Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2011, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreed View Post
^ can we bring in the brands you guys sell / know you can use or the range or is it strictly your pmc? thanks
Unfortunately, what we have experienced is some folks will take packaging from say PMC, and place surplus ammo in the box. Some of this surplus ammo has who knows what kind of boolits in it. So, we require centerfire rifle and shotgun ammo be purchased at the range at the time it is shot.

A couple of bad characters ruin it for everybody.

Old 10-08-2011, 1:00 PM

Is there any rural areas to shoot at

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2011, 8:22 PM

Slabsides- Can we use our own ammo in our own handguns or do we have to purchase ammo from you guys? Also, is it kosher to pick up our brass when done?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:41 PM

@sjd78, with a "Centerfire", "Magnum", "M&P" or "C&R" membership you are more than welcome to bring your own handgun ammo, or purchase it from us at a discount. You sure may pick up your own brass, we just ask that you push forward what brass may be on the floor before you start shooting.

Old 10-10-2011, 3:46 PM

Thank You for the quick response! I appreciate it!
Old 10-11-2011, 7:07 AM

You Bet!! Look forward to seeing you at the range.

Old 10-12-2011, 9:54 AM

We are having our October Indoor Shooting League match on the 27th....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njcHk11tTIQ

Hope to see you all here.

Wayne

Old 10-12-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjonesgtaw View Post
i have to second that, ole boys has always treated me right and always had what i needed except an abundant supply of wolf 7.62 that i require lol. i do hope that ol boys will cater to the black rifle crowed more, stalking stuff like mag locks, kydex grips and rebuild kits in the future.

i will absolutely not shop at 2nd amendment anymore. their arrogant comments have pushed me away from ever shopping their again.

back on topic though, i do occasionally shoot out by tupman. i take stockdale highway west out of bakersfield past the 5fw, and take the first left afterwards towards the tule elk reserve, fallow the bend until you run into a T in the road. take a left(south) and go down towards the first canal which should be an offshoot of the kern river, take the dirt road west on the north side of the river and fallow it down to the bridge. from there in for about a mile you can shoot and have no problems. ive been out there and shot with sheriffs, CO's etc. normally there are targets setup and brass galore for the reloading guys.
ive known of this spot from other shooters, but does anyone know what type of land it is? is it BLM or private property? with the new ban on open carry i want to try to figure it out in case i were to decide to go out there one day.
Old 10-12-2011, 6:56 PM

Dont pay to shoot! I go to a place all the time in taft. Ill google map it later and show you it but it is about 100 yards with a large hill as the stop. I shoot there very often and the oil field workers just wave at me and even the chp didnt care
Old 10-13-2011, 8:11 PM

Muchosmangos!!! If you're thinking about giving up a map to the steel tabled shooting spot...please don't!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:12 PM

We had our Zombie Shoot last night at Ole Boy Outdoors. Had a great turnout and a few Calgunners made it.

Black light and Zombies are fun..

Old 11-03-2011, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Rat View Post
Muchosmangos!!! If you're thinking about giving up a map to the steel tabled shooting spot...please don't!
Why the heck not? Maybe some other Calguners in the area would like to utilize it.
Old 11-20-2011, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd78 View Post
Why the heck not? Maybe some other Calguners in the area would like to utilize it.
Because it's hard enough to keep clean up there. The more people who are going there, the more chance there is that it will end up getting shut down for the messes that keep getting left there.
Old 12-01-2011, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Because it's hard enough to keep clean up there. The more people who are going there, the more chance there is that it will end up getting shut down for the messes that keep getting left there.
So by your logic, punish the good because of the bad? Have you ever thought that the more good people who shoot there may equal less mess? How bout just pm the location to those who are really interested? That way it's not just out there for everyone to see?
Old 12-02-2011, 5:37 PM

I'm not punishing anybody. If I see you out there I'll even say hi.
Old 12-20-2011, 2:19 PM

You guys talking about all these G14 classified shooting spots is pretty annoying. If you find a good spot where you are legally allowed to shoot, why would you not share it? My guess is, it's not a legal spot, but somewhere on private property you're getting away with it and don't want an increase in traffic to ruin it for you.

I've recently gotten more into target shooting and have been scouring the web for places to shoot, since it seems all the places I shot with my uncle 25 years ago are all fenced off or posted as private property. Heck maybe they were then, and I just didn't notice, but my uncle worked for Fish & Game so I just assumed we were someplace it was ok.

One place we used to go, I visited today just to check it out and see if it was still possible to shoot at, is off Breckenridge Rd. You go east on Breckenridge off Comanche Hwy about 3 miles or so, and there is what appears to be the perfect spot to shoot with lots of open area and a huge hill for a backdrop. Everything on that side of the road is wide open without any no trespassing or any kind of signs, but the other side of the road is fenced off and clearly marked private property. Is this area ok to shoot in? There are several spots I saw with hundreds of shell casings (and up the road a few miles further a spot with thousands of shell casings and target trash) so people are obviously shooting here a lot.

The one thing I am most concerned with is keeping it legal, so I'm not going to shoot anywhere I am 100% certain that it is ok to do so. I've had friends tell/show me spots where they go, and I know they're not legal, and I don't want to risk it personally. I'm also trying to avoid paying for a membership at a range if at all possible.

I did find one decent spot yesterday off Rancheria Rd in the Sequoia National Forest, but it'd be nice to find somewhere a bit closer.

If you do have a good legal spot to shoot, but don't want to put it out in the public domain, I'd greatly appreciate a PM with the location. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2011, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yehosha View Post
...There are several spots I saw with hundreds of shell casings (and up the road a few miles further a spot with thousands of shell casings and target trash) so people are obviously shooting here a lot.
The bold reasons are why many do not want to give away their shooting spots. The trash/junk that accumulates at a spot is just more excuses people will use for the spot being closed down. Unfortunately, there is plenty of sport shooters out there that do not clean up after themselves and do not care to leave an area how they found it. I do not accuse anyone of this, but the fact cannot be ignored.

For the Learned Rifleman
Old 12-24-2011, 4:15 AM

I just purchased a membership at Ole Boys, everyone there is helpful and have great attitudes. Loyal member for life!!!
Old 12-24-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerNo1 View Post
The bold reasons are why many do not want to give away their shooting spots. The trash/junk that accumulates at a spot is just more excuses people will use for the spot being closed down. Unfortunately, there is plenty of sport shooters out there that do not clean up after themselves and do not care to leave an area how they found it. I do not accuse anyone of this, but the fact cannot be ignored.
We have a winner!
Old 12-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Calguns Addict

I second the notion that 2nd amendment sports stinks. I will smelt my own iron and build my own guns before I ever spend a dime at SAS.

I was a long time customer of Mr. Janes when he ran it; now he moved to Arizona and the people I have dealt with are full of FUD. When I took the CCW class, they told me a gun and ammo had to be in separate passenger compartments.

For years, they refused to sell AR-15's stating they were "assault weapons". Only after other gun shops took the "risk" and started selling them, making money, did they start selling them.

When I wanted to purchase a .50 caliber rifle before the ban, they refused to charge me a standard Internet transfer fee of $100-$250. They told me it would be $35 + 15% of the total retail value of the rifle, or $525.

The final nail in the coffin for me was when I tried to do a PPT there and they wanted to charge me $85.00 and when confronted with the penal code, they said " I don't care what you have, the PPT fee is $35, but we have a storage fee of $50.."

When Janes and Bussy ran it, it was the place to go... I took two of their CCW classes and 2 of their "martial arms" tactical handgun defense courses over a period of several years. Since that time, Don Bussy is long gone, and Janes is off having real fun in a free state.

Go to Ole Boys... it's just down the street...

As far as places to shoot... there are MANY.. the closest free place to shoot is only 7 miles outside the city... it is 1 square mile of BLM land... but it's my secret spot. I don't want it being abused by stupid people. You too can find it if you go to the BLM office on Pegasys and buy a map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:42 PM

Do you guys honestly think that the type of people that trash a shooting spot would be perusing this site? It's possible, but unlikely. Sure a google search could bring them here, but do these redneck hillbillies even know how to use the internet?
Old 12-24-2011, 12:45 PM

I asked this in the gunsmithing forum, but maybe I'll get an answer here.

I recently acquired a 1969 Browning A5 shotgun from my Step-Dad and it needs some work. It was his Dad's gun and it has been sitting in the case unused for over 30 years (a shame I know.) It shoots fine but does not eject the shell and load the next; you have to manually do it. So that needs to be fixed and I also need to make sure that I have the bronze friction piece and the bevel ring set up correctly for the type of ammo I will be using.

What I'm looking for is an good, honest gunsmith that will do a good job and not charge an outrageous price. I know I could take it to Valley Gun or Ole Boys or 2nd Amendment, but they'll probably charge the most as well. Anyone have someone they recommend?

Last edited by Yehosha; 12-24-2011 at 1:44 PM..
Old 12-24-2011, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Do you guys honestly think that the type of people that trash a shooting spot would be perusing this site? It's possible, but unlikely. Sure a google search could bring them here, but do these redneck hillbillies even know how to use the internet?
Yes, I believe there are people on this very site who would leave a mess in the field.Sure not everybody, probably not you even. But there a re those types right here on this very board.

Yes, the redneck hillbillies you speak of can use the internet, I assure you.

I'm not trying to be a jackass here, but the internet is not some piece of super high technology that requires special access these days.

Just get out there and hit the back roads and the hill country on the westside, you'll find what you're looking for. If you look close enough, you might even find me.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I asked this in the gunsmithing forum, but maybe I'll get an answer here.

I recently acquired a 1969 Browning A5 shotgun from my Step-Dad and it needs some work. It was his Dad's gun and it has been sitting in the case unused for over 30 years (a shame I know.) It shoots fine but does not eject the shell and load the next; you have to manually do it. So that needs to be fixed and I also need to make sure that I have the bronze friction piece and the bevel ring set up correctly for the type of ammo I will be using.

What I'm looking for is an good, honest gunsmith that will do a good job and not charge an outrageous price. I know I could take it to Valley Gun or Ole Boys or 2nd Amendment, but they'll probably charge the most as well. Anyone have someone they recommend?
I talked to a local gentlemen that works on C&R firearms in the Bakersfield area about a year ago. He often has a booth at the gunshows. I will look to see if I can find his card.

For the Learned Rifleman
Old 12-26-2011, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerNo1 View Post
I talked to a local gentlemen that works on C&R firearms in the Bakersfield area about a year ago. He often has a booth at the gunshows. I will look to see if I can find his card.
Thanks. If I don't hear anything soon, I'll just take it in to Ole Boys.
Old 12-29-2011, 9:40 PM

Dropped my gun off today with the guy RugerNo1 directed me to. Said he'd have it back by early next week and is charging a very nominal fee. He's retired, but takes on some work when he has the time, mostly restorations. If anyone is in need of work done, send me a PM and I'll give you his name & number.

FYI Valley Gun is backed up 8 weeks out and Ole Boys isn't even taking smithing jobs til next month. Very surprised in a city this big that there are so few gunsmiths.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:39 AM

Yehosha...a good, qualified gun smith is hard to find. Plenty of folks out there are tinkerers, but few are properly trained and certified. Berge Kirkorian of KFW (works out of but is not employed by Ole Boy Outdoors) IS a trained, certified smith. Attended Lassen College. He is in demand, but turns out great work.

But about places to shoot.......

We start our Ole Boy Outdoors Indoor Shooting League on the 26th of January with the "Ring In The New Year!" shoot. Ought to be a lot of fun. We are going to have a full twelve month schedule this year.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I have lost a very good shooting spot to locked Forrest Service gates on Greenhorn. The official reason for the closure was "extreme fire hazard" but in reality, it was constant petitioning to the forest service by nearby residents about debris blowing into their properties from the shooting place. "Shooters" would take fridges, TV's, propane tanks, you name it, to the site and blow the crap out of it because "it is public land that the cops can't kick you off of..."

Often it's not the people I show who do that crap... I show a guy... who shows a guy... who brings his kid... and then his kid comes back with his punk friends and does stupid stuff because they think they have a free pass.

My favorite shooting place is an oil and gas lease 7 miles outside Bakersfield. I know this place is bullet proof because I had the oil company call the sheriff on me when I refused to leave. I showed the sheriff deputy the map, told him to call BLM... which he did, and it was all confirmed by BLM... shooting is legal there as long as you don't shoot up equipment. Because I've been "caught" shooting there so many times by the oil company, they know who I am and they don't bother me any more. That is because when I am there, I clean up crap other people have dumped. I often leave the area with a truck bed full of debris because some loser didn't want to drive to the dump.

I have found that if you make people do a little research, they value the spot, and are less likely to abuse it, or tell anyone else about it lest they lose it...

That being said, if you go to the BLM office on Pegasus and buy a BLM map for the Bakersfield area.... I can show you how to read the map... and then I can ride with you to the spot and show you where it is on the promise that you keep it close and personal... only allowing responsible people to know where it is at.... and you might buy me a cheeseburger for my time...

You're going to need a BLM map any time you visit the area... it's the only thing that kept me from being issued a citation for trespassing... Any time you are shooting on public land, it is a VERY good idea to have a map with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Old 01-07-2012, 8:11 PM
Concerned Senior Member
CGN Contributor

Location: ........In a Constitutional Concerned Community.........

I know its not Bakersfield, but we have a good long range here in Ridgecrest. Guns4US, Tom's range...nice pistol range, all the way to 1000 yrds...all covered with benches and shooting tables...for $25 a year you cant go wrong. and its a nice drive, Try the fillet migion at Charlies Grill..fantastic!
Old 01-07-2012, 8:16 PM
Concerned Senior Member
CGN Contributor

Location: ........In a Constitutional Concerned Community.........

If any one is having trouble with gun stores, just come on down to Jon's Gunworks in Ridgecrest, super nice guy, legit business out of his renovated garage, minimal inventory, but he orders whatever you need with very slight markup, and he is a 2nd amendment kinda guy..cheers, J
Old 01-10-2012, 11:05 AM

I called the BLM office on Pagasus. They said there is no BLM land in or around Bakersfield where it is legal to shoot. He said that doesn't stop people, but the closest legal land is in Sequoia National Forrest. Can anyone else confirm if they have heard this from BLM?

@slabsides: I have a few friends that have gone to Ole Boy to shoot. They said there is a rule about no rapid fire (shots must be spaced at least a second apart). One guy said they kept getting reprimanded over the loud speaker for rapid fire when it was actually two shots from two different lanes. Another guy was telling me that he was practicing what he was taught at his CCW class that was taught at Ole Boy (controlled pair). He was told to stop shooting twice in a row or he would have to leave.

I can understand safety, but what's the deal? Why can't someone practice shooting two shots, re-evaluate, the re-engage? I can also understand not going all "gansta", unloading a magazine while one-handing the gun at a 90 degree angle. Sure, put a stop to that. But if someone wants to safely practice being able to fire multiple rounds into a target, why not?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 4:56 PM

Because not all mall ninjas and noobs can control a "pair" and they end up at best shooting the target hangers, floor and walls. At worst they might shoot who knows what else.

I don't know you USDalum97, so I'm not speaking to your skills. Just making broad sweeping generalizations.
Old 01-10-2012, 5:00 PM

Why you gotta call me out lol

jk

Wish I was there now instead of sitting trolling the boards...

Last edited by thepunisher; 01-10-2012 at 5:05 PM..
Old 01-10-2012, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Because not all mall ninjas and noobs can control a "pair" and they end up at best shooting the target hangers, floor and walls. At worst they might shoot who knows what else.

I don't know you USDalum97, so I'm not speaking to your skills. Just making broad sweeping generalizations.
No worries, no offense taken.

I understand the generalization, but that's a prerty weak excuse. Plenty of new shooters can't hit the target with a single, well-aimed shot either. I don't know if you work there, but if you do and that is truly the reason at this range, then I won't go there. That reasoning would tell me that they cater to the new shooter (or the moron crowd I described in the last post), rather than an experienced shooter who wants to better their real-world skills.

I want to be able to practice the way I am going to shoot. In a self defense situation, I don't want to wait a second in between 2 shots. I really don't think it is unreasonable.

As a side note, I did go in the other day to look around for the first time. The place was very clean, the employees I interacted with were friendly, and the range looked nice (I like the diamond plating in the range).

Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-10-2012, 9:37 PM

I do not work there. But I do happen to know that that range cost them really close to 1 million dollars high/low. If I owned it, I wouldn't want the ceiling shot up or the floor skinned up.

I know their Range Master personally and He's a good one.

If you want to do that kind of shooting, you can look at these places

TAFT IDPA at Taft Sportsmens Club in Taft

5 Dogs Action Shooters IDPAand USPSA

At these places you will find Master Class shooters all the way down to D class. You will find a place to fit in with either of these clubs or even both clubs, I shoot with both clubs and occasionally shoot with the guys at SLO too.
Good luck!
Old 01-11-2012, 2:00 PM

Here's the deal US...When dealing with the public, it is impossible to please everybody all of the time. In running the range, I have to deal to the lowest common demonstrator all the time. That means that if I let ONE shooter unload as fast as they can, I have to be prepared to let ALL shooters do the same, and I just can not do that. Desert Rat was right, the range was a HUGE investment,and we want it to last, but more importantly, with all manner of shooters and their families using the range at all times, I am principally looking out for everyone's safety.

As to controlled pairs....what most folks don't understand or care about, is I have a camera on every shooter in the range. And unlike some other ranges around, I watch those cameras. And if I hear what sounds like "fast shooting" I pin point who is doing what before I say a word. A controlled pair with a pause is fine, but when I watch a guy rip em off, he gets called on it. PLUS it is explained to everyone before they use the range that our range is a slow fire range.

We want folks to enjoy our range and use it to shoot their handguns, rifles and shotguns. We just ask that folks respect our rules and other shooters.

Old 01-13-2012, 3:45 PM

Possible Bakersfield Clean Up / Meet n Greet

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=522581
Old 01-15-2012, 9:10 PM

First post here....Started looking around the internet because I wanted to shoot on BLM property. Stumbled across this site, can't believe I never saw it before. Grew up in Ridgecrest and the BLM range I have been to for years is always being threatened to get closed down because all of the people that leave all the crap laying around. BLM members are going out there and cleaning up all the trash that is left there....
Been in Bakersfield for the past 14 or so years and have never found a spot that is close to town that I have not been asked to leave. For a long time, I have gone out to the Taft area and shot out there. Very open, but a long drive. The last time I was there, I was at the table and could not believe how much trash was covering the ground out there. Almost like a dump site. Pretty ridiculous that there are those few that ruin it for all! I have found that 5 Dogs is a very nice place to shoot, pretty much anything you want and only a little over 20 miles away from Bakersfield. Getting ready to go to Ole Boys on Thursday with a buddy.
I really wish we had a place like that Tom's Range out in Ridgecrest. Like an earlier poster said, $25/year $100/5 years, no other fees. Covered, give you the combo to the place, go there anytime during daylight hours, perfect!
Old 01-19-2012, 9:33 AM

I went to Ole Boys yesterday as a guest, pretty nice place! Shot with a buddy for about 2.5 hours. Well lit, well ventilated, heat blowing on you, and I shot pretty well. Met a gentleman that let me shoot his Kimber (very nice gun) and some of his reloads. Just might have to get me a membership there.
Old 02-01-2012, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabsides View Post
2nd Amendment isn't a bad place to shoot. It's close if you live in town.

I've burned a lot of powder up behind the fire station in Frazier Park. Great spot. Just please, please, please clean up after yourself and someone else if you can.
Is this area still open? I haven't been there in a few years and have heard conflicting stories about its status.

+1 on cleaning up. We often shoot over tarps to cut the cleanup time, and take a load of brass/hulls/trash out. The trick there is to clean up a bunch before you shoot, so that you don't "look forward" to policing the place after the shooting is over.