Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Private Firearms Sales - Long Guns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Private Firearms Sales - Long Guns For the private sale of rifles, shotguns and other long guns. Read the rules before posting.

Old 03-26-2010, 3:53 PM

Default WTS: Israeli Mauser K98, 7.62x51 NATO - SPF

WTS: Israeli Mauser K98, 7.62x51 NATO / .308 Winchester. EDIT: SPF, thanks for looking!!!

Hi, Calguns!

I'm downsizing my collection, and one of the last pieces to go is this one: a great-looking Israeli Mauser. These rifles are chambered in a more practical, modern, and easy-to-find caliber, and all markings are sharp. Pictures tell most of the story on this rifle, but the rifle is in great condition, makes an excellent shooter, and has a really beautiful old-school patina to it. The action on this is outstanding, too. Way smoother than an out-of-the box CZ550, in fact!

This gun has been gunsmith-inspected and professionally cleaned. If you're looking for a great shooter with a lot of history (at a great price), this is the one for you.

Will only sell Face-to-Face at Turner's Outdoorsman (Pasadena), IAC (San Fernando), Gun Runners (Duarte) or Gun World (Burbank).

SPF.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by The Hanged Man; 04-19-2010 at 5:40 PM..
Old 03-26-2010, 3:57 PM

Default Additional pics

Old 03-26-2010, 3:57 PM

Default And finally...

Old 03-26-2010, 4:04 PM

Hot damn 350 for an Israeli Mauser is a pretty good price. This should go fast.
Old 03-26-2010, 4:34 PM

Pardon my ignorance but is this a c&r so c&c?
Old 03-27-2010, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROTC sniper View Post
Pardon my ignorance but is this a c&r so c&c?
Not a risk I'm willing to take, sorry: must go through a dealer as far as I'm concerned. Here's my reasoning:

From Wikipedia as per the ATF:
"Any firearm sold as a C&R weapon once changed out of its original configuration cannot be resold as a C&R weapon." Also, its stance on modifications SEEMS to reset the clock on "when it was made".

So, since these were rebarreled by the Israelis, and since there's no way for me to know when these were given a .308 / 7.62 x 51 barrel, it's possible that if it was done in 1961 or later, this WOULD NOT meet the 50-year requirement of a Curio and Relic firearm under this interpretation. Israeli-Stamped Mausers do not appear on the Federal Curio and Relic list, either.

Long story short, it's not something I'm interested in debating. The sale will go through a dealer.
Old 03-27-2010, 9:41 AM

Default Questions

Does the stock have any cracks?

Are there any rust under the woodline? Was that addressed during the inspection and cleaning by the smith?

Was the stock cleaned as well?

How many years have you owned the rifle?
Old 03-27-2010, 1:31 PM

Good questions. I'll try my best to answer them.

1. The stock doesn't have any cracks or splits. Photos show the dings and scrapes typical of rifles of this type and period.

2. The professional cleaning included a test-fire and removal of all cosmoline. When I got it, this gun was thick with the stuff. I don't believe that the stock was cleaned or refinished at that time. I just took a peek under the upper handguard (don't know enough about Mausers to disassemble it fully), and no rust. My goal was to turn it into a functional shooter, not a showroom piece. It shoots great.

3. I've owned it for the last 2 years. The only reason I'm getting rid of it is because I find myself going to my indoor, pistol-only range far more than I actually get out to the outdoor rifle range. During the time I've had it, I've put maybe 80 or so rounds through it without any hiccups. It's a solid performer out to 200 yards.
Old 03-29-2010, 2:00 PM

Monday bump!
Old 03-29-2010, 2:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hanged Man View Post
Not a risk I'm willing to take, sorry: must go through a dealer as far as I'm concerned. Here's my reasoning:

From Wikipedia as per the ATF:
"Any firearm sold as a C&R weapon once changed out of its original configuration cannot be resold as a C&R weapon." Also, its stance on modifications SEEMS to reset the clock on "when it was made".

So, since these were rebarreled by the Israelis, and since there's no way for me to know when these were given a .308 / 7.62 x 51 barrel, it's possible that if it was done in 1961 or later, this WOULD NOT meet the 50-year requirement of a Curio and Relic firearm under this interpretation. Israeli-Stamped Mausers do not appear on the Federal Curio and Relic list, either.

Long story short, it's not something I'm interested in debating. The sale will go through a dealer.
Nice rifle. I was reading what You wrote. I did not know this. So a garand with a barrel from the 60's is not a C&R?
Old 03-29-2010, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3572001 View Post
Nice rifle. I was reading what You wrote. I did not know this. So a garand with a barrel from the 60's is not a C&R?
Truth be told, I'm just making 100% sure I'm not breaking any laws, and I'm citing that information as a plausible reason for why I'm not willing to do cash and carry. Posting on a C&R-dedicated forum might turn up some better answers, and I don't claim to be an authority.

I'm just a dude trying to make sure he's legally square in selling this rifle.
Old 03-29-2010, 2:52 PM

OP:
Nice rifle. I understand your concerns and if that's how you feel, it's your rifle to sell in a manner you see fit. People will just need to factor that their assessment of your price.

What about those potential buyers who have a C&R FFL themselves? Is your concern that this is not a C&R rifle at all or just that you don't know if it's >50yrs old?

-g
Old 03-29-2010, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Truth be told, I'm just making 100% sure I'm not breaking any laws, and I'm citing that information as a plausible reason for why I'm not willing to do cash and carry. Posting on a C&R-dedicated forum might turn up some better answers, and I don't claim to be an authority.

The barrel has the month and year of the rebarrel from 8mm to 7.62 NATO. For the IDF Mauser, it is normally found on the left hand side of the of the barrel, sometimes under the wood line, in front of the receiver's serial number.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/curios-relics/

The provided hyperlink offers some insight on the C&R definition.
Old 03-29-2010, 5:05 PM
In Memoriam

I recall when Samco (or Century?) was selling these and they were not C&R because the rework was done in the 60's. I am all about cash and carry transactions (even in the mail) when appropriate; I don't think this is one of them.
Old 03-29-2010, 6:39 PM

You would not be breaking the law.

Law is made by our elected officials.

This comes for the BATFE firearms technology division using circular logic applying the previous ruling of a C&R by name if modified is not C&R (which makes sense that if by name and you change it, well its not by name anymore) with a FAT DORRITTO EATING BATFE bureaucrat issuing the memo that this now applied to C&R by age as well since he was applying his political beliefs/opinions in deciding this is now the law.

This is the infamous Doritos's memo.

Not sure when fat Dorito eating bureaucrat were given the authority to start making laws.

Quote:

Old 03-30-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
I recall when Samco (or Century?) was selling these and they were not C&R because the rework was done in the 60's. I am all about cash and carry transactions (even in the mail) when appropriate; I don't think this is one of them.
Unfortunately, this is kind of the reasoning I'm going by. If I'm being overzealous, I risk losing a potential sale. However, if I sell this rifle cash-and-carry, I could potentially be breaking the law. As I've said before, the sale will go through a FFL dealer via a FTF transaction.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:12 AM

Whoa, hey, whoa, hey!

Bump time!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As far as C&R goes, it may or may not still be C&R by design. BUT, it is C&R as far as the 50 year thing goes. There is no arguing that the firearm is over 50 years old and thus qualifies as C&R that way. Of course, the seller can put any restrictions on his sale that he wants to. At least, for now. Once the full extent of "Hope and Change" is felt, we may not be free to run our own personal bussiness the way we want to.

BTW, I'd love to pick this up. It's just bad timing for me. If you still have it when I find some extra cash, I'll jump on it.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 04-03-2010, 2:16 PM

Saturday bump for this rifle!
Old 04-04-2010, 2:48 PM

Another bump for a shooter that's got a lot of history. Stamped right on it, in fact!
Old 04-05-2010, 9:41 PM

Price is right on this one, bore is good, action is super smooth. Would love to keep as a historical curiosity, but the cash will go into something I'll shoot more. Who's it going home with?
Old 04-06-2010, 8:40 AM
In Memoriam

Default K98 for sale

Hanged Man,
If you were selling this in San Jose, I would have already bought it and gladly paid the PPT fee. Does the rear sight base have an S42 mark on it?

Peter in CA
Old 04-07-2010, 2:48 PM

Bumpity bumpity.

I'll answer Peter's question (and anyone else's) when I'm back at home and have access to the rifle.
Old 04-09-2010, 4:22 PM

No S42 on the rear sight base.

Also, the rifle is still for sale. Don't pass up a chance to own one of the most ironic rifles in the history of small arms!
Old 04-12-2010, 1:53 AM

To anyone following this thread or interested: I've lowered the price!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:33 AM

This thread goes __________ in the night.
Old 04-16-2010, 4:02 PM

Try not to ________ your head when entering this thread.
Old 04-18-2010, 8:13 PM

Bumpity
Old 04-18-2010, 10:22 PM

If I didn't already have one of these, it would be SOOOO gone...
Old 04-19-2010, 12:40 AM
Calguns Addict

That is really cool. My CA ID is on it's way in the mail. I wish I had the money.
Hope you sell it!
Old 06-02-2010, 1:27 PM
Calguns Addict

if you call atf and check about the mauser's c&r status let me know i will be watching
Old 06-02-2010, 1:46 PM

Already gone...

sorry, somebody should lock this one up...

Freerange IT guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
F*** yeah.

CGF and NRA and CRPA Foundation: when you absolutely, positively have to sue every motherf***** in the room.