Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-19-2010, 9:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation Assemblyman Jim Beall's Staff Refuses to Take pro-RKBA Calls!

Assembly Member Jim Beall, Jr. (D-24)
(916) 319-2024
Assemblymember.Beall@assembly.ca.gov

I just got off the phone trying to tell Assemblymember Beall's staff that I'd like him to support American's 2nd A RKBA by voting against AB1934 (UOC ban) which will be before the Assembly Public Safety Committee tomorrow. Unfortunately, his aide hung up on me as soon as I mentioned the 2nd A. I called back and as soon as he heard my voice, he hung up again. This happened 2 more times before he put the answering machine on to block incoming calls.

I waited ~10 min and called back and the same thing happened 2x before he put the answering machine on again.

I tried their local office's number, but it went straight to answering machine.
District Office:
100 Paseo De San Antonio, Suite 300
San Jose, CA 95113
Tel: (408) 282-8920
Fax: (408) 282-8927

Since Jim Beall's contact webpage says, "Assembly Member Beall welcomes opinions and ideas on issues affecting California" (http://democrats.assembly.ca.gov/mem...t/default.aspx), I'm sure he'd appreciate hearing from other Calgunners re. their opinions of AB1934 (banning UOC). After all, Democrats are supposed to support democracy, the rule of the People.

Using your cellphone saves you the long distance charge.

You can see the borders of his "unusually shaped" district at:
http://democrats.assembly.ca.gov/mem...t/default.aspx

ETA: See post #13 on the 2nd page for "the rest of the story." Bottom line: I complained to the Chairman's office, they contacted Beall's office, and the roadblock to democracy was removed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Supporting CGF at the expense of supporting NRA is wildly stupid. . . .

Never, ever, ever choose not to be an NRA member.

-Gene
185+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-19-2010 at 8:36 PM..
Old 04-19-2010, 9:49 AM

Looks like jim beall has his mind made up already, but that's shldnt stop us,
Old 04-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Banned

Called em all (916 numbers). "Hi, please vote no on AB 1934" - responses were thank you and we'll pass that along. Hill's receptionist asked for my name, I hung up, and Skinner's receptionist didn't respond before I hung up.

Maybe what I said was too stealthy for their 2A filter?

Last edited by N6ATF; 04-19-2010 at 10:31 AM..
Old 04-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

scumbags.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Banned

Hey, at least they rape your liberties with a telephone smile.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Google maps is your friend. Prepare for your call with proper information.

Jim Beall is a POS and is unfortunately "my" representative.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Google maps is your friend. Prepare for your call with proper information.

Jim Beall is a POS and is unfortunately "my" representative.
+1 I always have their web page opened and give my first name and the zip code of their local office...always in their district.

Sorry to hear Beall is you Rep. Mine isn't much better. Fran Pavley and Brad Sherman.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Assemblymembers (and Senators) when sitting in committee are representing their entire chamber (Assembly or Senate), and thus the entire state and have to (or are supposed to) hear the opinions of all Californians.

Be sure to remind them of that if they try to get rid of you by saying you're not in their district.

Quote:

-Gene
Old 04-19-2010, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Assemblymembers (and Senators) when sitting in committee are representing their entire chamber (Assembly or Senate), and thus the entire state and have to (or are supposed to) hear the opinions of all Californians.

Be sure to remind them of that if they try to get rid of you by saying you're not in their district.
Sounds like an appealing argument, but is there any legislation or statutory instrument which supports such a position?

NTM
Old 04-19-2010, 7:02 PM

Wow, I can't believe it. These a-holes are supposed to be working for us. That is just infuriating.
Old 04-19-2010, 7:16 PM

Thanks Paladin for the posting. He is my representative, and I just sent him an email, which some aide will likely delete. I have contacted his office several times in the past with only generic responses stating his opposition to all my comments of the intentions of our founding fathers.

Don't give up. That is what they are hoping we will do.
Old 04-19-2010, 7:28 PM

I'll probably have a swat team out at my house tonight since I contacted him by e-mail and and told him I would encourage all the friends I have in the gun owner's world and the motorcycle community in his district to actively campaign against him if his staff did in fact hang up on callers asking for support in defeating gun bills. I made no threats otehr than to work hard against his reelection even if I did not live in his district. And if my rep was a friend of his then I would work to see that rep bounced as well in my district simply because he/she was Beall's friend. I kind of made it clear that he was a servant and as such should be listening to California taxpayers.
Old 04-19-2010, 8:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Just wanted to give you guys an update.

After being stopped from even stating my position on AB1934 by that aide, I wondered if the aide was acting on orders from Beall, or if the guy was a lose cannon keeping Beall in the dark about what Californians want. I figured the former was unlikely -- all the other reps' aides, both Dems and Repubs, were polite and professional even if there is no way in heck they'd oppose a 2nd A rights restriction bill (aka "gun control"). That meant Beall could have an aide trying to isolate him from the will of the People.

That really concerned me, so I figured the Chairman of the Public Safety Committee, Ammiano, would want to know that someone is frustrating efforts of the public to reach one of his committee members. His aide was sympathetic and said she'd directly contact a Beall senior staff member and pass my experience along. She also suggested to try calling back a few hours later. I did and this time a woman answered Beall's phone and was polite and professional in listening to my brief (~1 min) opinion on AB1934.

Hopefully, the guy who kept hanging up was an intern who has been reprimanded and/or relieved of phone duty. I'll assume that was the case unless this happens again in the future w/other bills.

Quote:

-Gene
Old 04-19-2010, 8:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Moran View Post
Sounds like an appealing argument, but is there any legislation or statutory instrument which supports such a position?

NTM
I think it just comes with the job. Don't know of any defining rule, reg, or statue that imposes that duty. But consider the following: (1) it makes sense: the members are like "at large" reps for the Assembly.

(2) In years past, when cmte aides have tried to cut me off, when I've used that argument, they've said "you're right."

(3) This year I haven't had any cmte aides try to brush me off w/the "you're not in our district" line, but, out of habit, I've used my argument on them when they've asked my city or ZIP code, and they've said, no, we're not saying you shouldn't call, we're just keep tabs on what parts of the state are calling.

(4) The NRA-ILA sends out emails to members telling them to contact ALL members of cmtes about certain bills, not just their own reps (assuming their own rep is on the cmte). The NRA-ILA usually gets these sort of things right

So, I feel reasonably confident that my argument is correct even if I cannot cite an authority for it.

Quote:

-Gene
Old 04-19-2010, 8:27 PM

Good going Paladin and hopefully you reached someone that can change things. I spent 33 years in state service and got reprimanded because I told my staff that while they were state workers they were also public servants being paid by the public to serve the public. Hearing something like this kind of sets me off because all the paychecks in that office come from taxpayer dollars and they are not serving the public when they do this. Again, thanks for taking the calmer road. I am still waiting on the swat team (LOL-see prior comment about e-mail). If they don't show up soon I am going to bed (LOL).

Last edited by big red; 04-19-2010 at 8:31 PM..