Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 05-09-2010, 7:20 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerpin View Post
You might seriously consider scanning for malware.
I did. I scanned with Norton and also with Ad-Aware. No help. Interesting that when I would bring calguns.net up I could navigate normally. As soon as I inputed my password and logged on everything would lock up. The website worked normally until I logged on. Just by chance I decided to try 1.0 to see how that would work and it came right up after logging in and has worked just great ever since.

NRA Benefactor-Life Member
CRPA Life Member
SAF Life Member
CGF Supporter and County Sponsor
Old 05-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

There are many valid constructive complaints, suggestions and problem reports in this thread. There are also a lot of complaints that seem to imply that CGN 1.1 is the singular cause of global warming, World War 2, the Black Plague and little kittens crying.

Let's try to have some perspective. 95% of the CGN layout hasn't even changed. Most of the forum interface is the same. The changes are mostly a thin cosmetic veneer wrapped around the same old forum engine, not a complete rewrite throwing our society into chaos and brain-eating.

The top menu bar had gotten kinda kludgy as it was added to over the years, making some important things hard to find; it was ready for some clean-up.

Some new features were added, which can just be ignored by anybody who doesn't like them. If you don't want to use Facebook or Twitter or the built-in chat, just don't click the buttons. They take up an inconsequential amount of screen real estate compared the content of any active thread (though I wouldn't complain if they were a bit smaller ).

Do share constructive criticism. It has already resulted in changes to things that didn't go over well in the first release. But some of the criticism which just crucifies the CGN people for the gall of daring to change a single pixel is pretty silly and unhelpful.
Old 05-09-2010, 3:46 PM
Lurker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

new version slowed up the loading of each page to a crawl...

finally figured out we were still able
to access the old version...back to quick page loads with no 'super slow' time!

echo the same comments on how the new version freezes...

Last edited by fishhoppa; 05-09-2010 at 3:47 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 05-09-2010, 4:12 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I like the recent tweaks of the 1.1 skin - especially the ads being displayed back up top

www.riflegear.com
Old 05-09-2010, 6:17 PM

switched back to 1.0 1.1 runs so much slower spends a few seconds or so loading all the graphics
Old 05-09-2010, 6:47 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I am particularly interested in anyone having loading/freezing trouble with the new skin. That... doesn't happen here or anywhere we've tested. I am going to make a separate thread for it.

Postings are my own, and are not formal positions of any other entity, or legal advice.
Old 05-10-2010, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artherd View Post
I am particularly interested in anyone having loading/freezing trouble with the new skin. That... doesn't happen here or anywhere we've tested. I am going to make a separate thread for it.
i am having loading/freezing probs when i look at a pic in a thread, and that little chat bar thing on the bottom jumps around when i scroll. can i disable it at all?? otherwise seems fine to me!
Old 05-10-2010, 9:01 PM
Vendor/Retailer

back to 1.0 for me... 1.1 has features I dont care about - and makes for slower clunkier overall feel to the forum.

-M3
Old 05-11-2010, 6:16 AM

Quote:
CGN Version 1.1 is painfully slow and has locked up. I am running a one year old generic computer with Windows XP loaded. The internet access is Road Runner High Speed Cable. Another computer I've tried runs 1.1 very slow too. What type of computers have you tested it on that it runs well?
Old 05-11-2010, 8:47 AM

i likes!
Old 05-11-2010, 9:17 AM

I like it but as others have mentioned the page freezes and I have to close IE completely. It doesn't happen right away but after I browse a few threads.

This happens to my desktop at work, at home and my laptop. All three are running XP and all have high speed access (cable at home and DSL at work).
Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 AM

Is there a way to disable/remove the bottom bar? The one that says "Home" "Share this page" "translate this page" and number of people online? It takes up space I would rather have for viewing posts and threads. Thanks.

BTW, using new 1.1 skin, XP Pro, FireFox, seems fast and stable.

Calguns Foundation contributor
Old 05-11-2010, 12:34 PM

Default calguns 1.0 is the one

1.1 leaves something to be desired. I have had every problem previously mentioned in this thread.

lockups, freeze ups, global warming, kittens crying, keep the social features out of my life. (Most of the guys here smell bad, except Ivanimal, he smells goood)

seriously guys, I finally switched back to 1.0 (it wasn't very easy, with all the freeze ups) and now things are ok.
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws" From Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Old 05-12-2010, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSystems View Post
CGN Version 1.1 is painfully slow and has locked up. I am running a one year old generic computer with Windows XP loaded. The internet access is Road Runner High Speed Cable. Another computer I've tried runs 1.1 very slow too. What type of computers have you tested it on that it runs well?
Same here. I cannot use 1,1 at work. Scrolling is horribly slow. I had to use CTRL-ALT-DEL when IE locked up. I'm back to 1.0 at work.

I don't mind the look and feel of 1.1; I actually like it. But it needs to be usable.
Old 05-12-2010, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

The reports of slowness are interesting. As another data point, I have not noticed 1.1 being noticeably slower to load than 1.0 for me. I'm on a fairly fast computer (2.66GHz MacBook Pro), but my internet connection is a USB cellular modem out on the fringe of reception... it's better than dial-up, but not by a large factor. So, if the slowness was due to a connection bottleneck, I think I'd be the first to notice it. I'm using Safari as my browser, and running Snow Leopard. Is anybody else running a similar configuration to mine and seeing this slowness issue?
Old 05-12-2010, 2:25 PM

I like it!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 7:17 PM

Location: Granada Hills, So. Cal. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

BIG NEG. runs super super slow on my computer, maybe time for a new one, but till then, 1.0 for me

Last edited by 6266guy; 05-17-2010 at 9:58 PM..
Old 05-14-2010, 7:19 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Is there a way to disable/remove the bottom bar? The one that says "Home" "Share this page" "translate this page" and number of people online? It takes up space I would rather have for viewing posts and threads. Thanks.

BTW, using new 1.1 skin, XP Pro, FireFox, seems fast and stable.
Go to your User CP>Edit Options> Click the checkbox that says Invisible Mode.

This will make it appear as you are offline even when you are online. But it disables the chat bar.

One byproduct is that, while you are online, you will see a red dot next to your user name where it used to be green. Others will not see this; they will see the grey dot as if you were offline.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché
Old 05-14-2010, 7:21 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoplex View Post
Search this thread is missing.
Need this..... need this.... need this.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché
Old 05-15-2010, 10:08 AM

Not to beat a dead horse:

But I was working on a new computer and decided to check out calguns. I was thinking why is it so slow to scroll the page. It takes a second or two after the page loads before I can scroll with the bar or the mouse wheel.

Then I realized I was back to 1.1.

Whoever is customizing the site needs to do some serious debugging.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoplex
Search this thread is missing.
Need this..... need this.... need this.
I agree. I don't need the facebook or twitter gizmos, but a better search would add REAL value!
Old 05-15-2010, 7:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsreeftank View Post
I agree. I don't need the facebook or twitter gizmos, but a better search would add REAL value!
+1... Throw some lucene at it
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12
Old 05-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

The new version is really slow...I even called Cox to cmplain their service was jacked up....switched to version 1.0 tonight and its like the days of old..maybe its the banner loading on every page thats slowing the loading to a crawl...its definitly something...very glitzy too, locks me up from time to time.
Old 05-18-2010, 8:44 AM
Veteran Member

I just wanted to complain about all of the new spam I'm seeing since 1.1 was released. Spam posts seem to be sneaking by, which I know can be difficult to police, but what's even more aggravating is the chat spam. I've had several completely RANDOM non-posters *plu-whoop* try to open chat dialogues and then start spamming links or keywords like chinese gold farmers.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

What happened to the adds? I'm not seeing them. They're on 1.0 though.

Erik.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:55 PM

Where's the search within a thread option?
-g
Old 05-18-2010, 8:12 PM
Calguns Addict

1.1 seems slow to load/refresh.... 1.0 loaded instantly...
Old 05-18-2010, 9:31 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Would anyone with tech saavy who is experiencing slowness please contact me? We cannot duplicate these issues.

Postings are my own, and are not formal positions of any other entity, or legal advice.
Old 05-20-2010, 6:01 PM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Slower and clunkier here as well with 1.1, practically freezes.

Running on IE 7.062, OS (Vista Home Premium SP2)
Old 05-20-2010, 7:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have not read all of the responses here but this is what I am finding. The layout is nice. What I notice is how damn slow it is. I use Calguns at work and home on up to date systems and wow. It is painful to get around like I use to. I have almost stopped coming here because it is so slow. It is frusterating waiting for the site to respond 5 seconds after I click on a page. I am sad to say it is the slowest site that I go to. I know I am not the only one. Sammy
Old 05-20-2010, 8:26 PM

Default Can not find "Search this thread"...

In 1.0, once a thread was opened, there was a "Search This thread" to click on.
I cannot find it in the new version.
What am I missing???

"California: Everything here is either illegal or mandatory and the trick is to figure out which is which." SRG
Old 05-21-2010, 2:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Would anyone with tech saavy who is experiencing slowness please contact me? We cannot duplicate these issues.
well, I hate 1.1.

I get two or three error messages before I see much of the page. It takes a long time to settle down, jerks about up and down the page while I'm trying to find the post I want. I.E. (7) then grabs the processor and my system freezes for several minutes.

Then the header and RHS takes too much real estate and I could not care less about Twitter, Facebook and all that crap.

I offered to Kestryll, in a pm, to log the errors but got no reply. Just for the record, a lot of them are on either line 13 or line 1. Shouldn't be rocket science to find them, or I can go back and log a few more.

I've gone back to 1.0 - may you never discontinue it. No errors, no processor grabbing and more useful space.

All opinions expressed here are my own unless I say otherwise.
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Old 05-22-2010, 6:46 AM
Prawn Lives Matter
CGN Contributor

I'm not sure how 1.1 was enabled on my PC. I just found this thread and I'm glad that I did.
The past few weeks have been cluster waiting for pages to load and taking 20-30 seconds between clicks. Just clicked on 1.0 at OP and I have my old CalGuns back. Just like new cell phones with music, texting, and video. My question is why? Just give me a phone for phone calls. Don't have a use for an all in one gadget. -g
A choice of cancer or polio

-Jagger\Richards 68
Old 05-22-2010, 10:02 AM

I cannot find much that seem an improvement over the 1.0 really..

unless you like slower feeds,
and where the heck is the Itrader button??? o
r are we doing away with that feature??

anyway 1.1 sucks so far..hate the placement in the upper right etc...etc..gripe gripe..lol

as long as we can always access 1.0 I will keep coming back..
Old 05-22-2010, 6:25 PM

The first order of stremlining a site should be speed.
A slow moving site is frustrating, ie. 1.1
1.0 still rules and works the best.
Old 05-24-2010, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
The chat can be turned off by going in to the Control Panel, clicking on Edit Options and selecting the Use Invisible Mode check box.
The chat bar was really slowing things down on my work machine... Would only let me scroll one message at a time, and then it would have to repaint the screen... Horrible waste of valuable break time... By going without the chat bar it seems to have sped up the whole web page!!! Maybe a fix for other peoples speed problems?

Thanks to the link above and going invisible it got rid of the bottom chat bar.

Other than that, I've been liking the new format. Thanks Kestryll!!!

Last edited by Hunter158; 05-24-2010 at 9:22 AM.. Reason: Speed issues
Old 05-24-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etoshan View Post
In 1.0, once a thread was opened, there was a "Search This thread" to click on.
I cannot find it in the new version.
What am I missing???
I'm glad to see that I wasn't alone in missing this feature. However, without the Search this Thread feature, there is no easy way to search this thread to see how many folks beside you and me actually missing this feature as well.

-g
Old 05-24-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jado View Post
The first order of stremlining a site should be speed.
A slow moving site is frustrating, ie. 1.1
1.0 still rules and works the best.
I find 1.1 to be lickety-split fast on even a half-speed wireless connection, through FireFox on Windoze. I'm using AdBlock and NoScript to view CGN w/o ads, that probably contributes to the sense of zippie-ness.

Calguns Foundation contributor
Old 05-24-2010, 4:06 PM

The new format doesn't seem to work on my computer. It slows is down so much I have to close the browser after logging in. Tried it many times every time the same thing. If I click on 1.0 and log in it works fine. Please leave the 1.0 option for those of us with old slow computers.
Old 05-25-2010, 8:53 AM
Internet Folk Hero
CGN Contributor

The new version keeps bogging down my browser from time to time. I'll be sticking to the old version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklon View Post
The inevitable explosion gets closer and closer, coming in little steps, but closer every day.
I say: "Let's do it and get it over with."