Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-27-2010, 9:01 PM

Default Troubleshoot My Glock

past few trips to the range with the glock 23 . . . something didn't quite feel right. it doesn't FTF or FTE. but when i load the mag and rack the slide, it has a slight hitch before returning to battery. hasn't caused any malfunctions but it isn't quite as smooth as it was. should i be concerned? was it always like this and i never noticed? any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-27-2010, 9:02 PM

Have you been using the same ammo? Reloads?
Old 03-27-2010, 9:05 PM

Id polish up the feed ramp.
Old 03-27-2010, 9:09 PM

same ammo. not reloads. ammo ranges from WWB, remington, pmc and blazer. all of them feel that way.

i'll try polishing the feedramp. you think i should try some rubbing compound before polishing or just straight polish?
Old 03-27-2010, 9:20 PM

Before you put polish to the feed ramp, make sure your chamber is clean. Also not sure how many rounds you have through it, but recoil spring may be culprit.
Old 03-27-2010, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelcardenas77 View Post
Id polish up the feed ramp.
The feedramp guides the cartridge off the magazine and into the chamber, so that could be the problem (i.e. the cartridge hangs up a bit before it scoots into the chamber). This is often the problem if your pistol cycles normally with FMJ ball ammo but not with other bullet types.

There are other potential causes of failure of the slide to return to battery, if touching up your feedramp doesn't corret the problem. The common causes are: 1) gunked up/misaaligned/damaged slide ramp mating surfaces, and, 2) problems with the slide spring assembly (especially a "weak" spring).
Old 03-27-2010, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock-matic View Post
Before you put polish to the feed ramp, make sure your chamber is clean. Also not sure how many rounds you have through it, but recoil spring may be culprit.
+1

A Glock Armorer told me that after doing about 2500 rounds the recoil spring assembly should be replaced.

Old 03-27-2010, 9:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I am assuming different mags do this, right?

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 03-27-2010, 9:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Weak spring would be my guess.
Old 03-27-2010, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron View Post
The feedramp guides the cartridge off the magazine and into the chamber, so that could be the problem (i.e. the cartridge hangs up a bit before it scoots into the chamber). This is often the problem if your pistol cycles normally with FMJ ball ammo but not with other bullet types.

There are other potential causes of failure of the slide to return to battery, if touching up your feedramp doesn't corret the problem. The common causes are: 1) gunked up/misaaligned/damaged slide ramp mating surfaces, and, 2) problems with the slide spring assembly (especially a "weak" spring).
No disrespect but I didn't say it was going to correct it. Yes your right about the other stuff . I just figured he already did that anyways..
Old 03-27-2010, 9:57 PM

does it do the same thing unloaded? If you rack it it with no mag does it do this?
Old 03-27-2010, 10:02 PM

yes different mags do the same thing. it only does it when a loaded mag is in. it doesn't do it when unloaded.

i'll first try cleaning and polishing the feedramp. if that doesn't fix it, i'll try replacing the spring. i've only got like about 2,000 rounds through it but i'll give it a try.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodoostain View Post
yes different mags do the same thing. it only does it when a loaded mag is in. it doesn't do it when unloaded.

i'll first try cleaning and polishing the feedramp. if that doesn't fix it, i'll try replacing the spring. i've only got like about 2,000 rounds through it but i'll give it a try.
Not to be a nay-sayer or doomsayer, replace the spring first. The glock slide and bbl are tenifered and very hard, they shouldn't need polishing. Further, you could do mare harm than good with polishing it if you get the angle wrong or add a dip. Give it a good cleaning, if not, try the spring, they're cheap and easy.
Old 03-28-2010, 8:01 AM
Banned

Before you take out the dremel, buy a new spring, etc...don't.

You say it has a slight "hitch" when the slide goes back to battery, meaning it doesn't fully go into battery...DON'T RIDE THE SLIDE WITH YOUR HAND!

Rack it back and let it go. It's a Glock, you piss on it and it'll still shoot; don't baby it. After 5K rounds out of my G23, I have yet to replace any part...including the recoil spring.
Old 03-28-2010, 8:37 AM

I'm not quite sure why the standard answer to any failure to feed or return to battery problem is "polish the feed ramp." They should be smooth enough in their unaltered form to function reliably unless there's a very obvious gouge, in which case no amount of polishing will help since the geometry will be changed by the time you remove enough metal to get rid of the gouge.

Maybe my pet peeve carries over from being a 1911 owner where polishing the feed ramp and/or barrel throat almost always only masks the problem instead of addressing and correcting the real issue...

In any case, put the Dremel down and take it to a certified Glock armorer if you (or anybody else here) can't figure it out. If you go to a GSSF event, the on-site armorers will go through your gun for free and replace anything that is worn or needs to be updated.
Old 03-28-2010, 8:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Dawg View Post
Before you take out the dremel, buy a new spring, etc...don't.

You say it has a slight "hitch" when the slide goes back to battery, meaning it doesn't fully go into battery...DON'T RIDE THE SLIDE WITH YOUR HAND!

Rack it back and let it go. It's a Glock, you piss on it and it'll still shoot; don't baby it. After 5K rounds out of my G23, I have yet to replace any part...including the recoil spring.
Yea, definitely make sure you aren't riding the slide at all. Grip over the top of the slide with your whole hand and hit yourself in the shoulder when you pull it back and let go. This is to make sure your hand is not easing it forward in any way.

Are you running the factory recoil spring (weight)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWguy206 View Post
A Glock Armorer told me that after doing about 2500 rounds the recoil spring assembly should be replaced.
He's trying to sell you parts.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-28-2010, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridatsun350 View Post

He's trying to sell you parts.
I don't know but he told me it's Glock's recommendation since 2009. I talked to the guy in person at a gun show and he's seems really cool, easy to talked to, and answered all my questions.

http://www.theglockdoc.com/Glock_Maintenance.html

Old 03-28-2010, 9:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmerced View Post
i concur
Old 03-28-2010, 1:12 PM

i don't think i'm riding the slide at all. i've read that many times before so i make a conscious effort to make sure i just let the slide go. i have both the stock spring and a 17lb ismi spring captured on a stainless steel guide rod. both seem to do the same thing.
Old 03-28-2010, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodoostain View Post

Damn, 2000 rounds and already this problem? It seems like most everybody got at least 1 glock - it's all you hear about. I read a few glock problem posts here which is making me a little scared. One buddy said they are low end guns compared to Walther or Sig. But I figure compared to how many guys have them, you don't hear too much bad stuff. Are they overall good guns that you can trust your life to? A 9mm will probably be my 2nd purchase after a shotgun. After hearing some of the stuff on Calguns, maybe I'll wait another 6mo and save up for something more high end.
Old 03-28-2010, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btown View Post
Damn, 2000 rounds and already this problem? It seems like most everybody got at least 1 glock - it's all you hear about. I read a few glock problem posts here which is making me a little scared. One buddy said they are low end guns compared to Walther or Sig. But I figure compared to how many guys have them, you don't hear too much bad stuff. Are they overall good guns that you can trust your life to? A 9mm will probably be my 2nd purchase after a shotgun. After hearing some of the stuff on Calguns, maybe I'll wait another 6mo and save up for something more high end.
Absolute pieces of crap. Never buy a Glock. They jam, blow up, have no safety, magically unholster and shoot the owner, etc. You should believe your buddy. Walthers are the most reliable guns out there.

"everybody got at least 1 glock" because they work. Statistically, the number of problems with Glocks is lower than almost any other handgun out there. You occasionally hear about issues that can be easily fixed because there are so many out there. If you visit a Toyota or a Honda forum, you will see all sorts of information about common problems and how they can be fixed. That means they are crap cars, right?
Old 03-28-2010, 2:49 PM

Quote:
There is a reason why the Glock is used throughout many LE agencies.

What you need to understand is the .40 and 10mm is a much hotter round than the 9mm, which the Glock was originally designed for. The 10mm/.40s hammer the Glock pretty well, which is why there are recommendations to change parts out earlier than in other calibers.

The Gen4 Glocks seem to be built around the 10mm/.40 platform, (as the Glock 17 was for the 9mm) hence the beefier spring. You should see the parts for the 9mm Gen4s last "forever", since they are overengineered for that caliber.

For the OP's original issue, test the recoil spring in this manner (ensure the weapon is unloaded, of course):

Hold the pistol straight up in air (at least a 45degree angle - I do 90 degrees). Pull and hold the trigger back while pulling the slide to the rear. With the trigger still back, slowly ride the slide closed - it should feel like it catches before full battery, and when looking at the slide, the barrel and slide should look like all is in contact. At this point (trigger still the rear), let the slide go. If the spring is ok, it will complete the movement to full battery. If it doesn't, replace the spring.

I wouldn't dick around with removing metal from any part of the Glock. Bring it to a certified armorer and have them look at it, or ship it back to Glock and they'll ensure it's fixed correctly for you.

NRA Endowment Member
NRA Certified Pistol, Personal Protection,
Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor
Glock Certified Armorer

Last edited by Once A Marine; 03-28-2010 at 4:52 PM..
Old 03-28-2010, 4:13 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't trip, every semi auto will need a recoil spring change at some point, most about the 2k-5k range. Glocks are very reliable, much more so than most brands. I wouldn't be discouraged.
Old 03-28-2010, 4:47 PM

I like apples you like oranges doesn't mean Glocks a bad gun, you will get various opinions, it also does not mean you won't get a "bad Glock" that has an issue, this applies to all guns.
Worst case send it back to Glock they are real good about taking care of their customers.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:15 PM

Haven't read the other posts in this thread but the first two things that come to mind are ammo and recoil spring. The recommended interval for replacing the recoil spring is 2,000 rounds, I believe. WWB ammo used to give a few of my autoloading guns problems in terms of not returning fully to battery. I would always have to give it a tap on the back of the slide with the palm of my weak hand to get it to fully return to battery.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:53 AM

Glock feed ramps are usually very good as is, I wouldn't bother polishing them just make sure its clean.

What kind of ammo are u using? That may be a cause of the problem. Have you tried different ammo? Usually it isn't a big deal with glocks but occasionally it does happen.

Make sure the chamber is clean. Make sure the slide is clean including the lug that strips a round off the magazine.

Have you been using petroleum lube? maybe it's gunked up make sure you detail strip it and check every thing.

When you are running low on ammo does the hitch still exist or only when it is full?

Magazines dirty? maybe grit is not allowing the mag spring to give a little.

Check all this essentially free stuff first, then either call Glock or replace the recoil spring.
Old 03-29-2010, 1:08 AM
Calguns Addict

little known fact:

Glock .40sw models have life expectancy of about 2500 rounds, being designed for police use so they don't expect much use other than yearly qualifying and those occasional shootings.

SO your gun is basically done. I'll take it off your hands for 250, since I need some .40 sw parts.

PM me your contact info.

Did that work?

Why CA gun rights needs more work:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booshanky View Post
I'll say it for the 50th time. I AM NOT A SINGLE ISSUE VOTER.
I'm a freakin socialist for christs sake. I'm not going to vote for some republican just so he can funnel even more money to the oligarchs that run this country, just because he's pro 2a.
Old 03-29-2010, 8:38 AM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Is this only with fully loaded 10rd mags? Try with just one round in the mag. If it is caused by tight mags, only load 9 rounds.

And the replacement recoil assembly with spring is CHEAP, replace it and see if that changes anything.
Old 03-29-2010, 8:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmerced View Post
Yeah, possibly....

They sell aftermarket ones that are nice upgrades...

I'd try that before polishing the feed ramp...
Old 03-29-2010, 11:02 AM

2000 rounds is nothing, it's not even broken in yet. I stopped keeping track a few years ago(got lazy), but I had 10450 listed as my last entry for my Glock19(i only count in multiples of 50 since I just about always shoot full box quantities) I've shot another 5-6k since then, judging by how much 9mm I've bought over the years. All parts are original, and it still looks almost new when I clean and oil it. It still functions perfectly.

-madmike.

I would like to say something profound here...
Old 03-29-2010, 12:26 PM

thanks for the input guys. i'll keep investigating.
Old 03-29-2010, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
2000 rounds is nothing, it's not even broken in yet. I stopped keeping track a few years ago(got lazy), but I had 10450 listed as my last entry for my Glock19(i only count in multiples of 50 since I just about always shoot full box quantities) I've shot another 5-6k since then, judging by how much 9mm I've bought over the years. All parts are original, and it still looks almost new when I clean and oil it. It still functions perfectly.

-madmike.
It certianly makes for a great story and is a testament to the engineering of the Glock, but with that many rounds through it at least have it inspected to ensure all parts are within proper specs and tolerances. Especially if you rely on the pistol for more than just punching holes in paper.

NRA Endowment Member
NRA Certified Pistol, Personal Protection,
Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor
Glock Certified Armorer