Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-02-2010, 6:34 PM

Default Shell ejection etiquette?

So I'm a new rifle owner. I recently bought a Remmy 700, and took it out today for the first time. Never been to a rifle range before, and I'm a little unclear about protocol. The reason for the post is the guy 2 benches to my left was ejecting shells at like 1000mph, and every so often, one of them would clip me or my g/f. It was a little surprising, but didn't bother me until one knocked me in the head and left a welt. Now I wonder what the correct response is. Do I just act like nothing happened and move on with my day? Do I lay into a man with a loaded rifle? Do I suggest he modify his behavior? Or do I just move elsewhere? Thanks.

Fwiw, I just let it go and didn't mention it to him.
Old 05-02-2010, 6:37 PM

You showed great restraint, well done.

I think I would've politely asked him to use some kind of deflector to reflect them downwards. I'm sure he's not suppose to let them fly out like that across 2 lanes. Imagine if it was a busy day and someone was right next to him.

But you probably did the right thing as he did have a rifle in his hand.
Old 05-02-2010, 6:39 PM
Veteran Member

Considering that it's at a range and that ejected shells are part and parcel of the whole range gig, just move. Complaining about it would be like a fireman complaining about the smoke and flames at a call.
Old 05-02-2010, 6:48 PM
Veteran Member

Read this:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=295809

Match Director Sac Valley Vintage Military Rifle Long Range Match
Old 05-02-2010, 6:57 PM

In general, I always try to put up a spare target board to my right to deflect my spent shell casings. If I am going to be shooting standing I try to choose a bench that has a screen in-between me and the next person or the seat furthest at the end with a wall directly to my right.

If I am getting rained on by someone else's shells most of the time I'll just let them know I am getting rained on and offer to put up a deflector. Never had any problems with this as most people don't even realize they are hitting other people, so it's always nice to let them know in a nice manner.
Old 05-02-2010, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pthfndr View Post
Interesting. Seems to be 2 different camps:

1. Man up.
2. Move.

Normally shells hitting me don't bother, as in pistol shells or shotgun shells. But this guy's gun was putting some serious heat on his ejects. I don't know what kind of gun it was, but it was throwing shells faster than anything I've seen. I will just move next time.
Old 05-02-2010, 7:07 PM

My thought is that I'm on a gun range. I'm gonna get struck by brass. If it gets too annoying you wait for the guy to finish his string of fire....then you start yours. At one of the last classes I took, I finished my string of fire and started my scan. Turned right..clear. Turned left, shooter was performing a failure to fire drill....the non fired bullet came out of his ejection port at 100mph, I tilted my head back to avoid getting hit in the grill and the pointy tip of his bullet struck me right under the chin.

Its like going racing and expecting your windshield to stay clean...you make the best of it and enjoy your day.
Old 05-02-2010, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank1000 View Post
Now I wonder what the correct response is. Do I just act like nothing happened and move on with my day? Do I lay into a man with a loaded rifle? Do I suggest he modify his behavior? Or do I just move elsewhere? Thanks.

All you have to do was politely let him know that his brass is hitting you and your girlfriend during the next line break. No need to lay into him and no need to just take it. I doubt he was doing it on purpose and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't know his brass was hitting you.

I've been guilty of accidentally hitting people in the next lane with my brass before; I had no idea I was doing it at the time. They just let me know during the next line break, I set up a screen and the problem was solved.
Old 05-02-2010, 7:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i1800collect View Post
I doubt he was doing it on purpose and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't know his brass was hitting you.

I've been guilty of accidentally hitting people in the next lane with my brass before; I had no idea I was doing it at the time. They just let me know during the next line break, I set up a screen and the problem was solved.
^^^^This ^^^^
Old 05-02-2010, 7:49 PM
Veteran Member

What kind of rifle was he shooting? If he was shooting a bolt action, then he was doing that **** on purpose. If it was a semi auto, there's not much you can do about that except what has already been mentioned (bring a barrier, move, etc).
Old 05-02-2010, 7:50 PM
Veteran Member

lemme guess, mini-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I have yet to meet a bad calgunner. Gun people for the most part are the better side of society. That is my opinion.
Old 05-02-2010, 8:00 PM
Veteran Member

My brother usually lets his shells land on me until i tell him to step forward or something
Old 05-02-2010, 8:23 PM

I watched an M1 Carbine casing fly right into the "coin slot" exposed by pants riding too low.

Semiauto brass is HOT, too. RSO and I were both laughing, especially since my friend (who ejected the casing) had no idea he'd done it.

I go to a range that has pull-down screens between lanes, so this is never an issue for me.
Old 05-02-2010, 8:40 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Has to be a Mini-14. That's the only damn rifle that causes damage forward and right of the muzzle. Hate those rifles. I have a scar on my head from a jacka55 with a mini-14.

Ask the guy to please put up something to catch his brass. RO's can be helpful when dealing with guys who refuse to comply.
Old 05-02-2010, 9:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i1800collect View Post
All you have to do was politely let him know that his brass is hitting you and your girlfriend during the next line break. No need to lay into him and no need to just take it. I doubt he was doing it on purpose and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't know his brass was hitting you.

I know it wasnt me, I always put up a brass net.
Old 05-03-2010, 9:29 AM

A lot of rifles eject slightly back so that the brass will occasionally hit whoever is to the right. That's life on a shooting range. If he's shooting a bolt-gun then politely letting him know at the next break is not out of line. The key is to be polite. If you get aggressive with him he'll likely get defensive and tell you to GTFO.

If he's shooting a semi-auto he cannot control where his brass goes so your choices are 1) put up a screen if the range supplies them, 2) suck it up, or 3) move to another lane. Last time I took my Garand out, the guy to my right complained about getting hit by my brass. Unfortunately there was nothing I could do about it as the range doesn't supply adequate screens. I apologized as I honestly felt bad (.30-06 brass is pretty big) and I offered him a spare hat I had in my bag to protect his head. He declined and I think it was enough that I apologized so he left it at that and everything was cool.

FYI for next time, a hat with a visor will help keep brass out of your face and wraparound eyepro will protect your eyes.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:14 AM

I'm glad Angeles provides screens for free. I'd probably be covered in burns and welts otherwise by now.

Make your own hot wire cutter!

My AR Profile
Old 05-03-2010, 10:24 AM

I always show courtesy to others when I arrive when show up with my 7.62 FAL "Monster". It blows flames, is double loud, and really throws brass. It is appreciated and they usually put up with the beast.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Valar Dohaeris
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Rice Hats are great if you have brass hitting you.

But seriously, you have two options if you don't talk to flying brass man: man up or move.

WTS:.7.62x39/x54r Ammo
WTS: Savage 16 w/ Scope and Bipod
WTS: AK Furniture, Boresighter, 308 handguard
Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 AM

There is no better feeling than hot brass burning your skin!!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
So I'm a new rifle owner. I recently bought a Remmy 700, and took it out today for the first time. Never been to a rifle range before, and I'm a little unclear about protocol. The reason for the post is the guy 2 benches to my left was ejecting shells at like 1000mph, and every so often, one of them would clip me or my g/f. It was a little surprising, but didn't bother me until one knocked me in the head and left a welt. Now I wonder what the correct response is. Do I just act like nothing happened and move on with my day? Do I lay into a man with a loaded rifle? Do I suggest he modify his behavior? Or do I just move elsewhere? Thanks.

The correct response is to go over to that guy and tell him. Chances are he's a new shooter too and will take corrective actions once notified. (A lot of new shooters don't know where their brass is landing.)

You can also tell your g/f to stand further so his brass doesn't hit her. When I taught shooting, I'm constantly getting hit by brass from next lane because I'm almost always on the shooter's left instructing. If your g/f is standing there, then it'll be difficult to not get hit.

Sometimes, you can also put up a barrier near him to deflect his brass, just let him know and he'll very likely thank you as well.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Calguner Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Now I wonder what the correct response is. Do I just act like nothing happened and move on with my day? Do I lay into a man with a loaded rifle? Do I suggest he modify his behavior? Or do I just move elsewhere? Thanks.
What's wrong with people nowadays? Why cant people just talk???
You walk over politely, introduce yourself, and make him aware of the issue. Problem solved. It's amazing what polite civil attitude can accomplish.

People are so socially inept nowadays!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpsych View Post
In general, I always try to put up a spare target board to my right to deflect my spent shell casings. If I am going to be shooting standing I try to choose a bench that has a screen in-between me and the next person or the seat furthest at the end with a wall directly to my right.

If I am getting rained on by someone else's shells most of the time I'll just let them know I am getting rained on and offer to put up a deflector. Never had any problems with this as most people don't even realize they are hitting other people, so it's always nice to let them know in a nice manner.
Pretty much what I do. I always grab an extra target if we are at a range that doesn't have screen and I sandwich it between my range bag and ammo can to provide a deflector.

And if I'm getting pelted, I just ask the person next to me to do the same. Most people do. Never had someone act like an ******* yet....

"Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James "Chaos" Mattis, USMC
Old 05-03-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satex View Post
You walk over politely, introduce yourself, and make him aware of the issue. Problem solved. It's amazing what polite civil attitude can accomplish.

Kinda uncalled for. I have no problem talking to somebody about their shells. But I was asking because I don't know what the protocol is. If standard behavior is for shooters to mind their brass that's a different scenario than if it's the people around the shooter that are supposed to mind his brass. Relax buddy. It was just a question. Next time I'm unsure, I'll just assume it's the other guy's fault right?
Old 05-03-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Kinda uncalled for. I have no problem talking to somebody about their shells. But I was asking because I don't know what the protocol is. If standard behavior is for shooters to mind their brass that's a different scenario than if it's the people around the shooter that are supposed to mind his brass. Relax buddy. It was just a question. Next time I'm unsure, I'll just assume it's the other guy's fault right?
I think it was your comment about something w/ a loaded rifle or something. I sounded like a joke, but some people may not get it.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1133s View Post
I think it was your comment about something w/ a loaded rifle or something. I sounded like a joke, but some people may not get it.
Ah... yeah, that was definitely a joke. There needs to be a universal sarcasm font.
Old 05-03-2010, 3:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Was this at Chabot yesterday about 3pm?

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 05-03-2010, 3:33 PM

my psl literally launches its rather large shells about 10-12 feet it about 4 oclock behind me, it's caught a couple of people. I usually try to shoot at the far right bench next to the wall.

Honestly, if you aren't shooting and a shell hits you, just shift to the left or right a little.
Old 05-03-2010, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrickel View Post
Was this at Chabot yesterday about 3pm?
Bingo. Was there from 3-5.
Old 05-03-2010, 4:26 PM
Calguns Addict

I was the Indian guy shooting AK's on your right. When your gf got there I told her that she should set up on my left, since I was going to be throwing all kinds of brass to the right. The guy on your left was shooting a SIG 556, they throw brass hard and far just like an AK. His brass was hitting me too, but I'm not one to complain since my brass is always falling on people anyway. I figure if you're at a rifle range, then loud noises and hot brass flying around are going to be SOP.

When I'm really bothering people tho I will put up a small shield, like a cardboard target or rifle case.

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 05-03-2010, 4:37 PM

Oh right on, we appreciate your warning (my g/f says thanks for letting her know how to get set up on the range too. It was both our first time there).

Btw, your rig is freakin' LOUD! lol. Doesn't bother us though since my hearing is half gone from 20 years of drums and she's also a musician so plenty of hearing damage there too.

I'll just wear a hat next time. It really didn't bother me until the one clipped me in the temple.
Old 05-03-2010, 4:50 PM

You can always do what I do, get the left hand stag out and return brass.

The internet is like a 12 step group. Take what you need and leave the rest.
Old 05-03-2010, 5:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I personally USUALLY try to angle my rifle to get the most amount of ejected brass to hit the guy next to me.

Not really. LOL Im sure some guys just crapped bricks when they read that LOL. I usually try to see if there are shell deflectors. I usually bring two target stands. I made mine up like the ones at burro canyon. I set one up between me and the shooter to my left. I always let them know Im setting it up. Most people have no problem.

i usually try to either go on a private range OR go as far left position as I can with nobody to my left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satex View Post

I think everyone should have their cell # printed on the back of their shirt. This way we cal all text each other. LOL JK But you're right due to texting email and no face to face contact peopel are more rude. i remember when in order to get something done youhad to pick up the phone and SPEAK to someone or actually go meet with them to get XYZ done or bought.

I find it very easy to go talk to someone. Depending on how you approach someone is gonna make a difference on how they react. ive never had a problem at a range when I told people they were raining brass on me. 99% of the people were apologetic about it.

Last edited by Rob454; 05-03-2010 at 5:34 PM..
Old 05-03-2010, 6:05 PM
Calguns Addict

i could really care less about someone elses brass flying at me. im actually surprised one gave you a welt, i've never been hit that hard by empty brass.

IMO flying brass is part of the game. if it were really a big deal i suppose they would put up barriers between lanes or make a section for autoloaders to shower each other with glorious cascades of brass.

on a side note, my 1911 often times throws brass right in my face. i've considered cornering it and giving it a piece of my mind, but i think it would win the fight.

Last edited by Kerplow; 05-03-2010 at 6:09 PM..
Old 05-03-2010, 6:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

If you have the bad luck to be on the ejection side of somebody firing an HK 9 series rifle, try to get the shooter to set something up to catch or deflect the brass...

Other than that, ejected brass is all part of the normal environment of a range.
- Jeff Cooper

Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos
Old 05-03-2010, 7:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have nailed a few people with my M1 Garand and if I notice it I try to apologize. I need to set up a screen to catch all my brass. Not only to stop it from hitting people but also so I can reload it.
Old 05-03-2010, 7:38 PM
Calguns Addict

I've been nailed from a Garand too. The worse part is that it was from a friend and he was being a douche about it (at the time).

"...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."
Old 05-03-2010, 7:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
I've been nailed from a Garand too. The worse part is that it was from a friend and he was being a douche about it (at the time).
That case is pretty big and can hurt if hit right. I remember getting hit by one and it was surprisingly hard.
Old 05-03-2010, 7:59 PM
Calguns Addict

brass catcher bag from UTG or some other sort. I have seen demo carpet drapped over rifles, burlap sacs, and anything else that can catch brass.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Man that was some great Kool-Aid.......... hmmmmmm theres a hint of something metallic. Oh well guess I will get on with the voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTp View Post
So if you do ban me you will hear from my lawyer as to why you think you can violate peoples civil rights
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosinnagantm9130 View Post
Oh for ****s sake, now there are two of them.This is the type of **** anti's point to when they want to make us all look crazy.
Old 05-03-2010, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Splat View Post
Has to be a Mini-14. That's the only damn rifle that causes damage forward and right of the muzzle. Hate those rifles. I have a scar on my head from a jacka55 with a mini-14.

Ask the guy to please put up something to catch his brass. RO's can be helpful when dealing with guys who refuse to comply.
And not just any Mini 14 but I think it was the Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. The one with the integeral scope mounts. I had one years ago that wound spit brass 40 feet into the parking lot. Im not exagerating ether...
S.A.S.S #74217
.45 Colt Enthusiast
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ