Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Break in time for a semi auto .22 rifle

I bought a pre 68 Mossberg 351k .22 semi auto rifle from a buddy. It had been his Dad's and may have had a box of shells through it before I got it. When I used it it would barely get 50 rounds through before jamming and needing to be disassembled. then it made it to 100 rounds. I almost gave up on it but kept taking it to the range and using it. I realized today that it is up to a couple hundred or three hundred rounds and still functioning before cleaning although I do squirt it down with WD40 after each trip. I'm not used to a .22 needing to break in but I'm glad I kept after this one. By the time I get to a thousand rounds it may actually function fine! I busts me up reading the manual where they recommend using gasoline as a solvent to clean the action!

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper

I'm a seven percenter
Old 04-04-2010, 10:28 AM

There are way better cleaner/lubricants on the market. WD 40 is a great cleaner but when it comes to lubrication or rust inhibiting properties WD doesn't measure up. There have been some threads that discuss properties for better protection and lubrication here and rimfirecentral. Just trying to help get the most out of your gun.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:43 AM

1) dont use wd40....use a gun oil
2) yes, i have seen guns shoot better after a few hundred rounds through them.

i had a 17m2 barrel that shot 4" groups at 25 yards when i first shot it, and after about 300 rounds, it settled down and is now putting holes on top of holes.

sometimes, guns need to smooth themselves out.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Calguns Addict

The problem with this rifle hasn't been lubrication but fouling. The tolerances are too tight and the build up of fouling causes mis-feeds. The WD40 sluices it out and lets it keep functioning.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper

I'm a seven percenter
Old 04-04-2010, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
The problem with this rifle hasn't been lubrication but fouling. The tolerances are too tight and the build up of fouling causes mis-feeds. The WD40 sluices it out and lets it keep functioning.
smle-man,

As you may or may not know is that 22's in general are dirty and pistols/rifles get fouled fairly quick. In your case your best bet is to get a manual or the rifle and break it down for cleaning. DON'T clean the bore unless you just intende to clean the chamber. The bore doesn't require cleaning like center fire rifles do. Perhaps once per year is only required to clean the bore.

If you intend to shoot for groups then I would not do that until at least 500 rounds/brick is fired through the bore. That's what I do as a standard on any new twenty two rifle I get. No need to buy copper coated bullets! Just buy standard non coated bullets is all you need to break in the barrel. Don't machine gun it through. Just shoot and try to keep barrel heat to a minimum.

Don't use WD-40!!! Your better off by using at least 3 in 1 oil instead. Better yet use an oil designed for guns.

Good luck,

Mail Clerk
Old 04-04-2010, 7:29 PM

Don't use WD-40. CLP should work fine.
Old 04-05-2010, 1:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Not to challenge anyone here but my grandfathers used wd-40, my father used wd-40 and I have used it on occasion on the guns that my grandpa owned and they are all still functioning today just as new. Thats.....3 generations (~50 years)of shooters with one gun using wd-40 to clean... Whats wrong with using WD-40?
Old 04-05-2010, 1:42 PM

WD-40 is a sticky attractant for dirt and grime. It lubricates for about three minutes, then becomes a dirt magnet. This is why bicycle mechanics do not use WD-40--it's as bad as no lube at all, probably worse. Try lubing a chain with WD-40. One hundred miles of riding (i.e. collecting metal-deteriorating debris), and the chain will have at least one seized link. It even kills skateboard bearings. WD-40 seems cheap, but it ends up as the most expensive maintenance you'll ever do. mif-slim: I have no idea how WD-40 didn't destroy three generations of guns.

As far as standard hardware lubricants, 3-in-1 oil is cheaper, much less sticky, and is useful for many situations. I have no idea what kind of situation WD-40 is useful for.

CLP is gtg.
Old 04-05-2010, 3:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
WD-40 is a sticky attractant for dirt and grime. It lubricates for about three minutes, then becomes a dirt magnet. This is why bicycle mechanics do not use WD-40--it's as bad as no lube at all, probably worse. Try lubing a chain with WD-40. One hundred miles of riding (i.e. collecting metal-deteriorating debris), and the chain will have at least one seized link. It even kills skateboard bearings. WD-40 seems cheap, but it ends up as the most expensive maintenance you'll ever do. mif-slim: I have no idea how WD-40 didn't destroy three generations of guns.

As far as standard hardware lubricants, 3-in-1 oil is cheaper, much less sticky, and is useful for many situations. I have no idea what kind of situation WD-40 is useful for.

CLP is gtg.
Yes, I know wd-40 is not a good lubrecant, I dont use it for any type of lubrecating. But for cleaning, I have used it on alot of things. Maybe thats why people are having trouble with them on their guns? They leave it on. We wipe it all off before adding Rem oil or the like.
Old 04-05-2010, 3:42 PM
Veteran Member

WD-40 is designed and intended for use as a Water Displacement, and is actually a lousy lubricant because it breaks down much faster than gun oil.

WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement - 40th Attempt". The inventor got the formula right on the 40th attempt. It only contains 15% lubricating oil, and is 75% mineral oil and petroleum gas.

Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

- Mihail Timofeevič Kalašnikov -
Old 04-05-2010, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif_slim View Post
Yes, I know wd-40 is not a good lubrecant, I dont use it for any type of lubrecating. But for cleaning, I have used it on alot of things. Maybe thats why people are having trouble with them on their guns? They leave it on. We wipe it all off before adding Rem oil or the like.
Ahhh...forgive my lack of reading comprehension. For cleaning I guess it could be fine--I have never tried cleaning with WD40 and following it up with something else.