Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-29-2010, 3:48 PM

Default ca legal ar pistol?

how to build a ca legal ar pistol? what do i need to do and don't do??
Old 04-29-2010, 3:52 PM

Buy pistol lower (it MUST be transferred as a pistol), buy pistol upper. No stock, no >10rd magazines, NO evil features such as vertical foregrips. Bullet button required. Never, ever, put a stock on your pistol lower or put your pistol upper on a rifle lower. Basically, if a weapon is DROS'd as a pistol it can remain a pistol. A weapon (or lower) DROS'd as a rifle can never become a pistol, even in legal configuration it would instead be an SBR. That's why you have to specifically DROS the lower as a pistol.

I believe that about sums it up. If you want to buy or sell an existing AR pistol, there is a special requirement to install a "sled" so you can transfer it as a single-shot pistol, since it's off-roster.

If I'm missing something, I'm sure someone will chime in.

Last edited by reidnez; 04-29-2010 at 3:54 PM..
Old 04-29-2010, 3:53 PM
Veteran Member

Already a thread going on about this same thing over in the handguns section - check it out!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=295826
iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?
Old 04-29-2010, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidnez View Post
Buy pistol lower (it MUST be transferred as a pistol), buy pistol upper. No stock, no >10rd magazines, NO evil features such as vertical foregrips. Bullet button required. Never, ever, put a stock on your pistol lower or put your pistol upper on a rifle lower. Basically, if a weapon is DROS'd as a pistol it can remain a pistol. A weapon (or lower) DROS'd as a rifle can never become a pistol, even in legal configuration it would instead be an SBR. That's why you have to specifically DROS the lower as a pistol.

I believe that about sums it up. If you want to buy or sell an existing AR pistol, there is a special requirement to install a "sled" so you can transfer it as a single-shot pistol, since it's off-roster.

If I'm missing something, I'm sure someone will chime in.

I believe you cannot just walk in and buy a pistol lower in Ca. you must have it PPT'd from someone who already has one. Or you can only buy them built complete as a single shot or find a shop that allows you to assemble them in shop and then begin DROS as a complete single shot pistol
Old 04-29-2010, 4:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Rifle Gear in Costa Mesa has AR pistols complete, on the rack, and ready to burn a hole in your wallet...
"Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.
Old 04-29-2010, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911su16b870 View Post
Rifle Gear in Costa Mesa has AR pistols complete, on the rack, and ready to burn a hole in your wallet...
http://riflegear.com/p-777-riflegear-ar-pistol.aspx

$1300 is not too bad a price. You'd have to shop aggressively to beat that on your own and still use quality components. I just may pick one up myself
Old 04-29-2010, 7:46 PM

Try Max @ Precision below is a link to his vendor post. If you are in the market he can get you a complete AR pistol for under $900, I recently bought a Kel Tec PLR 16 from him. A PLR might be the way to go they are gas pistol and run $695 and double as a flame thrower : )

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=273436

For your viewing pleasure, my PLR

My other AR Pistol Max Built for me
YHM lower, Magpul grip, Trigger guard, Trigger spring kit, BAD Device, Single shot sling, 7.5" upper with YHM Quad rail, I put a YHM Muzzle break on it. Have Magpul flip up sight and a cheap $50 sightmark red dot which I must say works pretty darn good.

I HAVE AMMO available
WTS 1,000 Rounds of .223 Ammo by PMC - 55gr FMJBT

://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=726840

Last edited by dpharley; 04-29-2010 at 7:51 PM..
Old 04-29-2010, 9:29 PM

I went the 80% route and slapped a model1sales 7.5inch upper on it.

The 80% was about $100~ and the upper was about $400
I already had a set of jigs from a previous build, but you can pick them up from Tactical Machining for $125

"A retreat by the United States from Vietnam would be a Communist victory, a victory of massive proportions and would lead to World War III"
- Richard Nixon, May 1966:
Old 04-29-2010, 10:44 PM

Can it be any virgin lower registered as a pistol or does it come from the factory intended as a pistol? Also am I correct in thinking a LEO can buy a stripped pistol lower?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Read thru the AR Pistol Picture thread. It is covered over and over and over again.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Lots of wrong info here.

There are only 3 ways of getting an AR pistol here:
1) PPT one that is already here
2) Ship one to your local dealer (from in or out of state) as a single shot AR pistol.
3) Build one from a 0-80%

1 = If one is already registered here you may PPT it. This means meeting the person face to face at the dealer and transferring it then and there. Off list handguns can be transfered through PPT with no issues.

2 = Ship one as a single shot, whether it is coming from out of state or in state. The reason is the roster. An FFL cannot deal unsafe handguns (PPT isn't considered dealing), so you must remove the roster requirements by making it a single shot, your barrel length also must be greater than 6'' and the overall length must be greater than 10.5''. Once the DROS is over and you pick it up, you can throw on whatever barrel length you want and remove the single shot mod (usually done with a bobsled mag).

3 = Building from a 0-80%, these can be found at VBD, yellow logic, tactical machining, Dlask, etc. You drill a few holes and cut open the FCG pocket to say the least. You can build this virgin receiver into a pistol.

You cannot buy a lower receiver in California and call it a pistol. The reason why is because of the roster. A lower receiver marked as a pistol would be considered an unsafe handgun and cannot be sold. The FFL dealer must sell it as a rifle. Federally it is marked as a frame/receiver, but the California DROS does not have this, only pistol and long gun. It must be marked as a long gun.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:23 PM

Yes LEOs can buy a stripped ar pistol lower
Old 04-30-2010, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood562 View Post
Yes LEOs can buy a stripped ar pistol lower
Thanks...
Old 04-30-2010, 4:40 PM
Calguns Addict

tag
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.