Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 05-05-2010, 7:57 PM
Banned

Question The Mac Mini, love it, hate it, use it to....

prop up a tippy chair?

I almost bought one today .... except I ended up playing it safe (and cheap) and getting a really souped-up G4 Icebook instead.

But the Mini seems really neat, is anyone using one? Thoughts?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I use one as a media "server", so to speak. Works great w/ a SAN or Drobo-type device to serve HT content via Plex. No complaints at all. I save storage real estate as I'm able to archive my DVDs from open display to a dark closet, and I save $$ vs. high-end HT component alternatives. I highly recommend it for that purpose.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Brother has one. Bought it, formated the drive and installed XP Media .
Old 05-06-2010, 11:52 AM

Been thinking about one to run through my LCD TV and sound system. Just need to do my homework and check connectors and stuff.
Old 05-07-2010, 7:41 AM

I have one at work that I use for testing stuff on, and one at home that streams my movies/music from a windows 2k8 server thats in the garage.
Bonecutter, they have optical audio out so they are good to go for running through a soundsystem (just need a $10 adapter).

Only down side is that netflix won't allow HD Streaming unless its on of their 'Approved' Devices (xbox360, HD Tivo, PS3, ETC)
Old 05-07-2010, 8:14 AM

My room-mate in college had one (back in 2006-2007) that he used as his main computer and for working on film school projects. That little thing was able to render super35mm film (more than 4x the "resolution" of 1080p) allowing him to edit films at full quality. Now he's a professional editor.

As is typical with a Mac, it gave him no problems. No crashing, no viruses, no slowdowns, etc.

I was actually just thinking about getting one the other day...
Old 05-07-2010, 8:20 AM

I thought this would be about:

Need to start watching the forum I'm in, when viewing the new posts... sorry.

Last edited by ponderosa; 05-07-2010 at 10:50 AM..
Old 05-07-2010, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWoods450 View Post
Bonecutter, they have optical audio out so they are good to go for running through a soundsystem (just need a $10 adapter).
Thanks for the info. I need to check connectors and stuff for I want to have all my stuff wired. BOSE 321, PS3, Mac Mini through my 40' LCD.

Currently my only home computer is a Macbook.
Old 05-07-2010, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONECUTTER View Post
Thanks for the info. I need to check connectors and stuff for I want to have all my stuff wired. BOSE 321, PS3, Mac Mini through my 40' LCD.

Currently my only home computer is a Macbook.
macbook should have the same optical audio out, just need this http://www.amazon.com/Toslink-To-Opt.../dp/B0002MQGRM
Old 05-07-2010, 10:48 AM

Over the last 5 years I've set up several personal and professional networked storage servers using Minis. I find them to be reliable, easily expandable, and very discrete. I haven't had any problems using them as the main file server for a "light weight" video production suite, a primary music server for an in-home distributed audio system, and a development server for cross-platform application development. The gigabit ethernet on board makes them very useful for large file transfer and storage, and it kicks butt running OS X server to host simple web services.

I really like the MiniMax hard drive system because you can get a ton of expansion ports as well as a great deal of storage space in a tiny footprint.

All in all I great little device, but maybe just a bit pricey for what you get.

That's my 2.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Heh, thought this thread was going to be about the mpa930
Old 05-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Mine is filling the empty space in its box, out in the garage. I hated it.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:53 PM

grumpy, what model is it? I have a friend that might be interested in buying it if you want to get rid of it.

Last edited by TWoods450; 05-08-2010 at 6:45 AM..
Old 05-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Macs are crap. PC all the way
Old 05-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Now in AZ

If you want a similar form factor as the Mac Mini but don't want a Mac, check out the Dell Zino HD. It is my HTPC. BluRay drive is an option on it as well. With Netflix integrated into Win 7's Mediacenter, it works great. Plus a few MC addons and I have all of my disc library stored as ISO's images on the drive and I can click it in MC, it mounts the image and plays it immediately (DVD Jukebox).

For a HTPC keyboard I use a Logitech DiNovo Mini.
Old 05-10-2010, 4:18 PM
Banned

I"m all about teh Macs. I ended up getting a souped up G4 Icebook. Just got on it now, getting used again to the FAST keyboard and teeny display lol. 1.5GB of ram wow. And 10.5 dunno if that's the latest OS but it's sure more up to date than 10.3
Old 05-10-2010, 4:25 PM
Now in AZ

10.6 is the latest, but is only available for Intel CPU Macs. On a G4 10.5 is the highest you can run.
Old 05-10-2010, 7:14 PM
Banned

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2010, 9:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKent View Post
As is typical with a Mac, it gave him no problems. No crashing, no viruses, no slowdowns, etc.
Someones been drinking the koolaid.

Lots of slowdown reports on the net.

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=89373

Quote:
Hello,
I use OS X 10.3.9. The past few days or so, I have noticed a general slowing down of my system. Apps open slower, browsers too, screen saver is slow to stop when I get back to work, etc. I've verified and repaired permissions, and it's not better. I remember going through this exact thing in December but didn't write down what to do after some of you helped me out. Any chance you pros can help again ? Found my old post but not the answers from back then.
I know it's something more complex.
Thanks ahead.
Z

Macs also can and do get viruses, they do exist in the wild.

http://www.securelist.com/en/analysis?pubid=191968025

http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/ne...acosxleap.html

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 05-12-2010, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
Someones been drinking the koolaid.
Mmm Koolaid. Shame they don't bring back some of the classic flavors.

Probably worthwhile pointing out that I said "As is typical" and not "as always." Suggesting that a common condition can be treated like a universal statement (a much less tenable a position)... there's a phrase for that, it comes from the idea of sword fighters who would practice on easy straw targets but never fight real opponents... oh yeah, the straw man fallacy.

Problems exist for the Mac, and it's possible for the OS to crash via a kernel panic, but it's comparatively uncommon. There are also some security vulnerabilities.

Luckily Apple seems well aware that its users don't expect virus attacks and they are very quick to patch any detected vulnerabilities (there's a reason we get security patches every week or so). The first article you posted mentions that the security issues were fixed. Most users will not encounter Malware.

I should also mention that all the viruses which infect OS X require tricking the user to get them to install. None of them can passively enter the OS X like spyware and other common PC malware.

Slowdown can happen, but it's seen as a problem and again isn't common. The fact that the dude even had to start a thread asking why his computer was slowing down, is pretty telling as to how unusual that is.

Like I said, it's common (but not impossible) for Macs to not have any slow downs, viruses, crashes and problems. I know about a dozen mac users who've never had an issue and both of mine (a 10 year old Powermac and a 5 year old Macbook) have never experienced software problems and still run as quickly and smoothly as the day of purchase - better in fact since 10.6.

Apple isn't on some golden podium, and I've even talked people out of getting a Mac before. It all depends on what you want in a computer and what you need it for.
Old 05-12-2010, 4:09 PM
Veteran Member

i love mine , you cant beat it for the price
Old 05-14-2010, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKent View Post
Mmm Koolaid. Shame they don't bring back some of the classic flavors.

Probably worthwhile pointing out that I said "As is typical" and not "as always." Suggesting that a common condition can be treated like a universal statement (a much less tenable a position)... there's a phrase for that, it comes from the idea of sword fighters who would practice on easy straw targets but never fight real opponents... oh yeah, the straw man fallacy.

Problems exist for the Mac, and it's possible for the OS to crash via a kernel panic, but it's comparatively uncommon. There are also some security vulnerabilities.

Luckily Apple seems well aware that its users don't expect virus attacks and they are very quick to patch any detected vulnerabilities (there's a reason we get security patches every week or so). The first article you posted mentions that the security issues were fixed. Most users will not encounter Malware.

I should also mention that all the viruses which infect OS X require tricking the user to get them to install. None of them can passively enter the OS X like spyware and other common PC malware.

Slowdown can happen, but it's seen as a problem and again isn't common. The fact that the dude even had to start a thread asking why his computer was slowing down, is pretty telling as to how unusual that is.

Like I said, it's common (but not impossible) for Macs to not have any slow downs, viruses, crashes and problems. I know about a dozen mac users who've never had an issue and both of mine (a 10 year old Powermac and a 5 year old Macbook) have never experienced software problems and still run http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/i...s/tongue.gifas quickly and smoothly as the day of purchase - better in fact since 10.6.

Apple isn't on some golden podium, and I've even talked people out of getting a Mac before. It all depends on what you want in a computer and what you need it for.
Don't waste your time, JDay just likes to playa-hate.

I've actually seen VERY few software related kernel panics. They're almost always related to a hardware issue of some sort. Bad RAM causes KPs all over the place.

--B
Old 05-15-2010, 1:41 AM
Banned

I'm firmly in the Apple Koolaid Kamp, "my confuser are grate"
Old 05-23-2010, 7:32 PM
Banned

I got the last revision of Mac Mini G4. Using it now. Love it, hate when it tends to overheat, use it for slightly less than everything now that I have an iPod Touch and wifi. When I can afford a new full-size Mac, I'll give it to my parents for a media center that will not crash all the time like XP.
Old 05-23-2010, 9:27 PM

I used to do IT back in college and we had a wall of Mac Minis that never gave us any problems
Old 05-23-2010, 9:54 PM
In Memoriam

I'm not into the details, just a half ignorant home user. The price plus the proprietary arrogance of Apple has kept me away fromthat tree, however just last night I was at a friend's house and he was showing of his house wide system.

His main server is a Mac Mini, and I gotta say I was impressed with the entire package that he has running. I'm sure it's possible to do it on a Windows system, I'm just not sure I have the chops to do it, I can't even get two Win machines to see each other! Now that's probably not a Win thing - it's a operator problem, but from what I can tell the Apple networking system has a more room for human stupidity.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Because so many Mac users believe they cannot get viruses, and that their computers are perfect and secure in every possible way, that's not a terribly difficult thing to do.

Quote:
Like I said, it's common (but not impossible) for Macs to not have any slow downs, viruses, crashes and problems. I know about a dozen mac users who've never had an issue and both of mine (a 10 year old Powermac and a 5 year old Macbook) have never experienced software problems and still run as quickly and smoothly as the day of purchase - better in fact since 10.6.
And I can count the number of people I know who have gotten a virus on the PC in the last 15 years on one hand, and still have 4 fingers left over. Oddly enough, that's one less then the number of Mac users I know who have had a virus in the last 5. I guess our individual perceptions and opinions aren't indicative of reality as a whole. Wait - wasn't that the point you were trying to make? Funny how that works.

Last edited by Sinixstar; 05-23-2010 at 10:42 PM..
Old 05-23-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwdiy View Post
Don't waste your time, JDay just likes to playa-hate.

I've actually seen VERY few software related kernel panics. They're almost always related to a hardware issue of some sort. Bad RAM causes KPs all over the place.

--B
Kind of like how about 99% of BSOD in Windows (pre logo testing days) were caused by bad hardware drivers?
Once windows logo testing policy was put in place, BSOD virtually disappeared (See also: WINXP).
Old 05-24-2010, 12:24 AM

i use a mac mini for all my home computing. its a core2 duo 2ghz, and i upgraded the ram to 3gb after i bought it (cost me like $35 to add 2gb to the original 1).

i've had a time or two where things locked up with firefox, and i've had parallels take a poo on me, but overall the system is trouble free in my experience. that being said, i've been a network admin and IT support, and even my windows computers never have issues.

i like the form factor of the mini and i have it on my bedside table with a 22" lcd. i believe i paid $534 for mine when i bought it. i think it was a good buy and a good choice.
GURA: ....Oh s***
SCALIA: SERIOUSLY STFU IF WE USE PRIVILEGES AND IMMUNITIES THESE F***OS WILL LEGITIMIZE EVERYTHING STFU STFU STFU
GURA: But you hate due process
SCALIA: I LIKE IT NOW