Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:42 PM

Default walther p38 price check

i was going to purchase a walther p38 from a gun store. they have about 50 of these things that hwere all refinished. i am just looking to use it for a shooter. they all went threw katrina but have been function tested. the guy said i can have anyone i want for $450 but i am not even sure what to look for.
Old 05-06-2010, 2:05 PM
Calguns Addict

$450 for a Walther P-38 sounds about right, although I've seen them for $375. Look for good function-ability (i.e. rack the slide, test out the hammer and dry fire, load and unload magazine), and try to look down the bore and see if the rifling is in good condition. Also, look up which manufacturer, since P-38's come in various manufactures, most post-WWII. Since it looks like there are many to choose from and the price isn't exactly competitive, you are in no rush to buy, so take your time researching and looking up the different manufactures and various prices online. Gunbroker.com is an excellent place to compare prices/shop online.
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563
Old 05-06-2010, 2:12 PM

for 450 that might not be a bad buy. a friend of mine told me that if he were to ever buy a handgun it would be a p38 because it the "Transformer" gun.

yes, he's that much of a nerd
[Luke 22:36] International Standard Version (©2008)
Then he said to them, "But now whoever has a wallet must take it along, and his traveling bag, too. And the one who has no sword must sell his coat and buy one."
Old 05-06-2010, 2:15 PM

these are real walther ww2 guns still have natzi markings and all on them i think the one i was going to get was a 1942- 1945
Old 05-06-2010, 3:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you get to pick and choose then make sure you get a early AC or byf. A shooter with a heavy refinish is about $350. A nice refinished $450.

jerry
Old 05-06-2010, 3:09 PM

$450 is a decent price for those Russian captured Walther P38s, they have little collective value but will do for a shooter. I picked one up last year, I find them pretty inaccurate, mainly due to the long and mushy DA trigger, the SA is better but creeps. It ain't no target pistol but for self-defense it will do. Very reliable in FMJ, not so much for JHP, don't fire +Ps

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary
Old 05-06-2010, 3:11 PM

what is a byf?
Old 05-06-2010, 4:45 PM

byf is the nazi era code for mauser werk.
Old 05-06-2010, 6:41 PM

how do you know if it was a russian captured one? a do know there is no inport parks on it
Old 05-06-2010, 10:33 PM

Russian capture P38s are distinctively refinished with suspiciously consistent bluing in all components including the locking block (Germans never blued that). Most RC P38s have matching serial numbers, with a large “X” next to them on the slide. Some have their original numbers crossed out in place with new ones. All factory highlighted paint on the markings and safety are gone.

Some older RC guns don’t have import marks, newer ones do – mine in particular has a small one located at the back end of the frame between the hammer and the grips.

If you’re looking for a shooter, RC guns are the way to go since they hold little collecting value compared to the true veteran bring backs going for near twice the price.

I assumed the P38s in question were Russian captures because it was mentioned that a whole batch of them were all refinished – if they were all vet bring back P38s, refinishing them would devalue them significantly, but the Russians didn’t mind the collecting value of their reserve arsenal made up of captured weapons.

Last edited by GŁnter; 05-06-2010 at 11:02 PM..
Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 PM

they where all refinished because they sat in water from the hurician. they where all reblued with in the last month. i dont believe these would of been captured since they where all in a big collection that was sold off. i do know there was not an x on any of them thought. some had black or red grips and a few had aluminium grips. so is it work 450 if it is a real german bring back that has now been refinished?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:14 AM

If thats the case, sounds like a good deal to me. RC or not, $450 is a good price for a working P38. Its a shame to hear that happened to one's p38 collection.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Where's the best place to pick up one of these P-38's mail order? Or in SoCal?
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 05-07-2010, 1:11 AM

cgm had them starting at 450. the ones with 450 had pitting but i could not even tell till the owner pointed it out to me. i am not sure if he is selling these yet though because he just took them out of the back and did not have them priced yet. but there is alot to choose from. i have not ever seem so many in one place.