Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-12-2010, 9:12 PM

Default ak 74 80% receiver

Where can I find a 80% ak 74 receiver?
I will sit by the freshwater creek that runs through my yard and laugh, wait for the bay area folks to start trickling north, then sell off my cheapie C&R collection at inflated prices. "You like my sporterized M44 mosin eh? I'll take your middle daughter and all your jewlery".
you just gotta know how to work these situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
"Ruger semi-auto pistols are well made, but they are ugly.Life is too short to collect ugly guns"
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcaveman View Post
Butt-stroking is for wooden rifles
Old 04-13-2010, 2:01 AM
Veteran Member

I presume you mean AK-74 flats: http://www.ak-builder.com/index.php?...ategory_id=171

Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

- Mihail Timofeevič Kalašnikov -
Old 04-13-2010, 8:52 AM

I spoke to Curtis at AK builder on 4-12, he said the AK 74 (fixed stock) flats will be available in about three weeks. It looks like the sidefoler 5.45 flats are still available.
Old 04-13-2010, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mef223 View Post
I spoke to Curtis at AK builder on 4-12, he said the AK 74 (fixed stock) flats will be available in about three weeks. It looks like the sidefoler 5.45 flats are still available.
Are ak receivers stock specific? How do you know what fits and what doesn't? Trying out first build.

Also what do you recommend Bulgarian, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, Yugo?
I will sit by the freshwater creek that runs through my yard and laugh, wait for the bay area folks to start trickling north, then sell off my cheapie C&R collection at inflated prices. "You like my sporterized M44 mosin eh? I'll take your middle daughter and all your jewlery".
you just gotta know how to work these situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
"Ruger semi-auto pistols are well made, but they are ugly.Life is too short to collect ugly guns"
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcaveman View Post
Butt-stroking is for wooden rifles

Last edited by coltn46920; 04-13-2010 at 8:37 PM..
Old 04-13-2010, 8:43 PM

The ak74 fixed stock and sidefolding stock receivers do have different hole/cut patterns in the rear trunnion area. As for which kit to get, I don't know enough about the different countries' rifles to make a recommendation. When I bought my AK74 kit (Bulgarian), I just shopped for a matching #s kit that still included the original barrel.
Old 04-13-2010, 9:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If this is a first build you need to have the kit first and then get the correct receiver/flat.

Do you have a bending jig or will you be going to a build party where they have a jig and someone with experience to help you bend it?

If not then an 80% is an option but everyone I have talked to that built an 80% said they wouldn't do it again. There are probably people out there that swear by 80% builds. An 80% can typically be done with just a Dremel and drill press. Though you will still need to weld the rails.

As far as recommending a kit my personal preference is Romanian (7.62) or Bulgarian (5.45). That said I own Romanian, Bulgarian, Hungarian and Polish. I always go with a numbers matching kits with original barrel.

I personally avoid Yugo kits as the barrels are not chrome lined and most of the military ammo from the Warsaw pact countries ranges for mildly to very corrosive. Again there are a ton of people here that have build Yugo and will probably have good things to say.

Good luck and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to PM.

-JP