Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 04-04-2010, 8:41 AM

Default Looking for a place to plink and then clean it all up

I'm in Marin county in the Bay Area. I'm looking for a place were I can plink with my 9mm Handgun and AR-15. I'm looking for a place close by maybe a place that people dont clean up that often so I can go out there and clean it up while I'm there. I'm looking for a place were I can do it legaly not a place were people just dont get caught. I want to shoot some targets, cans, wet news papers ect.

Once again I'll be cleaning this area up so if you know about any places like this that are not treated that well let me know. You can send me a PM if its a place you dont want to share with everyone in the world. Thanks

If you need website hosting, contact me and we might be able to work something out for a good deal.

Photos from my last trip to Front Sight Click here.
A few training certificates available if your interested.
Old 04-04-2010, 9:09 AM
Calguns Addict

It's probably closer to just go to Circle S and pay the $10. I have not been there, but there is a place in Healdsburg that is supposed to be BLM. Then there is Cow Mountain outside Ukiah.

I would love closer places, but I haven't heard any.
Old 04-04-2010, 9:22 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Want to drive down to meet us for the Panoche clean up? It'll probably be a 4 hour drive for you though, just guessing.

Turby
Old 04-04-2010, 9:53 AM

I live in Marin too and have heard of Circle S. I've heard different things about it from different people, some saying OLL type rifles are fine while others say they aren't. Can someone who has been there recently clear up the FUD?
Old 04-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Calguns Addict

I was there twice two weeks ago with my OLL and my buddy was there with his. While there, there were at least half a dozen other OLLs. No issues. There was a cop there with his patrol rifle and we got to talking about stupid California gun laws. I've been out there and seen OLL, bullet button AK's, Cali Legal CX4, and some others.

It is wet out there. I would recommend rain boots for walking out to the targets. If not, wear something you don't mind getting dirty. We also bring clays to throw up on the burm for reactive targets.
Old 04-04-2010, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher416 View Post
I live in Marin too and have heard of Circle S. I've heard different things about it from different people, some saying OLL type rifles are fine while others say they aren't. Can someone who has been there recently clear up the FUD?
They don't care what guns you shoot as long as you do it in a safe manner. I shoot there all the time with my bullet button AR and have never been hassled. If you go on the weekends it seems like every other person has an AR and nobody even bats an eye.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
Want to drive down to meet us for the Panoche clean up? It'll probably be a 4 hour drive for you though, just guessing.

Turby
Trying to find something closer. If you find something close by I dont even have to shoot just want to help clean up if its close by. Thanks

If you need website hosting, contact me and we might be able to work something out for a good deal.

Photos from my last trip to Front Sight Click here.
A few training certificates available if your interested.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Ok, so just curious, why don't you commence your own search? Call up your nearest BLM office, ask some questions. See if they can direct you in the right direction. I'm not familiar enough with your area to be able to help out.

Turby
Old 04-05-2010, 1:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Circle S is no problem with OLL. I've seen many there. $10 to shoot all day, but it's not plinking. Assigned targets at specified distances only. They do allow putting clays on the rifle berms. Rifle ranges out to 300 yards. It does indeed get wet and muddy there, and once the wind starts to blow in the early afternoon long range rifle work becomes difficult at best. It blows a gale nearly every afternoon.

If you want to "just plink" the closest to you is probably Pine Flat Road outside of Healdsburg. There is a bunch of guys looking to pull together a cleanup and there is a thread for it within the Range Cleanups forum. It may be BLM land and it may not be, I don't think we've ever determined that officially.

The next closest to Marin are Boggs State Forest in Lake County and Cow Mountain, which is BLM, near Ukiah. Each of those will be a ~2 hour drive from Marin, but still plenty closer than Panoche to Marin County.

You might want to ask around and see if any of the ranchers out in West Marin still have their own private ranges. I shot on several when I was in high school and just out of it, I grew up in Marin, but that was over 30 years ago and all my contacts are long dried up.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

Last edited by BigDogatPlay; 04-05-2010 at 1:26 PM..
Old 04-05-2010, 2:38 PM

I'm going up to Napa/Vallejo next month, is Circle S close by? Are there any similar places to shoot close to Napa or Vallejo?
Old 04-05-2010, 4:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Circle S is west of Petaluma, near the Two Rock Coast Guard station, about a forty minute drive from Napa.

Napa Gun Club is above Napa off Monticello Road, but it's private and guests only, and they aren't even taking membership applications at the moment. Don't know if there are any members here on CGN.

Valley of the Moon Trap Club between Napa and Sonoma has public shooting on Wednesday and Sunday mornings, their modest rifle and pistol range is strictly members only.

Next closest place I can think of to Napa or Vallejo for outdoors is United Sportsmen in Concord. No idea how they feel about OLL as I've never been there.

There are a couple of commercial indoor ranges in Vacaville about a half hour east of Napa.

There are no informal shooting spots in or around Napa or Vallejo anymore that I am aware of. Knoxville Road above Lake Berryessa is still open to hunting in season, IIRC, but no target shooting anymore that I know of. The old pumphouse on the mudflats west of Vallejo on Highway 37 has been off limits for many years. Fired thousands of rounds out there back in the day.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

Last edited by BigDogatPlay; 04-05-2010 at 4:48 PM..
Old 04-05-2010, 6:49 PM

Thanks for the info, Bigdog.
Old 04-05-2010, 7:11 PM

Thanks for clearing up the FUD, I know which range to visit now.
Old 04-08-2010, 5:27 PM

I do recall a place in Berryessa and its free,
fish and game stop by now and then
and there is hunting if you like.
just past the lake
and OHV use
Old 04-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbull View Post
I do recall a place in Berryessa and its free,
fish and game stop by now and then
and there is hunting if you like.
just past the lake
and OHV use
BLM closed Knoxville to all target shooting in 2008,

You can hunt there, in season, and it's still an active OHV area but that's it. The shooting area was a constant trash heap, as I understand it, and BLM got tired of dealing with it.

Quote: