Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 04-04-2010, 2:46 PM
Banned in Amsterdam
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Remarkably helpful: ATF Firearms Curios or Relics List

I'm new to the C&R world, having just received my license about a month ago. I've only received the license, no rules, laws, or guidance materials were included. So, I was perusing the ATF website and came across this document: http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...-p-5300-11.pdf

It's a PDF format document that describes much of the Federal rules regarding the C&R world. In addition to listings of firearms officially deemed to be C&R, there are around 10 pages of important information for holders of Collectors Licenses.

I hope this isn't a dupe, and others find it as useful as I have.

"Shot placement trumps all."

Old 04-04-2010, 3:11 PM

ATF usually sends a packet about a week or so after the license with the C&R List and some other info.

"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men." - General George S. Patton Jr.
Old 04-04-2010, 3:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Welcome to the Curio and Relic world. Be advised, California has a rule the Feds don't have, the guns must be 50 years old to be a C&R. For instance, the cz82 is listed but is not over 50 years old.
Guys, help us out here with any must know C&R rules.
Also, you can have c&r long guns sent to California, but handguns must be sent to an 01 dealer. If you buy a c&r out of state, you drive it in, fill out the DOJ form and send in you 19 bucks to DOJ. Also, with your license you don't need a handgun card for c&r hand guns. If you have your Certificate of acceptance from california, you do not have a 10 day waiting period and can buy as many c&r handguns as you want.
Old 04-04-2010, 3:48 PM
Banned in Amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
... Be advised, California has a rule the Feds don't have, the guns must be 50 years old to be a C&R. For instance, the cz82 is listed but is not over 50 years old...
Thanks for the info. I'd like to amplify on the point you make above, to be sure I'm interpreting things correctly.

I've heard that California does not regulate the transfer of long guns over 50 years old. I've also read that California uses the Federal definition for C&R. If the Feds say it's C&R, so does California.

If the C&R in question is being imported from outside of the State, I imagine both Federal and State rules apply, meaning if its more than 50 years old I can import it directly using my 03 FFL. If it's less than 50 years old I need to go through an 01 FFL here in California, even though both Fed and State say it's C&R.

Do I have that right?

And I understand the "Safe Handgun Roster" does not apply to the import of C&R handguns. Further, all C&R handguns must be transferred through an 01 FFL unless physically imported into the State by me (I have my COE and understand that registration and fees still apply).

"Shot placement trumps all."

Old 04-04-2010, 4:11 PM

How long should i wait before contacting the BATF for the packet? I received my License about a month and a half ago now and still no paper work bundle.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=10566996

Ak Parts kit, 80% AR-10
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=707022
Old 04-04-2010, 4:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
Welcome to the Curio and Relic world. Be advised, California has a rule the Feds don't have, the guns must be 50 years old to be a C&R.
This is incorrect. If the Feds say it's C&R, CA says it's C&R. The CA law about 50 year and older long guns is because CA exempts those firearms from the REQUIREMENT that the transfer has be done by a 01 FFL. That way those firearms can be transferred directly between 2 private citizens of CA.

Quote:
For instance, the cz82 is listed but is not over 50 years old.
By both Fed and CA law it's still a C&R firearm. You just cannot transfer it without using a 01 FFL

Quote:
Guys, help us out here with any must know C&R rules.
Also, you can have c&r long guns sent to California, but handguns must be sent to an 01 dealer. If you buy a c&r out of state, you drive it in, fill out the DOJ form and send in you 19 bucks to DOJ. Also, with your license you don't need a handgun card for c&r hand guns. If you have your Certificate of acceptance from california, you do not have a 10 day waiting period and can buy as many c&r handguns as you want.
It's not a "certificate of acceptance". It's a "certificate of eligibility" or COE for short.

Match Director Sac Valley Vintage Military Rifle Long Range Match
Old 04-04-2010, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-120 View Post
How long should i wait before contacting the BATF for the packet? I received my License about a month and a half ago now and still no paper work bundle.
Took four months for mine to arrive. I have the C&R list with the regs in my bound book binder.
Old 04-04-2010, 7:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pthfndr View Post
This is incorrect. If the Feds say it's C&R, CA says it's C&R. The CA law about 50 year and older long guns is because CA exempts those firearms from the REQUIREMENT that the transfer has be done by a 01 FFL. That way those firearms can be transferred directly between 2 private citizens of CA.

By both Fed and CA law it's still a C&R firearm. You just cannot transfer it without using a 01 FFL

It's not a "certificate of acceptance". It's a "certificate of eligibility" or COE for short.
You are correct, thank you, don't know where my brain fade came from.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:31 PM

For example, I find a beautiful Garand for sale in AZ. I can buy it there and drive it to CA. (as long as it's 50 years old) send the CA DOJ, 19 bucks and I'm good to go, right?
Old 04-05-2010, 1:07 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjrt View Post
For example, I find a beautiful Garand for sale in AZ. I can buy it there and drive it to CA. (as long as it's 50 years old)...
The 50+ year old C&R long gun thing only applies to acquisition that take place inside of California. When a California C&R FFL is traveling outside of California they can acquire C&R handguns and C&R long guns of any age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjrt View Post
...send the CA DOJ, 19 bucks and I'm good to go, right?
You wouldn't send in the $19 and report to CalDOJ for a long gun like the Garand. You only send in that report and $19 for C&R handguns acquired while outside of California.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 04-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Calguns Addict

If you find that Garand in AZ on the internet, with your license, you can also have it shipped to you. All CA legal long guns can be shipped in from another state.