Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-26-2010, 7:01 PM

Default Review - Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner

Hello Calgunners.

I picked up a Winchester Coyote Lite in 270 WSM a few months ago and although I really like the cartridge (another review coming) I absolutely HATED cleaning the damn thing.

The short magnum cartridges leave an enormous amount of copper fouling in the barrel due to the high velocity and high gas pressures. I have been using my normal rotation of Hoppes #9 for powder and Sweets 7.62 for copper and I could NOT get the barrel clean....

I had heard of Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner and saw it at Turners so I decided to give it a shot.

Wow! Super easy to use. You just fill the barrel up with foam and let it sit for 30 minutes. Afterwards you just wipe it out with a patch. No brushing needed.

I had an absurd amount of fouling in the barrel because I have been laying down layer after layer of copper so it took me two applications. I never used a bore brush. After the second application the barrel literally looked new.

The foam turns blue as it leeches out the copper and black if it is leaching out powder so you can gauge if its working. Also, the foam is very thick so it does not run out of the barrel like some other foaming cleaners.

It warns not to get it on painted parts, synthetic stock, or wood so i wiped any excess off of my stock. It is thick foam so it wipes up really easy.

All in all it was a great product. If you have trouble getting out copper like I did I recommend you give it a shot. I am usually one who is very skeptical of the "new thing" in cleaners but I guess I was really behind the times.

Highly recommended.
Old 04-26-2010, 7:14 PM

Does it smell like solvent based products?
Old 04-26-2010, 7:22 PM

No.

I has no odor at all.

I used it indoors with no issues.
Old 04-26-2010, 8:15 PM
Veteran Member

I have been using this bore cleaner since it came out and it is great. I use it when shooting prairire dogs and it does wonders getting the fouling out after 500-1000 rnds. I would highly recommend it.
Old 04-26-2010, 8:18 PM

thanks! looks like a good product. I currently use BoreTech and love it. I'll try the Gunslick.
Old 04-26-2010, 9:49 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds cool. I use the Montana Xtreme Copper Killer (or whatever the last word is) and it absolutely destroyed all of the copper in my barrel. The only downside was it almost killed me when I first got it.

You know how most gun solvents have some kind of smell right? And when you smell them you only get dizzy after prolonged huffing right? Not with this one. I opened the cap, let the vapors disperse for several seconds, then I had my nose about 8 inches above the bottle while breathing normally (not trying to sniff yet). All of a sudden....KABLAM!!!!!!!

It felt like someone launched paint thinner up my nose and into a sinus cavity in my right front forehead(VERY painful). The inside of my nose actually had the feeling of being wet, but it just got raped by the vapors. I almost collapsed and I couldnt think or talk for about 10 minutes and almost called 911...if I could even figure out how to do it in that state.

So, this foaming bore cleaner of yours sounds awesome and potentially less dangerous than other bore cleaners. Ill definitely have to snag me some and try it out. Ill still use my Montana Xtreme since I have a bunch of it, but only outdoors and I will no longer breathe anywhere near it. I suggest you all do the same if you use Montana Xtreme Copper Remover/Killer.

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I use this once in a while. Works pretty good, but I still like Sweets 762 although it smells freakin horrible.

http://www.alliedbrassprocessing.com/
Professional Brass Processing Service of your 223/5.56, 300 AAC Blackout and 9MM brass at an affordable price
PM me about local dropoff and pickups
Old 04-26-2010, 11:02 PM

Another big Gunslick foaming bore cleaner fan. Works extremely well. I will foam up a bore, go have dinner or play with the kids, then come back and finish the rest of the job quickly. I would estimate that the number of patches down my bore is half of what it was with Sweets. No odor and a can lasts a long time.

It does an excellent job of eating away copper fouling as well. Also, if you have brass shavings worn into your rifle bolt or brass deflector, it will eat that away too.

One word of advice though. It will eat the black coating off a KAC triple tap brake! I know Inconel doesn't take a coating well so one application and the KAC bling is back....... ;>
Old 04-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

I've been really happy with Sharp Shoot R Wipe-Out Brushless Foaming bore- cleaner. Same deal; foam it up, let it sit, wipes clean with patches and a lot fewer patches than it needed before. No problems with the anodizing on any of my brakes.

I'll try the Gunslick foam; need some stuff from Midway anyway!
Old 04-26-2010, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member

How does this stuff work on lead fowling?
Old 04-27-2010, 2:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpach View Post
Sounds cool. I use the Montana Xtreme Copper Killer (or whatever the last word is) and it absolutely destroyed all of the copper in my barrel. The only downside was it almost killed me when I first got it.

You know how most gun solvents have some kind of smell right? And when you smell them you only get dizzy after prolonged huffing right? Not with this one. I opened the cap, let the vapors disperse for several seconds, then I had my nose about 8 inches above the bottle while breathing normally (not trying to sniff yet). All of a sudden....KABLAM!!!!!!!

It felt like someone launched paint thinner up my nose and into a sinus cavity in my right front forehead(VERY painful). The inside of my nose actually had the feeling of being wet, but it just got raped by the vapors. I almost collapsed and I couldnt think or talk for about 10 minutes and almost called 911...if I could even figure out how to do it in that state.

So, this foaming bore cleaner of yours sounds awesome and potentially less dangerous than other bore cleaners. Ill definitely have to snag me some and try it out. Ill still use my Montana Xtreme since I have a bunch of it, but only outdoors and I will no longer breathe anywhere near it. I suggest you all do the same if you use Montana Xtreme Copper Remover/Killer.
I had the EXACT same experience when I opened my first bottle of Montana Xtreme 50BMG solvent. HOLY CHRIST!!! I actually thought I was going to friggin' die. (NO exaggeration - just picture having a pencil torch *on FULL BLAST* being shoved up your nose; or simply snorting a line of a good sulfuric/battery acid cocktail) When I was able to breathe & think again, I realized that I might live after all, but that I was absolutely either going to lose my sense of smell OR even my nose itself! Let this be a lesson to anyone who has that "cat-like" curiosity about how unknown solvents smell. Remember what happened to the cat.

*FACTORY-CERTIFIED ARMORER IN SACRAMENTO*http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=393331 GUNS 4 SALE: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=923745 WILSON COMBAT MAGS------ http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=928518

Last edited by supersonic; 04-27-2010 at 2:12 AM..
Old 04-27-2010, 2:24 AM

I like this foam and the Gunslick UltraLube. Also partial to Otis solvent and Kleenbore stuff.
Old 04-27-2010, 7:43 AM

Anyone have problems using gunslick in a semi auto. The bottle says not suggested for semi. I am worried about it foaming in to the gas system of an AR and have a hell of a time getting it out.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 AM

I used it im my SKS without problem, but the SKS has a removable gas tube.

When i filled the barrel it did come up and out through the gas tube access hole. I just wiped away the excess and then cleaned out the hole with a blast of air and a q-tip. FYI, i am guessing that area had never been cleaned before. LOL the amount of carbon crap that came out of there was amazing...

If your semi-auto doesnt have a way to removed the gas tube and clean where the access hole is I would not use it unless you have a way to flush it back as the foam does creep through all the nooks and crannies.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Calguns Addict

I use that Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner on my AR too. No smell AT ALL, and seems to work pretty good, getting the bore clean with patches only, without having to use brushes (which I like). Just keep using it and patching until patches come out clean, no blue-green color to them, and you're good.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retzius View Post
If your semi-auto doesnt have a way to removed the gas tube and clean where the access hole is I would not use it unless you have a way to flush it back as the foam does creep through all the nooks and crannies.
I was worried about this at first as well. But the foam eventually just becomes a thin liquid. Whatever tiny amount makes it through the gas hole of the barrel just gets blown out upon firing the next round. 60,000 PSI will do that.
Old 04-27-2010, 2:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonic View Post
I had the EXACT same experience when I opened my first bottle of Montana Xtreme 50BMG solvent. HOLY CHRIST!!! I actually thought I was going to friggin' die. (NO exaggeration - just picture having a pencil torch *on FULL BLAST* being shoved up your nose; or simply snorting a line of a good sulfuric/battery acid cocktail) When I was able to breathe & think again, I realized that I might live after all, but that I was absolutely either going to lose my sense of smell OR even my nose itself! Let this be a lesson to anyone who has that "cat-like" curiosity about how unknown solvents smell. Remember what happened to the cat.
LOL Im glad that Im not the only one. That stuff may be extremely dangerous but it absolutely killed the copper in my barrel. Ive never seen anything like it.

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.
Old 04-27-2010, 2:59 PM

I'm gunna have to check out this foam next time I go to Turners, cleaning my .308 is a pain after a long day at the range.
Old 04-27-2010, 4:36 PM
Veteran Member

ditto. i plan on picking up a can. i usually dont have to use a brush to get rid of copper fouling, but my process usually takes two days to get the bore back to pristine. it does take alot of patches though. i use #9 until no more powder fouling evident, then let #9 sit overnite. patch out and repeat with BR-9. if copper is still around after after with BR-9, i go 10 min of shooters choice copper until no more copper present. it takes a while so i'm sure hoping this wipeout stuff works.
Old 04-27-2010, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrunner89 View Post
I'm gunna have to check out this foam next time I go to Turners, cleaning my .308 is a pain after a long day at the range.
Same here. My FAL takes FOREVER; wish DSA would provide chrome lining as an option.

http://www.shop42a.com/
Old 04-29-2010, 5:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpach View Post
LOL Im glad that Im not the only one. That stuff may be extremely dangerous but it absolutely killed the copper in my barrel. Ive never seen anything like it.
Agreed. I've used the Gunslick foam & it does work, but (like said above) it takes 15 min to 1/2 hr. to work. The M.E. is pretty much instant (even though I let it sit in my bore for about 3-5 min). M.E. Copper Killer, or "50 BMG SOLVENT" (as it is also known as) is the best stuff for RIPPING all the fouling out of your bore right now. But, unless you like feeling like you've been tasered in the face, don't get your schnozz within 2 feet of the stuff!

*FACTORY-CERTIFIED ARMORER IN SACRAMENTO*http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=393331 GUNS 4 SALE: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=923745 WILSON COMBAT MAGS------ http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=928518
Old 04-29-2010, 12:09 PM

If you have a semi-auto and you're worried about the foam getting into the gas system, you can use Bore-Tech Eliminator. It appears to me to be the same cleaning chemical as the foaming cleaners, minus the foaming agent.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:37 PM

how much does this gunslick usually go for?
[Luke 22:36] International Standard Version (2008)
Then he said to them, "But now whoever has a wallet must take it along, and his traveling bag, too. And the one who has no sword must sell his coat and buy one."