Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 04-26-2010, 5:23 PM

Default H & R "22 SPECIAL" - Inherited

I'm pretty new to the forum and firearm ownership in general. This last weekend my grandparents had an estate sale and I was given my Great-grandparent's .22 revolver as a gift.

I was hoping I could pick your collective brains to find out more about it. I only know what I have learned from some thread reading on other sites, and the obvious features of the firearm. Here's what I know (or think I know).

This pistol shoots .22LR and is stamped "Long Rifle CTC." on the barrel.
2 piece walnut grip with diamond pattern carved
Probably made prior to 1932
9 shot revolver
top-break with t-rib ejector
gold sight
double action trigger
"patent applied for" stamped on cylinder

This might be all there is to know, but any more info would be great! The weapon is is super condition, but I don't really know how to evaluate that from a "appraisal" point of view, so any thoughts on value would be helpful.

Thanks!

-=David

Old 04-26-2010, 6:41 PM
Veteran Member

Those are very cool revolvers, but only has marginal collector value. It looks like it's in great shape so you can probably figure $300+ for it if you find the right buyer. I would keep it though since it's a family heirloom. If you Google H&R 22 special, you can spend hours researching your revolver.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Old 04-26-2010, 6:46 PM
Veteran Member

That's a nice pistol. I have an h&r 929 revolver that I got from my uncle when he passed. It was never fired. But Like olhunter said it seems h&r pistols have almost no collector value so for me I know I can get anywhere between 1-150 your is different though and older so mybe a little more

BNIB M40 Gas Mask (medium)
Old 04-26-2010, 6:48 PM
Calguns Addict

I had one just like it except the hammer was broken on mine. Many parts do not exist for it. It is the ancestor to the 199 Sportsman and the model 999. I have the 777 Ultra which is like a 999 but only single action.

According to The Standard Catalog of Firearms 2009 your revolver is valued at 175 in excellent condition to 65 in poor condition. I would say it has value as a family heirloom.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper

I'm a seven percenter
Old 04-26-2010, 7:40 PM

I really appreciate all of the great info! I have no intention of letting the pistol leave the family at this point, but was generally curious about it's value.

It has a great history, and I would really like to fire it. It has made my wife interested in understanding and using firearms, so that's a win win!

Should I have any concerns with using modern ammo? Recommendations on long term care?

Thanks again.

-=David
Old 04-26-2010, 9:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Standard velocity ammo is probably best. The hammer was broken in two on mine and I never did find a replacement for it. If something does break internally there is a good chance that the revolver will be out of service. Probably not a revolver to plan on putting thousands of rounds through. H&R seemingly changed the revolver internals frequently. If you go to Gun Parts Corp you will see the tremendous variety of different series of serial number ranges and corresponding parts for each series.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper

I'm a seven percenter
Old 04-27-2010, 5:55 AM

Location: Seal Beach (90740) Just south of Long Beach, in Orange County.

Just FYI NONE of these H&R breaktop 9-shooters was EVER chambered for the ".22 Special," ."22 Remington Special," or ".22 WRF" cartridges, in spite of the model name. Glad yours is marked for the proper cartridge. It can also handle .22 short and long, just fine.

Some of the earliest of this model weren't marked .22 Long Rifle and people fretted about not being able to shoot ".22 Specials" in them.

A neat little gun! Very popular in its day.
Old 04-27-2010, 7:54 AM
Banned

Make sure the chambers are good & clean, then go get yourself a brick of .22 and go have some fun.