Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:42 PM

Default Magpul MOE Play?

I recently got a new Magpul MOE stock and it has quite a bit of play between the stock and the shaft it rides on (even when it's locked into position). Is this normal because my buddy's standard AR collapsible is very tight. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I have seen both. My MOE was sturdy as a rock, but have seen some that wiggle a lot. I ended up sticking with the CTR as it locks into place.

http://www.alliedbrassprocessing.com/
Professional Brass Processing Service of your 223/5.56, 300 AAC Blackout and 9MM brass at an affordable price
PM me about local dropoff and pickups
Old 04-24-2010, 12:49 AM

No it's not normal.

There are two different size buffer tubes available in the market: commercial spec (larger dia.) or milspec (smaller dia.)

Magpul makes stocks for both commercial and milspec tubes and you're probably using a commercial size stock on a milspec size tube. Replace your stock with the correct milspec version and that should cure your problem.

Your stock should come with a sheet that explains the difference and how to identify which type of tube you have, which helps determine the right size you need.

Last edited by darkest2000; 04-24-2010 at 12:55 AM..
Old 04-24-2010, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkest2000 View Post
No it's not normal.

There are two different size buffer tubes available in the market: commercial spec (larger dia.) or milspec (smaller dia.)

Magpul makes stocks for both commercial and milspec tubes and you're probably using a commercial size stock on a milspec size tube. Replace your stock with the correct milspec version and that should cure your problem.

Your stock should come with a sheet that explains the difference and how to identify which type of tube you have, which helps determine the right size you need.
Thanks for the info I didn;t know that. The stock came with the rifle I bought new at the gun store so no sheet.
Old 04-24-2010, 3:14 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Even if you have the correct buffer tube/stock size, sometimes it isn't super tight.

http://www.alliedbrassprocessing.com/
Professional Brass Processing Service of your 223/5.56, 300 AAC Blackout and 9MM brass at an affordable price
PM me about local dropoff and pickups
Old 04-24-2010, 5:35 AM

I ordered a CTR stock and received an MOE by mistake from the seller. I tried it on my rifle because I was going to consider keeping it and ask for a partial refund but the wobble, although slight, bothered me so much that I exchanged it for the CTR.
Old 04-24-2010, 7:05 AM

Pretty much all collapsible stocks are going to have some play in them. Stocks like the CTR have an additional friction lock to remove most of the play once the stock is locked in place, but magpul eliminated that feature from the MOE to reduce the price.

Basically differences in fit that you see between different stocks are more likely because of differences in tolerances between stocks and buffer tubes. Nothing much you can do about that.
Old 04-24-2010, 9:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Stock wiggle should be normal.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

The MOE stock has wiggles in varying degrees. The CTR pretty much eliminated that with the friction lock.

Super Robot VOLTES V
Old 04-24-2010, 5:03 PM

I just got a LMT stock and there is minute to no wiggle. It made the magpul one look cheap.
Old 04-24-2010, 7:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Yep, sometimes the MOE will have play, thats why its cheaper than the CTR. they took locking feature away to reduce the price.