Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 03-30-2010, 3:25 PM

Default Remington Model 12 to restore

About 35 or so years ago I was given the barrel and receiver of a Remington Model 12 .22 pump. The guy that gave it to me found it in a junk yard. It was sold as scrap metal.
It looked like crap then and hasn't changed much over the years. I kept it because "one of these days" I'll make it shoot-able.
I guess that day is just about here. Today I took it out of the shed and made an attempt to get some of the surface rust off. All of the years I've had it, I never really inspected it, until today. There's some pitting on the receiver but the innards, what there is of them, are rust free. The bore seems to be in good shape after I used a borebrush and cleaning rod attached to a drill.
It's missing the bolt assembly and furniture. I'll be using it to shoot sub-sonic rounds for pest control.

Anyone have an idea how much this will cost? Will post pix tomorrow.

Edit: It has a 24" octogon barrel.

Last edited by yelohamr; 03-30-2010 at 3:29 PM.. Reason: comment
Old 03-30-2010, 11:08 PM

first:

wanna sell it? I mean..... looooooooooooooook into my eyes........ you WAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNTTTTT to TRADE this for another BETTER 22!!!!!!!

YES????!!!!!!!!

sarge1572@verizon.net You don't REALLY want it. you want a 22 mag (I'll trade you one for this) How about a 22 MAG bolt action... Like new...............

second:

don't use the bore brush/drill again

Numrich has parts for these (http://www.gunpartscorp.com/) but you better have deep pockets (you REALLY want to sell it to Jeff........ ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllll it........ to JEFF)

they're the best gunz ever. (am I killing my chances here?)

oh yeah. in case you furgot, DON'T USE THE DRILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL and bore brush. It will rip up the rifling. If the bore is ugly, sharpen a wooden pencil and drive it into the muzzle. from the chamber end fill it with Marvel Mystery Oil and let it sit for a week. Take a brass bore brush (without the drill), pull the pencil, and run the brush through the bore 20 or 30 times. Still ugly?????? Drive the pencil BACK into the muzzle and from the breach end, fill the barrel with....... you guessed it, Marvel Mystery Oil. do this every couple o' days for 3 or 4 weeks (remember, it's been sitting for 35 years. Another couple of weeks is a drop in the bucket). After 5 or 6 times of MANUALLY running the brass bore brush through the bore should start to look pretty good. If it doesn't............ ssssssssseeeeeeellllllllllllll iiiiiiititttttttttt tttttttooooooooooo JJJJJJJJJJJEEEEEEEEFFFFFFFFFF

OK, sorry. But....

IF, on the other hand, you CAN'T WAIT and the only option is to use the bore brush and drilll - I'll work on it for FREE!!!!! JUST DON'T run the bore brush attached to your drill through the bore again.

I have a model 12A in my safe with a LOUSY rusted bore, round barrel... but nostalgic... It's the model gun I learned to shoot on. I'll give you a hunert bucks and a hunert rounds of ammo for a gun you have for it JUST because.....

Jeff

Your OTHER option, and the one I'm seriously considering, is...... if the bore can NOT be salvaged, have it resleeved. A NEW bore inserted. It costs about a hundred dollars and there are several places that do it, but you really have to WANT this gun....... and you know you want to trade it to ME!!!! HA

Last edited by sarge1572; 03-30-2010 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: stoopid....furgot stuff
Old 03-31-2010, 8:31 AM

I didn't use a brass bore brush and drill. It was a nylon brush.
I've kept it dry for 35 years but I don't know how long it was in the junk yard or any other history.

#3 shows the date of manufactur code July/1933
#'s 4 & 5 show other barrel stamps
MOD12.jpg
Old 03-31-2010, 9:42 AM

PHEW!!! Nylon.

Is the bore any good? There are lots of parts around for these. It would PROBABLY be easier and cheaper to buy a donor gun with a bad receiver/barrel and cannibalize it for the parts. I've seen them around as cheap as $75. Yard sales, gun shows...

If you're loaded you can probably find all the parts at places like Numrich.

I'd post in the WTB forum that you're looking for a donor gun, that doesn't work. I'll bet someone has one sitting in the corner. They're a fun little gun. This would be a good project.

One of these days I'll have a liner put in mine. One day.....
Old 03-31-2010, 9:56 AM

my grandpa gave me one of theses been sitting in the gun case for the last 30 yrs mint cond went to a gun shop said he would gimme 1800 for it i still have it
Old 03-31-2010, 11:45 AM

I have one that was either my great grandfathers, or my great great grandfathers. I've guestimated it to be made between 1912 and 15. Probably has not been shot in 50 years, if not more. I received it, and oiled it and cleaned it, and left it as is. Need to take it down to a gunsmith one day and have them tell me if I can shoot it, or if I should just leave it as is and keep it as a memory. It's a really cool gun, one day I'm going to restore it, that's for sure. I just don't know how to blue stuff, and I am going to work on restoring a couple of other stocks before I take a crack at this one.

Good luck on getting yours restored. You really would be better off ripping apart a donor gun, as I can see it'll be hard to even find one that isn't going for quite a bit of moneys on GB or something. Check out RimfireCentral.com, they have quite a few model 12's there too.
Old 03-31-2010, 1:18 PM

The rifiling in the bore looks okay. I pluged one end with a Q-tip and sprayed WD-40 in the bore. After an hour, ran a bore brush through it several times and the patches are cleaning out what looks to be carbon.
Old 04-01-2010, 8:11 AM

After doing some checking, it looks like the best option is to get a model 12 that I can canabalize for parts. Numrich doesn't have all the parts I need.

Thanks for the input. In the meantime, I can use it as a club.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:07 AM

I found a Model 12 today that is still shootable. The bore is pretty rough, so I can change out with the barrel I have.
Old 04-03-2010, 1:36 PM
Calguns Addict

http://www.wisnersinc.com/rifles/remington/pump22.html
Old 04-03-2010, 1:47 PM

Thanks, I might need some extra parts.
Old 04-04-2010, 9:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Good luck, I have a 12c my dad passed down to me, he had it about 10 years before I was born, and now I'm 26. It's still my favorite gun to shoot!

Reliable as hell and can load up plenty of rounds.

Tom
Old 04-04-2010, 2:53 PM

I have PDFs of an armorers manual and the factory manual. If anyone wants copies, just shoot me a PM with your email addy.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:56 PM

PM sent.
Old 04-06-2010, 1:15 PM

yelohamr got your PM, give me a couple days. Right now I'm away from the PC that has the PDF.
Old 04-06-2010, 2:36 PM

No problem.
Thanks.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:32 PM

The Mod. 12 I bought for parts, is shootable. After getting it home and checking the innards, it seems that it was never detail stripped and cleaned. A lot of lead fouling in the bore and chamber, but that can be cleaned up.
I removed the bullet and powder from a cartridge and the firing pin and ejector work. Next week I'll take it to the range.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Good for you, I hope it shoots well.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:34 PM

Still needs work but I fired a few rounds of Super Colibri quiet ammo at 3/4 inch plywood. The bullet hitting the plywood made more noise than the round going off. I put a target on a bale of straw and there was no noise.

This the 1st group I shot from about 25 feet, the distance I'll be shooting rats. Will have to aim about 4 inches low.
Old 04-26-2010, 5:53 PM

I'm taking my Remington Model 12 to the range tomorrow. The rifle I bought to use as parts, turns out to be one made in 1921. Got most of the rust off and ordered a new butt plate from Numrich. Within a month, I'll re-blue it. I'll eventually give it to my oldest grandson.
Old 04-27-2010, 3:30 PM

Went to the range and it shoots great. Only problem is, at 25 yds. POI is about 6 inches high.
Any suggestions other than aiming 6 inches low.?
Old 04-27-2010, 9:40 PM

Congratulations on getting your Model 12 up and running.

Re shooting high, is your front sight in a dovetail? If it is, you could put a taller front sight in. How did you assemble your rifle? Did you use any parts off of the original octagon barreled receiver on this assemble?

If you can't lower the rear sight enough, then you need to raise the front sight blade. The other option is, break out the file!!!!!! LOWER that rear sight blade; just make sure you make even, level cuts. Then reblue the sight blade.

Jeff
Old 04-28-2010, 8:49 AM

Didn't use the octogon barrel and reciever. Just cleaned up the complete rifle that I had bought to use as parts. Still some lead fouling in the bore, but I covered a 3 shot group with a nickel.

I think raising the front sight will be the way to go. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2010, 2:35 PM

Put a taller front sight on it. Try a williams firesight on their shorty dovetail ramp. If you are a traditionalist put a taller dovetail in gold bead such as willliams or marbles

Ed