Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:48 PM

Default The "one-gun" scenario... HD and casual trap

I don't own a shotgun, but I would like to.

I'd like one for HD, and occasional trap. By trap, I mean me, my buddies, and a couple trap throwers load up in a truck and head out for some fun. Nothing more. No scores, no trophies, no gun clubs. I don't have the time to do any kind of scheduled shooting.

I would like to hit the damn clays, though. Can I get away with using a smooth bore 18 inch shotgun for busting clays? Will any of the 18 inch HD shotguns accept chokes, so I could pop a full choke in there for clays? Does it really matter?

I was thinking about either a basic 18 inch 870, or I might splurge and waste some money on a Wilson Combat Border Patrol model. Either way, it'd see very occasional range use (killing paper), and some trap shooting once every couple months.

I know that ideally, the two activities require different guns, but honestly, can it be done? I'm a handgun shooter through and through, and really don't have the desire (or the room in my safe) to start stockpiling shotguns right now.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:11 AM
Calguns Addict

I think an 870 would work fine for that.

I have only one shotgun myself, an old Winchester Model 12 with an 18 inch barrel and I've shot clays with it. Usually just the way you described with a couple of throwers and a couple of boxes of clays way out in the middle of nowhere. Might not work as well as a longer barrel but still fun. I can't answer your question about chokes, but it doesn't seem to matter much with mine as long as I don't let the clay get to far before I shoot it.
Old 03-08-2006, 1:39 AM

My friend of mine uses his M1 Super 90 with the 14" entry barrel with a 4" "muzzle brake" and he does pretty well shooting trap with it.
Old 03-08-2006, 3:24 AM

I'd go 870 Magnum Express. Works well for HD plus there's a lot out there for it. Not to mention its the best bang for your shotgun buck. When was the last time you heard somone say my 870 sucks arse?
Old 03-08-2006, 4:00 AM

Instead of getting one wilson, get yourself 2 870s. Short and long barrel. You could probably even find them both used and save even more money.
Old 03-08-2006, 7:29 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Default Mossberg 500 Combo

Big 5 regularly has a sale for this Mossberg. Comes with a 18" and 28" barrel. I've seen it for as low as $199.
Old 03-08-2006, 9:06 AM

The Big 5 Mossberg combo is right up your alley. Perfectly reliable generic pump shotgun with two interchangable barrels. You can get fancier with a Remington 870 or a semiauto, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better value for a new gun.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:56 PM

Get an 870 Express 12 Ga with a 28" barrel for around $260. Buy an 18" Mossberg barrel for the 870 from Cabela's for $95. If you are concerned about needing more than 5 rounds, get an elastic shell holder cuff for the buttstock from Wal-Mart for $5.

You'll have a good gun for everything from home defense to hunting. With a little oil, the 870 is a smooth shucker - just avoid cheap Winchester promo shells.