; 03-11-2006 at 11:52 AM..
Old 03-11-2006, 12:01 PM

SPR-B MOD 0 ? or SPR MOD 2 ?

Notice the different rail and handguard profile.

And a few SPR in action.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega13device
As long as you guys have already taken this OT...enquiring minds want to know what this "mod 0" and "mod 1" are. Please illuminate the curious minds out here!
No problem, the link was on the 1st page of this thread :

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ammunition/mk262_080105/
Old 03-11-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Yah, he is a cranky old man. He doesn't do email or internet sales so I got them through Wes and the armorer. When he found out how much those guys sold his brakes, he got pissed and stop selling to them. Dude, just sell them yourself !

Omega,

Mod 0 was the original SPR design with PRI Gen I and ARMS rail (notice the thumb adjust front sight and the straight profile handguard and rail). It has many design flaws that require significant mod on the handguard itself to make it reliable.
The joke was in one of the shotshow demo, the mod 0 handguard came loose during a shooting session.

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/albums/M4-Carbine/m4a1spr.jpg[/img]

The Mod 1 was KAC parts based with much simpler assembly and lighter. It doesn't have a continuous rail like the ARMS rail so mounting optics with proper eyerelief became a concern and the Leupold MRT 3-9x was specifically design for it.

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/albums/M4-Carbine/spr_b.jpg[/img]

However, there were certain decision makers of one branch of the armed forces that hate KAC guts so PRI and ARMS were allow to have a second chance and the handguards were modified (weight lighten and mounting mechanism modified) to the current form and I believe they are actually considered Mod 2 or 0b ??.

HTH
Excellent post man!
So I guess that's the real reason because Wes stop selling Ops Inc brakes!!! LMOF! He never mention that over at ARFCOM! Anyway O.P. Seberger Sr. is not in charge anymore of OPS-INC, now it looks like his son is taking care of the business! Have you actually talk with anyone at Ops (recently)?
Old 03-11-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Excellent post man!
So I guess that's the real reason because Wes stop selling Ops Inc brakes!!! LMOF! He never mention that over at ARFCOM! Anyway O.P. Seberger Sr. is not in charge anymore of OPS-INC, now it looks like his son is taking care of the business! Have you actually talk with anyone at Ops (recently)?
He hung up the phone on me, if that's your definition of "talk with anyone".
Old 03-11-2006, 1:26 PM
Veteran Member

the bottom picture is too funny, obviously someone liked to watch Bravestar when they were a kid
Old 03-11-2006, 2:50 PM

Quote:
He hung up the phone on me, if that's your definition of "talk with anyone".
wow... that's pretty bad! I'm not even going to try to get in contact with OPS. Hopefully one of this day I will get a phone call from one of their distributors telling me that they finally have my 12th series muzzle break!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigguy552
Hey 3par,
"sigguy552" I still want to know if you're talking about the real 12th series muzzle break and collar. If you can share your source I would greatly appreciate it!

Last edited by Pablo; 03-11-2006 at 2:59 PM..
Old 03-11-2006, 3:30 PM
Veteran Member

I know someone that takes Black tail Deer Black hills ammo.he shoots them in the neck.

Last edited by Shoot-it; 03-11-2006 at 3:37 PM..
Old 05-20-2007, 7:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm going to try LC cases, 77 gr SMK's, Ramshot TAC powder and CCI #41 primers. sometime this summer.

I even went so far as to order a cannelure cutting tool.
Ted: what's your final wt. of TAC you are using? And how's the performance?
Old 05-20-2007, 8:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JickoRicko View Post
Ted: what's your final wt. of TAC you are using? And how's the performance?
Sorry Jicko. I wrote this last year. Before I got around to loading any rounds I got swamped with work and never got around to it.

I've only had a chance to go to the range five or six times since last July