Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-07-2010, 7:53 AM

Default Age to buy rifle ammo in CA

I have a question im 18 and i can go to the local gun store or walmart when they have ammo and buy a few boxes of rifle ammo with no problems at all but when i go to order it online it says i must be 21 on some websites. The only reason i bring this up is because there was a calgunner on the ammo sales selling some rifle ammo at a really good price and wanted to buy it but at the bottom of his post he said must be over 21 to buy. Now my question is what is the age to buy rifle ammo in California? and why do some websites say you have to be over 21 to buy?Did a law go through or something that i dont know about that changed the age from 18 to 21
Thank you very much
Old 04-07-2010, 7:59 AM

IIRC in CA it's 18 for ammunition designed for rifles and 21 for ammunition designed for pistols. I think some sellers don't feel comfortable selling to anyone younger than 21. If it's something like 22lr it can technically be used in a pistol so the sellers could be covering themselves there. Hope that helps some.
October 1, 1957 - One-dollar silver certificates bearing the motto “In God We Trust” entered circulation for the first time. They were the first currency to bear the motto.
Old 04-07-2010, 8:07 AM

Ok Thank You i was just wondering because ive had to pass up alot of good deals on rifle ammo because the seller or the website would'nt sell to me because of my age and i thought maybe a law was passed that i didn't hear about but thank you very much
Old 04-07-2010, 8:11 AM

When did this law change? I clearly remember being able to buy .22 before i was 18.

Foreign Car Center
Vallejo, CA
Old 04-07-2010, 8:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdrift View Post
When did this law change? I clearly remember being able to buy .22 before i was 18.
You can buy .22lr, .38, .357, .44mag, 9mm, .45LC, .45acp or any other round for your rifle at 18 but, if the seller has reason to believe that you are going to use it in a handgun, the seller has a duty not to sell it to you.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 04-07-2010, 8:21 AM

Some places will sell like the law "sounds", all long rifle and shotgun ammo to 18 year olds, and obvious pistol ammo to 21 year olds. What they forget is that theres a large amount of "rifle" ammo that is shot from pistols. .223, .22, 410 to name a few. I'd say a smart seller keeps a tight watch on this, it could cause some serious problems for buisness if they were ever caught. When I was 18-20 this made me furious when places only sold to 21, but now I get it.

Last edited by CornFedWB; 04-07-2010 at 8:28 AM..
Old 04-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Some online ammo retailers utilize UPS's and FedEx Ground's "adult signature required" service as a way to verify that they are shipping to an adult. Unfortunately those carriers use 21 years of age as their definition of adult. This is probably because 99% of the time that service is being used for wine shipments. It would be too complicated for them to have an 18+ year old signature required service and a 21+ year old signature required service.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 04-07-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssr. Eleganté View Post
Some online ammo retailers utilize UPS's and FedEx Ground's "adult signature required" service as a way to verify that they are shipping to an adult. Unfortunately those carriers use 21 years of age as their definition of adult. This is probably because 99% of the time that service is being used for wine shipments. It would be too complicated for them to have an 18+ year old signature required service and a 21+ year old signature required service.
The last time that happened for me Sig returned my pistole with "Adult Signature Required" on the box and the shipping lable.

Fedex allowed my 15 year old to sign for the gun.

Fedex couldn't care less. The manager I spoke with claimed not all the driver's follow the rules when they are pressed for time and a person answers the door.

Sig did care however.

Got Zydrate?

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.