Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2015, 12:37 AM

Default What's it like at SAC Valley Shooting Center?

Hey peeps,

This Monday I'm going to go to Sac Valley Shooting Center and was wondering what it's like. I've never been there and me and some friends are heading there from San Francisco early morning.

If some of you can give me your thoughts, experiences, and advice I'd appreciate it.

I plan to bring my CZ75 SP01, Romanian PSL, AR pistol, and my 20" AR

THANKS!
Mosin Nagant 91/30 PU Sniper
Glock 21SF/34/19
AKM Underfolder
Springfield Armory TRP
Mossberg 590A1/500/930/Maverick 88

Old 02-28-2015, 7:03 AM

Best range in all of Northern California, I would say all of California, but have not been to any in SoCal.
I would bring your lunch if you are staying all day.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GunFunShooter View Post
Best range in all of Northern California, I would say all of California, but have not been to any in SoCal.
I would bring your lunch if you are staying all day.
+1.

This is by far my favorite outdoor range. My boys (8 and 10) like the .22/rimfire range with plenty of metal targets to knock over. The people that work here are nice and easy to deal with.
Old 02-28-2015, 1:05 PM
Veteran Member

Best range I've ever been too. Been a member for years and signed up the first time I went.
Old 02-28-2015, 1:06 PM

I'll drive an hour to shoot there over the 10 minutes to the one close to me.
Old 02-28-2015, 1:12 PM

I live 2 minutes from cordova shooting center but drive 35 minutes to go to sac valley. Clean range and lots of room to not be hit by ejecting brass.
Old 02-28-2015, 1:22 PM

It's a great place to shoot. Non-members can shoot on the 'public' range, which includes about 60 rifle stations, handguns, and rimfire (rifles and pistols). There are other ranges including action pistol and long range rifle, but they're for members only. This range is measured in ACRES, not square feet. (Wednesdays and Thursdays are "members only", so pay attention to that when you're planning a trip).

Public Ranges:

Rifle - 300 yard, 11 positions shaded
Rifle - 100 yard, 52 positions covered
Pistol - 50 yard, 24 positions covered
Rim Fire (.22 caliber) - reactive target range, 8 positions covered
Shotgun - 4 Trap, 2 Skeet, 5 Stand Sporting Clays
Range Map
For more information about each range click the range map.
Member Ranges:

Action Pistol
Pistol Silhouette
100 Meter Rifle
1000 Yard Rifle
NRA
Rifle Silhouette
200 Yard Rifle

They have structured shooting sessions on the public ranges, run by the range masters in "the tower". You shoot for a while, they call a cease fire, you change out targets, step back to the bench and shoot. One word of caution, the range masters are all about safety and they're totally not kidding when they correct you. If you're not used to structured shooting sessions, keep your ears open for direction.

You'll like it, it's the best outdoor range I've ever seen. Check out their website for further info. http://www.sacvalley.org/
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 02-28-2015 at 1:28 PM..
Old 02-28-2015, 1:26 PM

For those you should be qualified to use range #2. That is the action pistol range and is by far the most fun. You can shoot three gun there as well as handguns.
Old 02-28-2015, 6:38 PM

Awesome responses. Are there steel targets on the rifle range?
Glock 21SF/34/19
AKM Underfolder
Springfield Armory TRP

Old 02-28-2015, 9:09 PM

There is a steel range, but you must be a club member and be certified to use that range.
Old 03-01-2015, 6:48 PM

Go on the club page of the website. There are all kinds of fun clubs that put on matches. From muzzle loaders, cow boy action, john c grand, and military rifle silouete. All the people are friendly and most clubs do not require you to be a member to shoot in the matches. Fantastic time.... BTW the cowboy action range is bad *** and tons of fun. Also if you want to shoot steel join one of the military rifle silouete matches, they have a new class for semi autos including ars.

Last edited by sapper911; 03-01-2015 at 6:51 PM..
Old 03-02-2015, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustEd View Post
For those you should be qualified to use range #2. That is the action pistol range and is by far the most fun. You can shoot three gun there as well as handguns.
You must be a member, or the guest of a member to use the Action Pistol Range and you must qualify with an instructor in advance, because you act as your own RSO there.

But it's way fun, draw-from holster and all.
Old 03-02-2015, 2:06 PM
Veteran Member

They will also let you use a rolling target stand to shoot short-barreled home defense shotguns (e.g., Remington 870 Tactical Express, etc.) from the handicapped benches (assuming they're not being used by someone who needs special accommodations). It's great because you can see how your chosen HD shotgun ammo will pattern at different distances ranging from 5 to 25 yards.

If you have a .22 rifle, bring it along to knock over metal targets. It's a blast.

The first time I went there, I texted my wife saying, "This place is like Disneyland for adults!"

Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 03-02-2015 at 2:09 PM..
Old 03-02-2015, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
You must be a member, or the guest of a member to use the Action Pistol Range and you must qualify with an instructor in advance, because you act as your own RSO there.

That's what I said. There is a bimonthly class to certify people to use this range. It is a short class focusing primarly on the rules for range 2.
Old 03-03-2015, 3:17 PM

Mr. Gillious, did you get to Sac Valley, and if so, how did you like the range?
Old 03-04-2015, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GunFunShooter View Post
Mr. Gillious, did you get to Sac Valley, and if so, how did you like the range?
I did indeed go to Sac Valley Monday morning and me and some friends were the last to leave.

I started out with handgun and was happy enough with my groups.

After handgun, my group wanted to shoot rifles. My buddy's girlfriend wanted to shoot at the 22 steel plinking range and I wanted some of that action too. Unfortunately my ruger .22 rimfire pistol failed becase it was too dirty so I used my buddy's Marlin 22 and that was tons of fun. I was killin it.

Then I got on the 100 yard rifle range to qualify for the 300 yard line. I was shooting my Romanian PSL and made a group sufficient enough to put me on the 300 yard. I got on the 300 yard and with my 4x scope on my PSL I was hitting paper. My PSL isn't the most accurate rifle of all so I was just heating up my gun having fun seeing how my PSL was taking the abuse. I was shooting prone the whole time. I tried shooting my Chicom SKS at 300 yards but couldn't see what I was hitting. I think it was hitting low.

Overall, I had an awesome time and I'd definitely be back at the 300 yard line when I build my SAM-R inspired AR-15.
Glock 21SF/34/19
AKM Underfolder
Springfield Armory TRP

Old 03-08-2015, 3:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post

You must be a FULL member.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 03-11-2015, 6:02 PM

The Sac Valley Swap Meet has been announced for Saturday May 23. Only members may sell at the Swap Meet, but anyone can come and buy stuff. Early birds win at this game. Starts at 8 am I believe, but don't quote me. There's no telling what might be available, so bring cash, id's and a shopping bag.

To clarify JDay's remark, Sac Valley has VOTING members and NON-VOTING members. New Voting Memberships will only be offered when the number of voting members drops below 1911. That might happen by members failing to pay their dues on time, resigning, passing away, etc. The benefits of Voting Membership are $3 a day range fees, larger discounts on merchandise and use of all the ranges after qualification.

Non-voting members can apply to become voting members after passing certain criteria (see below links). The process to become a voting member is totally not about seniority. It's about commitment and initiative, so if you have a non-voting membership, get off the couch and start the process. She who completes the process first, gets the prize when a voting member drops out. (This info should be verified with the Range Operations Manager or a Board Member).

You may well ask, how did Voting Members get to be Voting Members. Short and sweet - they were members before the moratorium on new memberships. Early birds get the goodies, almost always.

Now, lest people get uppity about being a Non-Voting member, you still get to shoot ALL DAY for $5 bucks. And all memberships are Family Memberships, it's a family kind of place, so you, beloved significant other and kids under 18 get to shoot ALL DAY for one $ 5 buck fee. You can't beat that price anywhere. (Similar structure for Voting Members).

If you are not a member at all, the rate is $14 for ALL DAY, per adult. Kids under a certain age are free, call the range office for info on that, I can't remember.

I believe Active Duty Military and LEOs shoot all day for free or at a deep discount. Again call the range office. Bring your id if you are not in uniform.

Here's what the Sac Valley web site says about memberships:.

Voting Membership: Voting Memberships are limited to 1,911 members. Voting Members have access to all available range facilities, with successful completion of an orientation if required for a specific area. Voting Members can reduce their dues by providing volunteer work at the range prior to the next member year. Regular Voting Members must complete 10 hours per year, and Senior Voting Members must complete 5 hours to qualify for the discounted dues. See the Operations Manager for details. Daily shooting fee is $3.00 for the public ranges and $5.00 for the competition ranges. Voting Members also receive a 15% discount on merchandise in our store.

Regular Voting Membership (below 60 years of age) - $150.00 (Jan 1 - Dec 31)
Senior Voting Membership (60 years of age and above) - $75.00 (Jan 1 - Dec 31)

Non-Voting Membership: Non-Voting Members have reduced cost access to the public ranges 7 days a week. Non-Voting Members may have access to private range facilities as a guest of a Voting Member or as part of a club match or other event open to the public. Daily Shooting fee is $5.00 for the public ranges. Non-Voting Members also receive a 7.5% discount on merchandise in our store.

Regular Non-Voting Membership (below 60 years of age) - $125.00 (Jan 1 - Dec 31)
Senior Non-Voting Membership (60 years of age and above) - $65.00 (Jan 1 - Dec 31)

How to Become a Voting Member: The first step to becoming a Voting Member is to review the 2 documents below. If you have any questions you can contact the Membership Committee or attend one of our board meetings.

http://www.sacvalley.org/membership/...ing_Member.pdf

http://www.sacvalley.org/membership/...er_Process.pdf

Last edited by BonnieB; 03-11-2015 at 6:22 PM..